• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also, ive noticed that when you build a mining station in one system, you cant seem to build one in another. They all pile up in the first system even though theres no aviable slot for a mining station, or they simply wont be built. Anyone else have the same issue?

I've given my fleet a formation in Fleet manager, but how do I make them move like that once they're in battle?
Usually they just start in a straight line, and when I move them in a different direction (other then the direction they're facing) they keep that silly line formation but now in the wrong way.
I dont want to nitpick and give them a formation each time I move them around, I just want to be able to push a button and have them go back into their predefined formation.

Tactical? Where?'

I just wondering. Are there any tactical options in SotsII?
I cant find it. I get loos after the first command. It ends up in a mess.
And the winner is... The one who has either more Ships or stronger arms.
Are im alone with this opinion?
Where is the tactical Weapon range sensor
Where is the stance button
Roll? For what?
Spin? Why?
Backboard to enemy X and shoot them to dust! Yes, taht could be useful!
Raise Shilds in cost of Firepower! Cool
All energy to drives and get the hell out of here! Human!
Clock enemy sensors. Counterclock it. Counter counterclock it if you want.
Activate Stealth.... Switch to visual track system. They have telescopes! Are they?
Activate invisibility systems.
And so on.. Come one this is sci fi so be creative!!!
I hope there will come a lot more than what it is available now.
The strategic and research part are very well so far. But tactics???:blink:

I just wondering. Are there any tactical options in SotsII?
Ummm...do you mean positioning of fleet, fleet formation, mixing and matching long ranged and short ranges ships and the various weapon load outs as well as stances in battle as well as being able to manipulate individual ships or entire groups etc etc etc. Yes.
I cant find it. I get loos after the first command. It ends up in a mess.
Practice makes perfect
And the winner is... The one who has either more Ships or stronger arms.
Not my experience, I've had plenty of battles where a few well managed ships have done well in the game. Granted the AI currently is a bit weak, but getting better and should recive some lov'n next few patches as we approach Dec 16.
Are im alone with this opinion?
Yep
Where is the tactical Weapon range sensor
Not sure I know what you mean here, do you mean like a ring around your ship indicating range, or in the weapon data showing short, medium and long range thresholds? The ring / range indicator is coming, the weapon data is already present (look in design screen or the tech tree and click details).
Where is the stance button
It's a long white "thin" strip to the left of the speed/tactical wheel in bottom center of battle manager/screen
Roll? For what?
Allows you to bring weapons to bear that ordinarly wouldn't be able to fire (rolling a ship will let it fire weapons as they come to bear on your target etc).
Spin? Why?
Same reasons, but on a plane instead of vertical like roll does. Both options also allow you to spread the damage incoming to front/middle/rear/top/bottom armors as well.
Backboard to enemy X and shoot them to dust! Yes, taht could be useful!
???
Raise Shilds in cost of Firepower! Cool
???
All energy to drives and get the hell out of here! Human!
Increase speed to x3, it will reduce your scanning range, as well as reduce your weapons fire especially if they are energy based.
Clock enemy sensors. Counterclock it. Counter counterclock it if you want.
Do you mean ECM, ECCM and ECCCM?
Activate Stealth.... Switch to visual track system. They have telescopes! Are they?
Stealth is available in the research (Liir and Morrigi I believe have highest chances at it)
Activate invisibility systems.
See previous answer
And so on.. Come one this is sci fi so be creative!!!
Ummm...up to player, lots of tools to be so in SotS 2
I hope there will come a lot more than what it is available now.
Perhaps you should explore the game a bit more.
The strategic and research part are very well so far. But tactics???:blink:
Up to the individual player I believe, there are plenty of toys and features in game to allow this.

You have read the tactical guide present in this thread right? heh However if you aren't capable of doing this you might want to wait till after the 16th when game should be at or near intended release state. Good luck, sounds like you'll need it.

where is the "like"-Button if you need it? good thing SFCShadow =)

is there a "Pause"-Button in the game? i think it could be very stressful to play with a big fleet, rolling every ship as you need it and watching the battlefield without pausing the game... hope they will include it soon - i know its not good for multiplayer, but you could disable this option in this case...

where is the "like"-Button if you need it? good thing SFCShadow =)

is there a "Pause"-Button in the game? i think it could be very stressful to play with a big fleet, rolling every ship as you need it and watching the battlefield without pausing the game... hope they will include it soon - i know its not good for multiplayer, but you could disable this option in this case...

Yep, there is a pause in the tactical/battle manager, I use it all the time (mostly to take screenshots, but also to coordinate various sections/ships etc. :)

Oh "P" = Pause. ;)

Last edited:
Don't forget that the game also has 3 "levels" so you can simulate a 3D aspect to battles as well, A high plane, middle plane and lower plane (you can even setup your ships in the fleet manager for those three planes as well as formation. ;) As well as control your ships in battle by assigning them to any of the 3 planes at will. ;) (Another useful reason for rolling, also you can have your ships do partial rolls/rotations (in 90deg increments or banking) so if a ship is below you, and you want to fire a broadside, roll to the right or left and fire away! ;) Or just rotate to cover a weakended armor in a more perminant fashion instead of spreading the fire with the roll command.

well.. the game is now really stable and had some combats with approaching the enemy *woohooo* ...

But I have some question now:

Turning Ships: Clicking on Rolling and Spinning make the ships turn 360° ... i wanted just to turn the ship 180° (wanted to show the enemy my left side, after my right one got really hurt). Is the only possibility to fly a curve?

Distances: I have some armour ships with gauss and mass driver and some - like Supporters or Carriers - with Rockets. My plan was to let the range firing ships behind the lines to support the armours with missile fire. But I still have no clue about distances.... The enemy ship ignored my armoured ships and attacked my carrier ship - they just needed 2 seconds to get into fire range. So my question is, is there an easy way to get a feeling for distances or anything else...

Is there a possibility to see the enemy's damages on structure?

Now i know how to pause the game, but it seems i have to unpause and pause again to see the progress... hope they will make that better soon

Repair: Can someone put a manual about repairing ships? I tried a little bit how to choose some single ships for repair, but i surrendered and clicked repair all - i didnt know if that was good at this moment, cuz the enemy is still in my sun system and i wanted them to stay ready for the fight and not being in a repair dock or so...

In fight i had some strange issues with my energy.. it was really quick at 0% ... is that a bug or do i just have no energy in a short time... Ships were still movable and could fire though

I wanted to move my ships in a direction, but nothing happened (no arrows) there was just a red Cross hair ... what does that mean?

thank you

AB

well.. the game is now really stable and had some combats with approaching the enemy *woohooo* ...

But I have some question now:

Turning Ships: Clicking on Rolling and Spinning make the ships turn 360° ... i wanted just to turn the ship 180° (wanted to show the enemy my left side, after my right one got really hurt). Is the only possibility to fly a curve?

Yes; you cant fly 'backwards'. If you want to show your other side, just roll the ship 180* so the top is facing down.

Distances: I have some armour ships with gauss and mass driver and some - like Supporters or Carriers - with Rockets. My plan was to let the range firing ships behind the lines to support the armours with missile fire. But I still have no clue about distances.... The enemy ship ignored my armoured ships and attacked my carrier ship - they just needed 2 seconds to get into fire range. So my question is, is there an easy way to get a feeling for distances or anything else...

Not really at the moment. Hopefully well get range and firing arc displays like in SotS I eventually.

Is there a possibility to see the enemy's damages on structure?

No, apart from looking at how badly they're leaking things and burning.

Yes; you cant fly 'backwards'. If you want to show your other side, just roll the ship 180* so the top is facing down.
I believe his question implies that someone tell him how to do just that, as he has already used the options for the full 360. In fact I would like an answer to that too. Is it as simple as clicking it again?

I believe his question implies that someone tell him how to do just that, as he has already used the options for the full 360. In fact I would like an answer to that too. Is it as simple as clicking it again?

Im not sure I understand your question properly; are you asking how to roll a ship 180*? Its done by clicking the little arrows in the center part of the manuevering panel (thing in the bottom centre of the combat screen); the little arrows are next to the green parts representing the health of directional armour, and the one clicked will end up facing 'up'. Have a look at the first combat guide on page one for clarification.

If you were asking something else, then please rephrase or elaborate, as I may have misinterpreted.

well.. there is ROLL and SPIN ... yes you can roll with this arrows, but thats just usefull for vertical positioning.. whats more important is to spin 180° (or anything else between 1 and 360°)

I'm not seeing how that achieves anything that cannot be achieved with the roll function. They are useful for much more than shooting downwards.

Furthermore, as said, since the game does not use newtonian mechanics for its spaceflight model, flying 'backwards' (ie spin 180*) isnt sensible anyway.

Last edited:
I think He is wanting to lock a ship at a roll interval, That is done via the triangles in the center of the command area. They are right below the roll and spin commands.
You can use it to fly upside down or on your side.
You can not lock a spin position.