• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can mention two things for tactical

- ctrl-pageup speeds up time, ctrl-pagedown speeds it down. This is the same as in SOTS1. It is not the same as "accelerated time" ,which is used for travelling. This will speed up exploring a system to find your enemies

- bug: after battle, you see the results and click ok. Do NOT click a second time ok, even if the game takes a bunch of seconds to respond. Clicking a second time "OK" might get you crashed to desktop (this is not confirmed, as it rarely happened, so it might be something else)

In my experience I just get the game menu to come up if I hit OK twice. Perhaps if you keep hitting it you will eventually crash.

The part that I seem to be having the most trouble with is setting up ship positions before I actually get into combat; the whole concept of capturing different sectors of the tactical map with my ships makes sense, but I can't seem to figure out how to actually do anything with it and it's rather frustrating when my ships start in the same sectors each time.

The part that I seem to be having the most trouble with is setting up ship positions before I actually get into combat; the whole concept of capturing different sectors of the tactical map with my ships makes sense, but I can't seem to figure out how to actually do anything with it and it's rather frustrating when my ships start in the same sectors each time.

You can only reposition ships if theyre on Patrol or Invasion missions. To do so, in the Strategic phase, right click the system combat is happening at, and go to Defence Manager. There you can drop your fleets into the system. However, this only works if your fleet has a formation assigned in fleet manager.

You need to go into the defence manager for the system. Then just drag and drop IIRC.

You can only reposition ships if theyre on Patrol or Invasion missions. To do so, in the Strategic phase, right click the system combat is happening at, and go to Defence Manager. There you can drop your fleets into the system. However, this only works if your fleet has a formation assigned in fleet manager.

Aha, I think the last bit might have been what I was missing. I'll take a poke around when I get home.

Elouda, awesome job. With you on board, community will have real manual in a week :)
Would be great if Kerberos joined forces with you and helped / used what you did in manual, tutorial or encyclopedia. I found out some of the stuff you put together, but nowhere near everything and certainly couldn't put it on internet in one spreadsheet that is easy to understand.

I don't know why you have question marks after ripple and alpha, however as far as I can tell, Ripple would work like this: say you have 5 UV lasers that have a recharge of of 5 seconds. the first would fire, then the 2nd one would fire after exactly one second and then the third and so on until the first is recharged again. Alpha would probably be those 5 UV lasers firing at exactly the same time for the most damage at the point in time.

Elouda, Kerebros should hire you. Judging from the production quality of the manual, they need a good tech writer .

I don't know why you have question marks after ripple and alpha, however as far as I can tell, Ripple would work like this: say you have 5 UV lasers that have a recharge of of 5 seconds. the first would fire, then the 2nd one would fire after exactly one second and then the third and so on until the first is recharged again. Alpha would probably be those 5 UV lasers firing at exactly the same time for the most damage at the point in time.

That is how i interpreted it too, but its pretty hard to keep track of that in combat to verify it. Thats why it would be great if one of the devs could verify it, just a 'yes' or 'lol,no' would suffice. No doubt they've other concern at the moment though.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, will do my best to explain what I can. =D

Really nice thread. Great work.

Small thing, now that you have begun adding combat 102 etc. maybe changing the thread title if possible?

One other question, where you got the damage profiles, I didn't see them in research or design screens. Directly from files?

Yep. They're a little arcane in presentation there though, but once you get the general idea it isnt too hard to peice em togeather. I also try to check them in combat when possible, incase theres any oddities like the Particle beam.