The Non-Steam Version Request - Sign Here If You Want It [1 post/person]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The confusion you show here is exactly why I have NOT bought the game through Steam. Some folks are not as disciplined as I am, I suppose. I've had more time to practice. If I were weak, then yes, I would buy a second non-Steam version.

I hate to say it, but I'm really not one to be overly concerned with making it easy for a developer. I know that was the explanation given for the Steam decision, and I can appreciate it; but it does not make any consideration of the buyer at all.

Yes, I have a Steam account. I've never purchased a game through Steam, however. Don't like it.

It wasn't done to be easy on the developer, it was done to avoid the 2 week time difference between different vendors getting patches out.

Edit: Everyone does know that the game is currently for sale from every major Digital distributor, and does not need to be purchased through Steam? Steam is simply used for updates and achievements. The game can even be run without Steam installed.

Last edited:
It wasn't done to be easy on the developer, it was done to avoid the 2 week time difference between different vendors getting patches out.

Edit: Everyone does know that the game is currently for sale from every major Digital distributor, and does not need to be purchased through Steam? Steam is simply used for updates and achievements. The game can even be run without Steam installed.

When this thread was created, it was requested that votes only be made and to refrain from comments and discussion among each other. Please do so and stay on topic (what was requested in the original post). Make a separate thread if you must make comment. Not doing so does have consequences, so avoid them okay? Do NOT respond to this post (mine) as that will be breaking two rules and cause you more issues. ;) I know some only mean well, but do so elsewhere. ;)

YES! PLEASE give us sword of the stars 2 w/o the steam sh...!!! I own 2 copies of the first part (the normal version and the drm free(!) collector's edition) and would gladly buy sots2 if you get rid of steam! Even a normal copy protection (DVD in drive) would be ok... but please no always-online-sh... or other unwanted third party software like steam! If a game has steam as prerequisite it is a definite NO-BUY for me and a lot of my friends!

Signed. Steam is giving me a lot of trouble. Not all people live in places with great internet connections. More often than not, I get the message: 'The steam servers are currently unavailable' or 'The steam servers are to busy'. Not to mention that installing a game is a matter of days. Installing from a disk is so much faster.