• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mad Professor

Colonel
42 Badges
Nov 12, 2006
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
teutonicordercharge.jpg

Welcome to this Teutonic Order AAR
Feel free to give advice
Difficulty: hard
Heir to the throne
No gamey tactics
No "reload-cheats"
I promise

Intro
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13012901&viewfull=1#post13012901

Chapter I, a new century
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13018452&viewfull=1#post13018452

Chapter II, never was anything great achieved without danger, 1406-1426 A.D.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13019806&viewfull=1#post13019806

Chapter III, integrating Pskov and another war
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13020137&viewfull=1#post13020137

Chapter IV, Leopold, Paul and Heinrich
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13028180&viewfull=1#post13028180

Chapter V, german affairs
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13035272&viewfull=1#post13035272

Chapter VI, quiet years
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13050811&viewfull=1#post13050811

Chapter VII, Prussia and the Protestant reformation in Sicily
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13051051&viewfull=1#post13051051

Chapter VIII, Happy days
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13054740&viewfull=1#post13054740

Chapter IX, the death of King Albrecht I
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13057948&viewfull=1#post13057948

Chapter X, a new King comes of age
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13077227&viewfull=1#post13077227

Chapter XI, neighbour in trouble
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13078558&viewfull=1#post13078558

Chapter XII, the deeds of August Wilhelm I
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13082165&viewfull=1#post13082165

Chapter XIII, days of Friedrich Wilhelm I, part1: Fear and loathing in Köningsberg
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rdAAR-1399&p=13093404&viewfull=1#post13093404

Last edited:
Intro

ridder.gif
ridder.gif
ridder.gif
ridder.gif
ridder.gif
ridder.gif
ridder.gif
ridder.gif

Formed at the end of the 12th century in Acre, in the Levant, the medieval Order played an important role in Outremer, controlling the port tolls of Acre.

After Christian forces were defeated in the Middle East, the Order moved to Transylvania in 1211 to help defend Hungary against the Kipchak Turks. The Knights were expelled in 1225, after allegedly attempting to place themselves under Papal instead of Hungarian sovereignty.

In 1230, following the Golden Bull of Rimini, Hochmeister Hermann von Salza and Duke Konrad I of Masovia launched the Prussian Crusade, a joint invasion of Prussia intended to Christianize the Baltic Old Prussians. The Order then created the independent Monastic State of the Teutonic Knights in the conquered territory, and subsequently conquered Livonia.

The Kings of Poland accused the Order of holding lands rightfully theirs.
With their close relationship with Lithuania, due to the king of Poland also being Grand Duke of Lithuania, the existence of the very Order itself was threatened.

In 1399, the Army of the Order was a mere 3000 strong, and it was decided by Hochmeister Konrad von Jungingen that it was to be expanded. Recruitment of able men started throughout the Order's lands.

Looks like this'll be good, you don't see that many H3T stories anymore.
Subbed.

Chapter I, a new century

konigsbergk.jpg

Köningsberg, winter 1400

As men throughout the country was being recruited to the Orders army, the lithuanian minority in the Samohitia region grew more and more suspicous. Eventually, in june 1400 A.D. they mustered an army two thousand strong led by Aleksandras Ostrogiskis. Trying to take control of the province and wanting to become a protectorate of Lithuania.

The Order's army now seven thousand strong, and led by the Hochmeisters cousin, Ulrich von Jungingen, quickly put an end to their ambitions. Aleksandras is executed for high treason together with a dozen other rebel leaders

28618149.jpg

1406 A.D.

As the Holy Roman Emperor dies in battle in Hungary, the electors decide they need a ruler from a less agressive dynasty. Albrecht IV of Austria is elected new Emperor. Congratulations!

At this time we have military alliances with Brandenburg and Bohemia, promising to help eachother in times of need.

Last edited:
Chapter II, Never was anything great achieved without danger 1406-1426 A.D.

We heard from the Catholic minority in Pskov that they were being severely mistreated by the Orthodox majority and the leaders in particular
This was taken into consideration for the future

During these years, the Churches of the Order were transformed into works of art. By lending our patronage to a native tradition of iconography, we could now be seen as a cultural beacon of Christendom.
The heathens of Samogitia are also converted to the one true faith in these years.

While out riding with his guard in the year 1419 A.D. Hochmeister Konrad has an accident and is severely wounded. Luckily he survives, but he decides to retire from office.

crusaders2.jpg

Konrad, after the accident

Leopold Wilhelm I is elected new Hochmeister

eu325.jpg

Leopold Wilhelm I, being more of a hardliner than Konrad, decides that the catholic minority of Pskov will suffer no more.

Orders are sent out to the army to get ready to move. Ambassadors and spies are to find out how neighbouring countries will react.

They soon find out that Lithuania, Novgorod, Tver and Muscovy is entangled in a great eastern war - seems they're in all vs. all, fighting for God knows what. At least for the Order, being not the strongest power in the region, this seems a good time to solve some small issues.

An ultimatum is sent to Pskov with a messenger, and when his horse returns without him, our army march in and lay siege to the capital.

The merchant republic of Novgorod sends armies to protect their little friend in the west.

Soon Pskov surrenders, agreeing to our claims: Pskov will be ruled by a Catholic bishop paying a tribute to the Order.

In the war against Novgorod, our army is ever so triumphant, and eventually Novgorod also agrees to our demands.
President Knyaz of Novgorod was on january 1st, 1426, baptized in the mouth of the river Neva. Catholicism is introduced as state religion, and the small region Ingermanland is ceded to the Order.

eu330.jpg

Chapter III, Integrating Pskov and another war

1435 A.D.
After the bishopric of Pskov and the region around was successfully converted to the catholic faith, it was integrated into the Order.

eu332g.jpg

In the late 1440, war breaks out between Lithuania and Bohemia. The situation gets out of control as rebels cross the border into Teutonic lands. Action is taken and an army of 16.000 men cross into Lithuania and lays siege to several cities. Vilna is taken together with several other cities, and peace is declared after the Tverian rebels sre granted independence from the Lithuanian crown.

eu338.jpg

Notes:

During these last decades the Order's position has effectively been strenghtened. The problem is that some of our neighbours have strenghtened themselves even more.

Lithuania is large but weak compared to their size. Bohemia, on the other hand, has annexed Pommerania and Brandenburg, and also most of Poland har been incorporated into their realm.
This makes Bohemia the strongest nation in the area by far. And with their aggressive behavior these last decades makes them extremely dangerous.
The Emperor in Wien has shown his incompetence in letting this happen, we are allied withh him but does not put much faith in that he will come to our rescue should the Bohemian behemoth come down on us.

To make things even worse, the swedes has turned themselves into a BBB! Bordering the Order in the north, they pose grave danger.

Eastern Europe, 1455 A.D.
eu339.jpg

You destroyed Novgorod like that :eek:
also, don't worry, Austria will have everything under control. You will know when France, Bohemia, half of Germany and Austria have the same king.

You destroyed Novgorod like that :eek:

Yes, they were exhausted after fighting with Lithuania and the Muscovians for years, and when I beat their army in the first battle, it seemed they had no more manpower. "I just had to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure came down"

also, don't worry, Austria will have everything under control. You will know when France, Bohemia, half of Germany and Austria have the same king.

I hope so, Bohemia is so huge right now I even fear they can take on the Emperor himself

Chapter IV, Leopold , Paul and Heinrich

In 1457, because the Emperor sat as far away as Wien, Hochmeister Leopold Wilhelm decided Riga needed protection from a closer power. This was also the opinion of several important nobles in Riga at the time. When their new administration arrived, they decided to fight. Fight did also their allies in the Hanseatic Merchant Republic, but the Emperor did not, proving our point about lack of protection. The Rigans soon changed their minds.

eu31vx.jpg

After all the arrangements were in place, Leopold Wilhelm II decided to visit Lübeck to try to convince the Hanseatics to change their minds too

eu33.jpg

eu311.jpg

For the trouble the Order was given the port city of Hamburg, and Holstein was separated from the Hansa.

eu319f.jpg

Elections:
In 1460 A.D. Azzone III of Milan - Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
In 1462 A.D. Paul I - Hochmeister of the Holy Teutonic Order
he rules for two short years before he dies of old age
In 1464 A.D. Heinrich V - Hochmeister of the Holy Teutonic Order

During the late 1460's, the Order was involved in several wars to help our ally Austria.
Heinrich V and his army marched to München and ocuupied it for some time, they then marched north to Moskva, now ruled by the Bishop of Novgorod(!). Peace was agreed upon in 1470 A.D.

eu332.jpg

As more and more of the smaller nations in the east was absorbed into larger powers, Heinrich V declared Tver and Novgorod nations under the protection of the Order.

eu340.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting game so far! I'd be very, very careful about Bohemia, they seem to have blobbed up far beyond your power! Perhaps you could snag the rich NW German states, or go into Russia...

Interesting game so far! I'd be very, very careful about Bohemia, they seem to have blobbed up far beyond your power! Perhaps you could snag the rich NW German states, or go into Russia...

Welcome!

Bohemia is far too strong to be meddled with, and they behave rather aggressively. Dangerous.
I have already control over Hamburg, which makes NW German policies more and more important for the Order.

Next update will be tonight or tomorrow night

Chapter V, german affairs

medievalknights2.jpg

During the 1460´s and 70´s the Order experienced increasing influence throughout the north german clergy. Some of whom would prefer the rule of the Order before the Emperor, who had proved himself incapable of protecting his minions.

During the winter of 1475-1476 A.D. preparations was made for what was planned to a short and successful military takeover of Lüneburg.

After three weeks of action Lüneburg agreed to the terms of the Order.

The victory should not be that easy.

Most of the german states had declared war, finding the Order´s presence in the west a bit troubling.

The first real setback in the war came fall 1477 A.D. when the Order was forced to abandon their idea of Lüneburgian vassalization. The Emperor was satisfied and returned to München with his army.

eu36f.jpg

During the following years several german states and princes was bought to peace with small amounts of gold.

Until there was only two left insisting on fighting on, Switzerland and Cologne.
Cologne was forced into vassalage as punishment for their participation in warfare against the Order.

eu312.jpg

Finally in 1480 A.D. Switzerland could not anymore find reasons to continue fighting and signed a white peace with the Order.

eu313.jpg

During the early 1480´s a program to assimilate and evolve Riga as one of the Order´s great cities was put into effect. It was also released from it´s duties to the Emperor.

eu314o.jpg

Teutonic merchants were established all over Europe when in 1487 A.D. the Hochmeister and his council decided even more effort was to be put into pan-european trade policies.

eu315.jpg

Northeastern Europe 1487 A.D.

eu316.jpg

Last edited:
is that Novgorod owning Moscow but, y'know, NOT NOVGOROD? :p

Looks like Golden Horde is goobling up pretty much everyone in eastern europe, which helps you a great deal :)

Excellent AAR so far

Looks like Golden Horde is goobling up pretty much everyone in eastern europe, which helps you a great deal :)

Excellent AAR so far

Thanks, nice to have you onboard

I guess the Golden Horde will be easier to deal with than a large Lithuania...

Chapter VI, quiet years

medievalknightsjousting.jpg

The 1490's sees the trading city of Danzig expand it's trade and was now in the top ten most lurative trading centres of Europe. Hochmeister V and his court was now able to expand their navy, and some amounts of gold was also sent as tributes to important nations to ensure their loyalty towards the Order. The Pope also recievd nice gifts.

War broke out between Sweden and Lithuania, with several smaller nations fighting on whatever side they found best at the time. Sweden quickly occupied the northern part of Lithuania and several large battles were fought along our borders. The Order's army was mobilized and started patrolling the borders to ensure our neutrality.

August 1496, Albrecht I was elected Hochmeister. He's an administrative genious and had already decided to exploit the weakened neighbours in the east.

eu37.jpg

When Sweden and Lithuania signed the peace, the provinces of Novgorod and Rzhev were ceded to Sweden.

Soon after peace was signed a major revolt broke out in the areas fought over. Lithuania was so weakened from war at this point they didn't manage to control it, and Kholm declared it was now a part of the Bishopric of Novgorod.

eu310.jpg

The area continued to be haunted by bands of rebels roaming the lands. Muscowy was also involved in several raids and sieges in the Lituanian lands.
So in 1505 A.D. Albrecht I and the Bishop of Novgorod together with the Order's foreign minister Paul von Wrangel, officially included the Bishopric of Novgorod into the Order.

eu314.jpg

Chapter VII, Prussia and the Protestant reformation in Sicily

Once again, Lithuania is the target of warmongers. Bohemia, Sweden, Ukraine and several bands of rebels are burning and pillaging close to our borders. It would be preferable to have these lands ruled by someone who could impose Order.

eu320i.jpg

Whithin relatively short time, almost all of the failed state of Lithuania's lands are occupied by the nations and rebels involved.

eu328.jpg

In the year of the Lord, 1511, the kingdom of Sicily openly breaks with the Pope due to some issues of corruption whithin the clergy of the Roman Catholic Church. Some voices whisper this is a quite common attitude in Europe and that these dangerous ideas may spread, even to our lands, if we are not careful.

1512 A.D. Lithuania, laying with their back broken, agrees to our demands. They will cede the province of Trakai bordering the Order. They will also release several independent states previously occupied. These newly established states will come under the protection of the Order.

Having converted the Baltic lands and with our neighbours now Catholic christians, Hochmeister Albrecht I lets himself crown King Albrecht I of Prussia. Long live the King!

kingsofthemiddleages.jpg

Albrecht I, King of Prussia​

Last edited: