• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The devs have stated over on the Kerberos forums that while Steam is always used to install Sots, it does not use any of the DRM features provided by Steam. I'd link the post but... yeah, the forums aren't working very well right now.

The game does indeed run without steam running ??.

Yes, the current 'beta' build did run when I exited steam by simply running the exe file. I assumed it was just because it was a beta build, however somebody else posted that the developers are not using any DRM on this, and steam is just the distribution and patching platform for them on Sots2.

Well, it's been over an hour since that tweet that said just a little while longer and then a short test, any new info since then?

@NexusCron If you're not going to lynch me if there's a power failure or meteor strike, within the hour. -@SolForce

By then it'll be 6am for me, and I actually have a meeting tomorrow ... argh. Okay, I shall wait, and hopefully start the download before I hit the hay.

The devs have stated over on the Kerberos forums that while Steam is always used to install Sots, it does not use any of the DRM features provided by Steam. I'd link the post but... yeah, the forums aren't working very well right now.

It may not use all, but it does use some. Otherwise those of us with the GamersGate download could run it as, AFAIK, they have the right version. But we can't play it directly, it needs to be run through steam and won't go on its own. Not just for updates, but to run it in the first place.

Yes, I know: just for the installation and then not after. That's less not none.

It may not use all, but it does use some. Otherwise those of us with the GamersGate download could run it as, AFAIK, they have the right version. But we can't play it directly, it needs to be run through steam and won't go on its own. Not just for updates, but to run it in the first place.

Yes, I know: just for the installation and then not after. That's less not none.
First nobody knows if its the right version second it doesnt need steam to run,it needs steam to install you can try it yaself install the game then turn steam off then goto the foulder of the game which will be something like M:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\common\sword of the stars ii the game will run without steam.

Well the version you downloaded from other distributors seems like it didn't extract the files. There is pretty much one big 1.5 GB file that needs to be extracted. Wondering if it just needs to be extracted and nothing else for the people that didn't buy it off steam.

That might be why I said, "Yes, I know: just for the installation and then not after."

And since steam won't let you install the gamersgate version atm...

It will let you install it or atleast it did earlier ("Yes, I know: just for the installation and then not after.") so what was the point of your post to end it with that if you new the answer.Anyway you dont need the GG files at all just put your code into steam and you can download the whole game from there.

It will let you install it or atleast it did earlier ("Yes, I know: just for the installation and then not after.") so what was the point of your post to end it with that if you new the answer.Anyway you dont need the GG files at all just put your code into steam and you can download the whole game from there.

I'm pretty sure it did not let you install the gamersgate version. If you ran the gg installer, it would download the steam version just like if you entered the code because steam doesn't think it's the right version. If you download the game from steam, guess what? You get the files from steam, not gamersgate.

I believe the version people downloaded from gamersgate/impulse are correct but the installation isn't working right as instead of the installer extracting the files it (re)downloads the files from steam.

I believe the version people downloaded from gamersgate/impulse are correct but the installation isn't working right as instead of the installer extracting the files it (re)downloads the files from steam.

This has been covered and that is why you dont need to bother downloading the GG files it doesnt matter if the GG files are the right version or not they dont work so you still need to wait on the steam version to be fixed which makes this whole argument pointless.