• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Steam only has had the 5 GB download. The 1,5 GB was what people got from GamersGate and Impulse. I wonder if the actual game download only is 1.5 GB, and the 5 GB is the incorrect Steam version that then replaced the files from the 1.5 GB download (as the files are different). From what I saw at the Kerberos forums (when they briefly worked) was that the release version is supposed to be around 2 GB because it is properly compressed (the audio and graphics), which wasn't the case for the beta build. I am not 100% sure if this correct since I wasn't in the beta and I don't have access to the proper release version, either. :)

The download was always 1.5 GB. The patch expands to 5GB. I think that's how much actual space SOTS ][ consumes on your HDD.

Steam just measures patches in terms of expanded space patched, not bytes downloaded (look carefully at the status and you'll see that 756MB downloaded ~= 2.5GB of SOTS ][ patched).

I've been using Steam for years and never connected the dots on this, I always thought the "Total Downloaded" just reset randomly so it never matched the total for the game, just now I did some quick calculations and you are correct. Mind = Blown.

the steam version was 1.5 gb also. but somehow the counter said it was 5 gb. but if you watched actually downloaded amount it was 1.5

sry for bad syntax...

You must've been very angry while typing this. I have no idea what you were trying to say.

Anyway, this stuff happens. I'll just go and continue playing SotS 1 until the patch hits.

Im on about this isnt the first game from steam that i have bought that was the wrong version,i bought dead island and that was also the wrong game.yet it keeps happening they also got the release time wrong aswell,yet i dont see any post from steam or who ever it is saying we messed up were sorry and we promise who ever made this mistake is out of a job.Some people have to pay for there bandwidth and stupid errors like this cost them money,and yes im very angry atm lol.

Im on about this isnt the first game from steam that i have bought that was the wrong version,i bought dead island and that was also the wrong game.yet it keeps happening they also got the release time wrong aswell,yet i dont see any post from steam or who ever it is saying we messed up were sorry and we promise who ever made this mistake is out of a job.Some people have to pay for there bandwidth and stupid errors like this cost them money,and yes im very angry atm lol.

Neither of these cases were Steams fault. Both of these were accidentally uploaded by the developers.

Some people have to pay for there bandwidth and stupid errors like this cost them money,and yes im very angry atm lol.

This, besides the obvious let down and the loss of an evening, is my biggest gripe. Being from Iceland I have an -extremely limited- amount that I can download, and if I cross the threshold, my internet connection is cut down to 28k, literally the speed of a dial up modem. So a game that was supposed to be around 2gbs ended up being 5gbs, and now I'm being told I might have to download 2gbs ontop of that.

I too am pretty upset! The developers really dropped the ball and I'm seeing very little from them in means of apology. All we get is "Yeah, we uploaded the wrong version." and "We're uploading a new one now." And that was what, two hours ago? At least that's how old their twitter comment is.

I was going to buy all the thematic DLCs but I refuse to support this.

edit:
What is Latin for "The need to blame someone is human"?

Postulo reprehendo est humanus? That's what google got me. I'll probably name one of my ships that.

:sigh: some ppl should chill out and smell some flowers ;) If yu think you're the only one sad/angey/any other emotional state, you're reale realy wrong! While it's a bumer that this issue happened, but you cant start shooting people over it! Kerberos crew are human too and the too make mistakes. They've put 2 years of hardwork in to it, worked even harder on the last days so we could get the best that is and made a mistake in the final run. Maybe from exsaution and worikng their rear ends off? Maybe from lack of sleep, just to squize a few more bits fro the game?
So next time before going tantrum, think for a moment.

@Ashberry76 - If iremember, on Twitter there is info, that it should be an Auto-patch for the current "release".

@Tiny turtle - I prefer dev''s working on the patch and the game instead of rolling in ashes and begging for mercy and forgivness. And they said "sorry" - it's in the Kerb forum... when it's up... Thanks to the unintentional DDoS attak on it ;)

Neither of these cases were Steams fault. Both of these were accidentally uploaded by the developers.

And you know this from personnel experience right ??,Secondly i said i dont care who's fault it is is pathetic and un professional,if you bought a new car and the front wheel fell off would you say oh dear its not the garage's fault.

And you know this from personnel experience right ??,Secondly i said i dont care who's fault it is is pathetic and un professional,if you bought a new car and the front wheel fell off would you say oh dear its not the garage's fault.

You really are mad, your post makes no sense. That's because the developers said themselves that it isn't Steams fault.

Why would a new car be made at a garage? They come straight from factories, so it's the manufacturers fault, not the garages.

Chill. It happened, they are fixing it. No doubt they are not happy about it, too. No amount of fretting about it will undo it now -- all that can be done now is being done. People make mistakes, and here, no one died or lost anything other than a few hours of gaming time.

I think it is a little more complicated than that madpaddy.

The correct analogy for that would actually be if you bought a computer but they shipped you a different model instead. Honestly there is nothing to do but wait. I hear that there is an apology on kerberous forums and thats all good and well but they are down. They could put up a sorry on the paradox site as well to show sincerity considering no one can currently see the sorry at the moment but meh.

Honestly...... shit happens. they are doing there best to correct it at there best speed. They do not do this out of enjoyment to see us mad. They just want to release a great game that we all will love. there is bound to be a few hiccups along the way.

They're a victim of their own success.

It happens.

For whatever reasons, this version / release has attracted an order of magnitude more interest (good), but that means that it also has tons more folks trying to d/l it and complain when something goes wrong (bad).

Their servers were clearly not up to the release day volume. They recently upgraded them too... so who knows what went wrong there.

Sometimes, when it rains, it pours.

The storm will move on in time... :)

agreed.

I noticed that they put up the games manual on this forum. That is very nice of them. :)

An apology would make me happier; just a little something on their twitter. Yet as much as they're willing to own up to their mistakes, they've yet to say even just "sorry". I'm pretty sure we're allowed to ask for that at least.

I also need to take madpaddy's side here. We paid $40 for a game that wasn't released on time, and then when it was released, we got a near unplayable beta. Now, nearly 5 hours after release, we're still waiting for the patch they started uploading nearly 3 hours ago. He has every right to be upset, guys. Whether or not his anger leads to poor logic and choice of words is another matter, but he does have the right to complain. You have the right to ignore. :)