• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1458-1475

I sat there, waiting for the timer to get my GH war back in full motion. My ADD prevented me from doing so patiently however. I mumbled and scowled at the screen, unhappy with my slow progress compaired to my last several Muscowy games. I looked at my ship building progress. Still over 10 ships to go before matching Sweden's fleet, and the ships were already running close to 100 for a Carrack because I was so far over my naval force limit. I decided to cancel mission rather than build a fleet that cost more than my army for 5 naval tradition.

601.jpg

Sweet! One thing I like about Russia. Until you hit the factory tech levels, you tend to get tons of conquest missions. I still had a timer for peace on Lithuania as well, but at least it was better than going bankrupt building waaaaay too many ships. I'm Russia! Not England! Looking around, I see Poland has switched back to Catholicism. Bah! Those Poles just weren't co-operating with my grand expansion plans very well. A couple more years clicked by and then the timer was up. I rushed across the border and my assault stack captured two provinces in less than a month. My army was up to 54k at this point, with 4 50/50 10k stacks and one 13k infantry+1 cav assault stack.

602.jpg

Huge stacks of Horde armies started to build up much like before. My land tech was now 9, giving me an advantage that proved to be more than the Horde armies could stand. By this point I'd lost and recruited more generals several times. It's easy to keep tradition high with so much blood spilling out all over the place, so all were good with 4-6 shock and 4-5 speed. I was beating the Horde good this time. Too good! Poland decided to restart their war with the Horde. Lithuania finally broke free of their PU and found themselves at war with the Horde. Unfortunately, it didn't work out well for Poland, who had their army destroyed, and quickly got wardec'd by all their neighbors. Crap! My PG had expired on them, so they were on their own. TO wanted in on the action, and called me along as well.

603.jpg

Seeing as how I was going to be fighting Lithuania, I decided to wardec them before accepting the call for TO. This way I could use my own CB and not get pounded with Infamy. This was how the map was looking at that time.

604.jpg

Everything was going fairly smoothly, except TO didn't defend their own turf from Castile at all. I worked over Lithuania and took my prize as quickly as I could. I made a mistake however in not forcing them to break alliances or give up cores. That would haunt me in the not so distant future. And what was my next mission? You guesed it, naval race vs Sweden! Again...

608.jpg

I tried sending troops in to kick the Spaniards out of TO territory, but before I could have much effect, TO buckled and ceded two provinces! I beat them all down and wiped out all the invaders, then called TO back in, getting them to break truce even, to try and get them to siege back their two provinces, but they did not, and peaced out again soon after. Such whimps! I captured both provinces and proceeded to beat up every counter attack Castile sent to retake them. I was hoping to build the warscore up to over 40, then demand they agree that the Pope has a terrible hat and switch to Orthodox. Over the next few years I was getting close, but eventually something 'big' happened. Before that however, my PG on Poland now in place went active with a call to arms.

610.jpg

Always the same culprits causing trouble! I again beat up their armies a bit and again let the other participants do the sieging. While this was going on, I got a boundary dispute.

611.jpg

As things started to wrap up with Bohemia, I let them off with a white peace. As much as they were annoying me, they were still Orthodox, and still HRE, so it was best to keep them as intact as possible, at least for the time being.

612.jpg

I had a scare for a minute when I saw this one. It's never a good thing to have your heir die when your King is old. He might not have the greatest stats, but a regency is always a worse alternative!

614.jpg

Everything was going smoothly again. I was beating up the Horde handily, and expanding to take most of my cores back without much trouble. The only hold up was the slow trickle of colonists. I'd usually have them going in 4-5 provinces at a time to allow as much colonial growth as possible. And then, something unexpected. Lithuania decided they wanted their cores back! And they were allied with Sweden and Austria, both of whom had done some expanding of their own.

615.jpg

First, I wardec'd Sweden with my own CB. This would add Hungary to the war, but Castile, DOTF for Catholics, was already at war with me, so not a major issue.

616.jpg

Then I made Peace with Castile. I took Memel, and let them keep Osel since they like the crappiest provinces for some reason, and I asked for a huge chunk of money!

617.jpg

I made peace with the Horde in a way that would wreck their economy, but more importantly, repay me for the years I had to pay them money!

618.jpg

And that... is where my second war with the Horde comes to an end. Russia is currently leading the world in land tech.

619.jpg

These are my current borders, and the nations I'm now at war with:

621.jpg

This is the current religious map:

622.jpg

This is an 'average' province as far as what I've been building in my provinces.

623.jpg

All my manpower heavy provinces (about 40-50% of total) have training fields or will get them soon. My medium and long-term strategies require many manpower buildings. These buildings increase demand for Iron and copper, which will be my most common goods by the time I expand to Eastern Siberia. My high land tech means I will get weapon factories first, which will go into the iron and copper provinces, further increasing demand. As manpower also determines how many factories you can build before they get expensive, the more manpower buildings I make, the more factories I can build. Long story short: By 1550 or so, my iron and copper provinces with factories should be worth more than gold producing provinces.

Nicely done.

I scorched earth in several provinces first to drive the 'cost' of tribute down before making the offer.

I thought tribute raises when your income raises?

Excellent progress! I envy your ability to take on everyone at once and still win!

Excellent progress! I envy your ability to take on everyone at once and still win!

Lol it's called Military Drill mostly. :) Although having a tech lead in Land and Eastern Cav types also helps. Die rolls typically kill me, so having good generals makes up for some of that.

1475-1482 Keeping an Orthodox HRE on the throne part I.

My war against Sweden finally gave me the chance to see how the Swedes were stacking up against me on land and in the sea. My navy was smaller and lower tech, but it was also mostly carracks to his rowboats! My troops were lower quality and higher serfdom, but higher tech. He did however take Military Drill as a second idea, so I didn't engage his army until I had larger numbers on hand. It proved to be uneccessary, my tech advantage was decisive.

702.jpg

In two naval engagements I was able to deminish the Swedish navy enough to complete my mission.. Finally!

703.jpg

I scrapped all my galley and transport type ships after this to cut down the hemorage of cash I was paying out to maintain a fleet that was 3-4 times what my support limit allowed. Then: an annoying unintended consequence. My wardec on Sweden meant I was fighting Hungary. This meant my sphere CTA to protect them would have no affect. Bohemia declared war on them and took a couple provinces, giving them a border with GH, who was defensless due to my punitive demand for tribute.

704.jpg

I met the bulk of the Austrian army in battle, 30k to 20k roughly. He had a 6 shock general, but my morale and tech advantage was too much. His armies were not even close to a match! I cut down his soldiers and left a trail of bodies all the way to Austria, and then spread my forces out to begin subduing his country.

705.jpg

I got a border friction CB on Lithuania. YAY! except I was already at war, so it was worthless. Even though he'd started the war, the CB he used would give me 4 infamy for every province I took. For now, I just sat on his territory. I had hoped to get the rare event that gives you a provence for 1 infamy. With Sweden on the ropes, my general used the Swedish King's palace as a horse stable and soiled his daughters before showing him a picture of the Popes terrible hat! The Swedish King wisely agreed that it was a silly hat, and the Swedish heresy was clensed!

708.jpg

My old King died, and the throne passed on to his heir. The next heir was female and had really really horrible stats. This was not a happy day. With such poor WE mitigation, my hopes for getting that event to fire were dashed because attrition would now push my WE too high for that event to fire. The upside was that he came with a pretender! With a little luck, maybe the pretender would be a good one!

709.jpg

The Austrian army tried to push me back, but they stood no chance. my armies were unstoppable at this point, and even with a numerical advantage, he might as well have been using an army of native spearmen. Eastern Cav with a 4 level tech advantage and the millitary drill NI left no other possible outcome.

710.jpg

My hopes for a new King were destroyed in a nameless battle when my 'ally' TO decided to wipe out the pretender, and doom me to a lengthy period of bad rulership.

711.jpg

After burning a few of the Pope's loyal men, the heretics in Riga began to see reason. After the crusader sacking of Constantinople (before the start of gametime), I had some payback to dish out!

712.jpg

Bohemia was not going to be the HRE when their King finally died. And his time was comming, he was very old! I would force Austria to give up their heretical ways the day the throne passed to them, and let them clense some heresy for me! All I had to do was wait a short time for the Bohemian king to die. Not quite as short as I'd hoped as it turned out.

713.jpg

My new King was seriously slowing down my expansion into the horde lands. About 50% of my colonial attmpts were failing, despite a 73% of success on the screen. Bohemia had run all over and captured many GH territories, but I freed them up as needed with revolts.

714.jpg

Once I was bordering Azow, I absorbed them just because.

715.jpg

So this is where I will leave this update. Austria is occupied, waiting for me to convert them, which will happen once the Bohemian King is dead and they become the HRE. Castile has gotten out of hand, and is due for a beating for taking a province in Turkey and then expanding into Timurid lands.

1482-1491 Keeping an Orthodox HRE on the throne part 2

My King, bad as he was, did have an upside. His 8 diplomacy resulted in 2 border disputes firing off durring his first 10 years as King. One was on the Horde and one was on Lithuania, giving me a province I could take for no infamy when I eventually made peace with them.

801.jpg

802.jpg

Shortly after this, I got my second NI. I was torn between several good options. I was going to hit land tech 15 soon, so more cash to build weapon factories would be great. I was still looking at a huge chunk of Horde territory that needed to be pacified, so Colonial Ventures also looked like a great pick. Church attendance duty for Guilded Iconography was another posibility, but I picked none of those. I had Heresy to clense!

803.jpg

By this time, my economy was unmatched. Without collecting war taxes or leading in production or trade, my Empire was outpacing every other in terms of income.

804.jpg

My next target was already chosen. For sticking their nose where it didn't belong and generally getting on my nerves, the next heretics would definitely be the Spaniards! And so nice of them to take territory where I could poor armies into their land with ease!

805.jpg

Bavaria had become a little too uppity. After annexing a few neighbors, they decided it was ok for them to annex a few more. I guess they figured nations in my sphere are only there for looks, but they thought wrong!

806.jpg

This was a good thing! Bavaria was allied with Poland, and Poland had been converted before, but it didn't stick the first time! It wasn't difficult to reconvert them once my troops arrived.

808.jpg

I finally finished my mission to colonize Cherson, and I was excited! What would my next mission be?! Retake the Holy city? Conquor Astrakhan?!

809.jpg

Oh. Naval Race vs Sweden. Again. FU!

I found the Bavarians put up a better fight than the Austrians had! It took some time to chase down all the little one and two unit armies running around from them and their alliance, but I forced them to release all their captive states at the peace table. More nations for my sphere once it will go that far!

810.jpg

This is why my armies are untouchable! Over the super-tech OPM's I have only a 1 level tech advantage, but over most of the 'big' nations, I've got 3-4 levels of land tech lead, and my cav units are very good. Plus Military drill, plus good generals from so much fighting.

811.jpg

And this was what I'd been waiting oh so long for. The changing of the guard, it was time for a new HRE!

812.jpg

I quickly made peace with Austria on the terms that they would change to Orthodox, and hopefully they survive since half the minors in Germany declared war on them once I made peace.

813.jpg

I then made peace with Lithuania, taking one province and demanding they give up a ton of cores.

814.jpg

I cancelled my mission and got conquest on Kaffa. I now intend to go back to expanding for some time until I colonize up to a border with Castile. Then it's game on. Only Ming has a larger army right now, so It's almost 100 years into the game, and I fear no other nation.

816.jpg

Last edited:
Please mind the screenshot limit of 20 per post in the future - any posts within an hour of each other count as one post for this purpose.

Other than that, keep up the good work. :)

Nice progress. An orthodox HRE is quite an achievement. Are you aiming to one day be HRE by vassalising and converting electors?

I do not plan to be the HRE, no. I'll probably be a republic once I get the tech. The 3 admin ruler thing is really killing me, lol. I'm trying to be careful not to over-extend, but with my colonies failing easily 50% of the time, I doubt I'll be able to anyway. I just want to stamp out all of the Heretics in the west, otherwise they can do whatever if they stay out of my path, aside from those who are within the boundary zone I staked out in the beginning as my intended Western border. I've been trying to keep all the western powerhouses in check to make sure no single country becomes too powerful. It's more fun to let some of them get big, but it slows me down later.

why build training fields?

I do not quite follow why should I build man power buildings -- in my Muscowy->Russia games I never run out of man power, so I never build that. Can you suggest order in which Russia should build? Right now my order is: 1) Churches everywhere 2) all production buildings. I never build neither man power nor trade nor fort buildings.

I do not quite follow why should I build man power buildings -- in my Muscowy->Russia games I never run out of man power, so I never build that. Can you suggest order in which Russia should build? Right now my order is: 1) Churches everywhere 2) all production buildings. I never build neither man power nor trade nor fort buildings.

Churches are fine, and putting one everywhere before you westernize is good, but here is the three-way trick to super huge income as Russia:

Manpower buildings increase the value of iron and copper. As Russia, once you make it all the way to Siberia, 60-70% of your provinces roughly along the corridor from Novgorod to the Eastern coast of Siberia will be iron or copper. The cost of factories is based on your manpower. The more you have, the more factories you can build at low cost. Because you hit land tech 15 way before you build any other factories, you can build a ton of these on all your iron and copper provinces. These not only add 12 production to each province, but further increase the demand for iron and copper. Somewhere around 1550 or so these provinces will be passing gold in terms of their production value, your COT's will be exploding with well over 1k value each, and you'll be making such a high average income per province that you'll probably be tech leader in most or all categories within 50 years or so of westernizing, because you will have -that- much investment going on from all these provinces. Every manpower building you build boosts the value of these resources, and also lowers the cost of your next factory.

Edit: I understand this very simply, but wording it simply is more difficult. If you go to an Iron or Copper producing province, tooltip over the price and it will show you all the details that affect the value of a particular trade good. For Iron and copper, a province with 1 manpower building increases the demand for those trade goods by 10% over a normal province. If you have 3 manpower buildings, 30% increase in demand. If you have a weapons factory, 50% increase in demand. So, throw up manpower buildings in your bazillion provinces, you can increase demand by a huge amount, as well as making it cheap to produce more factories. Because you are going to be the worlds leading producer, this benefits you the most. Both the building of weapon factories and manpower buildings are going to generate cash for you in increased production and trade value.

Because most of this trade value will go through COT's other than Novgorod once youb get rolling, you'll have very little competition in your COT's. You'll be able to shut out and 100% monopolize your COT's. It will be very hard to do this in Novgorod because sooo many nations will try to place merchants there, but as you go further East out of the reach of western traders, other nations will not have the tech or prestige usually to even place a single merchant.

Last edited:
Yea, next update is going to be full of how bad bad rulers really are, lol. My expansion slowed down very fast, about 60-70% failure rate on colonists despite the screen saying otherwise. Lots of stab hits, running 10+ WE for the last 20 years or so. :) A bug is holding me up also where someone elses colonist is in my captured horde province and it's only dropping at a rate of 1 per month, so another 10 years or so for me to colonize it.

1491-1507 Spain needs to stay in the West or die! part 1: Half Measures

So I was having a small problem now with my Horde expansion. Bohemia, being the annoying troublemakers that they are, got a border with GH as mentioned earlier by taking (with no cores) several provinces from Hungary. They captured every GH province under me because GH had no army, because they were paying me 7.3 gold per month in tribute. Now I was back at war with the Horde, but Bohemia was occupying territory that rightfully belonged to me according to... me. I needed to get them out of my way already! I sent them a warning. A diplomatic insult. I needed some way into a justifiable war with them. Why did it have to be justified with an actual CB involved?? well I already have the advantage of being human, so I figure I need to put -some- limitations on myself. Then they messed with my sphere!

901.jpg

The war was over so quick, it didn't even warrant a second picture. I killed a few stacks and took over occupation of the Horde territory I wanted, then WP. I started colonizing... or trying. My failure rate was rediculous. Out of the first 5 colonists I sent out, 1 succeded. A sign of things to come. It took me another 20 years or so to colonize about 8 provinces, and most of that was just colonial growth. I was growing rather irritated at the non-sticky nature of my colonists. Was it bad road maps?! Did they decide to go back home to Moscow?? Where were all my colonists? Not in the colonies I was sending them to! Then something awesome happened.

902.jpg

TO was right on target. What I needed was obviously another war! My WE was down to around 5 or so, and Castile was just on my last nerve being over in my regional space. I didn't join with TO however, but used my own CB, because if there was ever going to be no Catholocism, it had to be weeded out in the new world too.

Castile sent a large stack into my occupied territory. I hadn't fought Castile in a while, so I sent my normal 50/50 army killer stack over to test their land-war skills.

903.jpg

Needless to say, I was not impressed. I secured Mil access from all the Muslim nations Castile had been causing grief. I sent 20k soldiers down into the region and wiped out Castilian forces, and sieged their provinces. For the next 10 years, I just sat on this territory, beating back whatever forces Castile sent in and letting revolters capture provinces to flip them back to regional nations. I kept asking Castile for peace for 25 Ducats, and they kept declining so their stability sat at -3 for a very very long time, helping the process along substantially.

Right here was a hold-up. This was getting on my nerves. Causing me grief. As clearly shown, I occupy this province, yet Bohemian colonists are present. I took it from Bohemia while they had a colonist inbound, and then sent my own. It wiped the original colony, but then his next colonist landed and so did mine, and suddenly, 400 bohemians. Because of this bug, I debated this as a justified restart, going back to before the war and making sure he released Transylvania, but this is only annoying, not game breaking, so I left it. The colony is declining by 1 per month, so in a very very long time, I'll get it, or given the chance, I'll start another war and make him release Transylvania.

904.jpg

While I was busy failing in my colonial ambitions and building up WE marching armies around to kill Spaniards, TO had gotten themselves into some trouble through other alliances and was not doing so well. Eventually they'd peace out giving up their alliance with me. The Bavarians again started causing trouble. The AI really has no memory whatsoever. So I sent an army into Bavaria to give them another beat-down. This time was going to be the last.

907.jpg

After subduing Bavaria, I occupied all their provinces. I decided to sit on them until vassalization cost went down enough for me to force them to aknowledge the Czar as their overlord. They called in Poland. I sent armies in to do the same to Poland as well. They called in the Swedes. I had no troops guarding the border because they were all in the East, in Poland, or in Turkey!

Two Swedish stacks rushed in and started assaulting. Very quickly, they'd grabbed 3 provinces! It had been a very very long time since a foreign army had occupied Russian land. I wasn't certain, but this might have been the first time in the game even! My armies were rushing in, but there was a problem; Russia is a very big country.

908.jpg

My troops plunged into the Swedish forces with no mercy. To a man, I wiped out his armies. I set troops to siege the provinces he'd taken, but my large stacks pushed forward and assaulted a trail to Finland. My navy of 12 carracks put to sea and for the 5th or 6th time, destroyed the 4 ships blockading them in. Sweden set their ships to sea as well, forcing mine back to port. I offered my old allies to restore our old alliance, and they agreed. I sent them a call to arms.

My troops again started marching for Stockholm, and again the Swedish fleet moved to block my passage. This time, the TO navy along with my own was there to punish them for their brave defense of their capitol. I would not be denied! I wasn't satisfied with a limited naval victory. In this war, I'd make sure there'd be no more naval races vs Sweden for a while! What was my new mission? Colonize Kaffa.

I Peaced out with Sweden. I'd make more war with them soon anyway. I sat on Poland and Bavaria, waiting for time to tick by. Horde armies would slip by once in a while and I'd send a stack to chase them down. I left one minor in my war with Bavaria unassaulted so he could make troops for me to kill so the war would never white peace out. Revolters were starting to flip a few provinces from Castile now. My strategy was taking time, but it was working.

I reached my next national idea, and picked CAD for guilded Iconography. I didn't really want CAD at this point, but I just didn't have the magistrates to spend on culture. With a hefty income and many many provinces, there were too many buildings needing to be built, and just enough money to build them. I'd hit land 15 by this point, so weapon factories were already going up.

910.jpg

I'm not sure how, but somehow, Castile had reduced it's WE from 10 down to almost nothing in a period of about 1 year. Mine had continued to slowly climb just from attrition and a little from combat. My King was abysmal at reducing WE, and I didn't get any events to bring it down.

913.jpg

As more of the spanish holdings continued to flip, my warscore had dropped substantially, as I was holding less and less of their territory. There was no way for me to end this war without invading Spain itself.

914.jpg

The time for half measures was over!

Last edited:
One of the hardest things about playing as Russia, whether you use Muscovy or Novgorod, is the sheer size of your country; it can make keeping track of things very difficult. Glad to see you're on top of things, though. Give the Spanish hell!

1507-1516 Spain needs to stay in the West or die! part 2: Full Measure

I had 20k troops in Spain battling what seemed like an endless stream of stacks numbering somewhere between 40 and 60k total. I'd wipe one stack out once in a while, but Spanish armies buzzed around my troops like angry bees. With swords. And horses. It was hard to assault without drawing a large-scale attack that would drive me back into a defensive posture. Skirmishes were preventing my soldiers from reinforcing very well, and this back and forth went on for some time. Back at home, an event I'd been waiting for finally fired.

1001.jpg

Border friction is one of my favorite CB's. Just a random 'come grab some land but you must act now' kind of thing, like a going out of business sale. Not as good as a boundary dispute, but much more predictable.

The war was over quickly. Well, it was over with Lithuania quickly.

1002.jpg

My borders and ongoing wars looked like this at this point:

1003.jpg

I'd colonized Kaffa, and my next mission? Is there really any doubt? If you guessed Naval Race vs Sweden, you're a genius. My armies dove into Sweden much like before, except this time I had troops on the border! The Swedish army never even got into Finland in time to stop my advance from reaching that point first. His navy hadn't completely recovered from the last war, but one thing was clear. He'd built more big ships this time, not just a mass of rowboats. My Fleet put to water and engaged his between Finland and Stockholm. I became nervous when I saw I was losing the fight. With dread I saw my Naval morale go down, my naval tech was far behind his, but to my surprise, I succeeded in completing the mission! I lost the fight, but sank enough of his ships to have naval supremacy.

1005.jpg

I sent troops south right away to break the siege on Bessarabia. New mission? Not naval race vs Sweden? No, this was even better. Remember that province that I couldn't colonize because bohemia had settlers there?

1006.jpg

So EU was definitely trolling me. The 50 naval race vs Sweden missions... now this. I just stared in disbelief for about five minutes. At this point in the game, I had no inflation and my entire economy was being fueled by a rank 2 Mom. If was was going to be serious about building up some factories to get my economy pumping some real coin, I needed to change CAD to NB. I'd planned to do this at some great opportunity sometime in the unknown future, and suddenly the time came.

1007.jpg

I didn't even need an artist. I only had him because he was lvl 6, in hopes that this very event would fire. I must say that was good luck, even if it took some time. I hadn't had the culture to make my own level 5-6 advisors for at least 30 years at this point, so I was willing to take whatever I could get.

In 1508, the reformation began. TO almost instantly switched to Prussia. This was good news for me. My long time stable ally was also unfortunately inside my pre-determined territorial boundary zone. At some point, there was now a PU in thier destiny.

After a very long reign by a very 'meh' Czar, I finally had a new leader. I wasn't too thrilled about her to be honest, and her heir wasn't anything to get excited about either. A little part of my soul died, knowing that westernization was looking to be a very very long time away.

1009.jpg

It had been years in the making. Since my earliest wars up till now, Poland had been a problem. Just over one hundred years after our armies first met in battle, I signed the peace treaty with Poland that would put an end to all of that history.

1010.jpg

Before the ink was dry, Bavaria was next.

1011.jpg

Then just because... well for no reason really, I added Pommerania to the list, a side affect of their alliance choices.

1012.jpg

Not wanting any more infamy, I made peace with Sweden on the terms that they remove all their cores on my land. Of course all of these wars weer sidenotes, just things to do while my 'big' target was being worked on over a multi-decade long war. So how was that going? Pretty well actually!

1014.jpg

Tens of thousands of Russians and hundreds of thousands of Spaniards and their allies had died in a war that had gone on for over two decades. Finally, the Spanish King caved. Most of his holdings in the Middle-East had been retaken by revolters and the newly rizen horde that had been down to a single province when I stepped in. At the end of my war with Spain, most of the remaining provijnces were under siege by either revolters or the horde. If they manage to hold on to those provinces, there will be another big war with Spain.

With the end of the anti-Spanish inquisition, I was left with over 14WE, revolts all over (good training for my troops), and a newly arrived terrible ruler who was going to doom me to more colonial failure than the last one. I thought about my next move. Just as I pondered what miracle it would take to westernize, a shocking turn of luck!

1015.jpg

So my new plan has become clear. Get rid of some WE, westernize, recover before my next King assumes the throne so I can do more warmongering! In the meantime, I hope to have some colonial success thanks to a 6 admin regency.

Edit: Oh, forgot. Religious map:

1016.jpg