• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello again folks!

It's Thursday, and... well, you know the drill by now. The subject for today is the message system. Basically, we have been trying to find ways of making messages less intrusive. In a single player environment, a steady stream of pop-ups is not that bad, but when you run a multiplayer game where you cannot pause all the time, pop-ups are incredibly annoying. So we added the little Message Window and nuked all pop-up messages. Those of you who have played Sengoku will be familiar with that system. However, there are problems with that approach. Pop-ups still have their place when a message is really important. Thus, for Crusader Kings II, we took a few steps back.

What we have now is a system very similar to the one in Victoria II and EU3: Divine Wind, but instead of the little flag notifiers we have the new Message Window. Message pop-ups can be customized to look like either letters or normal event windows, and can be toggled on or off for every message type. They also support custom (and fully moddable) pictures and sounds. Oh, and you will probably be pleased to know that the message log is back again. :)

Crusader_Kings2_DevDiary_20111027_02.png

There are a few special pop-up messages, such as battle results and the message you get when a child is born (where you get the option of naming the baby yourself.)

Crusader_Kings2_DevDiary_20111027_01.png

That's all for now. Next week: Crusader Pandas.

Personally, I'll probably turn most things to a instant-pause message, just because, goddammit, that's how I've played all PI games! Except CK, where the messages would unpause the game the second you clicked them, but still.
Still wish you had gone with the indicators that were in VII, or DW. Those were better...

Are those impassable mountains I see in Norway in the last screenshot?

Possibility to customize every pop-up to look like a letter or normal window sounds interesting. Is it possible to decide that some of message types will look like windows and other types will look like letters?

Possibility to customize every pop-up to look like a letter or normal window sounds interesting. Is it possible to decide that some of message types will look like windows and other types will look like letters?

Yep

Thanks for the new diary! I have one minor suggestion on the naming window. It's great that you have a suggested name and the ability to write in your own. But what if I don't care for Astrid, but I want another Swedish sounding name for my princess? Being that I'm not too familiar with Swedish names, this might be challenging without additional choices. If I'm Polish or Bulgarian or Georgian, I have even less of a clue of what an apt name would be.

So what you might do is add a pulldown menu or list of some kind where you have alternate names based on your dynasty or culture. That would be awesome :).

Thanks. Reading DD has been interesting and it seems that message system will be cool, but I wouldn't mind few good Beta AARs :)

The best of both worlds! Sengoku's lack of customizable pop-ups is really annoying me.

Renaming children, a much wanted feature since CK1, seems to have become reality.

so, there's only gonna be one proposed name? Would of liked a few more, but the mere fact that I can name them whatever I want, makes it up :D

(though, what will the AI do? I've always felt weird seeing capetian King Roger I of France :s)