• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It seems like her collections pieces are all related to the misery of others - paintings stolen from looted Bohemia, a dead kings jacket, a dis-endowed kings crown. And the melted ring - I wonder how that happened?

So we know that France will exist only for 6 more years of the next update (unless it ends before that, of course)... I wonder why the crown is in such poor condition? And why does the British monarch allow the Menderhalls to possess the crown of France? It is obviously only of symbolic value, but a symbol such as this should be kept in the royal treasury...

Edgewise/Momento Mori: All shall be revealed in time. However Edgewise has a good point; irregular means were probably used.
Rockingduke: Indeed, but that is what most of history is. Besides, I've only listed a few things. You can imagine there is other art, jewellery and such here which is less dramatic!
Sethanon: She's full of surprises, that's for sure. She's Duchess of the Isles, but more usually goes by Countess Orkney (the female version of Earl). She's also Countess of several other places including lands in America and France.
Edgewise: He doesn't, you're right. Not yet.
Arakhor/Loki: Let me assure you it's nothing so bad as Countess Bathory! No, there are mirrors around, and she has been seen in the daylight. Though, I admit that the British Isles would be the perfect place for a vampire to hide from the sun....

Chapter 12a – Crown in Darkness

Summarised from Chapter 4 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

1479 was a momentous year in both English and world history. Like the foundation of the Holy Roman Empire or the Crusades it saw an event that would change European politics forever. France, ever since it had split from the Empire, had been the predominant force in Western Europe. Despite periods of decline and turmoil the power and idea of a French Kingdom had endured. Even in 1479 there were those who planned or fought for the restoration against the English.
A particularly serious plot uncovered in 1478 was of grave concern for the Queen. The plot, hatched in several of the French duchies, was to instigate a rising against the English, involving several vassals of the Queen in it as well. The plot was uncovered and several ringleaders executed.
Queen Mary, overlord of France, considered for a long time what the best. If she decided to annex the French lands directly to her it would stretch out the Crown’s resources very thin. However, it was what Edward III had planned to do when he had started the war way back in 1337. If France was not annexed then it would forever be a breeding ground for opposition to the crown.
With this in mind Queen Mary dispatched a delegation to demand the crown from the King of France, Louis XI, and she raised an army to support this with force if needed. They arrived on the 17th of October 1479.

The Bishop of Winchester accompanied the party, and left an account of the meeting:

When our party arrived at the palace of the King of France we were at first denied entry. The wardens reported that they had been ordered to restrain us entry. Whereupon the Lords Apparent demanded entrance, threatening violence if not commended entry. Whereupon they stood aside, and we entered.
His Majesty Louis, King of France, sat upon his throne, having been told of our coming. He carried with him the ancient Crown of Charlemagne, the symbol of his line.
When we entered at first he spoke most sharply with us, and refused our errand, whereupon we bade him look upon the grounds beyond his palace. There, a hundred knights and soldiers of renown waited. Upon being informed that Her Majesty had a great army a day from his standing, the King grew much enraged. Casting down the crown at our feet he cursed us, and the crown was broken. At last, he came forth with us, and his daughter Isabelle and wife Anaïs also.
Thus ended the Kingdom and Realm of France.

These words give us an insight into the drama of that day, for at the last King Louis almost called upon a last battle, but knew it was pointless.

With this act the Kingdom of France ceased to be, and was never revived. Many of those small duchies of France continued to claim the title therefore, and the King of Burgundy often claimed the title, but for all practical means the crown was now united indivisibly with England. Edward III’s claim had won out…eventually.

1151479FranceAnnexed.jpg

1161479England.jpg

Of course, it was one thing to annex a realm, but quite another to administer it. It would indeed be the great problem that would trouble English and British rulers for several centuries to come.

love the account of the annexation. Gamewise, did you get it on the first try or were there several attempts involved? can't wait to see how you bend over backwards to make ruling France difficult :)

Also, historically or at least in this timeline, what would have happened to the French king following the annexation? Considering that he knelt, would he have remained a noble with power albeit no longer king, or taken as a permanent 'guest' of the English crown, or what?

Seeing as Philippe II of Burgundy was the son of Jean II of France, I can quite see why his descendants would claim an empty title! That's certainly an interestingly-shaped France. Did you deliberately make it resemble the Angevin territories at their height?

In contemporary British style, whilst she might well be referred to as Lady Grey or Lady Mendenhall, she would never be called "Countess Orkney", given that one of her (apparently many) titles is "Countess of Orkney". If her premier title is "Duchess of the Isles", she would most likely be addressed as "Your Grace" by people who don't know her.

"France has accepted annexation" -- four words I never get tired of seeing :)

"France has accepted annexation" -- four words I never get tired of seeing :)
:excl:
Yes, always a great day when the French put down their baguettes and raise a toast to their new overlord. Dramatic, excellent update.

Of course, the one problem with removing France from the game is that it's now open to one of the French-cultured states to form it anew. It would take a miracle in this case, however.

As to the speculation about Lady Mendenhall, I suspect that the AAR isn't called 'The Grey Eminence' for nothing.

Good stuff. England is thus left in a very strong position with the conquest of France, even if there are hinted at problems to follow. Curious updates with regards to the further discoveries of Lady Mendenhall. As ever, I'm very much looking forward to the next update so as to find out how all of this will progress.

Looks Great :) Sounds like those Frenchies won't go down so quietly though.

Watercress: Welcome aboard! No, the other French states would still love to be independent.
morningSIDEr: England is left in a strong position, but that can actually be a bad thing!
Dewirix: Yes, it certainly would take a miracle. The only one in any position to do anything is Burgundy, and as you'll see they don't have the legs. And yes, the name is rather suggestive. Heh.
blsteen: And I for one would like to welcome our English overlords! :p
Avindian: Me either! It is like dismantling the HRE or winning 'naval race versus England'...a moment when the game changes.
loki100: Thanks! And yes, this is no walk in the park.
Arakhor: Yes, I thought it made sense they would claim it...however empty the claim is. It does look a lot like Aquitaine, but that was more by luck than design, though I admit I was hoping to do it this way. And yes, I missed the of there. Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to use it.
quicksabre: I believe he and his family were taken to England to live out their lives as 'guests' in a Welsh castle. Just to make sure they didn't feel like running off. Mary didn't execute them though.

Chapter 13 – A Midday Meal

21/1/1820

John and Victoria returned to the dining room to find that Lady Mendenhall was waiting. The table was laid with the finest porcelain from the Empire’s territories in China, and a large meal had been prepared.
“John, my apologies for not being here last night. I had many matters to catch up on. I trust you are settling in well?”
“Yes, thank you. Victoria showed me around the grounds, and I was just examining your collection again. Am I right in saying that it is the real crown of France you have in there?”
“Correct, in the condition it was in 1479. A rather sad end to such a valuable thing.”
“But how did you come by it? Surely our Kings and Queens would have wanted to keep it?”
Lady Mendenhall waved airily. “A lot of things were lost during the Civil War and the Republic. The family acquired it late in that time. It’s been with them ever since.”
“So…what is it that you do with all these items? They must be worth a great fortune.”
“They are, but I have no reason to sell them. I am preserving them for the future. You know how little has survived from the time of Rome, from before the Norman Conquest? Though neglect or malicious intent valuable items are lost. That is the nature of life, so if I can ensure they survive then I am preserving the past. And, after all, who else has a royal crown in their museum?”
“Are they not a target for thieves though?”
She paused, considering. “Perhaps. Though even if they knew where this house was they would have a hard time breaking in. No one has tried, to the best of my knowledge.”
“I suppose there are few places to go on these islands.”
“Not which are secret from me, no,” her Ladyship commented.
Victoria meanwhile had come to kneel down beside Lady Mendenhall, while Tempest hovered behind her.

A28GrandDiningRoom.jpg

Lunch continued with a very pleasant fish soup with fresh bread. As John ate he kept looking over at Lady Mendenhall.
Apparently she saw, despite his attempts to be covert. “Something wrong, John?” she asked curiously.
“May I ask a question, Lady?” he replied. When she nodded he paused, deciding which to ask first, and how to be tactful about. “I see so much art around this house, of natural and human scenes, yet none of you, your family.”
Tempest stirred, but her Ladyship merely smiled. “I have never been one for pictures of myself. Mere vanity. There are of course some of the family, but for the most part they are in America.”
“Where? Do you have family there?” John asked, not sure why he was being so insistent.
“We are a much diminished group, I fear. America is something of an ancestral home for me. I own large possessions in Jamaica, New Britain and Mexico.” She looked around at Tempest. “The map, Tempest dear. Show John where, that way he’ll see that they are real.”
John felt a little bad for pushing. He got no chance to apologise because Tempest had appeared with a map which she laid on the table. It showed British America, which stretched from the Amazon jungle to the Arctic. Around New Britain, on the north shore of South America several areas were marked. In Mexico and Queensland, on the south cost of North America, other areas were marked.
“My lands there are considerable as you can see, John.”
“Lady, I didn’t mean to be rude,” John said.
Lady Mendenhall rose and walked over, laying a comforting hand on his shoulder. “You weren’t, John. You, like many others are curious as to how this woman can not only own so much, but also administer it. The question always seems to be more ‘why hasn’t she married yet’ over ‘she provides employment to ten thousand workers and their families’.”
John seemed to have touched a nerve inadvertently. This was perhaps the first time that he had seen her truly passionate about something. “My apologies, Lady Mendenhall.”
“As I said, none needed. I am very pleased you are here. Now, I will be meeting with the Governor of Kirkwall this evening and more tomorrow, so I must leave you to entertain yourself once more. Victoria will stay with you and provide you any service you need. In a few days things will be quieter and we can investigate your academic progression further.”
Rising, Lady Mendenhall left John alone with Victoria. He still felt rather foolish as he glanced at the map. It raised many questions.
“Sir?” Victoria asked.
John pulled himself together. “Yes, let us go. I have things I want to do.”

Ten thousand workers? I guess she could successfully form her lands into a new country if she wanted to. I must admit it makes me interested in other British nobility and what they posses, is she the richest of them all? (That just made me think of Snow White for some reason)

And France is English now. I wonder when they'll start being happy about that.

Ten thousand workers? I guess she could successfully form her lands into a new country if she wanted to. I must admit it makes me interested in other British nobility and what they posses, is she the richest of them all? (That just made me think of Snow White for some reason)

And France is English now. I wonder when they'll start being happy about that.

France is never happy about anything. I don't even think they're happy about being French. :p

Edgewise: True enough! I think it'll always be a 'thing', like the Irish being ruled by the English in our world.
Sethanon: I wouldn't say she's the richest, I haven't considered it really. She has considerable resources, but probably not as much as some others. Over the centuries you'd expect the French to become used to the occupation...even if they never fully accept it.

Chapter 13a – The Stirrings of Change

Summarised from Chapter 4 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

For twenty years after the annexation for France England begun its first faltering steps towards modernity. The reasons for this however were more to do with expediency and need than actual planning.
With the annexation of France a new order of men arose in France. Those who were considered reliable among the French aristocracy were allowed to keep their titles, while many English nobles also gained lands on the continent. In many ways it was like a reverse Norman conquest. Like that however the result was usually not integration and absorption of the occupied, but of the occupier. Within a generation many of the formerly English nobles spoke French as much as their native language and those with no land in England rarely returned there.

However, not all were happy with these changes, and many revolts broke out in this time across France. Perhaps the most dangerous was Sevan de Châtillon, a Breton noble who inspired the peasants and locals to rise up. Faced with this dangerous insurrection the Queen was forced to concede certain liberties to the Bretons, and later other peasants across France. These moves were unpopular with the nobles, used to being able to extract resources from the peasantry, but it reduced the likelihood of rebellions.

1291492BretonRevolt.jpg

1221484NoblesConcerned.jpg

1211483SliderMoveFre.jpg

Harsh conditions at home forced many Irish and Frenchmen to consider emigration. Settlements in the Caribbean and in Arcadia grew and expanded in this time, and proved a valuable way of siphoning off dangerous population excesses. This early form of sponsorship was made possible by generous collections and gifts from the nobility in exchange for noble controls over French tithes and church lands. Thus, the first state sponsored colonial expeditions, pioneered by Matthew Amherst established a permanent foothold in America.

1191480Navigator.jpg

1181480RushColonists.jpg

1201482NavalTradition.jpg

1301495FirstCaribbeanFullCity.jpg

1311496CessationChurchFunctions.jpg

Disputes with French duchies led to the annexation of Alençon and the subjugation of Orleans, supported by Parliament and the nobility in exchange for titles and lands.

1261490WarWithOrleans.jpg

1271491AlenconAnnexed.jpg

Finally, word reached London in 1488 that Byzantium had finally lost its great struggle against Turkish expansion and had fallen. However, Queen Mary saw a use for those Greeks who fled the disaster, and offered incentives for those people to come to England and share their skills with the English. In this way many of the texts of the classical past survived. After having these documents translated the works of Plato and Aristotle inspired the Queen to further reduce the burdens on her new French subjects. It was reasoned by her advisors that peasants who weren’t starving would be less likely to rebel.

1231488ByzantineRefugees.jpg

1321496SliderMoveFre.jpg

You were either exceptionally lucky with the "Better Administration" outcome or you grew rather attached to pressing the "resign" button at appropriate times ;). Overall, it's good for England that the social development is taking place, but I feel sorry for the nobles that finding peasants to flog is getting harder :( At lease the French rebels will be a great substitute for some time!

Last edited:
I once had 4 better Administrations in a row, not often you see that though. Sadly. :(

Story continues nicely, not much to comment on though right now. For me that is.

Yes, in this section the game I was really waiting for the Reformation. Don't worry, the next narrative and next history section will be very interesting indeed! :) Definitely not quiet, I can assure you....

On a more general note there are a few decades in the game where I burning off infamy, waiting for some tech advance or just waiting for something else. I'll try to make those interesting where possible!

I may even do a second update today. We shall see!

Thank you all so much for commenting. I do appreciate it! :)