+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 23 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: The Grey Eminence - A Narrative/History AAR 1399-1821

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thanks guys!

99 updates down, this is it.

Chapter 48 – Epilogue

4/2/1834

It was always cold in February in Hartford. John remembered well just how icy it could be from his time as a student. However, it was just a minor inconvenience to him; he wouldn’t miss this day for anything. It was not a happy day, but it was something he needed to be here for.
    At the Windermere Cemetery overlooking Hartford he found the grave he was looking for. The snow had been cleared from the grave, and as John ran his hand over the raised granite sarcophagus he sighed.

Catherine Adams 1773 – 1814
    Devoted mother, wife, friend.
    My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
    RIP

It was then that he noticed a fresh red rose had been laid on the tomb, the petals blanching in the cold wind.
    Almost instinctively he looked around and saw a dark figure standing not far away. He walked over and joined them.
    “Good morning, John Adams,” Angelique said, lowering her hood. She looked, as he suspected, the same as she had always done.
    “Thank you for coming, Angel. I thought I might see you here.”
    “I wouldn’t miss this. Twenty years since it happened. I still think about it.”
    “I suppose I should be flattered that out of all the things that happened in four centuries you still think about it,” John said.
    “I don’t think flattered is the right word perhaps. But, enough of that. My condolences as always.”
    “Thank you, Angel. How have things been with you? It’s been a few months.”
    “Going well. Selena is coming on well. It’s her 20th soon. Tempest would be so proud of her. And how about you, settling in to Parliament?”
    “I don’t know how father put up with it, but it’s going well. I’ll try and find the time to come and see you soon,” John promised.
    Their conversation died off, and they faced each other. Each realised that they were going to drift apart, as Angelique’s new path took her a different direction from John’s.
    “I’ve kept my promise, John. No interference. I fear for the consequences though, I really do.”
    John touched her arm gently. “Angel, people have to make mistakes on their own. We can’t always have someone to fix them.”
    “I suppose not. Well, take care, John. You know where to find me in London.”
    “Thank you. Good luck, Angel.”
    Angelique Grey smiled slightly. “I think luck is something I’ve never had. To the future….”
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty II CollectionSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

So 400 years of pulling strings and she steps down cause a boy says so? I find that hard to believe. She might be on a break for now, but who knows? Power is a drug that is hard to let go.

Anyway, thanks again Ashantai for your great story. Hopefully we will get something as good as this sometime in the future.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

99 updates, plus a small epilogue? I find it hard to believe that exactly 100 episodes is a coincidence.
    Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Ancestor Moth scribe for CK 2: Elder Kings - can you rival Tiber Septim's power?
    Burgundy: A Dream of Lotharingia (a Death & Taxes AAR - in torpor)
    The Three Certainties of Life (a Byzantine D&T AAR - updated 19.02.14)

sad to see it over but congratulations!
    Holy Roman Empire Squared (Completed AAR)
    Watch the Byzantine Holy Roman Pope restore the Roman Empire!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

This AAR was amazing! Great job. I will miss it though. Who is going to provide a daily read now?

Im already looking forward to your next AAR, once it arrives!
    AAR's:
    Eendraght Maeckt Maght: A Brabant AAR with the D&T mod. Join Brabant in its journey to uniting the Netherlands and Europe under one banner!

Participating in:
    We, the People -- A USA Interactive FTM AAR as Senator John Linton from Florida for the Democratic Party.

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

well i can only offer the highest praise for a superb AAR. The History book elements were well written and put together, but combined with the narrative posts this reached some impressive heights. As to Angelique turning over a new leaf. Possible as long as John lives, but like others I can see the lure of power and influence drawing her back in.

And much credit for having the confidence to open with a map of the game in 1822 ...
    Remember, whatever the question, the answer on 18 September is Yes ...

Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

I too can see her Ladyship sliding back to her old ways...a bit at first, then a bit more, then finally totally. But yes, maybe not while John is there to remind her, but afterwards.

I would like to thank everyone who has read and commented, but especially the above five members who have been with me from the start, and Range as well. You six have provided a lot of inspiration and help to pull me through. Thank you.
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

I was mainly bugging you about spelling and incorrect usage of titles.

Ancestor Moth scribe for CK 2: Elder Kings - can you rival Tiber Septim's power?

Yes...well even so, it's nice to know that someone's reading it closely enough to pick those things out!

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty II CollectionSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

Again, thank you for providing something, where I can nitpick

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

I find that getting comments on AARs is really helpful so it was my pleasure! Although I do have to admit that I only first read this AAR a week after it started. It was good fun to read 7 updates in a row though!
    AAR's:
    Eendraght Maeckt Maght: A Brabant AAR with the D&T mod. Join Brabant in its journey to uniting the Netherlands and Europe under one banner!

Participating in:
    We, the People -- A USA Interactive FTM AAR as Senator John Linton from Florida for the Democratic Party.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne
    EUIV: Art of War

I think I might have to show this AAR to some of my friends. I really admire how it makes such a great stand alone story - even without knowledge of the game I can imagine reading this and loving it. It takes skill to do that with an AAR. Kudos to you sir.
    Currently playing Castile -> Spain (for achievements, I don't normally play such huge nations)
    Nationality: New Zealander | Religion: Protestant | Issues: Protectionism, State Capitalism, Secularism, Full Citizenship, Anti-Military | POP: Clerk | Militancy: 1.0 | Consciousness: 6.5
    Primary Title: None (Courtier) | Age: 17 | Dutiful Cleric | Stressed, Stutter, Quick, Poet, Charitable, Wroth, Humble, Ambitious, Just, Trusting, Defender | Spouse: none
    6/3/0 | No Living Heir | Constitutional Monarchy
    We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

Simply superb.
    Congratulations on the successful conclusion.
    I heartily look forward to your next tales of adventure.
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

Thank you for this story! So great that you finished it.

How does a 28th Century temporal immortal die anyway? You've revealed that they have Adam Monroe-style immortality (from Heroes), so how do you make sure one of them dies permanently?

Tamara/Angelique found a way, as did Talena in her adventures. The easiest way is to use something from the same time period, meaning Talena's weapon, since that has the same rules as her. Another way would be to stake through the heart and then destroy the body. That would also work.

Thank you all for your kind words.

I plan to take a break from AARs...CK2, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3 are going to occupy my time over the next few months I'm sure! When I do return I plan to do something a bit different...without time travel surprise, surprise...but with the same general structure as this - one narrative/one history posts linked together. We shall see how it goes!

Also, if there's any 'historical' events in this story you'd like a short narrative piece written on, do let me know and I can probably arrange it.

Thank you!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Victoria: Revolutions

Really spectacular story. Sorry to see it finished, so I guess I'll have to go read your other works now haha, especially if they tie in...
    The Gate to the East: Byzantium Rising
    Vic:R 1.04 Greece/Byzantium | Last Updated: 8 October, 2012

My Inkwell

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

Congratulations on finishing your AAR, Ashantai!

I have to admit, I was wondering why Talena and Angelique seemed to share the same uh... predicament. I had chalked it up to "writer's prerogative", and thought that the immortal time traveller thing was something you wanted to explore further—just not with the same character as before. I was genuinely surprised (and pleasantly so) when their stories/timelines overlapped, and you gave us a sort of postscript to Talena's tale.

I also liked that Mendenhall's motivation had a sensible grounding; anyone from the early 20th century (when our British Empire was at its zenith) would be astounded to find out that in another timeline, the world's largest empire did not even exist. Certain such an individual might be motivated to generate and preserve Britain (and British territories), while trying to avoid the bloodiest conflicts of our history.

It's been a while since I've played a vanilla-ish EU3 so the size and scope (and religious/cultural unity) of your holdings are a little breathtaking! Did anything other than the usual Brit cultures (English/Scottish) remain accepted?
    ex libris Christophori Sartorii, Equitis Ordinis Roberti Magni et Intimidati (OLIR),
    Fan of the week: 27 August 2011 & 27 February 2012

PORTA ATLANTICUM, PORTUS CLASSIS ~ Gate of the Atlantic, Port of the Fleet ~ an England MMU AAR
    WritAAR of the week: 21 Nov 2010 ~ AARland Choice AwAARds (EU History-Book): Q4 2010, Q2, Q3 2011, Q1 2012 (shared) ~ Weekly AAR Showcase: 3 Oct 2011 ~ Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness

HoI AnthologyFor the Motherland500k club

Just finished catching up, a completed AAR is a rare and beutiful thing alone(im determind to get back to my Northumbria one eventually ), but to have such great writing, characters and consistant details is really amazing. You should be very proud of your work and I hope some more AARland awards find there way over soon.

Thanks guys!

I had Cosmo French accepted all the way until 1750 or so...which gave me the idea for a French Revolution!

Now, I had an idea for a story. It would be a total change of pace and tone, so I'd value opinions to see if anyone would think it could work. What I was thinking was a parody of these two tales. You know how they always whine that because they're women no one takes them seriously? What about if we had a guy in the same place...but who has even more problems...and wishes he was a woman!
    I'd also play it without any limitations on myself, so it'd be a comedy conquest game. Could be fun though!

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ashantai; 18-02-2012 at 01:28.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 23 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast