• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Perfect set up...I know this is going to be great. It will go to show that the act of recording and displaying history...for both the reader as well as the writer...can be a lot of fun as well as interesting and provocative.

‘Mad King James’

I already know which reign to anticipate most then! This is continuing to look very promising, I wonder who will first fall to England's sword.

damienreave: Thank you, I very much appreciate the compliment! :)
dewirix: ;) Of course! Got to give a taste of the highlights to come! Glad you liked it!
Range: Thanks! :D Like you I am always trying to find new ways to make things interesting. Enjoy!
loki100: Thank you. :) I love your Ming AAR by the way!
morningSIDEr: Oh yes, poor James is definitely not a reign to miss. :cool:

Chapter 1 – A Letter Sent

2/1/1820

A1Study.jpg

John, with letter and book in hand retired to the study to plan his reply. After carefully moving his father’s work aside, he pulled a fresh sheet of paper over and looked down at it. The whole morning had been rather odd.
Still, after a moment he was able to concentrate and write the letter.

Lady Mendenhall 2nd January 1820
My Lady,
Thank you for both your present and your invitation. While I was surprised to receive your letter, I was also pleased. I would be happy to attend upon you on the fourth, and hope that I am able to live up to your expectations of me.
Your obedient servant,
John Adams

Setting down his pen he put sand onto the ink to dry it, then dusted it off into a waste bin. Deep in thought he took an envelope from his father’s store and sealed it with his father’s seal. With that done he rose to his feet, pocketing the letter, and heading for the door.
It was as he was heading back downstairs that Anne appeared. “Pardon, sir, there is a gentleman downstairs to see you. He says his name is Elijah Hill.”
John started, then smiled. “Thank you, Anne, I shall go down at once.”
The maid bowed and stood aside for him as he hurried downstairs. Hurrying across he knocked on the door to his father’s drawing room.
“Come,” Benjamin called.
John entered. “Father, Elijah is at the door. I am going down to the post office to send my reply. Expect me back around midday.”
“Of course, son. Sir William Gains will be here later to discuss business, but you need not be here should you not wish to be.”
“Thank you, father,” John said, relieved that he wouldn’t have to make more small talk with yet another member of parliament. His father seemed to be constantly meeting with such people from all over the Empire.

At the door, John’s friend was waiting. The valet, Perkins, held the door and closed it behind John as he left.
“Elijah!” John exclaimed, taking his friend’s hand and shaking it.
“Happy birthday, old man!” Elijah replied. He was a bit taller, a bit lankier and had a mop of blonde hair which fell over his eyes. “I just got back from America yesterday and wanted to surprise you!”
“You certainly did. I feared you would not be back until the spring. Come, walk with me.”
“I caught one of those new steamboats from Hartford. It took less than two weeks. My father hates ships, so I was sent to make sure that it’s not the demonic engine some people think it is!”
“Was it comfortable? I have never been on one before.”
Elijah waved a hand airily as they walked along the road. “The smoke could get a bit much if the wind was the wrong way, but the ship was fast, and more comfortable than that cutter we went up the Potomac in.”
John shook his head. “Please don’t remind me. I told you that man was half blind!”
They walked on for a little longer. “So, where are we going?” Elijah asked finally. He pulled out a package and handed it over. “Also, happy birthday, old man.”
“I am only three months older than you, you know,” John said, taking it. “I am heading to the post office to send a letter. I have been invited to meet Lady Mendenhall.”
Elijah looked at him in surprise. “You are going up in the world, Johnny. She’s rich as Creosote, they say, a real catch.”
“Not you as well. George was trying to suggest I seduce her. I have not even met her yet!”
“For the first time in history George has said something intelligent. Let angels mark this day well!” Elijah declared. “But seriously, my father said she is unmarried and young. Try and get to know her. I bet she’ll be more of a catch then that student you tried to marry last year. I always said it was a bad idea letting women into college.”
John shrugged. “She got better marks than you, I recall,” he added snidely.
“Yes, yes, but I graduated, that is all the counts. Though not with your record, I admit. Now, are you going to open my present? It’s come all the way from America, and from God knows where else too!”
John opened the present to find an inlaid ivory and silver pendant inside. It was old, John could see that at once. A regal looking woman with a crown was engraved on the front. He examined and translated the Latin writing.
Queen Caroline, by the Grace of God Queen of England and France, Defender of the Faith.
“My God, Elijah, this is almost three hundred years old! How much did it cost?” he asked, amazed.
“Two and six. A bargain, I thought. Found it in an antique store outside the Hartford Stock Exchange. You like it?”
“It’s wonderful, thank you. I have to get you a Christmas present, since you missed that on the boat.”
Elijah waved a hand again. “Think nothing of it, Johnny. Instead, make sure you tell me all the salacious gossip from your meeting with Her Ladyship.”
John gave him a look and shook his head. “Fine, but I doubt you will find it as interesting as you hope!”
John pocketed the little pendant. Another surprise for the day.

They reached the post office and John handed over the letter and the money for the transaction. Outside the building the two friends stood.
“Did you want to come back and have some tea? It’s from father’s operations in Taiwan,” John said.
“I shall have to turn you down,” Elijah said. “I promised I would go and inform uncle that I had arrived. But perhaps we can meet up before your date with destiny!” he joked.
“Certainly. Take care, Elijah,” John said, shaking hands again.

Chapter 1a – The Rise of York

Summarised from Chapter 1 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

No discussion of English and British history would be complete without mention of the extraordinary events of the year 1399. It was a year that begun with one king, almost led to the crowning of a second, and then the ascension of a third. For this alone the story is compelling, not even mentioning that it was the continuation of the Hundred Years War, which would continue until half way through the 15th century.

Richard II had been King of England since 1377, and through his actions and manner had made himself deeply unpopular with the nobility and leaders of England. So it was that parliament declared the King deposed for crimes against his people, and offered the crown to Henry Bolingbroke, Duke of Lancaster. In doing so, Parliament was in fact overlooking a better claim to the throne, that of the Yorkist line.

The coronation for Henry, who would have been Henry IV, was set to take place on the 14th of October, but in the early morning of that day an event occurred which changed history. It was in fact an event so astonishing that it amazed contemporaries as much as it does us in modern times.

The chronicler John of Gloucester looking back on the events wrote the following:

Duke Henry of Lancaster was closeted with the Archbishop in the early morning of the 14th day of October when there occurred a great tumult. A great light appeared in the sky, and with its rays outshone both moon and stars by far margins. At once a great fire engulfed the Duke’s residence, and straightways it was all turned to ash and rubble. Never has there been such a light and noise in all the histories of the world.
When the morning revealed the devastation, it was clear that the Lord had sent a great fire to purge the Duke and those who had overthrown the rightful King. Having seen this as a sign of the Lord God’s anger, the Lords Temporal and Spiritual immediately summoned Edmund, Duke of York to take the crown. As he was an old man he proposed his son Edward, who was acclaimed as King Edward IV of England, Scotland, Ireland and France.

2a1399Comet.jpg

2b1399LondonFire.jpg

While this account is highly dramatic, the essence of it is true enough. A destructive fire and great light was witnessed on the early morning of the coronation, and in the aftermath it was revealed that the Duke of Lancaster and the Archbishop, along with more than a thousand others, had been slain by fire and smoke.
While it seems unlikely that it was divine punishment, the perception of those at the time was that it was the sign of an unhappy God. Therefore the English peers turned to Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York, who was the most eligible non-Lancastrian left. Edmund passed the crown on in turn to his son Edward, Duke of Aumale.

However, all this took time though, and time was not on the side of the English. Sensing the instability and the fact that it would take some weeks for the future King to arrive and be crowned, the French saw their moment to strike. Across the English channel the advisors to Charles VI of France persuaded him to declare war on the English, hoping to use this confusion to their advantage.

41399WarWithFrance.jpg

(I know the coronation was historically on the 13th but…just imagine it was a day forward for simplicity’s sake!)

Really like the format, you tie it together well. It has me wanting to know what's going to happen in the story's present-day and how the world got to that point as well. When you posted the 1820 map, my first thought was, "Oh, what's the point if I know the ending..." but "[...] Edward of York to Queen Caroline to ‘Mad King James’ to the Republic and the Beaufort Restoration [... to] the rise of the Seymour Dynasty" immediately hooked me. Can't wait to see how it develops.

Viking Manstein:Thanks! Love your AAR by the way. :)
bananafishtoday: Thank you. I had hoped that it would do that. I'm glad to hear you like it so far!
Edgewise: :) The hardest bit isn't the writing, it's trying to remember what's changed in this history and what hasn't!

Thanks for your support guys. I am also taking submissions for anyone who wants a character with a minor part in either the narrative or the history.

Chapter 2 – Arrival

6/1/1820

“You look like a brooding hen,” George commented unhelpfully.
John flashed his older brother an irritated look. “I am not brooding, I am waiting.”
George pulled out his watch and made a great show of inspecting. “I see that there is four minutes to go, I do hope your letter was not lost,” he said.
Alexandra, always John’s ally against George’s flippant irreverence sniffed. “I am sure she will do as she promised, John.” She straightened his cravat and brushed off a speck of dust from his coat.
“Yes, as am I,” John said, trying to convince himself. All day he had been thinking about this potential meeting with a mix of anticipation and dread. He had found himself trying on virtually every outfit he had to try and find the perfect combination. He didn’t know why he was so nervous.
The door to the drawing room above opened and Benjamin descended the stairs. “Good luck, son. I’m sure you will make us all proud of you.” He turned to the valet. “Ready my coach. I need to head down to the House.” He looked at his children. “Another meeting with the Foreign Secretary,” he explained. “George, make sure the lamps are lit by the servants. Farewell, son.”

A8Carriage.jpg

At 5:03PM, just as the clatter of Benjamin Adam’s coach had faded there was the sound of another carriage. This vehicle was a beautiful black buggy with matching grey horses and a uniformed driver.
“Good luck, brother,” Alexandra said, smiling.
“Yes, and remember, it’s not polite to kiss on the first date,” George added.
John gave him a tired look and walked out to meet the footman.
“Mr Adams, sir?” he asked, opening the door. He had a strange accent, perhaps Scandinavian of some sort.
“Yes. To Lady Mendenhall?”
“Yes, sir. Please climb in. My name is Christian, and I apologise for being late.” He offered no excuses, but closed the door when John was safely inside. With a crack of his whip they were heading swiftly along the road.
Soon they had passed beyond the built up areas. John was no expert on London geography, but he was sure they were not travelling to Westgate, but further to the south along the river. He leaned out the window.
“Are we not heading towards her Ladyship’s house near the palace?” he asked, just a tad anxiously.
Christian laughed. “Her Ladyship has many houses. We are heading to Three Oaks; it’s not far now.”

A2SnowForest.jpg

After a few more moments they passed through the snowy landscape and came upon a house atop a hill looking down on the river below. An impressive wall and gate surrounded the bottom of the hill and to John’s surprise redcoated soldiers stood on guard. As the carriage approached the soldiers pushed open the heavy gate and let the vehicle through.
As they came to a stop in a gravel drive a team of grooms and valets came out to take the carriage away.
John stopped Christian and slipped him a few pennies for his work. To his amazement the footman politely refused him.
“Thank you, sir, but her Ladyship does not approve. I would be grateful if you told her you were pleased with me though,” he added.
“I shall. Is there any advice you can give me?” John asked, as if he was going to a terrible trial rather than a meeting.
“Though I am not insinuating otherwise, sir, be honest with her Ladyship. She always knows when someone is not telling the truth or is keeping secrets hid.”
Not reassured, John nodded. “Thank you.” He turned, took a deep breath of the cold winter’s air, and then headed for the impressive front door.

A7House.jpg

(Just imagine it with snow…!)

Wow...your tale is truly like a history book...with the right touch of the dramatics...perfect blend. And, the photos fit perfectly.

Terrific narrative so far! The meteor smashing into 14th century London makes for an epic opening. :D

Interested to see what Lady Mendenhall has up her sleeve.

Range: Thanks! I'm limiting the amount of photos I put in this time simply because it's so hard to find ones that suit the narrative! So I'll only have 1-3 per narrative.
Chris Taylor: That is an honour coming from you. :) And yes, the meteor (or was it) will have a profound impact on the world. Her Ladyship should be quite a surprise also!

Thanks for your comments guys!

Bit of a blow for the Lancaster dynasty, which never really managed to get started. Was the future Henry V killed too, or is he still knocking around somewhere? He'd make a pretty good general, although he might have been somewhat shaken up by the divine wrath visited upon his father.

The framing story is intriguing. Your AARs have a thing for mysterious and powerful women.

I spent many summers touring crumbling old wrecks, stately homes and so on, so I was wondering where Lady Meadenhall's home is in reality. :)

Arakhor: It's called Finchcocks Manor in Kent. It's a beautiful looking structure, and I'd almost given up trying to find a pic which suited.
Dewirix: Henry V, as he would have been, survived, and eventually dies in France - just as Edward Duke of York died at Agincourt in our world! A nice parallel. I have a thing for strong women because there are so few of them in fiction, and because in these historical settings powerful women are the exception not the rule, and so are more distinctive.
Loki100: Yes, but the more I looked the more common this was in the past. I guess they didn't have the modern paranoid fear of strangers the way we do now? Who knows.

Chapter 2a – Edward IV and the French War

Summarised from Chapter 1 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

Edward IV was in many ways an unusual king. Since he had never expected to be king, and had received no training, he came to the throne with a somewhat unusual education. The fact that he came to the throne during a war did not help matters either.
The character of King Edward has always been something of a paradox for later historians, but central to him was the belief that it was the King’s job to provide his subjects stability and order. However, Edward saw no contradiction in either fighting wars or allowing a greater role for parliament. Although the new king had his faults, being an absolutist was not one of them. While he never earned the love of his people, this was in some ways coloured by later problems with the succession.

Edward’s first act, after calling out the army to defend English possessions in France, was to call parliament and ask for funds to fight the war. In return he was more than happy to grant concessions that allowed nobles to reclaim the titles stripped by Richard II. One set of lands he did not return though was that of the Duchy of Lancaster, which he dispossessed Henry Bolingbroke’s son of. The result of this was a general feeling of goodwill towards the war, and money was granted to the King.

31399SliderMoveFr.jpg

The war though was not fated to go well. Still disorganised and not prepared for war, the English were slow to mobilise. Despite a minor naval victory in the Channel, the war itself went badly. Despite a raid by the aged Robert Knolles that reached Paris, the English forces could not besiege the city, and were forced to retire. Not helping the problem was the poor assistance received from the King’s Portuguese allies.

51399NavalVictory.jpg

61400KnollesCampaign.jpg

Matters came to a head at a battle outside Dieppe where an outnumbered English force was forced to retreat despite inflicting heavier losses on the enemy. Knolles escaped with the remains of his army to Calais, but the news from the war did not improve. Soon enough the very men who had celebrated the plan in Parliament now began to see the war as a tremendous waste of resources.
When news came in 1401 that Bayonne had fallen there were some in favour of abandoning the continent entirely. However, the King, and his chief allies managed to divert this plan, and the struggle continued.

101400DefeatCaux.jpg

111400PoorGov.jpg

121401LabourdFalls.jpg

The King did not take the field himself, which in many ways was fortunate, for soon bad news came back in greater amounts. In a series of battles in 1401 and 1402 the English forces defeated, and Robert Knolles was captured in the final disaster outside Bordeaux.
Edward however was able to turn this to his advantage when news came that the King of France, driven to exert himself more than his frail body could handle, fell seriously ill. Thus Edward was able to save face and conclude a truce with the French. When Charles VI of France died without an heir there came a messy power struggle within the aristocracy to see who would replace him. For now enmity with England was forgotten. Both sides knew it would only be a brief respite however….

131401-2WarandPeace.jpg

161404NewKingFrance.jpg

Wow - with five years, the Valois line has failed in France. That's somewhat alarming!

Getting a white peace is the best that could be expected given the mauling the French gave your armies on the continent. The collapse of the Valois dynasty should give England at least a little breathing space to reorganise in time for the next assault.

Excellent...you never fail to entertain...the set up of new king and the reports of the war...I especially like the idea of your putting in the capture of Robert Knolles at the final disaster outside Bordeaux...the adventure has a life.

Last edited:
Just discovered this AAR; I really like the way you've got parallels between "the present" and and "the past"; does this perhaps suggest a Vicky 2 conversion?