• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I dunno, I suspect that there's going to be an equal amount of bloodletting in any world - she might have saved Britain, but what about, say, China and India? There are still plenty of places for massive bloodshed; saving Britain just moves it elsewhere.

You've all struck on a very good point. What exactly is she preventing, and might she not cause the very thing she was trying to avoid? Ah...that is the question!

Sethanon: Haha, I quite forgot this morning! I'm a long way ahead, so it's not the writing that's the issue, it's the remembering to do it!
C0d5579: Indeed. That is the paradox isn't it!
Arakhor: Who's to say she is avoiding it? ;)

Now, before I start, I've been doing daily updates since the start. Is that too quickly? I mean, no one else does daily updates, so I'm not sure what the best policy is.

Chapter 22a – The First British Monarch

Summarised from Chapter 6 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

When Queen Elizabeth was crowned in April 1579 few could have foreseen the changes that would take place in just twenty five years from her accession. For those expecting another Caroline or even a Mary they would be disappointed. Elizabeth was intelligent, forceful and aggressive; traits popular in a man of the time, but less so in a woman.
Since she refused to be married, it was clear that the succession would turn either to her brother William or his young son James. The two siblings could not have been more different. On the one hand the stern, authoritarian scholar Elizabeth who spurned the company of men, and found it hard to relate to other people. On the other was the charming, regal William, immensely talented as a soldier but disliked by the nobility.
A rupture between them was not long in coming. Within two months of her ascension the siblings met and decided on an unofficial working relationship. William would be in command of the armies in the field in France, while Elizabeth governed in England. This deal worked well, and had the benefit of not having the two within a hundred miles of each other!

2261579ElizabethIDeVere.jpg

2271579HeirWilliam.jpg

It was in war and fighting that Prince William excelled. Though he had a wife, who bore one son to him, he had a dozen mistresses in his time as Prince, and many later as King, forming a great network of illegitimate sons for later generations to deal with.
As a general he was practically unmatched among any previous English royals, and was intensely popular with his troops. Given free reign over the continental possessions of the crown Prince William with Guy Herbert, Earl of Surrey, engineered war with Norway which resulted in the seizure of the Orkneys, and the humiliation of Burgundy.

The Prince moved next in Ireland, and later on in his sister’s reign, on Burgundy again, causing yet another defeat and seizing more of their lands. He also oversaw the final incorporation of all the continental lands into the control of the Protestant church. It was, overall, a fine achievement, though gained at the cost of his sister’s jealous ire.

2281579WarWithNorway.jpg

2291579BattleVictories.jpg

2331581TyroneAnnexed.jpg

2341581ReformationComplete.jpg

2381588WarWithBurgundy.jpg

2391588BattleVictory.jpg

2401589BattleVictory.jpg

However Elizabeth herself had not been idle. The lands of Scotland, now controlled for over fifty years by the English directly, begun to petition for greater inclusion in both Parliament and in trade. Therefore the Queen devised a transformation of the state. With all the colonial possessions and the lands in France and Flanders, England was a misleading title, since it stretched far beyond that. Therefore a union of Great Britain was formed, incorporating England, Scotland, France and all the territories into one, united entity.
At first there were few steps taken to actually provide greater representation, but it was an important step for the future.

2301580PeopleRevelFreedom.jpg

2311580ScotlandCores.jpg

2321580FormGreatBritain.jpg

GreatBritainFranceFlag.jpg

In other areas England experienced something of a golden age of naval supremacy, good government and increased revenue. However, cracks were beginning to show. The vast increase in the army and overseas commitments were temporarily sustainable, but the time might well come when they couldn’t be.
Furthermore, Elizabeth took a rather highhanded tone with Parliament and her nobles, though the promise of her brother taking over after her helped matters.

2371587BritanniaRulesWaves.jpg

2361585ExcellentMinister.jpg

2351582Sheriff.jpg

Never a particularly healthy woman, Queen Elizabeth sickened in May of 1589 and after just ten years on the throne she died. In retrospect her reign is significant mainly because of the Union Proclamation and her stubborn refusal to get married. Perhaps if she had some of the later crises might have been avoided….

It is easy to critique any hard decision - the question I have to ask, though, is what would WE do in this situation? Most of us, I think, would probably end up like Talena, wandering from place to place until their welcome wore out or the concerns of mortals frustrated them beyond bearing... But Angelique Grey's ideals are slightly different, it seems, or she is more detached or more proactive, or something. And it is unclear to me that she is actually WRONG in any absolute sense... to take an extreme example - if suddenly you were offered a chance to kill (murder) Hitler in 1942 would you do it? I'm guessing many, but not all, of us would say yes, because Hitler, at that point, was guilty of a lot of unpleasant things and there was a chance for suffering to be avoided with his death. How about September 2, 1939 (or right before the Reichstag fire, or whatever you feel the moment right before he became 'guilty')? Or 1907 when he was just a Viennese kid dreaming of becoming an architect? What about his mother when she was pregnant with him? Or what if you could cure cancer but you had to kill someone to do it? Would you? What if you had a CHANCE to kill cancer but you had to kill someone to get it? It's Raskolnikov's theory (you see Ashanti? I'm comparing you to Dostoevsky! Be proud), and it is pretty much exactly the dilemma Angelique Grey is facing. I don't think I would have done the same but when you are 450 years old you probably have a different perspective on the value of individual human lives...

Anyway, philosophy aside I am very eager to see how this plays out!

@quicksabre
Well Mrs. Grey started changing things right after she arrived in the past, so she wasn't really 450 years old at that point.
Anyway it's always a good question, would you change history if you could? Especially with the example you chose.
Personally I am reluctant to do so, even Hitler I propably wouldn't kill if I could. Why? Because I know what happened with him, but I can't know what would happen without him. WW2 was horrible, but is followed by one of the longest times of peace in Europe that ever occured, cause people learnt a lesson back then (sadly they are in the progress of forgetting it).
Maybe taking Hitler-Germany out of the equation would lead to a hot war between Western and Communist forces, maybe even a nuclear one?
Who knows and as we can't know, I wouldn't want to change anything. Also being german myself I propably would create a Paradox as without the war my mothers parents would never have met. :D

Ummh Prince William was something of a war monster there ... be interesting to see how he performs as King, especially now big sister is out the way (why can I no longer read about the demise of any of your monarchs and just assume there was no direct involvement from a certain eminence?).

And you version of the Union Flag is most plausible

Well other than it still includes the Irish saltire and only one fleyur-de-lis, I'd say it was a possible flag but not really plausible, at least without the Kingdom of Ireland.

I suspect that, between his mistresses and his overseas exploits, William is going to be colloquially known as "William the Conqueror."

@quicksabre
Well Mrs. Grey started changing things right after she arrived in the past, so she wasn't really 450 years old at that point.
No, but she does seem to be borderline militant feminist, with all of those machinations/'accidents' to get women on the throne... So she might have had a certain lashing out reaction when thrust into a man's world.
Anyway it's always a good question, would you change history if you could? ...
Who knows and as we can't know, I wouldn't want to change anything. Also being german myself I propably would create a Paradox as without the war my mothers parents would never have met.
I think time paradoxes are largely removed from Ashanti's narratives - both Dr Grey and Telena would probably never have been born with all their meddling. I'm not going to speculate on the effects of Hitler's removal, that may not have been a good analogy because of it's specificity. I guess what I was trying to get at is that her PRESENCE, especially in the royal palace of one of the most powerful countries in the world, has already altered history to some extent. Regardless of meddling she will probably have an impact on the future, and the farther forward you go the greater the impact will be as changes start to create an interference pattern. Further, who is to say that if history were to run its full course again, even with no one from the future interfering, that they would get the same result? When thrust into the situation and given the opportunity to make people's lives better, you hope, would you commit suicide or hide in a corner to minimize your impact before eventually getting burned as a witch because you never aged? Or would you push for a freer society as Mendenhall seems to have done with all of these slider moves to free subjects?

Ashanti - definitely enjoying the daily updates!

You all raise good points and I will try and address them in turn from oldest to newest.

quicksaber (1): A very good analysis, and indeed that seems to be her primary, main motivation. As will become apparent she came to the past with a very specific goal. That goal is to avoid the danger she mentioned before, and she feels that by doing this she will bring peace to the world. But will it? Will it prevent or cause the danger? We can only wait and see!
Aliasing: Possibly.... ;)
Sather: Yes indeed. That is a most interesting point. Is it not possible that she could be causing the thing she sought to avoid, or worse? Only one way to find out!
Loki: A glorious ruler, yet, as we shall see, not without flaws.
Arakhor: Well, by this stage the French are a much smaller relative part, and they do hold or at least claim Ireland through the British Crown. I think it's as good a rendition as I am capable of. :p
c0d5579: LOL! I love that! Brilliant.
quicksabre (2): Well, she is a bit of a feminist...naturally she has to be. Well, as for time paradoxes, I work on a different system than most, at least when it comes to Miss Grey and Talena. Because of the way they came back they effectively skipped timelines, starting their own unique version of reality. More will be explained...in time.

Thank you all for your comments!

Chapter 23 - Echoes of the Past – The Fallen Crown

17/10/1479

He knew they were coming.

A breathless messenger had carried the news to the King of France that a delegation was coming. King Louis XI, by the Grace of God King of France, waited. He fretted at being caged like an animal. What he would not have given to leave this palace, or to draw his sword and lead a last charge against the English dogs. But no, he had to wait like a tamed beast, awaiting their favour.

There was commotion at the door, and Sir Jean the Castellan could be heard arguing. Finally, he stepped aside and the door to the chamber opened.
Though time had turned the position of King of France into something less grand than it once had been, the room was still hung with expensive works and maintained a lovely view over the grounds of the Palais du Louvre.
The English emissaries entered; two armed retainers, a Bishop, a nobleman, and finally a woman. The woman was finely dressed, and walked with great assurance, as if she was the leader here.
Louis glowered in dislike. Was it not enough that some Queen in London claimed to be his overlord without sending another woman here as though she had power over him? What was worse he knew of this woman; his father had warned him of her.

The English bowed, but not for long. Their lack of respect angered King Louis. Finally the woman stepped forward.
“Your Majesty, I bring a message from Her Highness Queen Mary.” She held out a parchment sealed with the Queen’s own ring.
The King glared at it, not taking it. Finally a servant took the paper and handed it to the King. Opening it, Louis looked at the closely worded writing. Finally he looked up at the woman.
“Is this some sort of joke, woman?” he asked acidly.
“No. The time has come for the crown of France to become fully integrated into the realm of England. Therefore your services are no longer required.”
Louis’ jaw tightened, his fist clenched, crushing the parchment. “By what authority does one woman tell another woman to command me? She has no rights, no claim to my throne. I am the King of France and-“ he begun.
“You are King of nothing, your Majesty, save what Queen Mary wills. Now that time has ended.”
Louis stood, his face red. “I will not submit to this monstrous regiment of women, this cavilling tribe of usurpers and heretics!” He pointed at the woman. “I know you. You are the sickness which pervades the heart of these lands. I know of you from my father that it is you who stands behind every throne. And I will not be your tool!” he shouted.
The lady stood her ground, unruffled. “Perhaps not, Majesty, but if you would care to look out the window?”

Louis glared at her, but did go to the window. There, in the courtyard, stood a score of armed retainers. Outside the walls he could see a column of dust and the shining of metal on armour.
“Her Majesty has raised a force of ten thousand, and they wait at Compiégne under the Prince of Wales himself. They wait but for our word, or if we do not return.”
Louis glared at her, staring deep into her dark eyes. “Curse you, woman, for you are a witch, a harlot, a jezebel.”
She smiled back. “Perhaps, Louis, I may be those things. However, you are no longer King.”
That last comment stung the most, and Louis felt his anger rise. For a moment he considered drawing his sword and striking down this woman, but then he thought of his wife, his daughter. Instead, in a fit of rage he pulled the crown from his head and hurled it to the floor with all his might. The crown, worn for this occasion specially, crashed and broke. To Louis it was a very fitting analogy to what was happening to him.
“You win, woman. Do what you wish with me, but leave my family alone. Have you no pity?”
She held up a hand. “I am not here to hurt you, merely to return you to a comfortable exile. Queen Anaïs and Princess Isabelle will come to the court of her Majesty. They will not be harmed.”
Dejected, the King walked over and slumped back on his throne. “I do not trust you, woman, but I have no choice. Sir Jean, tell the Queen and Princess to pack swiftly and come here. You will allow them an hour to do so?” he asked.
“That is acceptable, but they should not try and escape,” she said.
Louis looked at his broken crown and then back at her. “One day, woman, you will pay for your insolence.”
“We shall see,” Lady Mendenhall replied calmly.

Ah very interesting, a detailed telling of what really happend that day. Of course by now we all knew it was her. So the French pretender line might actually still live today, what were they? The Valois line?

It's the 3rd time we see this scene, each time more accurately. If it will not have inpact on the future, then my avatar flag is the one of Suahi :p

Ah very interesting, a detailed telling of what really happend that day. Of course by now we all knew it was her. So the French pretender line might actually still live today, what were they? The Valois line?

Even if the King was a de Valois, his descendants (unless he had another child, unprobable if he is seperated from his wife) will not, as it would be strange for his fammily to abide by the law of the monarch they hate so much...

@quicksabre
Point taken, it's a difficult topic in the end, propably without only one an answer that is "right". In the end a person experiencing such an event would have to chose for himself (or herself) what to do. At least Ashantai's travellers have the advantage of being nearly immortal, so they have more time and if needed several tries. :D

@Update
Nice to see that day from the eyes of the King of the Frogs. Really makes it seem like there will be some opposition from that line in the future of the story.

Ooo, so John isn't the only one who knows... dun dun dun! Cool device, seeing the same story retold with added clarity each time. :)

Loki: Thanks! :D
Edgewise: Well...I'm not sure if he is a pawn to be honest. We'll see. ;)
Sethanon: They were de Veres, but also Valois. And yes, there may well be some around...nothing ever gets in these stories without a purpose! ;)
Momento Mori: They might not be living under the law...they might have other plans....
Quicksabre: Indeed! Problem is, 450 years is a long time for anyone....

Chapter 23a – The Warrior King

Summarised from Chapter 6 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

Upon hearing that his sister had died and that he was now King, William de Vere did the unexpected; he continued his campaign. Now as King he took direct command of the army (it had been a sort of technical subordination before), and fought for almost 18 months before being crowned! Such a disregard for ceremonies angered the church and nobles, but for William it was only natural. He appointed very talented, and often low born ministers to rule in his stead, pursuing war to the end.
As a soldier and leader of men perhaps only Richard the Lionheart has the same aura about him as William. Adored by his men, King William III was possessed of great courage, both physically and mentally. In late 1589 and early 1590 he crushed the army of the Bohemian Emperor outside Lyon in a series of battles. In the final conflict he personally led the charge of the Norman Pikes which carried the day.
By October of 1590 he had concluded his war, seizing lands from Burgundy. Then, and only then did he return to England for his coronation.

2411589WilliamIIIDeVere.jpg

2431590WilliaminBattle.jpg

2441590BurgundyDefeated.jpg

This sort of behaviour made him a hero to the English people, but to the nobility he was especially unpopular. His irreverent ways, his stable of mistresses and the problem of the succession all caused friction. King William also favoured Parliament, yielding important prerogatives in exchange for a free hand in the war. While this smoothed his passage for war, it upset many key nobles who had lost some important privileges.
Perhaps to be contrary, he not only allowed the Philosopher Thomas Anson to remain free, but invited him to his court. Meanwhile he contracted ‘contributions’ from key aristocrats in order to develop new projects across the realm.

2451590SliderMovePlu.jpg

2461593Revolt.jpg

2481594PhilosopherHeretic.jpg

2491596GiftState.jpg

2511598NewLandClaimed.jpg

Perhaps the greatest problem William faced however was the succession. He had a single son with Fiona of Connacht, his heir James. After this time the pair had separated, and William had continued with his many mistresses, seemingly content that this child would be sufficient.
As it turned out though this was a grave error. His son James has a justifiably bad reputation, but a lot of blame must be placed at the door of his father. Since his son had been born shortly before Elizabeth came to the throne he was too young to travel with his father when William begun his continental campaigns. Thus young James was left in the care of his mother and aunt alone. The Queen disliked her brother, and had no great love for her nephew, while Fiona was bitter at her estrangement. Coupled with James’ already fragile state of mind, some of his later issues were possibly aggravated by this upbringing.

In any case the King caused further trouble by promising to resettle veteran soldiers in Normandy, effectively making it a new England. This was bitterly resented by the locals, and after William’s death it was abandoned.

2471593SettlementPolicyNormandy.jpg

However, none of this hindered the King’s plans. In France and Ireland he was triumphant, expanding British power further than ever before.

2501597AuvergneAnnexed.jpg

2521599ConnachtAnnexed.jpg

The King’s wars however had created a large and powerful British army based permanently in the continent. It was William who devised the origins of the Rank System, which later became today’s Regimental System. Under his guidance the first universal manpower rolls were kept in the Kingdom. Under the Rank System ten percent of all men were eligible for enlistment into the military. Those enlisted could pay either replacements or buy higher positions if they had the wealth. The number of ‘Ranks’, as these groups were called, varied but in theory there was more active ones for recruitment on the continent. The Ranks called up would vary, and the enforcement was patchy at best, but it did provide a more coherent organisation

2421589MagnificentSoldier.jpg

In 1600, through diligent work of the King’s spymaster Robert Leslie, suspicious documents from the Earl of Warwick were discovered, planning an uprising in Flanders. The Earl had unwisely sent messages to other nobles, but the Earl of Braddock revealed the plot, and Warwick went to the block in 1600.

2531600ReputationTarnished.jpg

Just two years later an incident occurred which would set a long, dangerous precedent. Britain had numerous small states bordering it. These states, unable to face the might of Britain repeatedly attempted to spread discontent among French or colonial possessions. On the 18th of January a man was caught in Reims plotting to blow up the famous Cathedral and start a rebellion. After a severe interrogation the man revealed hidden documents showing the involvement of the Archbishop Johan VI of Utrecht.
The King, incensed by this attempt demanded recompense, and when it was denied he declared war to punish the insolent Catholic Dutch.

2541602WarWithUtrecht.jpg

This event would have attracted little attention were it not for the disaster that was to follow; the Crisis of 1602.

Why go with espionage rather than liberation as your casus belli?