• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1 - Yes, when we were discussing the peculiarities of the EU3 engine, it was definitely mentioned that Mary only had one child.

2 - DE Savoie. "Savoy" doesn't start with a vowel, so no d', and the dynastic name is Savoie. Oddly, the regional identifier is "Savoyard," so it's quite probable that there was a linguistic shift at some point (same as "loy" became "loi" and "roy" became "roi") that changed "Savoy" or "Savoye" to "Savoie."

The coinage change dovetails fairly well with the real-world introduction of the pound, as opposed to the Plantagenet noble, and hints at a long-term change toward a silver standard.

Henry is her grandson, the son of the Red Prince. I probably didn't make it clear enough. The Red Prince was 60 when he died, so ended up with Henry as his 28 year old son at the time of his death.

I shall make edits concerning Savoie. Thanks for the hints...I am hopeless with foreign languages!

You continue to shine in your writings. Everything is very crisp and precise. Keep it coming!

Very good updates. Further information gleaned regarding Lady Mendenhall and England now about to apparently suffer through a difficult period. That promises some interesting updates to come.

Henry is her grandson, the son of the Red Prince. I probably didn't make it clear enough. The Red Prince was 60 when he died, so ended up with Henry as his 28 year old son at the time of his death.

Oh that was quite clear, what made me make that comment was the statement "Only one of her sons had survived to this point," at the beginning. ;)
Be honest, you just made that mistake so that I would have something to complain about in this otherwise perfect story. :D

Sather: Hehe, I see what you mean now. To be honest, I think she did have other children, but none of them had survived infancy except for Edward. Either way, Henry's the man of the hour now.
morningSIDEr: Thanks! :D
Morrell8: We were in agreement until the final word. :p But don't worry, my sister and nephew lives in Melbourne, so I will concede it's an OK place. We can both agree it's better than Adelaide though...right?
Range: Thank you. :)
Sethanon: I agree, Eternal Exile had a different feel to it, but I was far, far too ambitious to ever get finished. This story is not only finishable, but I've laid it all out. I hope one day to do something else with EE...we'll see.
Sather: Anything is possible!
Arakhor: I hope you mean 'I'm loving it!', rather than 'I'm dying of heart disease!' :p
Sethanon: This is one of the first times that I start making choices that directly hurt me. We shall see where they go.
quicksabre: She turned me into a newt! ...I got better though!
SouthernKing: Well, this time I triggered the comet. As it was, I got the comet naturally about a dozen times. >.<

Chapter 15 – An Overheard Discussion

22/1/1820

John made his way back to Grey Palace in a thoughtful mood. The reaction of the bookseller had been strange, but it didn’t mean anything in particular. It might just have been a strange reaction that had nothing much to do with anything. However the revelation from Forbes was strange also. Several times John had tried to guess Lady Mendenhall’s age, but he had clearly been wrong. The bare minimum age of thirty-five seemed strange, as her Ladyship looked no older than thirty to start with.
As he entered the grounds, admitted by the redcoat guards at the gate, he noticed that several important looking carriages were parked by the entrance.

John entered, and was met by Victoria, who smiled pleasantly. “Enjoy your walk, sir?” she asked.
“Yes, thank you. Does her Ladyship have guests?”
“Yes sir, I didn’t catch their names though.”
“Oh, well, I’ll see her later doubtless. I am going to my room to read this book I bought.”
“Of course, sir. I shall call you when dinner is ready.”
John looked at his watch. It was already afternoon. “Thank you, Victoria. Can you send me a light lunch up to my room? I missed it while I was out.”
She curtseyed and left him to it.

John went upstairs to his room and looked at the book he had bought. The end papers listed the various Earls and Countesses of Orkney. From the first Norwegian lords he scanned down the list, and saw something very strange indeed. After 1580 when the province passed to England the rule had been held by a single family; the Mendenhalls. This was not in itself strange, but was unusual, for the same family to hold a position after two and a half centuries. What was really odd though was that the rule has passed through the female line the entire way, with a few small breaks for a husband or son. There were fourteen rulers in total between 1580 and the present, subtracting the two men who were in position for less than a year that left twelve women, an average of twenty years each.
John leaned back. Such regularity rarely happened, but it could have been based on incomplete evidence. Closing it, he lay back and thought about other things.
When Victoria delivered his lunch John ate in silence and then laid back on his bed, dozing off.

When he woke it was getting dark outside, but his watch told him it would still be an hour until dinner. Getting up he washed his face and tidied up his hair.
Going downstairs he heard her Ladyship speaking with the two visitors. He caught a bit of the discussion.
“…So you say, Lady, but the War Department is unconvinced about these new innovations,” one man said.
“So I am aware, Colonel. However, Mr Greene’s weapon is clearly superior to the current equipment the infantry uses. This rifle can fire a dozen rounds a minute. The lever action is clearly superior to the paper cartridges in use at the moment.”
The Colonel let out a small, patronising laugh. “I appreciate that, Lady Mendenhall, but I would trust my experience with military matters over yours. Give soldiers a faster weapon and they will shoot it off without bothering to aim. I am glad that you have taken an interest in this matter, but leave strategy to us men, please.”
There was a dead silence. John didn’t know much about her Ladyship, but knew that she would not take being talked down to well at all.
“I see. Well, Mr Greene, did you hear that? Your rifle is not wanted by the British Army, just as the current rifles, breech loading artillery and percussion caps were not wanted either. However, each time my family sponsored those inventions and they were accepted. However, that is fine, Colonel, I am sure the Emperor in Prague will be most interested in this invention. I will be sure to discuss this with her Majesty when I return to London.”
The Colonel sounded angry when he replied. “Lady, her Majesty accepts advice from those qualified to give it.”
“She certainly does. Very well, Colonel. Do not let me detain you.”

John took cover around the corner as the door opened. An angry soldier stalked out towards the exit where he was met by his valet.
“I’m sorry I couldn’t convince him, Lady,” Mr Greene said, shaking his head.
Lady Mendenhall smiled slightly. “I wouldn’t worry about it, Mr Greene. I am sure your fortunes will change soon. Take care.”

Once her Ladyship was alone with Tempest, except for John who was in hiding, she leaned forward to her bodyguard. John couldn’t hear what she said, but Tempest nodded and strode away purposefully towards the exit.
Believing herself alone, Lady Mendenhall frowned. “’Those qualified to give it’?” she said aloud dismissively. “Colonel, you shall learn that I am the one who is qualified, not you.”
With that she turned and walked away. John waited until he was sure no one was around, and then slipped back up to his room. Admitting he had overheard it was probably not a good idea. It had been, overall, a very interesting day.

Other than the fact that the Earldom of Orkney clearly has letters patent allowing it to travel through the female line, it is obvious that Lady Mendenhall is not what she appears. So, which one do you think it is, folks? :)

So within 75 years England will have conquered Scotland? Interesting.
And considering that Bohemia still owns Prague we also know the current HRE.
All I can say is that things are getting more interesting with every update. I am now seriously considering not reading this AAR for 2 months just to be able to read everything in one go instead of having to wait :(!

Morrell8: We were in agreement until the final word. :p But don't worry, my sister and nephew lives in Melbourne, so I will concede it's an OK place. We can both agree it's better than Adelaide though...right?

Naturally. On the story, I bet that Colonel will be found faced down in a Kirkwall gutter on the morrow.

Loki/Morrell8: Indeed, the Colonel might have an 'accident'.
Edgewise/Sethanon: Oh no! Don't do that! I post daily...I can't go any faster. :p
Arakhor: :ninja:
Sather: I had considered it. I'd probably do it as a stand alone story though, without reference to the game. Something for a long way down the track!

Chapter 15a – The Scholar King

Summarised from Chapter 5 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

King Henry IV came to the throne at a time of profound division and uncertainty across Europe. Since Becker’s call for reform many states found themselves forced to choose on fundamental issues. For England this meant choosing between a vigorous enforcement of the crown’s religion or a more moderate policy. Henry though delayed the choice, for he believed that the current religious tensions could not last long. On this, of course, he was mistaken.

1441506FirstSpreadProtestantism.jpg

And what of the King himself? Few monarchs had come to the crown so able and prepared to assume it. Ruling as virtual regent for his grandmother for five years had given him great experience. Furthermore his intellectual and scholarly skills were not in doubt. In 1507 he became the first English monarch since Alfred the Great to write a book, ‘The Wisdom of Statecraft’, which put forward interesting theories about the role of the monarchy. To emphasise this he begun the first movements towards an integrated administration by creating the ‘Royal Domains’ to properly oversee expenditure and more efficiently gather payments from the French lands. Parliament was allowed to send representatives to this, though they had no impact on the decisions made.

1451510SliderMoveCen.jpg

In the area of foreign policy, the English moved in to conquer and absorb areas of Mexico. The Portuguese, despite being English allies, were still very much rivals for the discovery of this new world. Thus, Mexico was seized from the native Aztecs, despite the problems of operating so far from home in a jungle environment. To combat the natives in such unfamiliar terrain, the King authorised the creation of new tactics based on Celtic skirmishers from Wales and Ireland. These forces, lighter armed and more flexible, proved capable of maintaining control over Mexico, and blocking Portuguese advances north.

1431506WarWithAztec.jpg

1421506ReformedGalloglaighInfantry.jpg

In 1507 a momentous event occurred. The Treaty of Coimbra effectively partitioned the world on a north/south basis. Everything to the north of Mexico was to be English, while everything to the south would be Portuguese. This treaty, though often flagrantly violated by both sides, would be the casus belli for many future disagreements.

Also in 1507, Henry would witness the birth of a granddaughter, Caroline. Though none knew it, it would be a very important and significant occasion.

Excellant..."treaty of friendship". I would have never have missed that...nice touch. Besides, I'd wager the Portuguese will lose everything anyway.

Last edited:
Well well well, future Queen Caroline is born. I for some reason see great things in her future. Things worth making pendants off atleast. Very interesting.

Ps: Even though I would like to stop for 2 months there is no way I could hold myself back that long! Its too good for that.

Loki: Well, I added that in later to explain why there was such a north/south relationship. But yes, Portugal didn't do badly from it, that's for certain.
Sethanon: Yes, she's definitely memorable enough to deserve the pendents!
Range: Perhaps they will! They are still allies though...for now.

Chapter 16 – Suspicions

23/1/1820

John Adams awoke early that Sunday morning, still deep in thought. There were definite oddities in this place. Perhaps isolation was taking its toll on people.
As John headed downstairs he encountered Victoria heading up the stairs towards his room.
“Good morning, sir. Shall I get you breakfast?”
“Yes please. Also, do you know an Anglican church in Kirkwall?”
“Yes sir, St James’ is on the main street there.”
“Does her Ladyship go there or somewhere else?” John asked.
“I do not go anywhere,” Lady Mendenhall said, standing at a doorway. She smiled at John. “Good morning, John. Sleep well?”
“Yes, Lady, thank you. You don’t go to church?” Though he was not especially devout John did go each week, and even on the steamer from London he had found time to pray in his cabin.
“Not since I was a girl,” Lady Mendenhall replied.
“Do you not think of the state of your immortal soul?” John asked, unable to contain himself.
She smiled at him and let out a chuckle. “All the time, but I doubt any priest can help there. In either case, I must preside in the town over the council meeting. If I leave now I should avoid the inevitable sermon. We will discuss more about your future at dinner, John. Come, Tempest.” With that she headed outside, Tempest following at her heels.

John had breakfast with Victoria serving him, and when he was finished they headed down towards the gates.
“You don’t have to come, you know,” John said.
“Do you want me to stay?” Victoria asked. She looked unhappy at the thought.
“No, come with me if you want to, but don’t feel like you must,” John said kindly.
And so the two of them headed down the road to Kirkwall. They’d not gone far until they’d come to the first bend. There, the ground was badly torn up, and a broken carriage wheel lay on the ground. Some locals were poking around at the remains.
“What happened?” John asked, walking over.
The people had seen where he’d come from, and said nothing. Finally one of them stepped forward.
“There was a carriage crash here last night, sir. Some visitor to her Ladyship’s house, a general I think, he and his driver missed the turn and crashed!”
“Nah, it was a colonel,” another man opined.
“What happened to them?” John asked.
The gazes of all of them were on him. “They both died,” the first man said tonelessly. “As happens when-“ he begun but was nudged into silence.
“We’d best be going, sir,” another one of them said, and they hurried off, occasionally giving him backward looks.
“What was all that about?” John asked. If indeed the Colonel had died did her Ladyship have anything to do with it? It wasn’t something he could ask Victoria about, but being entirely silent was no good either.
“I don’t know, sir,” Victoria said.
“Come on, let’s get into town.”

After spending a few hours in the town John and Victoria returned to find that Lady Mendenhall had just recently returned. As John was changing from his cloak and boots Victoria came up to him.
“Sir, her Ladyship requests your presence.”
“I will come,” John said.

When he arrived in the Lady’s drawing room he found her waiting for him in a tall chair, and a good fire burning in the hearth. The sunlight streamed in the window and revealed a pleasantly decorated room. It was also rather large, doing the job of entertainment and private area.
“Welcome, John,” she said graciously. “Please do be seated. Did you find the church?”
“I did, thank you Lady. How did the meeting go?”
She waved a hand dismissively. “Oh, the same as always in such occasions, John. A farmer sent a petition to repair a levee, a trader complained of outdated charts. The dreary business of government.”
John nodded. He kept all his feelings to himself, especially in regards to the carriage accident and the reaction of the people in Kirkwall. There would be no gain in raising it; all it would do would upset Lady Mendenhall. After all, she had been kindness itself to him. Instead he kept his thoughts to himself and asked more neutral question.
“Lady, if I may, might I be able to consult your library later? I didn’t bring my copy of Plato’s Republic, and I’m guessing you have one?”
She smiled indulgently. “Of course, John. Feel free. There are some old works in there, so be careful with them. You can’t be too careful with ancient items.”
“I will, Lady.”
“Now, you have been here for a few days, what do you think?” she asked, her gaze intent, but friendly.
“You have been very kind to me, Lady. I like it here,” John replied truthfully. “I think that if I was going to continue my education I would certainly do it here. Victoria has been very attentive, and you have not spared me anything.”
Lady Mendenhall smiled. “I am glad you think so, John. Are you willing to stay then? If not I will ensure that the ship to Aberdeen takes you when it leaves next. But I feel that you wish to stay. I feel as though you are…intrigued by this place still. And by me.”
John started somewhat, worried that she had somehow seen his thoughts. He calmed himself though and nodded.
“It does, yes. You intrigue me, Lady, a woman of such…command, such power.”
“Thank you, John. It is certainly true. And yet I sense you are worried about something. Tell me, I bid you.”
John hesitated, and then chose a topic easier to enunciate. “I heard about the death of the Colonel. I just thought it was bad luck, but it’s a worrying reminder about fate.”
Lady Mendenhall seemed to accept this answer, and nodded understandingly. “Death when it comes suddenly is always terrible, more so when it is someone you knew or recently talked to. Unfortunately he could not be saved. It’s a dangerous corner, and many have suffered untimely deaths there.”
“Yes, Lady, I can see that. Thank you for your words.”
“You are welcome. Now, if you wish you may use the library. Make sure it is left tidy though.”
John nodded, rose. “Where is it?”
“Victoria will take you, and then she will attend upon me upstairs.” She looked at the maid and smiled. “Her presence is always a comfort to me.”
Victoria bowed her head, and headed for the door. John was sure that she was blushing slightly, and he knew not why.

A33DrawingRoom.jpg

And the Colonel is very much dead, as predicted. Either Lady Mendenhall is fiercely anti-religious or she already knows the fate of her soul. Faust springs to mind.