• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Its a history book right? History doesnt pay much attention to those periods where nothing happens. Perhaps a little paragraph but nothing more! That being said I enjoy England strenghtening its grip.

You got the Byzantine Refugees as well? I'd say you're doing stupendously. :D

Viking_Manstein: Thanks! :D
quicksabre: Thank you! I do my best.
Arakhor: Yes, it's a very useful thing. Gives some major bonuses.
Sethanon: You're right, and the history sections from now on will cover longer times when needed, and shorter when there's a specific event I want to discuss like the Reformation.
Sather: Yes, though the Free Subjects negative events aren't that bad. Not as bad as Centralisation or Aristocracy.
Momento Mori: "It's so hard to get good servants! Things were better in the old days!" That's pretty much the opinion of everyone...the past is always better when viewed through liberal uses of rose tinted glasses!
loki: Too quiet perhaps! :D

Chapter 14 – Puzzles and Riddles

22/1/1820

John had spent the rest of Friday the 21st around the gardens of Lady Mendenhall’s palace, and later had gone to write a letter to his father and family. As she had said, he saw no more of her Ladyship that day.

The next morning was sunnier than the day before, and the wind had dropped a little. Thus, when Victoria came to see him he was already awake and dressed.
“I want to head down to Kirkwall today,” he told her. “I have a letter to post, and I want to look around.”
She curtseyed. “Of course, sir. I will leave when you are ready, sir.”
“I think I can handle this on my own,” John stated.
For a moment Victoria looked uncertain, and John wondered if she’d been given orders to stay with him whenever he left the house. Finally she nodded. “Yes sir, of course.”
John smiled and moved a bit closer. “Thank you. You’ve been very kind to me so far, and I hope you’ll join me later when I get back.”
She looked up at him and smiled as well. “I will sir, thank you.”

The walk down to Kirkwall didn’t take as long as John had feared, and within an hour he had arrived in the main street. Though small, the town offered all the amenities that one could hope for, especially since they were catering for Lady Mendenhall as well as the locals.
John bought himself some bread and fresh cheese and ate that as he walked in the sunlight towards the harbour.
A sign caught his attention:

Wyatt’s Books and Other Relics

Always being interested in such things, John opened the door and entered. The smell of musty paper assailed him, and piles of old books filled every surface. Some were relatively new, while some were old and crumbling.
“Welcome, sir!” the owner said, appearing from a backroom.
“Good morning. Are you open?” John asked, for it was relatively early on Saturday.
“We are, sir. Anything I can help you with? I am Josiah Wyatt, sir, at your service.”
“No, just looking. Unless you have some works on the history of Kirkwall?”
“Come this way, sir,” Josiah said. Near the back of the shop was a sign indicating that this was where the history books were stored. “Not much call for history anymore, sir. It’s all romances and fiction.” Josiah clearly approved of neither as he pulled out some books from the shelf.
John took one, though it was written in Norwegian and he couldn’t read it. The next was written in 1713 by a Magnus Gundwell. The last was much later, and written in 1814 by John Keyes, and was overall much more readable.
“I will take the one by Keyes,” John said.
“Excellent choice, sir. Are you new in town? Can’t say I’ve seen you about.”
“Yes, I arrived a couple of days ago. I’m staying with her Ladyship.”
This produced an extraordinary effect. Josiah paused, still holding the book, and his grip tightened on it.
“Oh, well, sir, why didn’t you say so?” Josiah said, laughing with false joviality. “I always try to do the best by her Ladyship!” he said.
John, mystified by this change, didn’t say anything for a few seconds. “I am sure you do. Now, the book?”
“Oh, yes sir. Sorry sir. Consider it a gift, sir,” Josiah said. He was starting to sweat.
“A gift? Why? What is going on?”
“Nothing, sir. Just want to show my appreciation for her Ladyship’s patronage,” he said.
John left the man a shilling regardless and wandered out onto the street. The whole encounter was bizarre. Was Lady Mendenhall really that intimidating?

A32Book.jpg

It was as he was walking back through the town that John almost bumped into Forbes, the old butler.
“Good morning, sir! How are you this morning?”
“Very well, and you?”
“I am well. Her Ladyship is kind enough to give me a day off each week on account of my age. She always says ‘at your age you shouldn’t have to work every day!’. A great Lady, sir.”
“So it seems,” John replied. “How long have you worked for her Ladyship, Forbes?” John asked.
“Well, it must be nineteen years now. Yes, see I was hired in April of 1800 by her Ladyship herself. All the staff signs up for twenty years, so I am nearing my retirement.”
“Her Ladyship hired you? Not her mother?” John asked, surprised.
“No, sir. I was hired after the Comte de Rouen passed on, and I was invited up here. Now old Weatherly who had been here before me said that her Ladyship had arrived a few months before I did. Her mother, well I never met her, but Weatherly liked her. A fair woman he said.”
John nodded, questions filling his mind. “So how old is her Ladyship? I thought she couldn’t be older than thirty, but if she arrived her twenty years ago she must be older.”
Forbes shook his head. “I do not inquire into the age of any lady, sir. I know how much my dear Alice used to hate it.”
“Yes, of course. So, Victoria is doing well, she’s your niece, isn’t she?”
“She is, sir. Came here after her mother died. Fitting in well.” He drew out an ancient watch and peered at it short sightedly. “If you will excuse me, sir, I have an appointment to keep.”
“Of course, thank you, Forbes.”

After he had gone John was left alone, pondering. Something was very strange here, but he couldn’t figure out what it was.

She must be atleast 35ish then.. And the bookstore keeper didn't seem to like her Ladyship too much, what is it that she hides?
We need more answers, giving tiny clues is unfair :(!

The brutal ruler of Kirkwall she is. And I must say Ashantai, you have got yourself a brilliant AAR, I've been reading since the start, and captivated by your writing. :)

I must agree...the switching back and forth between game play and story of characters works quite well. And, taking out France is really a great turn of events. Now, the trick might be in keeping their land...and, or, not have France pop up somewhere on mainland Europe.

I am enjoying the hell out of the story, Ashantai, and it is a tribute to your writing that I am extremely conflicted over the true nature and intent of Lady Mendenhall.

Seems like a generous lady of noble stock, but then we find out she's hiding treasures the British Museum would mug its own grandmother for—Henry Bolingbroke's ring, the King's buff coat, the crown of France! Surely these pieces must be part of the Crown Jewels (assuming, of course, the sovereign is aware that they exist). Which in turn made me extremely suspicious of Lady Mendenhall's methods and circumstances of acquisition.

She offers up a very plausible method of their loss and recovery (tumult of the Civil War), easing my fears somewhat. I was about to put away the pitchfork and torches after that update. But she cleverly avoids any specifics; namely whether this collection was obtained piecemeal from multiple third parties, or en masse from someone else's collection.

Now we learn that she appears preternaturally young for her age, raising a third horrifying possibility—that perhaps she or some similarly long-lived forebear was actually on hand, Highlander-style, to recover the goods at the time the incidents occurred. Added to the fact that the local commoners seem to have a healthy respect fear of her, I believe it prudent to conclude that she is a witch or a mutant and we should all flee for our lives.

Under the learned doctrine of Effluvia, young Master John should have Victoria bake a witch-cake using rye bread and the urine of the suspected witch. When fed to a local dog, the invisible effluvia particles contained in the cake will be crushed by the dog's jaws, transmitting this pain directly back to the witch.

Under the learned doctrine of Effluvia, young Master John should have Victoria bake a witch-cake using rye bread and the urine of the suspected witch. When fed to a local dog, the invisible effluvia particles contained in the cake will be crushed by the dog's jaws, transmitting this pain directly back to the witch.
Actually, he'd better ask her to teach him how to bake, so that he can bake it himself. I doubt Victoria will react kindly to John's accusation that her Lady is a witch...

Apologies for the no post, one will be up in a couple of hours. I'm on the road today and no access to my machine. :)

SouthernKing: Indeed they are!
Sethanon: But tiny clues are fun! :p
Morrell8 Thanks! Good to see another Aussie here...even if you are from Melbourne. :p
Chris Taylor: It means a lot for such a good writer to compliment me so. :) You have some very, very good thoughts and insights here. I won't comment on them specifically because it may or may not be close to the mark! I hope to see your wonderful AAR updated soon too when you have the time and energy. :)
quicksabre: Haha, probably not indeed!

... I doubt Victoria will react kindly to John's accusation that her Lady is a witch...

Er... well that's one of the signs of witchcraft! There's... some kind of test for that, too! :laugh:

Ashantai: You're ratcheting up the mystery / uncertainty pretty effectively; I (like everyone else) can't wait to have further clues unveiled.

Chris Taylor: We found a witch...may we burn her? :p

Chapter 14a – The Last Years of Queen Mary

Summarised from Chapter 4 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

Queen Mary by 1497 was in her 60s and the vigour of her youth was giving way to old age. Only one of her sons had survived to this point, the Red Prince Edward. However in the winter and early spring of 1497 he contracted pneumonia and died on the 16th of March. The Queen was distraught, for now she had no children left. Fortunately though Edward had had several children, the oldest of which was Henry, a 28 year old man of considerable promise. Like his grand mother Henry had married early, falling for the beautiful Marguerite d’Savoy, who was several years older than him. They had a son in 1485, James, who was considered the heir should Henry die. Thus the succession was protected.

1331497Heirs.jpg

As the Queen’s sorrow became deeper and deeper, Prince Henry was forced to assume many of the responsibilities of ruling, acting almost as a regent from 1500 onwards. He needed all his considerable experience in dealing with new issues arising from the conquests in France. The first of these was the first recoinage since Edward III, integrating a combined English and French currency which was significantly easier to use than those before.

1341498MonetaryReforms.jpg

In the Americas the settlements in Arcadia came under considerable pressure at the turn of the century, to the point that Henry organised a force of 100 soldiers to ensure that the colony in Labrador was not overrun.

1371501NativeRaids.jpg

In this time more lands in France were added to the English crown, the Duchy of Orleans gave up its independence and was integrated into the Queen’s domain. To the north Flanders, originally liberated from Burgundy, submitted to vassalage around the same time.

1361500FlandersVassal.jpg

1391502OrleansAnnexed.jpg

Queen Mary died in September 1505, aged 75. By the end in constant pain, and withdrawn from court life, her grandson had been ruling in her name for almost five years already. However, after 51 years on the throne there were few people in England who could remember life without the Queen. The predictions of a woman leading England to ruin were proved absurd, for England now dominated western Europe, in part due to Mary’s determination to succeed.

1411505HenryIVDeVere.jpg

This somewhat rosy picture hides the fact that a new problem was soon to appear. When a great comet passed over in 1502, shining down on Europe for several days, many took it as a sign of religious disfavour. Indeed, in the small duchy of Oldenburg a young priest named Friedrich August Becker took it as a call to arms against the injustices in the church. No one knew it, but within two months of the Queen’s death her successor would start to be embroiled in the turmoil of the Protestant Reformation.

1381502Comet.jpg

141a1505Reformation.jpg

In many ways it was good that Mary had passed when the trouble begun. Rarely had there been such a fervent, devout Catholic on the throne of England, and never would there be again. Mary’s death marked a fitting end to an era and marked the start of a new, more difficult one, for England and all of Christendom.

(Because I hadn't got the right message notifications on I missed the start of the Reformation, so I made my own so I could get a picture of it!)

Interesting, now the great wars of Religion can start. I wonder what direction England will take.
Im enjoying this AAR more with every update you post.

At the risk of using a horribly out-of-place reference, this AAR has the McDonalds effect. :)

She must be atleast 35ish then.. And the bookstore keeper didn't seem to like her Ladyship too much, what is it that she hides?
We need more answers, giving tiny clues is unfair :(!

She could be much older. If I take Ashantais previous AAR into consideration that is. :D
Vampire, time Traveller etc everything is possible here. ;)

@Ashantai
wasn't it said earlier that the Queen had only one child? Or Do I remember wrong now?

Very true. God I still miss that AAR. Talena was awesome. I hope we'll see/hear from her more one day.
(Or maybe we already do and she's just sneaking around in Britain now, pretending to be high nobility)