• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lady Protector Alexandra has some awesome stats to offer ... also this Commonwealth seems to conduct itself with more sense (ok unless you are Portuguese) than its original. Which leaves me to wonder does it mutate back into a monarchy with the role of Protector becoming heredity?

Equally, having offed the King, we've not seen any obvious glimpses of her ladyship in that last update (or I missed them), I guess the regime's chances of survival may depend on her opinion as whether or not they are worthy?

Sorry that I reply without catching up on all of the story, but I'd like to cite a quote from chapter 28a of "Brittania Triumphant"

Lady Mendenhall said:
One of the ironies of history is that looking back one can see things clearer, but cannot change them.

And the irony of ironies is that the words were written by this author ;)

Edit after reading more: Oh, by the way, I guess that during the regicide on barley field it is reveled that Lady is a hipocrite. First she condemns Gray for ordering the assasination of children of trators on the account that they are children of trators alone and then she goes on saying something that the kings son would pay for the sins of his father. Although I have previously thought about Mendenhall mostly in superlatives, now I agree with these who believe John should get away from her fast.

Last edited:
[...] I guess that during the regicide on barley field it is reveled that Lady is a hipocrite. First she condemns Gray for ordering the assasination of children of trators on the account that they are children of trators alone and then she goes on saying something that the kings son would pay for the sins of his father. Although I have previously thought about Mendenhall mostly in superlatives, now I agree with these who believe John should get away from her fast.

A quote about history being written by the victors comes to mind. :D

Sorry to see Portugal take an arrow in the knee; I guess some other pair of nations now holds the distinction of having the world's oldest military alliance.

Like others, I am surprised to see a Lady Protector (and yes, what agreeable stats!). Is that a possibility in the default game, or did she have to be modded in? I figured republics were kind of like the Papacy, male-only (but then I have never seen a Republican Dictatorship in-game, either).

Good gains against Portugal, as you say Britain is undisputably the strongest nation in the world now. With Lady Alexandra's stats I get the feeling she will only become stronger.

Very exciting! :D I can't wait to see what she'll do... tbh, at first I suspected she was Mendenhall incognito, especially with the line "the strangest person imaginable became ruler of Great Britain," but since we've seen Alexandra as a child, guess no. Still! Excited.

Random side note, Alexandra probably gets this a lot in bars: "So you're the Lady Protector, eh? Well, I'm the lady-protector.... baby." (And then she has them killed.)

bananafishtoday: No, it's not her in disguise, but keep that in mind.... And yeah, I think Angelique would have Tempest arrange an accident for anyone who did that to her!
morningSIDEr: Indeed! Or at least...you'd think so.
Chris Taylor: Skyrim reference! No, it's not possible for Republics to have female leaders. BUT, the localisation for them exists, and Lady Protector is my favourite title, so I simply had to do a little save editing. I'd not have got another Cromwell either without editing as well.
Sather: Indeed. Very interesting, yes?
Momento Mori: You raise some very, very perceptive points here. Namely about her writing the history to suit her own tastes, but also about how hypocritical she is. It's a point that will be elaborated on later, but in general terms she sees the world in two separate circles; her and then everyone else. When she says 'nobody' and 'everybody' she is not putting herself in those categories.
blsteen: I thought so! Portugal still had big armies at the end, but I occupied all European Portugal and North America. They still had 25,000 men dying of tropical attrition in east Africa which I didn't even need to attack!
Loki: We shall see...but remember that when Cromwell died no one could have imagined that there would be a King within just two years again. Similar with what happens here I guess in different ways.
Arakhor: I thought so! Best title in the game, bar none.

Chapter 32 – Sanctuary

30/1/1820

John jumped as the gunshot sounded. For a second he waited for the searing pain to engulf him, but when it didn’t happen he looked at his attacker.
The man, blinking furiously, and with a dribble of blood escaping from his mouth, slowly fell forward. As he hit the ground his gun went off and fire harmlessly into the rocks.
John’s saviour, Lady Mendenhall, stepped forward. “Come on, John, let’s get out of here.”
“Where’s Victoria and Tempest?”
“They’re fine, now come on!” she said urgently.

Along with some of the passengers, John and her Ladyship took cover in the rail cutting beyond. After a moment Tempest and Victoria joined them, the latter looking very scared.
“Tempest?” Lady Mendenhall asked expectantly.
“I killed one of them, Lady,” Tempest explained. “There were two others who escaped me.”
“So four all together,” the Lady said thoughtfully.
Meanwhile Victoria had been seeking some sanctuary with John. John, a little unsure what to do, held her close to calm her down. “Shh, it’s alright, they’re gone now.”
“One of them was going to kill me! He said that I deserved it because of who I worked for! And then…then he died, and Tempest dragged me away. It was horrible!”
Tempest looked completely nonplussed about the whole situation, and cleaned off her bloody blade as though it was a fruit knife.
John held Victoria close though. “It’s alright,” he repeated. “You’re safe.”
Lady Mendenhall came down to soothe her maid as well, leaving Tempest on watch. After a moment she called to them.
Looking out from cover John could see that another train was coming towards them on the rails, and slowed to a halt as it got close. From the train a collection of redcoat soldiers appeared and advanced in skirmish formation. There were a few shots, and then silence.

When they went to see who their rescuers were John was amazed to see his brother George decked out in a Lieutenant’s uniform. He seemed to be doing a fair bit of shouting and waving his hat in a manner that would have instantly got him killed on a battlefield.
“Well hello, Johnny!” he said. He took off his hat and awkwardly bowed to Lady Mendenhall. “Are you hurt or anything, Miss? Lady, I mean. Lady Mendenhall, yes?” he gabbled.
Her Ladyship laid a hand on his shoulder. “Thank you, Lieutenant. So, you are John’s brother, are you? You’re lucky to have a brother like him.”
“If you say so, Lady. I mean, thank you,” He said, bowing again, blushing.
“Who is in charge here?” the Lady asked, managing to stop herself smiling only with a great effort.
“I am, Lady,” a Major said, walking forward. “Major Richmond at your service, ma’am. Thank you, Lieutenant, you may go.”
“Yes, sir. I’ll see you later, John!” George said, marching off.
“Now, Major, your arrival is very welcome, but how did you know to come here?”
“I am not sure on the details, but we were mustered this morning after a message from the Foreign Office stating that an attack was possible. I regret we did not arrive here sooner.”
“No harm done, Major. Two of the attackers were killed, and I think the passengers are unharmed, if a bit shaken. It is imperative that I get to London quickly though.”
“You are welcome to come with us then. This train will need repairs before it goes anywhere. I’ll have some of my men fetch any of your luggage, my Lady.”
“Thank you, Major, much obliged. Come, John.”

While her Ladyship travelled with the Major and the more senior officers, John travelled to London with Victoria and his brother in one of the passenger carriages. It was designed to move soldiers, so it was not as comfortable, but once it had turned around it was fast.
“Thank you for being so kind to me,” Victoria said from beside John. “I am not used to all this danger.”
John smiled. “I’m happy to help, though I think that her Ladyship and Tempest did far more.” He smiled modestly. “But don’t worry, I’ll make sure they don’t hurt you.” Without looking around he dug his elbow into his brother who was sniggering.

And so, having survived the ambush, but not knowing who or why they were pursued they continued on, back to London. It would be most interesting to discover just what would happen once they arrived.

Oh well Ash, you know I am not into Lesbians as much as you. ;)

Side note without real knowledge: We see this blood dripping from the mouth after being shot all the time in movies and TV-series. I think I remember reading that it isn't that common. Don't know the truth here though.

Johns brother is really outspoken for a british officer, isn't he? :D Also chuckle about how John gets to be the white knight for the disturbed maid though. :D

Poor John, torn between a maid and a duchess, I'd know who I would pick!
Onwards to London!
Gender roles of the time period notwithstanding, I seriously doubt John could just "pick" Lady Mendenhall as if she were a Pokemon. :p

Gender roles of the time period notwithstanding, I seriously doubt John could just "pick" Lady Mendenhall as if she were a Pokemon. :p

Pikachu, I choose you?

/goes with the Bulbasaur instead.

John will have Lady Mendenhall as a lover until he is old enough to settle down, at which point he will marry Victoria.

Uhm... Let me remind you of this little tidbit:

A touch embarrassed, John coughed. “I talked with Sir Henry. I…am I the latest in a long line?” he asked, not sure if this would upset her or not.
“Yes, but I don’t want you to feel as though that is demeaning in any way. John, I think you are a very talented man, and I asked for your companionship because I value it. I was going to tell you in good time about myself, but you figured it out far faster than anyone else. Look, don’t be angry, John,” she said, and to his surprise he saw she was almost pleading. “I need…I need someone to be with me. It gives me perspective, a moral compass even. If I was by myself for four hundred years I would quickly grow to despise most people for their wicked, corrupt ways, their greed, their ignorance. But if I have someone with me who can give me the lens of humanity…I can see the world as I should.”

So she's lacking in the empathy department at best, and bordering on the sociopathic at worst. There is an oft-repeated aphorism about not ah, becoming intimate with ladies inclined to violence or mental instability. So maybe it wouldn't be good to try and make time with the immortal woman with the track record for personal violence. Perhaps the maid who blanches at bloodshed and seems unlikely to stab you in your sleep would be the safer bet. :D

Although an immortal forever young pokemon would be quite the addition to have. I wonder whether pokeballs would accept her.
I must add that I didnt really mean that he can just pick whomever he likes, but there is an obvious chemistry with both of them.

The vibe I've always got from her Ladyship and John was more akin to the Doctor and his companions, to be honest. He's fascinated by her and attracted to her, but after he's learned her secrets he sees her less as a romantic partner and more of a mentor...and all around immortal.
As for her Ladyship...well, she's more interested in John for his academic and moral views. As Sather, and most of you I guess, have worked out, men are not her preferred choice except in certain cases (William III and another future King we'll get to).

I had considered pairing him with Victoria, but I didn't push that one too far along. After all, she IS a maid, and while John might be content to have a relationship with her I'm pretty sure his family would be unimpressed!

Thanks guys! :)

Thank you all for your replies. :)

Chapter 32a – The Lady Protector

Summarised from Chapter 8 of ’Britannia Triumphant’ by Lady Mendenhall.

The accession of Alexandra Cromwell to the title of Lady Protector was one of the strangest occurrences in English history. While the English might well believe that a woman could be God’s chosen and vice-regent, it was another thing for a woman to become leader of Parliament. Since women could neither vote, nor own property in their own right without a man it was especially astonishing.
Alexandra managed this feat by being extremely intelligent, a keen debater and being extremely charismatic. However, problems were raised immediately about how a woman could be the Lady Protector. A strange solution was finally worked out; her brother Matthew Cromwell would officially address Parliament, while she would work in the chambers above the new Parliament. Her brother, jealous of her power and influence was determined to supplant her.

3441658AlexandraCromwell.jpg

It was a ramshackle and difficult settlement. The Lady Protector could do little herself, and her reign was very unhappy at first. However, Alexandra got her break in 1658 when she discovered that her brother was enriching himself at the expense of the treasury, as well as misrepresenting her words. His indiscrete words had led to agents from Lorraine acquiring considerable secrets, and when Lord Rochester was revealed as being in league with them, Alexandra acted.

3451659Embezzlement.jpg

In a dramatic scene Alexandra burst into the House of Lords while a bill to limit her powers was being discussed. It was then she gave a speech no less brilliant that Queen Caroline had done. In it she denounced her brother and called for action against Lorraine. Matthew Cromwell, who had made himself unpopular with many found himself on the receiving end of the ire of the Lords, and was stripped of his position.

3461661WarWithLorraine.jpg

3471661EnemyCoalition.jpg

A brief but successful war followed, with the aftermath producing important changes to the way the British government was administered. Despite facing a powerful enemy coalition, Great Britain had forced heavy reparations on Lorraine and inflicted key defeats on Austrian forces. Alexandra was seen in a better light after this, though her cabinet of ministers and Parliament still held the reigns of power she was granted more leeway than before.

3491662PhilosopherHeretic.jpg

3501664CabinetNI.jpg

3521665SliderMoveCen.jpg

The latter part of her reign saw Navarra absorbed into the British fold as a key border area with Spain. Meanwhile the process of Scottish cultural integration was continuing, with the urge for Scottish independence fading away, just as it had done in France.

3481661AyrshireAssimilation.jpg

3511665NavarraAnnexed.jpg

In late 1665, after only 7 years as Lady Protector, Alexandra Cromwell sickened. There was nothing doctors or her friends could do her from the illness, believed to be early onset cancer. Regardless, as she lay dying at the age of only 40 already the government was breaking up. There was no easy choice for a replacement, and many people disliked having a Lord Protector standing in for a King but without any of the trappings or benefits. Moreover there was no easy replacement. A soldier, Edward Drake managed to get himself appointed by a most unwilling Parliament, but his support was extremely limited and he was a very unsuitable choice and a most unworthy man.

On Christmas Day 1665 Alexandra Cromwell died. As a woman she had promised so much, but she was ahead of her time in many ways. Distrusted by the men in power and hampered by her own ill health she would have made a fabulous Queen, but as the leader of a Republic she simply could not overcome the many prejudices directed at her. She died lamented by many, a brilliant woman taken before her time.

3531665EdwardDrake.jpg

(Now, this was another case where I intervened. Since Alexandra was a new leader she could have easily lived for 40 years. I didn't want that...well I did, but I decided to make the hard choice and bring about the restoration soon after. In retrospect I could have played on as a Republic and had a very different end to the story, but I moved back to the monarchy.)