• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks guys! :)

99 updates down, this is it.

Chapter 48 – Epilogue

4/2/1834

It was always cold in February in Hartford. John remembered well just how icy it could be from his time as a student. However, it was just a minor inconvenience to him; he wouldn’t miss this day for anything. It was not a happy day, but it was something he needed to be here for.
At the Windermere Cemetery overlooking Hartford he found the grave he was looking for. The snow had been cleared from the grave, and as John ran his hand over the raised granite sarcophagus he sighed.

Catherine Adams 1773 – 1814
Devoted mother, wife, friend.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
RIP

It was then that he noticed a fresh red rose had been laid on the tomb, the petals blanching in the cold wind.
Almost instinctively he looked around and saw a dark figure standing not far away. He walked over and joined them.
“Good morning, John Adams,” Angelique said, lowering her hood. She looked, as he suspected, the same as she had always done.
“Thank you for coming, Angel. I thought I might see you here.”
“I wouldn’t miss this. Twenty years since it happened. I still think about it.”
“I suppose I should be flattered that out of all the things that happened in four centuries you still think about it,” John said.
“I don’t think flattered is the right word perhaps. But, enough of that. My condolences as always.”
“Thank you, Angel. How have things been with you? It’s been a few months.”
“Going well. Selena is coming on well. It’s her 20th soon. Tempest would be so proud of her. And how about you, settling in to Parliament?”
“I don’t know how father put up with it, but it’s going well. I’ll try and find the time to come and see you soon,” John promised.
Their conversation died off, and they faced each other. Each realised that they were going to drift apart, as Angelique’s new path took her a different direction from John’s.
“I’ve kept my promise, John. No interference. I fear for the consequences though, I really do.”
John touched her arm gently. “Angel, people have to make mistakes on their own. We can’t always have someone to fix them.”
“I suppose not. Well, take care, John. You know where to find me in London.”
“Thank you. Good luck, Angel.”
Angelique Grey smiled slightly. “I think luck is something I’ve never had. To the future….”

So 400 years of pulling strings and she steps down cause a boy says so? I find that hard to believe. :laugh: She might be on a break for now, but who knows? Power is a drug that is hard to let go.:)

Anyway, thanks again Ashantai for your great story. Hopefully we will get something as good as this sometime in the future.:)

99 updates, plus a small epilogue? I find it hard to believe that exactly 100 episodes is a coincidence. :)

This AAR was amazing! Great job. I will miss it though. Who is going to provide a daily read now?

Im already looking forward to your next AAR, once it arrives!

well i can only offer the highest praise for a superb AAR. The History book elements were well written and put together, but combined with the narrative posts this reached some impressive heights. As to Angelique turning over a new leaf. Possible as long as John lives, but like others I can see the lure of power and influence drawing her back in.

And much credit for having the confidence to open with a map of the game in 1822 ...

I too can see her Ladyship sliding back to her old ways...a bit at first, then a bit more, then finally totally. But yes, maybe not while John is there to remind her, but afterwards.

I would like to thank everyone who has read and commented, but especially the above five members who have been with me from the start, and Range as well. You six have provided a lot of inspiration and help to pull me through. Thank you. :)

I was mainly bugging you about spelling and incorrect usage of titles. :D

Yes...well even so, it's nice to know that someone's reading it closely enough to pick those things out! :p

I find that getting comments on AARs is really helpful so it was my pleasure! Although I do have to admit that I only first read this AAR a week after it started. It was good fun to read 7 updates in a row though!

I think I might have to show this AAR to some of my friends. I really admire how it makes such a great stand alone story - even without knowledge of the game I can imagine reading this and loving it. It takes skill to do that with an AAR. Kudos to you sir. ;)

How does a 28th Century temporal immortal die anyway? You've revealed that they have Adam Monroe-style immortality (from Heroes), so how do you make sure one of them dies permanently?

Tamara/Angelique found a way, as did Talena in her adventures. The easiest way is to use something from the same time period, meaning Talena's weapon, since that has the same rules as her. Another way would be to stake through the heart and then destroy the body. That would also work.

Thank you all for your kind words. :)

I plan to take a break from AARs...CK2, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3 are going to occupy my time over the next few months I'm sure! When I do return I plan to do something a bit different...without time travel surprise, surprise...but with the same general structure as this - one narrative/one history posts linked together. We shall see how it goes!

Also, if there's any 'historical' events in this story you'd like a short narrative piece written on, do let me know and I can probably arrange it.

Thank you!

Congratulations on finishing your AAR, Ashantai! :cool:

I have to admit, I was wondering why Talena and Angelique seemed to share the same uh... predicament. I had chalked it up to "writer's prerogative", and thought that the immortal time traveller thing was something you wanted to explore further—just not with the same character as before. I was genuinely surprised (and pleasantly so) when their stories/timelines overlapped, and you gave us a sort of postscript to Talena's tale.

I also liked that Mendenhall's motivation had a sensible grounding; anyone from the early 20th century (when our British Empire was at its zenith) would be astounded to find out that in another timeline, the world's largest empire did not even exist. Certain such an individual might be motivated to generate and preserve Britain (and British territories), while trying to avoid the bloodiest conflicts of our history.

It's been a while since I've played a vanilla-ish EU3 so the size and scope (and religious/cultural unity) of your holdings are a little breathtaking! Did anything other than the usual Brit cultures (English/Scottish) remain accepted?

Just finished catching up, a completed AAR is a rare and beutiful thing alone(im determind to get back to my Northumbria one eventually :) ), but to have such great writing, characters and consistant details is really amazing. You should be very proud of your work and I hope some more AARland awards find there way over soon.

Thanks guys! :)

I had Cosmo French accepted all the way until 1750 or so...which gave me the idea for a French Revolution!

Now, I had an idea for a story. It would be a total change of pace and tone, so I'd value opinions to see if anyone would think it could work. What I was thinking was a parody of these two tales. You know how they always whine that because they're women no one takes them seriously? What about if we had a guy in the same place...but who has even more problems...and wishes he was a woman! :p
I'd also play it without any limitations on myself, so it'd be a comedy conquest game. Could be fun though!

Thoughts?

Last edited: