• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice update TekcoR. I am terrible at names and name puzzles so I wont even guess. I like it that our Colonel will have a Lt as an adjutant, and I am assuming will only report to Fromm?? That is some awesome power to wield...especially to be able to tell those toadies Jodl and Kietel to go 'pound sand'.

I will take a wild guess to say that this young Lt will also rise in rank along with Tristan to be at least a General once the "flashbacks" are all done...He must stay with Tristan (I would guess again) to be able to mold the Reserve Army into what Tristan wants it to be....and for what he wants to use it for.....(overthrow the Fuhrer, etc).

Looking forward to more. imagesCAMQMUJZ.jpg

This photo is of James Coburn as Sgt Steiner....but he looks like a grizzled, worn out young officer to me....could this be our mystery Lt?

Nice update TekcoR. I am terrible at names and name puzzles so I wont even guess. I like it that our Colonel will have a Lt as an adjutant, and I am assuming will only report to Fromm?? That is some awesome power to wield...especially to be able to tell those toadies Jodl and Kietel to go 'pound sand'.

I will take a wild guess to say that this young Lt will also rise in rank along with Tristan to be at least a General once the "flashbacks" are all done...He must stay with Tristan (I would guess again) to be able to mold the Reserve Army into what Tristan wants it to be....and for what he wants to use it for.....(overthrow the Fuhrer, etc).

Looking forward to more. View attachment 61024

This photo is of James Coburn as Sgt Steiner....but he looks like a grizzled, worn out young officer to me....could this be our mystery Lt?

Well, our young Lt. von Wren will have some powers; however how much who knows yet.

I'm not even going to try anymore. My track record so far is abysmal, so I'll just wait in suspense.

I'm not even going to try anymore. My track record so far is abysmal, so I'll just wait in suspense.

Suspense will be the norm. Just finally opened up the word document containing Nightmare after a few days of not writing.

Alptraum (Nightmare)
An Alternative History Affair
By TekcoR

Flashback

Chapter 4
Into the Shadows

Fromm graciously dismissed both von Wren and me shortly after our formal introduction; mostly to my dismay. I thought that Fromm would be more interested in further briefing me to the necessities of performing my task as Chief of Staff. Nevertheless, my new adjutant and I followed our orders and left the room general’s room. Leaning against the wall opposite of the door was Rhiley, who raised his head to look up at the distraction caused by the opening door. His facial expression summed up the meeting; over so soon.

“Carry on,” were the first words out of my mouth, before even fully out of the room. Tradition is to be honored and I generally did not require family to perform the necessary military custom due to my rank; except when another officer was present with me. I generally pre-empted their required duty.

Rhiley went back to a relaxed position, though he did not lean against the wall now. “Lieutenant von Wren, this is Obergefreiter Rhiley Schnack, the personal driver of the Chief of Staff of the Reserve Army,” I said with a smile directed towards my nephew. “Rhiley, this is Lieutenant Frank von Wren, my adjutant assigned by General Fromm.” I turned my facial expression to the one that showed he was to be shown the full military customs; in turn Rhiley acknowledged with a barely noticeable nod of his head.

The two exchanged formalities; yet I believed von Wren knew more to the relationship than I had let on. He would eventually have to be formally notified; yet I decided to let him know at another time. An awkward moment followed for a handful of seconds before von Wren politely guided us through the halls and to the entrance of his office; a bit of way from Fromm’s. From the open door of Wren’s office the view inside was nothing of spectacular magnificence, only one portrait hung from the wall, and it was an unusual photo of the Führer before he came into power. I had seen it once before; countless years prior to our meeting; but never afterwards till then. Below the photo I noticed his desk, stacked full of papers and folders; of what material I could only imagine.

“Corporal,” he said rather bluntly. “The Colonel and I have some business to attend to, there is a desk and chair right there,” he said pointing to the desk that I didn’t notice as we were lead to my adjutant’s office.

I nodded to Rhiley, who had the expression on his face that he didn’t appreciate being ordered to in that tone. It would be something that I would have to adjust with my appointed colleague. I watched intently as I saw Rhiley at first stand still for another second before he backed away and moved towards the desk. He began the motion of lowering himself onto the chair as I was lead deeper into the relatively unknown room. Less than ten steps into the office I heard the door close. I gulped. I felt goose bumps on my arms, hidden luckily by the uniform. I had been lead into offices before, and had the door closed before me. It was a feeling that I never quite became comfortable with. Generally negative things are about to happen when one is lead into another person’s office and the door closes with a magnified thunder.

I don't like that feeling either and I'm not Reichsführer :p

As Sgt Schultz used to say on Hogans Heroes.......'Very interesting.' Glad that your back TekcoR.......I thought you had given up on this excellent AAR. Looking forward to more

As Sgt Schultz used to say on Hogans Heroes.......'Very interesting.' Glad that your back TekcoR.......I thought you had given up on this excellent AAR. Looking forward to more

Not necessarily given up. Just...fighting real life pressures, an urge to read more than to write and writers bloc.

Understandable, hope all is well and welcome back,

short but sweet. I love a narrator who doesn't need much more than one single paragraph to fully set a scene.

short but sweet. I love a narrator who doesn't need much more than one single paragraph to fully set a scene.

That's the fun part about Tristan Schnack I think. Sometimes he goes into longer descriptions of the scene, sometimes he's short and sweet.

Alptraum (Nightmare)
An Alternative History Affair
By TekcoR

Flashback

Chapter 4
For Your Information

“Sit down, Colonel,” my adjutant said seconds after leading me into the room, he stood behind his desk; which unnerved me further. I looked at him; my movements were blatant and calculated. The eloquent dance of our eye contact carried on for an enduring seven seconds before he sat down and readjusted his green eyes to look straight into mine. “Colonel,” he repeated, “There is no easy way to say this.” He let out a long sigh that revealed he spoke the truth.

He unfolded his arms in a deliberately slow movement and placed his palms down on his desk, shoulders width apart from each other. “I am involved in a group of individuals who seek to procure victory in an alternative method.” He stopped; I had a hunch that there was more to my new aide’s involvement than he initially let alone. It was fairly obvious. The air of the room was filled with the scent of nervousness. I felt slightly more in control of the situation, though still bitterly uncomfortable for I didn’t see a clear resolution.

He read my face and continued on. “I have been involved in this conversation since before the betrayal by the Soviet Union. The groups’ determination to achieve victory has been accelerated by recent events. There are members within the group that seek to carry out our discussions before they have been fully vetted out. It is quite a predicament. I find myself in a terrible situation.” He almost started crying, his palms off the desk, and half way between his face and their previous position.

I maintained my eye contact with von Wren, but did not speak. I pondered the implications, the meaning of the massive revelation that would be a valuable asset to me. I could turn in my new assistant, and be handsomely rewarded by the regime. Yet deep down, there were unresolved issues. It was no secret; I had heard countless plots and rumored attempts to remove the Führer one way or another. The fate of these people was pre-determined it seemed, within a matter of days generally, the Gestapo announced that several dissident military personnel, civilians, foreign fugitives or a combination of both or all three were arrested and never heard from again.

My mind, my years of service under the Führer instantly came to mind. I had now sworn abided and lived by the oath to him for close to seven years. The terms of service under the Führer was heavily outweighed by my oath to the former Weimar Republic; which I had seen abolished and replaced by the very man my assistant sought to do away with. I had seen a monumental head of state figure removed before when I was still a teenager fighting in the first war. I recalled the disheartening moment when I had heard about the forced abdication of Kaiser Wilhelm II.

I knew that like me, thousands of soldiers felt betrayed by the loss of the Kaiser, it was another injury to the insult that the war was being lost. I had grown up respecting the authority, the pomp and circumstance that the monarchy brought to the united Germany. Though my time under the direct service of the Kaiser’s military venture was short, mere months, I often reflected on those days when my youthful ambition got the best of me.

Though I knew the risk of removing a leader during a time of war and the consequences, I did not pursue the thought of arresting my assistant. Deep down, the feelings that I had suppressed often and with great difficulty at times were emerging with renewed vigor. I attempted to the best of my efforts to hide my feelings from my adjutant, but that was impossible. I looked him straight into the eyes.

“I am in.”

I totally appreciate the care and effort you're putting into this, TekcoR, but I will need to confess to you that I'm going to need to lobotomize myself to exorcise the image of Tom Cruise in Valkyrie from my mind while I read this. I have a history of issues with Tom Cruise. It's a terribly superficial thing to say, but there it is.

But I really do enjoy the bite sized morsels you give us. It's hard to always find time to plow through long updates, and yours offer the opportunity to read conveniently. Your last update, for example, I read while in the waiting room at my dentist's office, and while reading I'm sucked into your deliberate world. I'm glad you seem to be finding your writer's legs again...hope you can turn out more for us.

I totally appreciate the care and effort you're putting into this, TekcoR, but I will need to confess to you that I'm going to need to lobotomize myself to exorcise the image of Tom Cruise in Valkyrie from my mind while I read this. I have a history of issues with Tom Cruise. It's a terribly superficial thing to say, but there it is.

But I really do enjoy the bite sized morsels you give us. It's hard to always find time to plow through long updates, and yours offer the opportunity to read conveniently. Your last update, for example, I read while in the waiting room at my dentist's office, and while reading I'm sucked into your deliberate world. I'm glad you seem to be finding your writer's legs again...hope you can turn out more for us.

I agree with the Tom Cruise in Valkyrie...yuck. I try to avoid it when writing; however sometimes as with the previous update there was some feel of it. Yet I think Tristan explained it better why he's taking the leap so to speak about joining this - for all he really knows at this time in 1942 - "discussion group".

I like when I can read short sweet little updates or books. I tend to aim for about 700-1,000 words per "installment". Past two have been below that, about 550 and 640 respectively. I am finding my "legs" again so to speak. When reading "legs" it reminded me, today was my one day anniversary of being hit by a car when cycling...

Another nice addition. I can't help but feel the terror the plotters must have felt in Germany when all the plots against Hitler were being hatched. Would the one revealing the plot and asking for coconspirators be turned in? Would the officer being asked to join actually be set up in a trap being sprung by the Gestapo? With all the paranoia going on in Germany at the time it's amazing Valkyrie got as far as it did.

Keep the updates coming!

Another nice addition. I can't help but feel the terror the plotters must have felt in Germany when all the plots against Hitler were being hatched. Would the one revealing the plot and asking for coconspirators be turned in? Would the officer being asked to join actually be set up in a trap being sprung by the Gestapo? With all the paranoia going on in Germany at the time it's amazing Valkyrie got as far as it did.

Keep the updates coming!

You bring up the amazing point. Valkyrie got as far as it did through I think a series of sheer determination and luck at times.

Just a brief update.

Been dealing with real life issues (unable to sleep well); which leads to a host of other issues.

I think the main reason for extending the war with Germany and preventing anti-Hitler plots was "unconditional surrender" condition. It pushed people straight back to Hitler's regime propaganda where they were told that now they fight not only for victory but for their very survival. Including their families and loved ones. I mean, who wouldn't fight in such situation? In such light killing Hitler would accomplish nothing and he could still produce a miracle, right? I think the war could end sooner if the citizens were convinced that getting rid of Hitler and supporters - who were the ones who have started the war - was a necessary act to start the peace talks.

Best wishes for returning to normalcy.......and better sleep patterns. This really is a great AAR and I'm sure I'm the only one who is hoping it continues.

Best wishes for returning to normalcy.......and better sleep patterns. This really is a great AAR and I'm sure I'm the only one who is hoping it continues.

I sincerely hope you forgot to put the word "no" in that sentence :rofl: