• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xain

Major
87 Badges
Nov 22, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
I was wandering if it will be possible to destroy or abandon a holding (city, church or castle).

I have some example when this could be justified :

- as an event choice, following a major revolt ("burn the city to ashes!") or maybe a victory in a fierce war.
- if we reached the demesne limit, and we don't want or can't make new vassals or empower those we already have.
- if we want to change the type of settlement

It's been confirmed that Baronies can be destroyed by military action. Which means your "burn the city to ashes" button (or an equivalent) may be present.

I doubt there will be a way for an over-desmene-limit person to destroy them. As Baron of wherever you have certain obligations to your subjects, which means you don't get to burn down their house and build a Monastery just because it would be convenient for you.

Nick

Are you able to actually change the settlement type? Might be remembering it wrong, but didn't think that was possible?

Well I don't think you can change them but if they get razed totally you might be able to build another settlement on the old one that is not necessarily the same one as original one that got razed.

Well I don't think you can change them but if they get razed totally you might be able to build another settlement on the old one that is not necessarily the same one as original one that got razed.

That'd be a nice feature, and I'd guess that would be the case too. Maybe they could make it cheaper/easier to rebuild the settlement that had been there than building a new kind. In theory razing the settlement wouldn't destroy and kill 100% of the people and assets, so it would make sense to make it easier to return to the previous status quo.

Pretty historically accurate, though, I'd think. Hardly anything that's represented by a holding in-game would have been completely destroyed by military action, except for possibly a pagan religious holding.

More to do with gameplay balance and the difficulties of having a plausible AI imo. As for historical plausibility - cities can be burned, bishoprics can be plundered and looted, castles can in some cases be broken down to use for building materials or just demolished to demilitarise and centralise a formerly autonomous region. These would be rare occurrences and damaged buildings could be rebuilt or the city relocated, if there was a demand to do so, but sometimes areas were left to decay.

The problem is, in my view, that a "plausible randomness" would be very hard to determine. Could London have been completely abandoned for another English city? Probably not unless under improbably extreme conditions. With the much less populated outer regions of the map, it's a very different story. And then again, should it only happen by military force, by random events with a certain MTTH (50, 100, 150 years?), or by player action in the interface having met certain conditions? All of those leave a lot to be desired and would end up making the natural story and flow of the game to be arbitrarily broken, especially if the AI is affected. There is also the problem that characters having only one barony-level title could suddenly have no title at all, from one day to the next.

As you hint at, holdings would represent more than a single entity in one county as there is a limit of 6 plus the capital. Still, disasters (which ingame would result in the removal of a holding) affecting this scale of land was not unknown of. To mention: War, revolts, famine and climate change, diseases, and emigration (where possible) could radically change the demographic structure of a region.

Well he did say "potentially," which could either mean you could potentially do it or razing could potentially be implemented. It appears it was the latter, and a decision was made over the year since that diary was posted.

Pretty historically accurate, though, I'd think. Hardly anything that's represented by a holding in-game would have been completely destroyed by military action, except for possibly a pagan religious holding.
Well about 10 years earlier than game start Hedeby was burned to the ground and never rebuilt. It was a major city in Denmark.