+ Reply to Thread

Thread: destroying/abandoning holdings

Crusader Kings IIDeus Vult

destroying/abandoning holdings

I was wandering if it will be possible to destroy or abandon a holding (city, church or castle).

I have some example when this could be justified :

- as an event choice, following a major revolt ("burn the city to ashes!") or maybe a victory in a fierce war.
    - if we reached the demesne limit, and we don't want or can't make new vassals or empower those we already have.
    - if we want to change the type of settlement

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

It's been confirmed that Baronies can be destroyed by military action. Which means your "burn the city to ashes" button (or an equivalent) may be present.

I doubt there will be a way for an over-desmene-limit person to destroy them. As Baron of wherever you have certain obligations to your subjects, which means you don't get to burn down their house and build a Monastery just because it would be convenient for you.

Nick

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Are you able to actually change the settlement type? Might be remembering it wrong, but didn't think that was possible?
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II Collection
    Penumbra - Black PlaguePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by A_Dane View Post
    Are you able to actually change the settlement type? Might be remembering it wrong, but didn't think that was possible?
    Well I don't think you can change them but if they get razed totally you might be able to build another settlement on the old one that is not necessarily the same one as original one that got razed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezqu View Post
    Well I don't think you can change them but if they get razed totally you might be able to build another settlement on the old one that is not necessarily the same one as original one that got razed.

thanks for the guess

Quote Originally Posted by Wezqu View Post
    That'd be a nice feature, and I'd guess that would be the case too. Maybe they could make it cheaper/easier to rebuild the settlement that had been there than building a new kind. In theory razing the settlement wouldn't destroy and kill 100% of the people and assets, so it would make sense to make it easier to return to the previous status quo.

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Nick B II View Post
    It's been confirmed that Baronies can be destroyed by military action.
    No, it has not.
    Relentless madman.

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post
    No, it has not.
    Well... can they?
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

No.
    Relentless madman.

Crusader Kings IIDeus Vult

No.

Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

No.
    How unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by zonkie View Post
    How unfortunate.
    Pretty historically accurate, though, I'd think. Hardly anything that's represented by a holding in-game would have been completely destroyed by military action, except for possibly a pagan religious holding.

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

the number of settlements can change; players can build new ones and potentially existing ones can be razed (except for the county capital).

The type cannot change however.

dd2 comments

Anti-Emperor
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by tajerio View Post
    Pretty historically accurate, though, I'd think. Hardly anything that's represented by a holding in-game would have been completely destroyed by military action, except for possibly a pagan religious holding.
    More to do with gameplay balance and the difficulties of having a plausible AI imo. As for historical plausibility - cities can be burned, bishoprics can be plundered and looted, castles can in some cases be broken down to use for building materials or just demolished to demilitarise and centralise a formerly autonomous region. These would be rare occurrences and damaged buildings could be rebuilt or the city relocated, if there was a demand to do so, but sometimes areas were left to decay.

The problem is, in my view, that a "plausible randomness" would be very hard to determine. Could London have been completely abandoned for another English city? Probably not unless under improbably extreme conditions. With the much less populated outer regions of the map, it's a very different story. And then again, should it only happen by military force, by random events with a certain MTTH (50, 100, 150 years?), or by player action in the interface having met certain conditions? All of those leave a lot to be desired and would end up making the natural story and flow of the game to be arbitrarily broken, especially if the AI is affected. There is also the problem that characters having only one barony-level title could suddenly have no title at all, from one day to the next.

As you hint at, holdings would represent more than a single entity in one county as there is a limit of 6 plus the capital. Still, disasters (which ingame would result in the removal of a holding) affecting this scale of land was not unknown of. To mention: War, revolts, famine and climate change, diseases, and emigration (where possible) could radically change the demographic structure of a region.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Quote Originally Posted by Subcomandante View Post
    dd2 comments
    Which is a bit difficult to reconcile with the flat-out "No" of 9.

The razed comment is post 12 on this thread:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...nd-Settlements

Nick

Well he did say "potentially," which could either mean you could potentially do it or razing could potentially be implemented. It appears it was the latter, and a decision was made over the year since that diary was posted.

DD 2 is a year old, things change
    Relentless madman.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by tajerio View Post
    Well about 10 years earlier than game start Hedeby was burned to the ground and never rebuilt. It was a major city in Denmark.

+ Reply to Thread