• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Peaches peaches everywhere, but not a peach to ...

:D

Sometimes I guess one just has to accept timing is terrible and accept the consequences :D

Poor Wanli is not gifted with the most helpful of demonic godparents. I have to agree with morningSIDEr, Harry seems by far the most competent of the two - and that's saying something, given the long shadow of his track record in Rurikovich Russia. :)

Thankfully for the Ming, the country seems to trundle along, pretty much regardless of any direction (or misdirection) provided by its leadership.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the only reason Harry is publishing these is to make himself look good; "Yes I know my last plan didn't work out well Astarte, but things could be so much worse - look at the Queen Mother."

I'm coming to the conclusion that the only reason Harry is publishing these is to make himself look good; "Yes I know my last plan didn't work out well Astarte, but things could be so much worse - look at the Queen Mother."

LOL hmm. I think the Queen Mother just needs a man to henpeck in her life, then China will do fine.

LOL hmm. I think the Queen Mother just needs a man to henpeck in her life, then China will do fine.

I doubt any husband could out-henpeck HER.

Always got to protect the peaches! What would China be without them and the acquatic peacocks?

Probably a lot better off? Next post may go some way to explaining why the Chinese sensibly located her very much on the western edge of civilisation

Ugh. China is so hard to play in DW 5.1. I don't have the patience to give it a serious go, but you're doing a good job so far.

its not too bad. You are cushioned (most of the time) by easy money, its just that the natural quiet periods in any EU3 game (unless you go on a blood stained killing spree across all your potential neighbours) are a bit longer than otherwise - its not just a case of burning off infamy every now and then, its more a case of waiting for opportunities. Now, as with the next post, what is a real problem is a Ming Regency Council.

Bravo! This line had me in stitches.

I have a few had the temptation to turn some of these updates into a sort of "Carry on up the Ming", mostly I've managed to keep it in check

Good to see the Queen Mother continuing to sow discord wherever she goes, leaving things in a peacock feathers and peach stone covered mess. I've especially liked her attempts to cross-breed the peaches, they seem to be turning into cracking pirates as a result. I do now fear for the poor young Emperor, both Harry and the Queen Mother rushing to give him aid. I get the feeling this could all turn...uhm...peach shaped. Although strangely enough, I do think Harry would be the better person (or demon in this case), to help out the poor boy. Which does rather say a lot about the Queen Mother.

Actually this rather wierd role where Harry is the embodiment of wise rule and common sense (at least in comparison) continues for the next post at least.

Peaches peaches everywhere, but not a peach to ...

:D

Sometimes I guess one just has to accept timing is terrible and accept the consequences :D

In the next update the timing is truely terrible, I have the Temple boys in power during a Regency Council, it doesn't get much worse (well it could and might, but thats a pretty low starting point)

Poor Wanli is not gifted with the most helpful of demonic godparents. I have to agree with morningSIDEr, Harry seems by far the most competent of the two - and that's saying something, given the long shadow of his track record in Rurikovich Russia. :)

Thankfully for the Ming, the country seems to trundle along, pretty much regardless of any direction (or misdirection) provided by its leadership.

Thats what I quite like about the gameplay. I'm really not that good at EU ... I read other AARs with hugely clever manouvers to bring down superior enemies and I get all weak and girly at the prospect of a 1:1 fight. Despite this, China seems to have a way of enduring (& she has to endure an awful lot)

But the flaw in that analysis, is that Astarte already thinks he's rubbish at the demonic stuff, all this would do is to give her additional ideas ..

She has China to peacock-peck ... why should she limit herself?

I doubt any husband could out-henpeck HER.

Indeed, she's the Dowager-Empress to end all other Dowager-Empresses

1434-1438, Wanli's eventful childhood

10 September 1434

This is ridiculous, I mean we were only talking ... and playing pass the parcel

(H – hah, stopped that before it got anywhere ... but we never found a parcel?)

24 October 1434

Now who is a girl to choose, don't like those boring bureaucrats, they never invite me to any weddings, don't like those boring Eunuchs, their parties are just no fun for a girl with an active imagination. Now the Temple people sound like my sort.

(H – over my dead body)
(A - don't tempt me)

3 August 1435

My peacocks are more intellectual than him ... who'se putting them up to this sort of nonsense

(H - surprise)

16 December 1435

Yes, yes, oh yes ... must dispatch some more peaches to keep up their spirits

(H – its not their spirits I'm worried about)

16 March 1436

One moment they are praising themselves for being sooo intellectual and now they believe in this nonsense

(H – it all depends on how you explain it)

21 May 1436

Wee ha, whosh, splash ... hah that was fun

(H – she really is in a bad mood when she doesn't get her way)

14 September 1436

The bureaucrats have tried to ban peacock surfing from my favourite beach ... they will regret this

2 November 1436

Hah, I'm not forbidden any more. My best friends are in charge and all is well.

(H – and I thought I was meant to be the Lord of Misrule?)

17 August 1437

Off we go ... ok off we go again in the wrong way but soon we'll be heading West

15 April 1438

Oh gross, no way, I mean it would spoil my peacock's talons .... oh gross, now I have to deal with the Eunuchs .. oh damn

(H – yep, still kept the old magic, that should drive her out of town quick enough)

10 June 1438

Hah, I knew it was too early to give up. There was a strange smell around the Palace and all those Eunuchs just looked too happy

(H – whoops, maybe I wasn't as subtle as I can be)
(A - just when were you subtle?)

14 September 1438

Yet another triumph for my Government,

Wanli will be so pleased when he grows up that his Auntie took charge at such a critical time

(H – if Astarte ever hears about this, I really am out on my ear, time to raise my game)
(A - I am dearest, just a bit busy at the moment)

7 October 1438

Yep, more evidence that my rule is touched by genius ... I do wonder if Wanli will keep me on when he grows up

(H – ok, this is downright annoying)

27 December 1438

Am awaiting the news of the glorious victory that will mean my Palace is again part of China

(H – well you got that one wrong)

Very good stuff, the Queen Mother seems to be actually doing a decent job of looking after the empire, bumbling her way through things quite well. Although I do think this is in no small part due to Harry at least slightly keeping her in check. The infighting between the various is really very enjoyable, it must prove near impossible trying to keep a favoured faction in place for any length of time.

(A - I am dearest, just a bit busy at the moment)

Busy with what I wonder? I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing!

Well the Queen Mother does appear to be having a whale of a time.

I wonder how long before she tries to breed giant acquatic peacocks?

Quite bad luck getting Temple in power for long stretches during a regency.

Still, it's neat to follow. The Ming system is almost like a game within the game.

I loved this update especially. The absurdity and madness of the Queen mother is so amusing! A lesson for anyone who becomes immortal too....

Very good stuff, the Queen Mother seems to be actually doing a decent job of looking after the empire, bumbling her way through things quite well. Although I do think this is in no small part due to Harry at least slightly keeping her in check. The infighting between the various is really very enjoyable, it must prove near impossible trying to keep a favoured faction in place for any length of time.

You have to admit that with someone so bonkers she needs Harry to provide words of wisdom and to stabilise things is someone you may not want running your country?

Busy with what I wonder? I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing!

There's a hint in the next post, she's not that far away

Well the Queen Mother does appear to be having a whale of a time.

She is indeed enjoying herself ... & continues to do so ... whether China is enjoying the experience is a different question

Quite bad luck getting Temple in power for long stretches during a regency.

Still, it's neat to follow. The Ming system is almost like a game within the game.

It was so frustrating, esp as the Regency 'Council' had awesome military stats ... in any other circumstances I could have rampaged across SE Asia almost at will. In a way its a pity you can't use the old trick of shifting to a Nobel Republic at govt #10, this way you are very dependent on the ruler stats as, even well aligned, the slider effect is less important. Also if a faction dips to a very low score, even a favourable ruler will struggle to get them back in power. Its sort of frustrating, but its quite unlike any other game I've ever played of EU, so its fun in that respect.

I think I need to be more ruthless at exploiting my small advantages as opposed to thinking I'm playing a normal power (so if a war is going a bit wrong, still stick with it etc).

I loved this update especially. The absurdity and madness of the Queen mother is so amusing! A lesson for anyone who becomes immortal too....

I suppose that after a while, you have to find something to keep yourself amused. If you are barking mad to start with, then its quite likely your amusement will be of less help to those around you?

Last edited:
1439-1444: Wanli grows up surprisingly quickly

12 September 1439

Decide that the palace needs brightening up

3 December 1439

ungrateful wretches

(H – ach, I was just playing around)

16 September 1440

more ingrates, don't they appreciate my wise guidance in these difficult times

(H – well if you asked me)

I didn't

(H – then no, not really)

16 January 1441

That'll go nicely in the extension

24 February 1441

One of the good things about being in charge is one can dictate national strategy ... you can't do that on a dusty roof in the middle of Central Asia

(H – it really hasn't occured to you that this is precisely why you are expected to stay in a palace in the middle of Central Asia?)

11 September 1441

Went to a palace party ... did you know that Eunuchs are not as bad as everyone says

(H – must have been one hell of a party)

16 February 1442

I do like the feeling of sand in my toes

14 August 1442

Another fun night out with my new friends

16 August 1442

Pay-back time from my new best friends, soon my Palace will be part of China again and then I can help out on a more regular basis

(H – is it just me who can see the flaw in that scheme?)

17 September 1442

Not now, I'm busy running the country and building an extension to my Palace

4 December 1442

I am outraged ... I expected Wanli to invite me back to thank me for all my help

(H – Thats my boy ... an impressive quick production of an heir, he'll go far)

8 February 1444

Ah, feel better for that, I do find that acts of random violence help calm my nerves

4 March 1444

Wanli sends me a gift, it is a nice soothing picture

(H – Thats my boy ... an impressive quick production of an heir, he'll go far)

Yes, very impressively quick, Astarte at work already I wonder?

The Queen Mother may have left the country in disarray following her term as regent but it has to be said she certainly brightened the palace up. Lots of new paintings and the like! It is then just a pity that she seems intent on stealing back these paintings with her constant piracy! Anyway Wanli is now on the throne and he doesn't look too bad at all.

Hmm, Harry commits a random act of violence and is scolded by the Queen Mother, then she turns around and commits a random act of violence of his own. Quite a dynamic duo. :p

Yes, very impressively quick, Astarte at work already I wonder?

The Queen Mother may have left the country in disarray following her term as regent but it has to be said she certainly brightened the palace up. Lots of new paintings and the like! It is then just a pity that she seems intent on stealing back these paintings with her constant piracy! Anyway Wanli is now on the throne and he doesn't look too bad at all.

Wanli proves to be quite the little mover ... his stats mean I can shift relatively easily between the Temple and Bureaucrat factions and thus exploit any CBs that come along but not cripple the economy.

Hmm, Harry commits a random act of violence and is scolded by the Queen Mother, then she turns around and commits a random act of violence of his own. Quite a dynamic duo. :p

Ah, but at least at the moment ... not that it actually lasts ... Harry's senseless acts of violence at least give the illusion of being part of a plan, the next little phase was as near to Ming allowing relatively conventional gameplay (exploiting CBs, putting up buildings etc)

1444-1448, Wanli does it his way (quite often)

12 April 1444

Wanli trusts me, I am to conduct a state visit to the Imperial farms

18 April 1444

I am very very displeased with Wanli. While I am off inspecting scrofulous peasants he's off at three weddings ... the boy is quite out of control

4 August 1444

No I am not amused ... and why should I be impressed by a still life of a peach? Does he think I am Dutch?

11 September 1444

Well he should listen to Auntie

(H – no, listening to Auntie is never a good idea)

12 September 1444

Boats? Ships? Why? I mean my cross-breeding programme will produce the first waterproof peacock in the very near future

19 September 1444

Oh Wanli is just getting paranoid. We were just having a rooftip 'hide the peach' party & someone has to go an tell

(H – one does wonder where she was hiding the peaches ... does this diary have any illustrations)

29 November 1444

Is the boy insatiable? I can't think where he gets it from.

(H - oh I can)

10 February 1446

Oh, my favourites are back, I must go and visit

12 March 1446

South, why do these people always want to go south ... everyone know West is the only way to go

21 September 1446

Here we are busy in a real war and this sort of nonsense comes up ... I mean all we were doing was selling crossbred peacocks

(H – I think the concern was just what you had bred the peacocks with?)

6 July 1447

More news from Nanking, I worry for Wanli, he really is not the decisive succesful ruler I brought him up to be

2 December 1447

Oh

(H – oh indeed, now stick to cross-fertilising peacocks with peaches and leave the statecraft to me)

20 January 1448

Oh ... ah well that doesn't count, wrong direction

(H – oh you are feeling a bit put out aren't you?)

Anyway, now everyone will have it in for him ... at least I do

I can't get out of my mind the tidbit that "peach" is a euphemism for vagina.

Excellent stuff.

Wanli trusts me, I am to conduct a state visit to the Imperial farms

I foresee the planting of many peaches. This no bad thing as I don't doubt they will be very much in demand for cross-breeding purposes.

Wanli certainly seems to have a very healthy, uhm, 'appetite', I see now how he produced an heir so quickly (and I still think Astarte had a hand in this!). Good stuff from him nonetheless, especially with his allowing Harry a greater role in things rather than the Queen Mother. As Harry showed with Venezuela he makes a surprisingly competent ruler, or aide to government at least. Well, ignoring all of the business with the Rurikovich anyway!

Nice take of Mongol provinces. The faction juggling does allow for some good opportunities... How long is taking you to recover a stability point? You seem to be getting quite a few -1 stab events.

Boats? Ships? Why? I mean my cross-breeding programme will produce the first waterproof peacock in the very near future.

Wait till she unleashes the fearsome, mighty peacockraken – the perfect weapon to invade Japan?