• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Haven't posted here in a while, but I have been following :)

I'm curious to see what would happen if you do go over the infamy limit; is there anybody who can legitimately challenge you in Asia?

Haven't posted here in a while, but I have been following :)

I'm curious to see what would happen if you do go over the infamy limit; is there anybody who can legitimately challenge you in Asia?

I did it by mistake when I was playing. I absorbed the Manchus and that chucked me out of the Celestial Empire and in turn put me over the infamy limit (none of this was I expecting or playing for). The result was every 2-3 months a 15 stack of rebels in China itself. Since I hadn't expected it, I went back to my earlier save point and redid a bit more carefully (& modded the event so I stayed 'Ming' not changed to Manchu). But it made me very glad I'd managed the infamy situation with care up to that point. I think I could handle any of my neighbours but a war say with GB and Bohemia would be fatal (esp if I was facing massive rebellions) as GB are the only power that could now beat me at sea and Bohemia, as Emperor, can more than match my army numbers.

I do have a few more wars with India coming up and I'm so far ahead in tech that they are ridiculously easy to win.

Queen Mother said:
Well I didn't expect him to rebuild it ... but did he have to tear it down? He is quite the worst Emperor in the last ... last ... last 2 years

My, she's getting touchy (not to mention impatient) in her old age! Frankly, I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did, especially considering how she remarked, when discussing her preference for brainiac wimp Tianqi: "And why should I [wait]?"

Good progress and those forts in Central Asia seem like a sound policy.

Nice map of North America. I spy the USA in New England. As well as bits and pieces of British North America, a vibrant Cherokee Nation, of course the Milanese holdings in the Deep South (banjo renditions of Oh sole mio, anyone?)... Oh yeah, and the delightful irony that the country of Mexico is in the United States proper, while what's really Mexico here is Ming. :)

Solid gains there, good thing you were able to make use of the mostly inferior Temple faction.

Speaking of factions, as long as Tianqi lives to take the throne you have a pretty nice sequence going in that regard.

My, she's getting touchy (not to mention impatient) in her old age! Frankly, I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did, especially considering how she remarked, when discussing her preference for brainiac wimp Tianqi: "And why should I [wait]?"

Good progress and those forts in Central Asia seem like a sound policy.

Nice map of North America. I spy the USA in New England. As well as bits and pieces of British North America, a vibrant Cherokee Nation, of course the Milanese holdings in the Deep South (banjo renditions of Oh sole mio, anyone?)... Oh yeah, and the delightful irony that the country of Mexico is in the United States proper, while what's really Mexico here is Ming. :)

It always seems that unless the player is really controlling colonisation, N America ends up a total mess by late game with all sorts of wierd bits having rebelled and so on

Well she is in one of her optimistic and self-pleased moods in the next update, so its not going to end well

Solid gains there, good thing you were able to make use of the mostly inferior Temple faction.

Speaking of factions, as long as Tianqi lives to take the throne you have a pretty nice sequence going in that regard.

Aye, from now to the end I really want the Bureaucrats in power. My alliance with Sweden proves mostly incredibly useful as they drag me into all sorts of wars that I am keen to join in, plus a few more French inspired suicides ... oh and a war with GB ... eek :(

1769-1773, the Queen Mother's self confidence is bashed

20 August 1769

I am just so brilliant, now that Harold is not around, I am just so obviously so brilliant

18 September 1770

I am just so brilliant, I can even bring culture to Australia

6 November 1770

I am so brilliant, everyone starts raving when they see my new masterpiece – Peacock with Peach Stone, Perched on a large Cannon

23 October 1771

I maybe brilliant but even I will not accept being serviced by a Eunuch

13 January 1772

This is the sort of small annoying thing that Harry used to be very useful for

1 January 1773

I maybe brilliant but even I find the Swedes very demanding ... and declaring war on News Year day when everyone is hungover is just such bad form

23 July 1773

I am so brilliant, all I had to do was to threaten them with a tea-leaf (carefully placed on top of a pile of gunpowder & inserted into a cannon)

4 August 1773

Oh ok, so it was a noisy party, not need to complain so much ... and such language

19 August 1773

Oh, some people are just too sensitive. Yes it was a party, yes it was noisy, get over it

23 October 1773

Yes, ... I mean look, just leave me alone

2 November 1773

Yes, well I know that everyone has it in for me these days

7 November 1773

Harry ....................................... HELP

[H – sigh ... you summoned me?]

[A – drat, he's escaped again]

So in the end, Britain basically declared war on the Far East (oh, and Sweden. And Algiers)? Here's hoping that they get so confused by the abundance of targets, that they won't concentrate on Ming.

Queen Mother said:
I am just so brilliant, I can even bring culture to Australia
To be fair, that is pretty amazing (this message is brought to you courtesy of Offensive Stereotypingtm) ;) I still get a kick out of it that you have a 'Gubbi Gubbi University'. It sounds like something out of Teletubby Land. :p

Or out of that Terry Pratchett book. :p

Great update, though the QM seems a bit over her head!

So in the end, Britain basically declared war on the Far East (oh, and Sweden. And Algiers)? Here's hoping that they get so confused by the abundance of targets, that they won't concentrate on Ming.

To be fair, that is pretty amazing (this message is brought to you courtesy of Offensive Stereotypingtm) ;) I still get a kick out of it that you have a 'Gubbi Gubbi University'. It sounds like something out of Teletubby Land. :p

GB is also not the war leader and in no state to conduct a war (-3 stab, +9 w/e) even before things get started. & yes, one shouldn't do stereotypes, except of course purely in the interest of plot development

Or out of that Terry Pratchett book. :p

Great update, though the QM seems a bit over her head!

or off it, as maybe clearer in the next post

Is that what it's from? Forgot the name (The Forgotten Continent, perhaps?), anyway, the Fourecks one? If so, color me ignorant and shameful, if not, it certainly would fit.

While I have to confess to rampant plagiarism in most of my AARs, I've actually never read anything by Pratchett. Not sure why as the books seem very jolly and funny in a rather sly way. I think its a problem with a long series, don't want to go back to the beginning but rather suspect you'd miss most of the references if you started with the later books.

1773-1779, the Queen Mother has a few mood swings (& a flying battery)

7 November 1773

that will serve them right for disturbing my celebration party, I'll make them suffer, oh yes, they will suffer

14 November 1773

Oh, the peakraken really is on form

19 November 1773

[H – you do know there really is an easy way out this war?]

No, no, no, onwards to London, my peacocks, lets us go, let us burn it down ... kill them all

30 December 1773

London, next, we must take London

[H – and, look sorry about the few sunk ships ... you know how it is, anyway we won't charge you for the damaged paint work on our ships so its pretty much even really]

15 January 1774

Oh good, another war

[H – you've changed since I've been away]

3 February 1774

kill kill kill

7 March 1774

[H – look if you don't calm down the kid gets it]

k...... oh, I'm off to peel a peach then

7 September 1775

Flying chickens, Flying peacocks and now flying guns ... all I need is a victim for my next assault and battery

[H – she has parted all links to reality]

15 October 1775

Oh Tianqi is my sort

[H – what do you mean 'your sort', you've been acting like a total psycho for the last 2 years]

Only to protect my little darling lamb, he's so sweet, so cultured

NOT LIKE YOU

[H – hmmph, you demanded I came back, I was quite happy in Astarte's dungeons]
[A – yes and so was I]
[H - And your little innocent darling lamb has already entered the Imperial breeding programme]

thats not the same thing

21 June 1776

Ah a nice new vessel for my next cruise

[H – ok, you really have gone nuts ... (a) its in the middle of the desert; (b) its actually a vassal]

6 August 1776

I don't know why Tianqi has become so defensive when I visit him

21 August 1776

Maybe I was wrong for once

[H – once?]

Maybe my darling Tianqi is not so wonderful after all

4 September 1776

Ah ... China will be so cultural from now on

1 January 1779

Just why do the Swedes keep on declaring war on New Years Eve

They should be peacefully drunk like the rest of us

Yeah, the Last Continent is a very funny parody of Australia (being an Australian myself).

Either way, it seems as though Harry's help is needed!

While I have to confess to rampant plagiarism in most of my AARs, I've actually never read anything by Pratchett. Not sure why as the books seem very jolly and funny in a rather sly way. I think its a problem with a long series, don't want to go back to the beginning but rather suspect you'd miss most of the references if you started with the later books.

Start with Guards! Guards! and while you're a few books away from the beginning, there's nothing you won't pick up on quickly. Of course, I say this because I'm partial to the Watch books, but I do think it's justified as it's the first book where I feel Discworld really starts to develop and grow.

Anyhow, onwards with the Queen Mother's temporary bout of more-than-usual craziness. She did drive the sanity bus right off the cliff into the Grand-Canyon-sized abyss of nuttiness. Not really surprising, more a matter of degree, I guess. :) I was somewhat surprised by Harry's moderating influence: he's not usually one to have a cooler head than his competition.

Dodged a bullet there with Tianqi surviving to take the throne. He should really help with domestic affairs.

A shame that the war against GB came when you had such high infamy, that would have been a better than average to get rid of their Indian provinces (they still have them, right?).

Start with Guards! Guards! and while you're a few books away from the beginning, there's nothing you won't pick up on quickly.

That's not a bad idea at all. Then again, I also see no reason not to start from the very beginning of the series, especially since starting with Guards! Guards! would mean missing the start of the Death storyline.

I've read the first 15-20 books myself, then the local library didn't have the next book, I decided to wait for it since I didn't want to skip one, and I somehow never got back to them. Dunno why as I love them, I really should I suppose.

Yeah, the Last Continent is a very funny parody of Australia (being an Australian myself).

Either way, it seems as though Harry's help is needed!

I will, he always comes over in interviews as a fundamentally decent person, so next trip to the library I'll stock up on a few

As Stuyvesant says below, its always disturbing when Harry is the sanest character on display

Start with Guards! Guards! and while you're a few books away from the beginning, there's nothing you won't pick up on quickly. Of course, I say this because I'm partial to the Watch books, but I do think it's justified as it's the first book where I feel Discworld really starts to develop and grow.

Anyhow, onwards with the Queen Mother's temporary bout of more-than-usual craziness. She did drive the sanity bus right off the cliff into the Grand-Canyon-sized abyss of nuttiness. Not really surprising, more a matter of degree, I guess. :) I was somewhat surprised by Harry's moderating influence: he's not usually one to have a cooler head than his competition.

Well she stays there for most of the next update, just panics a few times

Dodged a bullet there with Tianqi surviving to take the throne. He should really help with domestic affairs.

A shame that the war against GB came when you had such high infamy, that would have been a better than average to get rid of their Indian provinces (they still have them, right?).

That's not a bad idea at all. Then again, I also see no reason not to start from the very beginning of the series, especially since starting with Guards! Guards! would mean missing the start of the Death storyline.

I've read the first 15-20 books myself, then the local library didn't have the next book, I decided to wait for it since I didn't want to skip one, and I somehow never got back to them. Dunno why as I love them, I really should I suppose.

Yes if I'd had infamy to spare, then the scope to really push the British out of India was there, or snag the odd bits and pieces around Indonesia and the Philippines they hold. But in the situation I'm in, all I'd do is to inflict losses on them ... and oddly I like a strong GB as it sometimes attacks France ... and France really seems to have a big rosbif with Ming, for some reason. Oddly sometimes they start a war and give up immediately, other times, they won't take the hint and surrender ....

1779-1783, in which everyone forgets that Tianqi really is in charge

13 February 1779

Kill kill, kill

9 June 1779

Kill kill, kill

[H – you are rather excitable these days]

9 September 1779

I was just enjoying that

[H – well too much pleasure is bad for you]

21 November 1779

Harry, help, there are hordes of them

[H – just give us the matches]

matches?

[H – yes, they only work in N America]

9 December 1779

Harry help

[H – don't panic, I've squared away the British]

9 April 1780

Help, I thought you were going to burn them all ... or something

[H – just chill ... its all under control ... pass us the tequila bottle]

19 June 1780

[H – see I told you, its easy when you know how]

Insufferable man, I so want to burn down London, Gott straff Engerland as they say

21 August 1780

Stability is so over-rated

[H – true, its not your usual choice]

20 October 1780

Harry ... help

[H – what is it now]

[A – yes we were just discussing Uganda (1)]

But YOU told me the French had no fleet

[H – yes .... oh]

7 November 1780

And YOU said we'd win easily

[H – sign, everyone is a critic]

22 May 1781

We are STILL losing

[H – oh, don't shout, I have a hangover]

14 May 1782

[H – told you so]

30 April 1783

[H – I really don't know why you were all worried]

Insufferable, I mean the peakraken was on the way ..

30 August 1783

What about me

Who are you

Tianqi, the Emperor

oh .... Harry help

(1) – a reference that will be meaningless to anyone who doesn't read the English satirical magazine Private Eye.

Well that seemed like a proper challenge for a change. Gotta love strategic depth!

Nice! That naval victory is a big blow to the French. Very nice use of scorched earth in Mexico, they got very badly depleted.

You did use the 'Uganda' gag before, so I'm still faintly familiar with it. :) Disturbing image, by the way, Harry and Astarte doing the <ahem> 'discussing'... :p

You crushed the French off Japan - but is that the same monster fleet that was showing up off North America (the one of 113 ships)?

What can I say? You fought a vastly superior enemy to a standstill and seem poised to eventually win. Or at least get a white peace out of it. Just as long as you can continue chewing up French fleets.

Well that seemed like a proper challenge for a change. Gotta love strategic depth!

aye, comes out of studying Prawnstar's various master classes, but I was impressed at how much damage that scorched earth did to their huge army

Nice! That naval victory is a big blow to the French. Very nice use of scorched earth in Mexico, they got very badly depleted.

I was surprised to win so big a battle, I actually finished off their big ships a few days later. I've never before really invested in naval NIs so was a bit surprised to find out how much they do improve your fleet in combat

You did use the 'Uganda' gag before, so I'm still faintly familiar with it. :) Disturbing image, by the way, Harry and Astarte doing the <ahem> 'discussing'... :p

You crushed the French off Japan - but is that the same monster fleet that was showing up off North America (the one of 113 ships)?

What can I say? You fought a vastly superior enemy to a standstill and seem poised to eventually win. Or at least get a white peace out of it. Just as long as you can continue chewing up French fleets.

ah, must stop recycling my lines or people will catch on

actually the French end up offering any peace way in advance of the war score - I'm not sure how much that might relate to having sunk their fleets. But yes, that fleet (& army) sent to the Americas would have won the war for them