• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When Astarte shows grudging respect (okay, grudging almost-respect) for Harry, it is a good day. Of course, it doesn't last long (it never does - and usually Harry provides plenty of cause).
Well Astarte has not exactly been a shining example so far has she? Harry may have a mixed record so far, and I'm probably being generous there, but at least he's making an effort.

Well Astarte has not exactly been a shining example so far has she? Harry may have a mixed record so far, and I'm probably being generous there, but at least he's making an effort.

She's not been on top form in this one ... I think the lack of plague and disease events in EU has rather cramped her style

I really, really hope that was a reference to the brilliant IT Crowd. Although I do rather think it a reference to Harry's business card.

Good to see Harry exacting some revenge on the QM after she had a hand in the destruction of his palace, enlisting the Bureaucrats a particularly nice touch. Noting the peace deal with Majapahit and the still empty Malacca it really becomes clear just how limiting the factions are. Hopefully you get some luck with them soon though.

I fear it was a reference to his business card. At the start till you get the sliders a bit balanced you are mostly really stuck with the Bureaucrats - I'll show this in the next post despite having a ruler with relatively balanced stats

You have a few more decades to consolidate any colonisation of islands before those European fleets make your naval life impossible – big ships or peakrakens, they'll have the upper hand...

which is why I'm favouring the Eunuchs when i can, I'd like a barrier set up in the Phillipines (in which case I case they should be called the Ming-ines?) and in Indonesia before large scale European arrival in the region

When Astarte shows grudging respect (okay, grudging almost-respect) for Harry, it is a good day. Of course, it doesn't last long (it never does - and usually Harry provides plenty of cause).

Oh, and thanks for that last bit. I look forward to future implementation of said breeding experiment. :)

Youyi dies of an ill-designed peach skin removing instrument ... but someone will die of the internal exploding peach stone

Next update covers a fairly long period. Very little happened exccept lots of buildings. Playing Ming is sometimes a bit like being in a PU or with such high infamy you can't actually do much ...

1501-1515, in which there is a lot of offense caused to the neighbours

14 July 1501

oh, I am sooo scared now

13 February 1502

amazing what you find behind the sofas when you are cleaning up after a party

17 November 1502

If they must ... so tedious

[H – well you can't say you weren't warned]
[A – she hasn't been]
[H – so?]

3 March 1504

Happy dance time, at last I have planning permission for the beach house ... its all legal now

[H – the building may be legal ... what you do in it?]

6 March 1505

Ah yes, more happy dance music ... time for the next party, I just knew that reggae was the thing for those boring court events

[H – in a rub a dub stylie heh ... go girl]
[A – Harold you cannot dance ....]

30 July 1506

Am I not the perfect diplomat, all I had to do was to offer to go and dance on their court and they give in

[H – I can see that scaring anyone witless]

27 August 1506

Go me ... now Youyi is taking my advice see how well things are going

29 November 1506

I warned him, but Youyi never listens to me ... I wash my hands of the whole thing, I mean double ended spears never worked out for anyone

[H – odd, I seem to recall you trying to show him how to use one to eat a peach with?]

29 June 1509

Sigh, my work is never done. Had to explain to Youyi again, just where my palace is and why he should concentrate on freeing me

[H – lost the key again?]

27 November 1510

Sent Youyi the invoices for the party last new year. Now he is grumbling about having to pay.

No gratitude.

29 November 1514

Whow what a party, Ningxia really rocks. Pity the peasants did so much whinging ... its not as if the music was that loud

1 January 1515

I think that new years party maybe was a bit over the top. It seems to have set off the Mongols and all the neighbours are complaining.

Damn good fun though

[H – right I want my summer palace back this time]

19 February 1515

I warned him, double ended spears need a lot of care .... and now we have the village amoeba in charge

[H – I still want my palace ... now your beach hut has been declared legal ... I want my palace]

[A - yes yes, calm down, we heard you the first time]

Oh, come on; Jiajing I appears to be military-bent. Off with him into the dust of the battlefield. Let him prove himself, should he die, well, QM will - diplomatically - shed a tear, or two.

It must be really irritating, not being able to trade in you own, cored Malacca.

This must be the first emperor in a while who doesn't die of a peach-related cause... Not sure his heir will be so lucky.

...the Phillipines (in which case I case they should be called the Ming-ines?)

I don't think they'd be very popular in Scotland with that name...

Excellent stuff.

Oh, come on; Jiajing I appears to be military-bent. Off with him into the dust of the battlefield. Let him prove himself, should he die, well, QM will - diplomatically - shed a tear, or two.

I have to agree, Jiajing seems a veritable military colossus. Considering too how well the last leader with similar stats, Yongle, did on the battlefield, I wouldn't hesistate to give Jiajing command!

Excellent stuff.

I have to agree, Jiajing seems a veritable military colossus. Considering too how well the last leader with similar stats, Yongle, did on the battlefield, I wouldn't hesistate to give Jiajing command!

There is the slight complication that could occur were he to die, considering there is no legal heir...

Queen Mother finally seems to have settled on a modus operandi that, while being highly disruptive (not to say destructive), still ends up prodding Ming in a direction that's generally going forward. Given her general incompetence, this might be even more impressive than Harry's performance in turning Venezuela into a World Power.

Hah, loved how notable migration was apparently caused by one of QM's parties. :D

It must be really irritating, not being able to trade in you own, cored Malacca.

yep, I really want to get the Eunuchs back in power so i can extract some value from Malacca

as to Jiajing, he basically has 3 tasks - breed, hang aroung long enough to get the stability back to +1 or +2, get killed. As we'll see over the next 3 posts, he has problems in delivering to even that simple programme.

This must be the first emperor in a while who doesn't die of a peach-related cause... Not sure his heir will be so lucky.

I don't think they'd be very popular in Scotland with that name...

He's also the first one to die in a war for a while, I'm sure the QM had a suitably peachy end planned for him and he went and spoilt it.

I was tempted to a slightly different variant ... but decency held me back :eek:

Excellent stuff.

well as above he has a simple trilogy of requirements - breed, improve stability, die quickly

There is the slight complication that could occur were he to die, considering there is no legal heir...

Queen Mother finally seems to have settled on a modus operandi that, while being highly disruptive (not to say destructive), still ends up prodding Ming in a direction that's generally going forward. Given her general incompetence, this might be even more impressive than Harry's performance in turning Venezuela into a World Power.

I'm roughly up to about 1715 in game ... I think you will be surprised to find out just where her leadership (or more strictly the benefits of numerous emperors ignoring her) has taken China

great so far, are you planning on forming into manchu?

No, i want to see how limiting the faction system is over a complete game. In truth by mid-game, China is so rich that without constraint you'd just gobble up the entire world.

In this case I sort of want to play realistically. In effect why should China expand? The only good provinces are those in N India and the promise of spice etc from Indonesia. Plus some geopolitics around controlling the Pacific and dominance (but not control) over Central Asia.

Hah, loved how notable migration was apparently caused by one of QM's parties. :D

well i'd flee to a city if she turned up with her new Reggae sound system in the local rice patch

1515-1520, in which Jiajing causes several storms in small teacups

16 October 1515

I knew that Jiajing was dim but it seems he has provoked a government crisis about the size and location of his tea cups.

[H – yep, quite a storm it is too]

18 April 1516

Why ... I know that Jiajing is dim but that really is in the wrong direction

[Why ... I know that Jiajing is dim and that does not reclaim my lost palace]

1 June 1516

The boy really is clueless

[H - The boy really is clueless ... that is not my palace]

19 August 1516

I didn't think he was that organised, I have suggested that he now needs to lead the army in his country's hour of need. I've offered to look after little Hongzhi in case anything happens

[H – well that was harder work than usual. And he's accepted MY suggestion that he now joins the army]

17 November 1516

I think he is being deliberately stupid, I mean what is the use of this?

[H – I think he is being deliberatly difficult, this is still nowhere near my palace]

30 November 1516

I have had to do so much work recently, it is good to see some rewards ... and I think I deserve a party

[H – with an amoeba in charge, it sure is hard work keeping things on track]

5 April 1517

I do hope this is the end of these silly wars in the south. I have bought Jiajing a special compass to help him celebrate, it always points west

[H – happy dance time, I have my palace back, now I just need to spend some time cleaning it up]

6 April 1517

Well he is rather cute when he's happy, I let him play with his maps for a while

3 May 1517

Oh, am I not so brilliant, see what happens when they listen to me

[H – you daft bat, its me they are listening to]

11 November 1417

Jiajing has such poor advisers, he really should listen to me instead

[H – the problem is he does listen to you]

7 April 1519

I think I had better not confess that the peakraken has escaped again

[H – she's not been cross breeding again has she?]

20 June 1520

Notice the palace is getting a bit dusty, have to recruit some more servants

[H – notice the palace is getting a bit dusty, must collect some more servants]

8 October 1520

These Manchus are always so touchy, I mean I just want to open a new peacock and peach farm near their capital ...

5 December 1520

Oh, oh well, accidents do happen

[H – do you mean you don't intend to tell the readers how your new peacock hutch in Manchuria blew up when your fireworks went wrong and showered barbecued peacock across northern China?]

I knew that Jiajing was dim but it seems he has provoked a government crisis about the size and location of his tea cups.

[H – yep, quite a storm it is too]

Really rather brilliant, such puns are just my cup of tea.

Very good stuff, rather like Harry and the QM complaing for differing yet so similar reasons. At least Harry has his palace back now, although I do worry about what his version of a happy dance looks like, the QM's sounds frightening enough! Barbecued peacock sounds rather tasty too.

Queen Mum and Harry's thought seem to go in lockstep, even if the things they're thinking about are ever so slightly different (as in: wholly opposite). I see a flaw with QM's ever-West-pointing compass - at some point, west is going to be past her palace. Shouldn't she be focusing on a palace-pointing compass instead?

As far as Jiajing goes - 1 out of 3 isn't too bad. And he hasn't had time yet to really put some effort in Step 3 of the 3-Step Program, so really, he's 1 for 2. Not a stellar record, but not terrible either. And with exploding barbecue peacock (hmm - barbecue peacock... <Drool>) flying around and the Peakraken roaming the Pearl River, he's really not to blame for the stability loss.

Holy flying roasted peacock! Remind me not to mix fireworks with poultry come the next 5th of November...

So what happened to Astarte? Worrying enough to have her around, but probably even more worrying not to have her in sight.

Really rather brilliant, such puns are just my cup of tea.

Very good stuff, rather like Harry and the QM complaing for differing yet so similar reasons. At least Harry has his palace back now, although I do worry about what his version of a happy dance looks like, the QM's sounds frightening enough! Barbecued peacock sounds rather tasty too.

yep neither is happy and they are both unhappy about something different - which carries on into the next post (with disastrous outcomes)

Queen Mum and Harry's thought seem to go in lockstep, even if the things they're thinking about are ever so slightly different (as in: wholly opposite). I see a flaw with QM's ever-West-pointing compass - at some point, west is going to be past her palace. Shouldn't she be focusing on a palace-pointing compass instead?

As far as Jiajing goes - 1 out of 3 isn't too bad. And he hasn't had time yet to really put some effort in Step 3 of the 3-Step Program, so really, he's 1 for 2. Not a stellar record, but not terrible either. And with exploding barbecue peacock (hmm - barbecue peacock... <Drool>) flying around and the Peakraken roaming the Pearl River, he's really not to blame for the stability loss.

it'll be a while before Ming is to the west (at least in terms of Central Asia) of the QM, but even with clear directions and a simple 3 pt plan, Jiajing proves to have problems in sticking to his instructions

Holy flying roasted peacock! Remind me not to mix fireworks with poultry come the next 5th of November...

So what happened to Astarte? Worrying enough to have her around, but probably even more worrying not to have her in sight.

see if Guy Fawkes had been bright all he would have done is set fire to some poultry in central London & legged it. For some reason that reminds me of the brief craze among Spurs fans in the early 80s for smuggling (live) chickens into derbies with Arsenal ... and releasing them on the pitch at an appropriate moment

As to Astarte, as per the next post, she really doesn't have to do anything when Harry and the QM are intent on causing utter chaos all by themselves

I can see your infamy is very high again. Hope you'll manage it somehow.
The heir seems to be a far cry from his dad statwise, will it suit your faction juggling shemes?

Infamy I'm relaxed over. In that regular wars for defined goals is not really a valid option with the factions, I just take what I can (& keep below the level) when I can. I'm usually inert for long enough for it to burn down between wars. I don't think I've yet had a war where what I took was justified by the original CB, mainly as I seem to very rarely have the Temple faction in power (mostly as I think they are the least useful - dows and missionaries not being critical compared to buildings and trade/colonists from the other two.

In terms of faction juggling, Jiajing oddly enough is ideal. With all 3 stats pretty similar, and my currrent slider biases, it means I can use events &/or spend magistrates and more or less get who I want in power at any stage (even if there is a bias to the Temple). Hongxhi with that admin #7 will favour the bureaucrats very heavily, but on balance I'm relaxed about that, they are probably the most useful faction and I can survive on being called into defensive wars.

1521-1525, Jiajing has problems with simple instructions

2 April 1521

Spoke to Jiajing and reminded him of his priorities ... breed, stability, die. Even though I was very tactful I still find him so difficult to deal with ... and now I have a cold .... ttttcchhoooo ...

[H – you really do not expect me to say 'bless you' do you?]

6 May 1521

Sigh, just back from Nanjing. I have overeaten and must go on a diet again. So unfair.

16 September 1521

Just back from Nanjing, it is so chaotic there. I feel that I need to take a hand or Jiajing will become so confused

5 March 1522

Right, that should sort out the mess

[H – no, it won't]

3 November 1522

Sigh, do I have to do everything around here. It seems as if Jiajing has changed what passes for his mind again.

[H – yep, now to build a few more palaces off to the east]

7 December 1522

Jiajing is really impossible. I went to him to explain tactfully his priorities – breed, stability, die – and he just misunderstood me.

Fortunately I had a ship available to escape on.

[H – ok, I know I wanted this diary to be racy and exciting, but you didn't have to go that far?]

19 December 1522

I need a break, I think smoked peaches will be on the menu over the new year

[H – I need a break, really fancy something rather spicy]

28 January 1523

I left Jiajing with clear instructions to head west ... so what does he do

[H – I gave him clear instructions to head east ... good boy]

12 February 1523

Finally, after telling him 15 times, he gets it right and heads west

[H – oi, thats my new palace you're putting at risk]

11 March 1523

For someone who has a very short attention span, I am impressed with Jiajinq. He remembered his instructions for more than 15 seconds.

[H – only because I was off decorating my new palace]

15 September 1523

Breed, stability, die. I mean what part of that set of instructions involve vice and Eunuchs. Its not very likely either, as I've found out.

[H – right that should get things back under control for a while]

2 December 1523

Good, see if he puts his mind to it he can carry out simple tasks

[H – well all it took was my firm hand]

19 March 1525

right he's bred, we have stability, time for him to carry out his third task

[H – are you sure?]

21 March 1525

I sadly waved Jiajing off to war, I think it was very convincing ... now, its ... party time

[H – you seem incredibly sure this is a good idea don't you?]

14 August 1525

Oh whoopsie, Hongzhi fell in the vat of rice wine at the party

Must send urgent message to Jiajing that he has to delay dieing for a while, we're back to the breeding part of his programme

[H – I knew it was a mistake leaving you in charge]

I picture (hear?) that mournful trumpet sound they like to use for comic effect on tv and radio... :)

Seems the wrong member of the Imperial household has been taking the 'die' part of the three-step-program to heart. ;)

Queen Mother said:
and now I have a cold .... ttttcchhoooo ...
That's what she gets for hanging around with Astarte all the time... It's just not healthy.

Also liked QM's commentary on the weights and measurements event. Liked it very much. :)

Okay, so how bad is it/will it be to be at war with Vijayanagar, seeing as they appear to have consolidated their hold on most of the Indian Peninsula?

Good stuff. You never seem to have much luck with the stability events, the years spent without the Mandate of Heaven must have been a right pain in the backside with rebels marauding all over the nation. I do rather like the QM's forthright and simply plan for Jiajing, hopefully he puts off stage three for now though. Hopefully too if he succeeds with stage one once more, the QM refrains from anymore partying!

That temporary loss of the mandate of heaven was rather underwhelming, I was expecting a hail of rebellions... I guess you recovered stability quite fast. Mind you, you are still on time for a succession war :D