• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, reading about Queen Mother's experiments with immodest swimwear made eating my lunch at the same time a bit of an adventurous undertaking. My imagination was far too vivid on this one... ;)

How defensible is the colonial empire you're building? Or is that not an issue at this point?

At this stage its ok, what I try to do is to finish off a colony quickly so it can't be taken cheaply in a war. The stuff around Indonesia is vulnerable in wars with Majapahit, but they are firmly in their place after the next update. When the Europeans arrive, for a while everything is vulnerable but my basic goal is to limit them to the edges of the Pacific if I can.

How very true! Eunuch seem to have little experience in erecting anything.

The mind boggles at the thought of the QM in a bikini, little surprise her dancing in one causes stability to drop! Good that everything is now primed for westernisation though. Hopefully you get a neighbouring European nation soon. Although dealing with the stability drops following westernisation is sure to prove a challenge if the QM's bikini is not hidden away!

I was planning to auction the videos ... that should increase global stability levels?

Well done getting everything in order for westernization. But here's hoping it isn't northern India where you find a European border...

That's just awesome, considering this AAR. :D
So you are implying that the visitor and the VC organised a plot to see the peacock dead?! :eek:

Well, I don't know how far Gargunnock is from your patch but if I were you I'd send your spymaster around in case those peacocks still have a bad opinion of you.... Oh, no, I'm mixing up AARs! :rolleyes:

mixing up AARs is always so easy, when I was writing my Rise of Prussia one I was trying to manouver the Russian army across what became East Prussia at much the same time as making the same moves in the Great Patriotic War.

I live in Glasgow so we're safe for the moment from the peacock-plague

welcome aboard. its interesting to see what is similar and what is different, esp around Manchu expansion. Makes me wonder if i should have left them alone a bit longer.

Your infamy is terrifying. I did a test for this up to about 1600 when I stopped as I'd let the infamy get out of hand. its fine, even quite handy, when the wars are regional, but when the Europeans turn up they use it as an excuse for war after war. You can just about survive, but lack the land tech to fight effectively. So good luck with solving that problem.

In this, I'm careful to stay just on or below the limit, which is a pain as it means having to take long gaps, but I think over time it paid off

1549-1556, Youxue falls in and out of favour

4 February 1549

I am outraged, I caught Astarte spying on me while I was practicing a new dance routine with the peacocks

[H – well just what do you expect from her?]

[A – I was just popping by for a chat]

[H – dressed as a peacock?]

2 March 1549

No more Empress-nice-girl for me, Asia will tremble

[H – yep everytime you go dancing]

27 August 1549

I have instructed Youxue as to exactly what he has to

[H – so have I, fortunately he listens to me]

1 November 1549

I don't know why Youxue is so obsessed with trivia, he should just get on with it, my lost dignity must be avenged

[H – I'm not sure there is a 'lost dignity when seen playing air guitar through the window' CB?]

4 January 1550

Quite right too, they were so rude about me sunbathing outside the beach hut.

29 September 1550

good that stops them being able to overlook my modest holiday home

17 October 1551

Hah, this is so much more fun than being nice and sedate

[H – remind me, when did you try that?]

28 September 1552

Youjian is such a nice young man, we are going to get on so well together. He agreed with all my opinions, unlike his less gracious father.

6 January 1554

Yes, Youxue, has listened to me, we will now conquer Tibet and my Palace will be near to China. All my clever schemes have paid off.

18 February 1555

Yes, well all very interesting but its not really what this war is for ...

[H – I'll try and explain later]

[A – yes, Harold, I'd like to hear your explanation for all these wars too]
[H – nothing to do with you]

[H – yet]
[A – I heard that]

29 June 1555

I had to go and see Youxue today, I was sure this was a simple, but very bad mistake. It seems as if it was what he wanted to do ...

2 December 1555

Pah, an old Pagoda, who cares about such things, what about my Palace, abandoned ... no one cares about me in my old age ... this is so hurtful

23 February 1556

I don't care any more ...

It is quite right that everyone has is it in for Youxue, I too am rightly aggrieved

13 March 1556

outrage, I am outraged, Youxue has betrayed me

[H – oh, she does seem a mildly bit annoyed at the moment]

20 April 1556

Oh well, maybe it is all for the best, I will send Youxue my nicest tea. Even better I'll deliver it to him in person

[H – ah thats a relief, she's calmed down]

14 May 1556

Had a nice Empress-Emperor chat with Youxue. He agreed that his actions in Tibet could be seen as hurtful and I explained that it really didn't matter as we were such good friends. In any case there would always be another chance.

It was such a shock when he choked to death on a tea leaf, such a poor fragile man. Oh well, Youjian seems much more my type.

[H – let me double check. Yes he died choking on a tealeaf. But only because you'd stuffed his mouth with a peach stone while a peacock smothered him]
[A - whow]

That was death by triple choking – tea, peach, peacock. Scary :eek:

Poor Castille go the raw end of the deal with France taking Barcelona, no Spain in this game... and Sweden a monster, suspiciously frequent in EU3, no matter how much PDX deny it :rolleyes:

Haha, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen when she set out for that "personal delivery". :D

Also, what's this about Astarte getting caught spying on QM? Aren't the girls sticking together anymore? :rofl:

Excellent update!

Couple of successful wars there. China's becoming quite the power (though will you be ready to face fearsome Swedes, when they come kicking in the door from the West, after exterminating their way through the Siberian Hordes?).

Queen Mother got just a wee bit peeved with Youxue - I knew he was in trouble as soon as she invited him over for tea.:) Now I know that sending Emperors to the afterlife is nothing new for her, but the way she offed this one... Well, let's just say that it's clear she was emotionally invested in this particular incident.;)

Youjian is such a nice young man, we are going to get on so well together. He agreed with all my opinions, unlike his less gracious father.

This worried me greatly and now that he has the throne I fear for Ming! Alas for poor Youxue, what a way to go.

Wonderfully amusing stuff as ever, great to see such rapid gains. The various nations of Indochina and surrounding islands are coming well and truly under your control. Doubtless the next war with India will go rather better as a result!

In this, I'm careful to stay just on or below the limit, which is a pain as it means having to take long gaps, but I think over time it paid off

FYI - Whatever you do, stay below the limit (or at least don't go up to 90!!!:eek:). I had about half of my provinces revolting and everyone declaring war on me (my status was "We are hated throughout the world"!!!!).

You may guessed but I had to give up that game!!!:unsure: Lesson learned!

That was death by triple choking – tea, peach, peacock. Scary :eek:

Poor Castille go the raw end of the deal with France taking Barcelona, no Spain in this game... and Sweden a monster, suspiciously frequent in EU3, no matter how much PDX deny it :rolleyes:

Spain must form at some stage, as they become a bit of a pain attacking countries that I want to eat first, but thats a far way in advance of where I am at the moment.

Sweden does initially eat all Russia and Western Siberia, but must get into economic problems as a powerful Novgorod separates their Scandinavian holdings from their eastern ones by about 1650 (I'm up to about 1750 in game, so rather forget what happens when), then their role as big muncher of the hordes is taken on by Bohemia.

Haha, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen when she set out for that "personal delivery". :D

Also, what's this about Astarte getting caught spying on QM? Aren't the girls sticking together anymore? :rofl:

Excellent update!

Yep, she really felt betrayed by Youxue, at a risk of alluding to a debate being held elsewhere ... worst thing you can do to an empress is promise her fulfilment and pull back at the final moment. I guess that Astarte is not quite clear as to which side the QM is on, she after all has a vested interest in a strong China, just a different view to everyone else as to what that means. And in the next post, to be fair, our lady of the night, queen of the witches et al, has every reason to be suspicious.

Couple of successful wars there. China's becoming quite the power (though will you be ready to face fearsome Swedes, when they come kicking in the door from the West, after exterminating their way through the Siberian Hordes?).

Queen Mother got just a wee bit peeved with Youxue - I knew he was in trouble as soon as she invited him over for tea.:) Now I know that sending Emperors to the afterlife is nothing new for her, but the way she offed this one... Well, let's just say that it's clear she was emotionally invested in this particular incident.;)

Aye, that, and a few more vassalisations over the next 30 or so years, puts SE Asia firmly under control, which is what I played for from the start, its now the slow munching of those bits of India I fancy

and yes the QM was annoyed and frustrated, she could see her dreams being realised and then denied ... not a good plan if you want to live for a while

This worried me greatly and now that he has the throne I fear for Ming! Alas for poor Youxue, what a way to go.

Wonderfully amusing stuff as ever, great to see such rapid gains. The various nations of Indochina and surrounding islands are coming well and truly under your control. Doubtless the next war with India will go rather better as a result!

Youjian is quite the boy to be honest, his wonderful stats allow wars when I want it as its relatively easy to get the Temple faction in power using events/magistrates but equally have the Bureaucrats in power most of the time, so the economy develops nicely. And he lives quite a while.

FYI - Whatever you do, stay below the limit (or at least don't go up to 90!!!:eek:). I had about half of my provinces revolting and everyone declaring war on me (my status was "We are hated throughout the world"!!!!).

You may guessed but I had to give up that game!!!:unsure: Lesson learned!

As I say, I did a test, I think I bailed out about 1600, and learnt the very hard way that once the Europeans turn up a really dire reputation is deadly. its not that you lose a lot in every war, but you do lose every war, and your army is caught between trying to fight superior troops and rebel bashing, its fun, but in a pretty gruesome way. It was also that test that convinced me that my SE Asia first strategy was the way to go, as every war with India also meant I had to divert strong forces to at least fend off the armies of the SE Asian minors. This way, by the time I'm at war with India on a regular basis, a single strong Banner is all I need to keep that region quiet, and another up north, so I can put 75/80% of the army into India.

1556-1562, Smiling Buddhas and other domestic problems

2 June 1556

On my way back from the peach orchard, I decided to celebrate with a little bit of regime change, it will help Youjian to realise who is in power now

7 October 1556

Don't know what he's got to smile about?

[H – oh I don't know ... you really shouldn't announce in public that you are in charge ...]

3 December 1556

I'm back

(H – oh well, should enliven the diary I suppose)

12 July 1557

Oh

[H – oh indeed, you had your chance you know]

16 October 1557

I don't know why no one comes to visit, they all run away when I suggest a visit to the peach orchard, almost as if someone has it in for me

[H – aye, strange that]

[A – don't worry, I'm still your friend]
[H – aye, strange that too]

2 November 1557

I really thought that with Youjian in power things would be so much more lively around here

[H – actually now you mention it, yes this diary does need a bit more violence to liven it up]

15 February 1559

was it something I said

[H – its so easy when you know how]

8 September 1559

yes, result, my beach hut is mine, all mine, I'm off for a well earned break

[H – see, I knew you'd like it]

16 January 1562

One of Youjian's brothers came to visit, foolish boy just can't handle his peach juice ... such an embarrasment, he even went and spoke to some funny looking foreigners

[H – well while you are dealing with drunken peacocks, I've got other plans]

[A – heh, that was sneaky]
[H – yep, cool heh]

Oh ...

Ah, I see the British have arrived. :p

Loved the Buddha's Smile spam, always foiling QM's plans. :D

The British? In 1562?!? They sure didn't waste any time subjugating the various Celtic tribes, now did they? Nice to see them offering a helping hand in your war, although I doubt the relationship will continue to be in your best interest.

Nice to see Harry outmanoeuvring the Queen Mother comprehensively. I'm sure Astarte is watching... And waiting... If Harry's streak of good luck continues, I'm sure the good Lady will see fit to insert herself into the situation more forcefully. :)

Interesting stuff, especially the arrival of the British. I have to wonder what exactly Harry was doing to keep the Buddha smiling so often. Actually, I probably don't want to know, impressive that he managed to outfox the QM however. Since you stated the British navy is proving a pain for your enemies, who is Britain currently warring with? If they gain some land near to you it will prove very handy for westernisation. Well, provided the QM doesn't aggravate the Brits with any peach related mishaps.

Ah, I see the British have arrived. :p

Loved the Buddha's Smile spam, always foiling QM's plans. :D

Aye, the British are just in front of the French in arriving in the region

the two Buddha events was so useful as it kept the Temple faction out of power till I actually wanted them ... I've decided that all in all, they are the least useful of the factions as DoW for defined CBs is not really a feasible long term strategy and the ability to send missionaries is badly compromised by having so few to send - better to manage that problem by tolerance.

The British? In 1562?!? They sure didn't waste any time subjugating the various Celtic tribes, now did they? Nice to see them offering a helping hand in your war, although I doubt the relationship will continue to be in your best interest.

Nice to see Harry outmanoeuvring the Queen Mother comprehensively. I'm sure Astarte is watching... And waiting... If Harry's streak of good luck continues, I'm sure the good Lady will see fit to insert herself into the situation more forcefully. :)

Harry's on a bit of a roll at the moment ... but that usually ends with him crashing into a large solid object. I take the view that the British are the scariest of the Europeans due to the size of their navy, so I end up putting an awful lot of effort into being very nice to them. The others I can sort of keep at bay at sea and don't have enough transports to land seriously large armies, the Brits could wreck my navy and land 15+ stacks.

Interesting stuff, especially the arrival of the British. I have to wonder what exactly Harry was doing to keep the Buddha smiling so often. Actually, I probably don't want to know, impressive that he managed to outfox the QM however. Since you stated the British navy is proving a pain for your enemies, who is Britain currently warring with? If they gain some land near to you it will prove very handy for westernisation. Well, provided the QM doesn't aggravate the Brits with any peach related mishaps.

They are at war with that group of SE Asian states (Lan Xang + Majapahit in particular) that I've been tussling with for the last 70 or so years. Them doing some damage and taking some land rather suits me, as long as they don't capture too much of what I want for myself.

To India, at last! Now, if you can get Bloody Mary to join the party as Queen of Britain... :D

well oddly enough, almost the first act of the war is a joint RN+Ming/Peacock naval action

1562-1563, a large war is carried on in the region

27 April 1562

I've sent some specially trained peacocks to help Youjian out in his first big war, I'm sure he will appreciate my support

[H – aye, concentrate on the important stuff]

8 May 1562

and the other peacocks finished off the Koreans

[H – look just keep out the way]

29 September 1562

I do wish other people would just mind there own business

28 October 1562

heh? ... This wasn't meant to happen, I must get involved

[H – damn]
[A – got you ... again]

11 November 1562

Things improve when I help out

[H – hah, that'll teach you]
[A – pure luck]

28 January 1563

I feel that no one is listening to me

[H – look keep quiet, I'm busy]
[A – hah, Harold, losing as ever, when will you learn?]

23 May 1563

I think this is a mistake?

[H – I don't]
[A – hah, scared now are you?]

8 June 1563

what about ...

[H – hah, you've had that coming for a while]

[A – a mere scratch]

me

6 August 1563

no one

[H – am I enjoying this]
[A – just you wait]

is taking any notice

21 August 1563

of me

[H – this is soooo satisfying, you've had this coming for so long]

[A – pah, pure luck]

any more

25 September 1563

[A – ok, quits for now?]
[H – yeah, ok, see you in the same place in a few years time?]
[A – of course ... this is such good fun]

This is meant to be my diary

[H – oh, yes, you're right]

[A – sorry ...]

[H – see you soon]
[A – hugs and kisses xxxxx]

Harumph

Well done, that certainly weakens Vij in that region.

Poor QM, can't get the attention she craves. :D

I actually felt a few pangs of sympathy for the Queen Mother, as her shredded, unheard sentences fell between Harry's and Astarte's vigorous bickering. :)

So, you win (and Harry shuts up Astarte - at least for a few moments), but boy, does Ming have some lopsided 'victories' - losing 4,000 men to kill 500 enemies in a 'victory' seems pretty common. I assume you don't have to worry about manpower much as the Ming, but ouchy, the peasants bear a heavy burden for your successfull wars.

Well done, that certainly weakens Vij in that region.

Poor QM, can't get the attention she craves. :D

Its a case of little and often with Vijayanagar, I'll be on a war every 5-8 years for a while so each time I only have about 8 infamy to play with.

but yes, thats what happens when you share your diary with 2 people who have their own agendas

I actually felt a few pangs of sympathy for the Queen Mother, as her shredded, unheard sentences fell between Harry's and Astarte's vigorous bickering. :)

So, you win (and Harry shuts up Astarte - at least for a few moments), but boy, does Ming have some lopsided 'victories' - losing 4,000 men to kill 500 enemies in a 'victory' seems pretty common. I assume you don't have to worry about manpower much as the Ming, but ouchy, the peasants bear a heavy burden for your successfull wars.

there's more in the next update, just when the QM thinks she has her very own private war that pair crash in like a pair of drunks and start again

The losses were ouchy indeed, you could almost hear the peacocks crying... Were they due to attacking in unfavourable terrain or tech differential?

well when I go back to playing a normal country in EU3 I'm in for quite a lot of shocks. One thing about Ming is manpower is a non-issue. If the Bureaucrats are in power, my force limit is so high (esp once I get a couple of provinces filled up with the higher army buildings) that I can generate 15-20 unit armies at will and replenishing combat losses is not something I notice. The only reason to watch my losses is to control w/e, there is never a manpower constraint.

I think I have 1 more shock point than the Indian infantry and my cavalry are very good (I recruit a lot of Mongol horse at this stage and they are much better than either Chinese or Indian units), plus I have the NI that gives you more morale (since the Indian tech rate is even worse than mine, they only have one NI at this stage).

But the terrain is mostly mountains and jungles, so whichever side attacks takes very high losses and they have some huge armies wandering about ... at least till the end of the next update: