• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Amazing progress so far. What worries me though is the offensive halt. Hopefully the Germans will be unable to counterattack and push you back due to manpower issues (if they do in fact have any).

If Imperator Alexander III is the "last battleship", didn't you get the BB-4 class? When, if you do, will you extend your dreadnought-building program?

@Ivir Baggins: I'll try :)
@MastahCheef117: Well, I can start building BB-4s, but they will be ready only in 1918-19, when the war would be probably over. But I can tell you a story of post-war development of the Russian Empire (hope that I'll manage to avoid the Rebolution) if you want ;) I'll ask about continuation of the AAR when WW1 will be finished - if my readers like it, I'll continue.

Just discovered this great AAR; I really like the poems before each update! You have one more follower :)

i'm more certainly in agreement here, but i am astonished Avidian, you found this just now. :D

back to topic, Austrians just got angry you didn't honor the mourning after their empror :D but seriously, could it be that the major modifier in those two battles was scorched earth/dmg infra that didn't allow you take those provinces before reinforcement?

@Ivir Baggins: I'll try :)
@MastahCheef117: Well, I can start building BB-4s, but they will be ready only in 1918-19, when the war would be probably over. But I can tell you a story of post-war development of the Russian Empire (hope that I'll manage to avoid the Rebolution) if you want ;) I'll ask about continuation of the AAR when WW1 will be finished - if my readers like it, I'll continue.

I for one would love to see you continue and prevent the Soviet Union from ever rising.

i'm more certainly in agreement here, but i am astonished Avidian, you found this just now. :D

back to topic, Austrians just got angry you didn't honor the mourning after their empror :D but seriously, could it be that the major modifier in those two battles was scorched earth/dmg infra that didn't allow you take those provinces before reinforcement?

In my defense, it's been a while since I checked the Darkest Hour AAR page and there's no library I can follow ;)

@Deus Eversor: Probably. I have no idea how the Austrians managed to move at least 33 (!) divisions to the East.
@Avidian: Thanks, let's see what other readers will say :)

Everybody, thanks for comments, next update will be posted today

Excellent. Let's hope the Austrians don't cause unfixable trouble for you. Let's also hope you can advance past Stolp, as the Kaiser needs a spanking.

The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire

scaled.php
Chapter Four: 1917
Part XXIII: Total war

Krepites materi, otcy
Muzhaites' zheny, deti
Za schastie Rodiny svoei
Proidem my vse na svete.

Vpered zhe, grud'yu na vraga!
Vpered, polki likhie
Godpod' za nas, my pobedim
Da zdravstvuet Rossiya!

Mothers, fathers, be strong
Wives, children, be prepared
For the happiness of our Motherland
We'll pass through everything.

Forward, show the enemy your chest!
Forward, daring regiments
God is with us, we will win
Long live Russia!

1916 was a victorious year, but not for everybody. Serbia, Montenegro and Albania didn't survive in that terrible war. Conquest of the Balkans made Austro-Hungarian empire an ugly giant on European map. 1917 began.

Political map by 2 of January. Germany suffers a double invasion, Austro-Hungary and Bulgaria got a lot of new territories, Italy looks like bitten, Romania is split. Turkey managed to stop their enemies in the Middle East, but her north-eastern part is occupied by Russia

During 1916, only one new nation joined the war - Romania, and the war wasn't very successful for her. Two countries left the Entente (being annexed into Austria) - Serbia and Montenegro.

Fighting blocs by 2 of January

The new year started with new technological projects - even during the difficult times of war Russian scientists were working on their inventions - just like genial aircraft-designer Igor Sikorsky, who was an officer of Russian Imperial Air Force.

New bomber designed by Sikorsky is in development

1295697942_sikorski.jpg

A portrait of Igor Sikorsky

On 5 of February Brusilov realized that fast rush, like "The Baltic offensive", couldn't crush the enemies without secured flanks. Southern Poland with towns like Gleiwitz and Katowice were still in German hands (and defended by expeditionary Turkish troops), and they should be captured as soon as possible. Berkhman launched an attack from Czestochowa.

Operation in Southern Poland

139.jpg

Russian troops on march

On 16 of February Gleiwitz surrendered, and Berkhman ordered to take the town immideately.

Victory at Gleiwitz

After a week all corps were ready to attack. Katowice was stormed from two points - 11th, 14th and Grenadier Corps marched from Gleiwitz, while 8th and 15th Army Corps together with Moscow Military Disctrict - from Czestochowa.

The battle of Katowice

Six days later commander of Galizian front field marshal Ivanov told Brusilov that his armies were ready to participate in an offensive. Carpathian mountains were strategically needed for the Russians, because it was the only way to save Romania and to start fighting in the Balkans. Targets of new offensive were not the same - Odessa Military District together with 12th and 13th Army Corps attacked Chust (that city was just like Stanislawow - was stormed many times without any results) and Bistrita, a city in Transylvania.

New operation in the Carpathian mountains

60.jpg

Russian positions in Carpathians, February of 1917

All the operations were well-prepared and went well at the beggining...

Nice results

On 7 of March Katowice was successfully taken, offensive in Southern Poland finished, cutting the German front and opening the road on Berlin.

Katowice is under our control

110.jpg

Russian parade in Katowice

Long live the Tsar, death to revolution!

image001.png

Russian military successes, restored industry and agriculture, talented ministers and good resource-planning saved Russia from death - revolutionary parties like Trudoviks, SRs and Bolsheviks thought that Russia would obviously lose the war, and used that fact in their propaganda. They agitated soldiers to leave their positions, to kill their officers. They shouted: "Peace, Land and Bread!". But their efforts had no effect. After the Great Retreat Russian army managed to stop the enemies and spent two difficult years to ban him from their Motherland. They started believing their Tsar. After Russo-Japanese war they considered the Tsar incompetent and weak ruler, started calling him "Nikolashka". But when they saw how their Emperor behaved during the war, they changed their opinion. Every soldier fought with words "For the Tsar" in his mind. God save the Emperor!

But let's return to the war. On 13 of March Romania had great troubles - a lot of their territory was under enemy control. The Russians knew that without their support Romanian kingdom wouldn't last long...

Romanian troubles

In the West French offensive didn't continue after the pause - French army was still in Fulda, just like in the end of 1916. Military analysts thought that the war in the West would become positional again. Stavka didn't like the stative war at all, it could help the Germans to transfer their units to Eastern Prussia and Poland...

Still in Fulda

nw_trench_wfare_01.jpg

French army in trenches

Japanese expeditionary corps left Poland and moved to Anatolia. These brave soldiers whose five divisions fought like dragons participated in the capture of Elazig, which was taken by general Ruzsky on 13 of March.

Russian conquest of Anatolia

Next target of Caucasian front (which was renamed into Turkish front) was Karabuk.

Plewhe continues rushing onto Constantinople

The war continues
Waiting for your comments
Next update: November, 29-30

Last edited:
Well done. You should make sure Japan gets more from Versailles than they did in OTL.

Bozhe, Tsarya khrani! Those WWI AARs are awesome ^^

Hopefully, Sikorsky will not emigrate from Russia in this timeline. His talent should continue to serve the empire. Nice progress in Anatolia!

@Deus Eversor: Sure. Russia would invent TV and helicopter (cause Zvorykin and Sikorsky wouldn't emigrate). They would have all necessary resources :)

still, would there be a willingness to implement it? tsarist russia was foremostly known for having a race with a-h for a most outdated and illequipped army... i would be much more convinced if there would be a revolution, but that, that would fail before abdication, best if with use of modern tech. This becasue level of neceseary traumatization of utterly conservatist royal family/aristocracy could break that conservatism. too much successful revolutioon - russia forever in ruin, just like today, not enough successful - russia frozen in XIXth century and gets destroyed by hitler, lol...
i have my doubts, becasue i dont think that ww1 without liberalization/trauma of the rulling class will change russia much... we had war with japan- no modernization, country wide revolt- berely a propaganda theater, well at least after the crimean war tzar commited a suicide... you get my point, right?

Well-well-well...Russian army was outdated - where? She used old tactics, that's right. But what else? Weapons? Mosin 1910 was used up to 1950s and was considered as one of the world's most effecient rifles. Fedorov's Avtomat was the first automatic rifle. Artillery? Everyoune knows that Russian guns were as good as German. Aircraft? First-ever strategic bombers "Ilya Muromets" and fantastic Sikorsky fighters. Armored Cars? Not worse than in other countries. On the other hand, there wasn't enough resources and industry to produce it in large amounts. But good projects always were properly funded - for example, superdreadnought Empress Maria or Sikorsky's airplanes. Russian military wasn't outdated, its weaknesses were supplying system, old tactics, lack of ammunition and competent commanders. So, if Russia won the war and saved the Empire, all important technologies would be welcomed. Don't believe in myths ;)

P.S. About liberalisation - I would make Russia more liberal (don't forget that it got Constitutuion in 1905), but not transform it into crowned republic. Do you approve that way? :)

Last edited:
On the other hand, there wasn't enough resources and industry to produce it in large amounts. (...) Russian military wasn't outdated, its weaknesses were supplying system
not sayign there where no innovations, im saying exactly what you just told, lack of proper implementation, lack of infrastructure, lack of the goddamn production, that is what i describe as outdated. About innovations, of course there is always some ambitious eccentric aristocrats that liek to show off, like that one, that invented that wheeled tank.

Don't believe in myths ;)
I beg to differ :D entire textile production in tzarist russia was located in... yes... privislanyi krai(poland) the superior siberian coats, prestigeus suits, all produced by the polish worker, so yeah... so how we can expect russia to properly implement those innovations if it had to conquer poland over 120 years ago to properly "suit up" :D

P.S. About liberalisation - I would make Russia more liberal(...), but not transform it into crowned republic. Do you approve that way? :)
yes i do, absolutist monarchy, but in support of interpreneurship, just don't make workers mad ;-)
well, for this to work, servs would have to be liberated, which might receive opposition from aristocracy, but if you menage to do the same as in fascist japan, i think russia will be just well.

(don't forget that it got Constitutuion in 1905)
"country wide revolt- [resulted in] berely a propaganda theater"

So we can compromise here :) And Poland was called Tsardom of Poland (Tsarstvo Polskoe) and then - Privislyanskiy Krai (yeah, it's a hell-difficult word) :D

well at least after the crimean war tzar commited a suicide... you get my point, right?
he did not
but anyway, if that vague analisys of russian history is based on way too popular things :)
i'm still sure in this alter-history russia must turned into red colours... by tzar himself:blink: what is this nonsence - "more liberal but not crowned republic"? it's communism!! haha, only that way it works those times, half-measures is for 21 centuries
:cool:

So we can compromise here :) And Poland was called Tsardom of Poland (Tsarstvo Polskoe) and then - Privislyanskiy Krai (yeah, it's a hell-difficult word) :D
nah, it was never a tsardom, it was a kingdom. (i don't know, bulgars had depreciated tsardom to the level of kingdom, but fur russia it meant empire and for us poles too)
But yeah, a compromise ;d

he did not
but anyway, if that vague analisys of russian history is based on way too popular things :)
i'm still sure in this alter-history russia must turned into red colours... by tzar himself:blink: what is this nonsence - "more liberal but not crowned republic"? it's communism!! haha, only that way it works those times, half-measures is for 21 centuries
:cool:
"of course" officially its a chill :D
but yea, i agree that it could be only red russia that could ascent to modern era and yeah, half measures of present day, but hey, politicians did install eu after 50 years :D

@Old Joe: I probably found who will vote for KPRF in December :D

@Deus Eversor: Em...for Polish it was Kingdom (Królestwo Kongresowe) because they simply don't have a word for "Tsar". But in Russian laws it was called "Tsarstvo Polskoe", and it always translated as Tsardom of Poland. In English this is often called "Congress Kingdom".
A legend about Nicholas I's suicide is just a legend. You can believe or not - but no evidence found (it's similar to suicide of George VI of England). But I agree, that war killed him morally and this quite strong and healthy man became terribly ill just in a few months :(