• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Germany really looks to be in a bad shape now. With the Ruhr falling, they must have lost a sizeable amount of IC, and their front seems to be very thin in both Poland and Western Europe. Whilst Italy is certainly in a lot of trouble, its doubtful if their defeat will be enough to save Germany, and more doubtful still that those divisions Germany has deployed in Italy wouldnt be better employed in the Reich itself.

I think perhaps that soon the fight wont be against Germany, but instead a fight to see who can get to Berlin first.

Maybe Italy could suffer a similar fate to Russia in OTL, eg collapsing into a civil war after a military defeat. The situation certianly looks pretty bad with no-one defending Florence and several provinces on the frontline.

The post-war world could be, interesting, shall we say...

Germany really looks to be in a bad shape now. With the Ruhr falling, they must have lost a sizeable amount of IC, and their front seems to be very thin in both Poland and Western Europe. Whilst Italy is certainly in a lot of trouble, its doubtful if their defeat will be enough to save Germany, and more doubtful still that those divisions Germany has deployed in Italy wouldnt be better employed in the Reich itself.

I think perhaps that soon the fight wont be against Germany, but instead a fight to see who can get to Berlin first.
small nitpick: The Ruhr are is east of the Rhine, not west. :) The French on that screenshot conquered the Rhineland, while the Ruhr area (corresponding to the Düsseldorf and Essen provinces) is still under German control.

Looks like Germany is buckling under the stress! Soon the Anglo-Belgian armies will also move forward to the Rhine and then it'll not be long until they make another big push...

The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire

scaled.php
Chapter Three: 1916
Part XXI: Finished reconquest

Kogda my byli na voine
Kogda my byli na voine
Tam kazhdyi dumal o svoei lyubimoi
Ili o zhene.

I ya by tozhe dumat' mog,
I ya by tozhe dumat' mog,
Kogda d na trubochku glyadel,
Na goluboi ee dymok.

When we were at war
When we were at war
Everybody there thought about his girl
Or about his wife.

And I could think about it,
And I could think about it,
When I was looking at my pipe,
At her blue smoke.

25 of August was another victorious day of the Russian Imperial Army. Wloclawek was again under their control.

Polish front, 25 of August

Only after two days the offensive continued - another target was Sosnowiec, a city that fell first in German hands. Russia had to retake this city to restore her lost prestige and finally reconquer Poland. General Zabelin was a man who lost Sosnowiec in 1914. Now his personal revenge began...

The battle of Sosnowiec

In the south with Russian help things went much better - Romanian army stood against the Bulgarians, defeated them and answered with a good counter-attack. By 1 of September Bulgarian cities of Ruse, Gabrovo and Plovdiv were under Romanian occupation.

Situation is better in Romania

After that, the front stabilized for more than 20 days - Russian army needed rest after such terrific offensives. So, next operation in Galizia began only on 23 of September.

196.jpg

Russian soldier in the trench

Troops of Kievan Military District attacked Nowy Sacz, and won the battle soon. Austrian army was in the worst shape - without proper artillery support, uniforms and ammunition they lost all their courage. Russian army had no difficulties.

Victory at Nowy Sacz

318.jpg

Russian troops have a rest after the battle

On 27 of September in Romanian front the Bulgarians successfully attacked and Romanian army failed again - a lot of her forces were in giant Pleven-Gabrovo-Plovdiv-Hrabrovo pocket. But Bulgarian army didn't manage to keep the pocket and lost...Some notable Russian commanders called war in the Balkans "One giant madness".

Mess, mess, mess...

On 28 of September the Tsar had a speech in Stavka, where he said that Russian army desperately needed new equipment to be competent in the modern war. He proposed to use new machineguns and unique Fedorov's assault rifle together with classic Mosin-1890 and Mosin-1910 rifles.

New infantry equipment to be developed

Awtfed.jpg

"Avtomat Fedorova", world's first assault rifle. Designed by Russian engineers in 1916.

But development and rearming of giant Russian Imperial Army needed too much time. New equipment would be probably implemented only in elite divisions like Imperial Guards, Grenadier Corps and St.Petersburg's Miltiary District. On 10 of October the Russians besieged Czestochowa, the last occupied city of Russia.

For the Motherland, cha-a-arge!

334.jpg

Russian soldiers are crossing the river

After 12 days the Germans lost the battle and had to retreat. They were leaving the Russian soil forever!!!

Grenadier Corps of general Baratov is ready to finish the Reconquest

In the Turkish front everything was really good, GD Nicholas reported that Trabzon was finally captured as well as others. Now, Russian front in Anatolia was a great menace for the Turks.

The Ottoman territories under Russian control

So, Russian commanders didn't wait for long - 1st and 3rd Caucasian Corps attacked Samsun on 22 of October.

Offensive in northern Anatolia

Meanwhile, in the West Germans managed to chill down the Entente forces, but they realized that counter-offensive would be impossible. So, the French stopped in Fulda, waiting for the good moment.

Western front, October of 1916

In Italy French divisions launched a massive expedition, that helped Italians to liberate Parma. With the help of FEC (French Expeditionary Corps) Italy got a chance to save the front. Central Powers started losing the war everywhere...

FEC troops in Parma

On 28 of October Russian flag was raised in Czestochowa. The reconquest of Poland, a desperate and bloody counteroffensive lasted more than two years after the Great Retreat in 1914 was finished. Russia lost more than a million soldiers and officers trying to save their land, and their efforts were finally successful. The war was changed...

Russia is now in 1914-borders!

310.jpg

Victorious soldiers of Grenadier Corps in Czestochowa

The defensive war against Germany was won. It was time to enter the German lands (like in Eastern Prussia) and finally crush the enemy.

The war continues
Waiting for your comments
Next update: November, 26

Last edited:
@ARC1997: Thanks. Wrangel? I don't remember him as a current commander, so he's probably in free commanders' list.

Youve made some really good progress this update. With Italy stabalised and the Western allies across the Rhine, it does look increasingly hopeless for Germany and the Central powers.

As long as you can save Romania, I dont really see a way for the Central powers to save this other than mounting a desperate last push with all their forces on one front.

Finally, all Russian holy lands that were occupied by vicious enemies are now returned under the Tzar's unquestionable soveregnity! Onwards, time for revenge!

Thank God the Italians are kicking again. I was worried that the Austrians would march all the way to Napoli.

Just discovered this great AAR; I really like the poems before each update! You have one more follower :)

@Avadian: Many thanks :)
@Deus Eversor: Yeah, messy Balkans are so messy...
@SovietAmerika: Probably not Italians, but French that fought together with Italians ;)
@Asalto: Yes, a great day for the Russian military history, but we still have a long-long way to go :laugh:
@DoomBunny: Thanks, I agree with your point of view

Everybody, thanks for comments, next update will be posted today, but a little bit later.

The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire

scaled.php
Chapter Three: 1916
Part XXII: To the west

Pust svischut puli, lietsya krov'
Pust' smert' nesut granaty
My smelo dvinemsya vpered
My - russkie soldaty.

V nas krov' otcov-bogatyrei
I delo nashe pravo
Klyanemsya Rus' my zaschitit'
Il umeret' so slavoi

Let the bullets whistle, let the blood run
Let the grenades to kill
We'll move out with courage
Cause we are Russian soldiers.

We have legendary warriors' blood in us
And our target is right
We promise to defend Russia
Or to die with glory

On 7 of November Russian army corps' started invasion in Western Poland. Polish front was renamed into Western front (cause no more Russo-Polish lands were occupied by the enemies) and general Ewert got new orders. Troops of Warsaw Military District, Wilno Military District, St. Petersburg Military District, 17th, 20th and 25th Army Corps had a short rest in Czestochowa and started marching.

Bydgoszcz is our next stop!

On the same day Woodrow Wilson was re-elected in the United States.

New term of Wilson

Two days later, admiral Kolchak (commander of Pacific Fleet) had a meeting with naval supreme commander, admiral Grigorovich, and accepted his proposal to create a new raiders' tactics for the Russian navy.

New tactics by Kolchak

Offensive operation against Bydgoszcz took 14 days and faced no resistance. Russian soldiers just came and took the city.

Russians captured first city in German Poland

171.jpg

Russian echelons approaching Bydgoszcz rail station

On the same day Eastern-Prussian front launched an offensive against weak German garrisons in Stolp and Deutsch-Krone. Stavka called that operation "The Baltic offensive", and its main target was German capital, which was so close...

Plans of the Baltic offensive

On 21 of November Franz Joseph I, 'the last old-school monarch of Europe', passed away. It was his personal fault to start that destructive war. He realized that his old empire wouldn't survive a global war. But he started it.

Franz Joseph is dead

e3ddb7de0030.jpg

New royal house of Austria

Meanwhile, Russian offensives went very well - 12 vs. 7 in Chust, 7 vs. 3 in Nowy Sazs (Carpathian mountains), 17 vs. 9 in Deutsch-Krone and 14 vs. 6 in Stolp (East Prussia).

Russian battles, November 27

On 8 of December last battleship - Imperator Alexander III - was finally ready for battle.

One more dreadnought

Suddenly, on 12 of December the situation changed - Austrian army got a lot of fresh reinforcements in Nowy Sasz and the battle was lost. The Russians had to stop the offensive - that was unexpected, Russian commanders already considered Austria-Hungary was dead...

Sudden failure at Nowy Sasz

Encouraged by their allies' victory, the Germans moved all their forces to the east to save Berlin, and they managed to defeat advancing Russians, even with terrible casualties. General von Val, who lost the battle of Stolp, said: "Their victory was heroic. Germans can defend, not only attack". The Baltic offensive was delayed...

Russians have to stop near Stolp

1916 Strategic overview

130px-Flag_of_the_German_Empire.svg.png

German front:
Successes, successes and successes! New Russian supreme commander Brusilov did a great work to crush the strongest enemy units, used right moments to launch offensives, implemented a lot of new doctrines in the Russian Imperial Army. Together with Yanushkevich and Alexeev he managed to supply the giant army properly - "Ammo hunger" was no more. Tsar's army liberated all the lands that were occupied by their enemies in 1914-1915 and even invaded enemy provinces. But the Germans showed their teeth and stopped huge Russian armies near Stolp. So, there's much work to do.

The biggest victory: Brusilov's strike (battles of Danzig, Gdynia, Wloclawek and Lodz)
The biggest defeat: Battle of Stolp

The most successful commander:

General Ewert, commander of Polish (later Western) front. Wasn't a good commander in 1914-1915, but together with Brusilov he showed his tactician skills and was one of the authors of "Brusilov's strike" and "Baltic offensive". After that he became known as a supplier and planner, not a strategist - maybe it wasn't so prestigious in Russian army, but very important for the successful warfare. Ewert was just a right man to help Brusilov and to coordinate the corps. He participated in all main land battles against the Germans in 1916.

130px-Flag_of_Austria-Hungary_1869-1918.svg.png

Austro-Hungarian front:

War in Galizia and Carpathian mountains become secondary in 1916. Anyway, Russian armies were successful there too - fortress of Stanislawow and Cernauti fell, and whole Galizia was occupied by the Imperial Army. However, in Carpathians the battles were terrible and bloody - without any experience of mountainous warfare the Russians suffered brutal casualties. It was the main reason of defeat at Nowy Sasz - but with defeats in Italy Austria should fall soon.

The biggest victory: 3rd battle of Stanislawow
The biggest defeat: 2nd battle of Nowy Sasz

General Berkhman was probably the most unsuccessful Russian commander of WW1, but the things changed radically after 5th battle of Tarnow, when he started behaving as a careful military leader. He wasn't as talented and legendary as Brusilov, but when general Brusilov left Galizian front and became a Commander-in-Chief no other generals were equal to Berkhman there. He wasn't a man of luck, he was a tough fighter

130px-Ottoman_Flag.svg.png

Turkish front:

The exhausting stalemate was broken with effective offensives - the Russians invaded Anatolia and rapidly captured a lot of Turkish provinces - Erzurum, Trabzon, Sivas, Elazig, Samsun...The Ottoman army was strong in 1914 and managed to keep the front even in 1915, but Russia was simply more powerful. With joint operations of Entente forces in the Middle East Russian commanders defeated Turkish army totally.

The biggest victory: Siege of Erzurum
The biggest defeat: No

General Plewhe - extremely brave and skilled general, commander of 1st Caucasian Corps. His crossing of the Caucasus became a soldier's song, and GD Nicholas personally awarded him for that fantastic operation. After crossing the Caucasus he captured a lot of major cities like Sivas and Samsun and didn't lose any battles that made him very famous in Stavka. Plewhe would probably never achieve the successes of Brusilov and Alexeev, but his operations in Turkey had already become a history.

The war will continue in 1917
Waiting for your comments
Next update: November, 27-28

Last edited:
Well, whilst it would seem the Central powers still have a lot of fight in them, those troops will have had to come from somewhere. Even if the Germans do stop your offensives for a while, they still have lots of other fronts to fight on, all of which now have less troops.

Is that William Jennings Bryan as Woodrow Wilson's VP? I guess Thomas Marshall was cramping Wilson's style.