• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another top update. One question, didn't the Black Sea Fleet have only about four ships left after that battle with the Turks? Not that I am complaining, hopefully those ships should be able to bombard the Turk positions in northern Anatolia.

@Kaiser_Mobius, @talt: You're right, I had 4 battleships, but one of them (BB-1 Tri Sviatitelia) was too damaged, I just deleted it earlier (and forgot) - let's think that it had no chances to survive ;)

@talt: I added some destroyers later, and the battle was not against Turks, but against the Austrians ;)

Last edited:
The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire

scaled.php
Chapter Three: 1916
Part XIX: Offensives & Counteroffensives

Na gore vysokoi dva kresta stoyat.
Pod goroi gluboko dva druzhka lezhat.
Pod goroi gluboko dva druzhka lezhat,
Prihodila devica, vse vysprashivala.
Prihodila devica, vse vysprashivala:
Net li mezhdu nimi zheniha moego.
Net li mezhdu nimi zheniha moego.
Mogila otvechala: "Netu zdes' ego"
Mogila otvechala: "Netu zdes' ego"

On the high mountain there were two crosses
Under the mountain there were two guys deep in the soil.
Under the mountain there were two guys deep in the soil,
A girl came and ask the mountain.
A girl came and ask the mountain:
Isn't my friend here?
Isn't my friend here?
The tombstone answered: "No, he isn't here"
The tombstone answered: "No, he isn't here"

By 7 of May Serbia and Romania had great troubles. Bulgarian armies captured a lot of their lands, beating opposing forces everywhere.

Balkans, May of 1916

hw_bulgarian_armis_01.jpg

Bulgarian soldiers

Meanwhile, in peaceful Britain the terrible event occurred - Irish nationalists, led by Patrick Pearce, tried to overthrow British regime in Ireland. When the revolt was crushed, it became clear that these nationalists wanted to establish prince Joachim of Prussia as Irish king...

Easter rising

townafter1916uprising540.jpg

After the uprising...

By 22 of May Baltic fleet received new destroyers, and consisted 18 combat units.

Essen is now strong enough to fight with the Germans!

On 2 of June Austria was nearly cleared from the Entente intervention forces. Salzburg was last bastion of British army, and they had no chances to defend it. English commander had to surrender to the Germans. Capitulation of British expeditionary forces was on 4 of June.

Status quo in Austria

Austria by June, 4

But this disaster led to a victory on another front - the French managed to break German lines of defence and were in Erfurt when...the Germans trapped them. A great number of divisions were in that "Westphalia pocket".

Failed French offensive

wwi_sniper.jpg

German sniper in the trench searching his target

On 21 of June Serbia and Montenegro fell. These two brave Balkan states fought courageously and managed to survive fore more than two years. But their enemies were too powerful. Franz Josef officially became a king of Serbia&Montenegro. Some Serbian troops left their homeland and joined the Russian Imperial army.

Balkan tragedy

Austrian soldiers executing Serbs

Meanwhile, Westphalian operation continued. French armies were totally encircled in two provinces of Fulda and Erfurt.

Encirclement

nw_ger_billets_01.jpg

German soldiers

On 6 of July Russian corps entered Elazig. That was the second Turkish city that surrendered to Imperial Army.

Russian army in Elazig

244.jpg

Soldiers have a rest

On 8 of July Stavka started 3rd attempt to take Stanislawow. That city stood strong. 5th, 7th, 9th and 21st Army Corps had a clear task - to capture the city. Without Stanislawow Russia couldn't help Romania, so there was only one solution.

3rd attack on Stanislawow

116.jpg

Officers near Stanislawow

The war continues
Waiting for your comments
Next update: November, 21-23

Last edited:
Well, thanks to the 'generous' efforts of your allies, it would seem the Germans have been handed a massive bonus.

With French, British and Italian divisions wiped out, Serbia gone and Italy on the point of collapse, soon they may be able to regain their previous power.

I think the best move now is to go all out on the offense, try and take Berlin and lift some pressure off the other allies, Romania especially.

Why did the German/Austiran forces never try to capture unprotected provinces in northern Italy?

Good to know your navy is starting to get back on it's feet. Bad thing is that it's only composed of battleships and destroyers :p And keep wreaking havoc on the Ottomans!

Romania needs support. Send troops and mil control them. I reckon you could pull about 12 divisions of the Polish front to rescue the Romanians. If possible, hold Bucharest and Ploesti.

Last edited:
Well this is one messy war, now isn't it?

Now that is a really big series of successes for the Central Powers. Romania looks like it is epically failing, the Italians look like they are ripe for invasion, Serbia & Montenegro have surrendered, and France's little blitz into the middle of Germany looks like it has turned into a disaster. It will be interesting to see if the Germans/Austria-Hungary can take advantage of these victories and go on the offensive.

Good update.

@DoomBunny: To be serious, I could not expect SUCH a FAIL from them. But AI is AI, sometimes it makes the game more interesting :)
@Akaki: Ask them, I don't know :D
@MastahCheef117: Well, battleships and destroyers are a backbone of the navy, yaaaargh! :D Thanks.
@Ivir Baggins: Polish front is too important. And too far away. Maybe I'll take some divisions from Galizia.
@SovietAmerika: I have to say that every war is messy, you know
@son of liberty: You're right :)
@Kaiser_Mobius: They're successful at the moment, you're right, but they had a great price to pay for that - they spent so much resources, IC and manpower...They only got one or two more years of war. Our victory is inevitable! ;)

Romania's FAIL looks pretty much like the FAIL they pulled off historically... IIRC they got totally overrun within months of their DOW on A-H, and in 1918 they were even forced to sign a humiliating peace treaty.

Good aar you've got going here. :)

@Ivir Baggins: Polish front is too important. And too far away. Maybe I'll take some divisions from Galizia.

You could bring about 4 divisions each from Elbing and Warsaw, plus 4 from other parts, which then replace 12 divisions in Galicia. Or you could force a diversionary action by attacking Danzig with some of those 16 divisions in Elbing.

Sorry to spoil the fun, but surely there is some rule against that execution pic?

Other than that, nice to see Austrian front stabilizing, Germany was close to collapse, but that pocket is a much needed relief... if it works. The Central Powers will get a huge boost with the defeat of Serbia. Expect a lot of Bulgarians appearing in Turkey.

So we'll see if the Entente can keep up the momentum.

@Storm501: No rules were violated - rules tell about no posting of swastika, concentration camps, holocaust, massacres or abuse on civilian people. Here Austrian SOLDIERS execute Serbian SOLDIERS - their enemies, not innocent citizens. Law of war is always harsh. I don't think it's a violation, but if moderator tells me to delete it - I'll do :)

woooah, romania will surely fall, and you have a ton of soldaten working on your south flank... and with western allies loosing it, it seems that this aar will result in either "the great war was won in the east" or kaiserreich...

woooah, romania will surely fall, and you have a ton of soldaten working on your south flank... and with western allies loosing it, it seems that this aar will result in either "the great war was won in the east" or kaiserreich...

Both would be fun... just be different from irl situation as much as possible, while remain realistic.

Nice to see that German AI is not as stupid as it seemed to be when Munich was in Italian hands.

The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire

scaled.php
Chapter Three: 1916
Part XX: Brusilov's strike

Kak rodnaya menya mat'
Provozhala
Tut i vsya moya rodnya
Nabezhala

Oh, kuda ty, parenek
Oh, kuda ty
Ne hodil by ty, Vanek
Vo soldaty!

When my mother
Said good-bye to me
All my relatives
Started asking:

Oh, where do you go, boy
Oh, where
You'd better not to be soldier, Ivan
Better not to be

Italy was losing the war and everybody realized it. Her armies were beaten, her commanders were incompetent, her industry collapsed. By 9 of July Central Powers' armies invaded Parma.

Parma is taken by the enemies

Foreign diplomats asked Tsar's government to save Italy by starting a huge operation in the East. Entente badly needed Russian help, and Stavka decided to launch an offensive. Operational plans were created by Brusilov (Commander-in-Chief), Alexeev (General-Adjutant of Stavka), Yanushkevich (Chief of General Staff) and Evert (Commander of the Polish front). The plan's plot was a large full-front offensive operation, which was unofficially called "Brusilov's strike".

Russian main 1916 offensive

Targets to capture were Danzig, Gdynia, Wloclawek and Lodz - German key positions of the Eastern front. 20 armies of 80 divisions participated in the operation.

134.jpg

Russian heavy artillery

So, on 17 of July "Brusilov's strike" began. Russian soldiers after massive artillery fire (a lot of ammo were transferred from other fronts to support the offensive) and air strikes (all existing bombers "Ilya Muromets" were used) started marching on German positions. First line of defence was crushed soon - enemies didn't have enough forces to defend.

Russian army starts the push

While soldiers were fighting and dying for their Tsar and Motherland, Russian scientists continued working for the military industry. Next project was being developed for Russian intelligence service - Okhranka.

Russian tabulators will be ready soon

On 22 of July defenders of Stanislawow (Galizia) gave up. On the same day Russian army entered Danzig, very important Baltic port.

Austrians leave Stanislawow, Germans leave Danzig

By 25 of July Russians captured Danzig and broke the resistance in Gdynia. Only garrisons of Wloclawek and Lodz were fighting, but without any hope. Brusilov's plan was going to be a great success for the Entente in 1916.

First positive results of the July offensive

319.jpg

Victorious troops in the captured port of Danzig

The French were happy to know about Russian successes and started their own operation - first after catastrophe in Westphalia. French soldiers secondly crossed the front and invaded German cities of Trier, Darmstadt and Neuwied. Germany had great troubles...

They're beaten from the two sides!

On 30 of July general Berkhman captured Lodz suburbs. His German opponent had no chances to win the battle even with 16 divisions. Lodz battle was going to become a catastrophe.

The battle of Lodz, probably the most terrible disaster of Germany in WW1

87.jpg

Russian soldiers at the outskirts of Lodz

On 5 of August Stanislawow was finally Russian-controlled. Now Stavka had an opportunity to save Romania and General Staff started preparing for the opening of new - Romanian - front.

The Russians occupy Stanislawow

Meanwhile, on 8 of August Austria-Hungary invaded Albania and annexed that neutral country. A barbaric step, and absolutely useless.

Albania? Just why?

Nine days later last Austrian army in Galizia was defeated - a "pocket" in Cernauti helped the Russians to get a border with Romania.

9th Army Corps heads for Cernauti

On 19 of August Russian army occupied Gdynia and liberated Lodz. Wloclawek had some forces to defend, but their defeat was just a matter of time. "Brusilov's strike" was a fantastic, genius success of the Russian military.

Germany loses the war in the East

Last hours of German Wloclawek

133.jpg

Victorious Brusilov with his adjutant

In the West everything was brilliant - Russian strategic victory forced Kaiser's generals to defend the Eastern border. The Entente used that weakness and attacked again. Cologne fell, just like many other Western German cities. The second Reich was close to death.

Western Europe, 21 of August

A week later Wloclawek fell, the offensive was successfully finished. Nobody could predict such a victory for the Russian army. Brusilov became a national hero, and the Tsar personally thanked him for his brilliant operation.

The war continues
Waiting for your comments
Next update: November, 25

Last edited:
Germany really looks to be in a bad shape now. With the Ruhr falling, they must have lost a sizeable amount of IC, and their front seems to be very thin in both Poland and Western Europe. Whilst Italy is certainly in a lot of trouble, its doubtful if their defeat will be enough to save Germany, and more doubtful still that those divisions Germany has deployed in Italy wouldnt be better employed in the Reich itself.

I think perhaps that soon the fight wont be against Germany, but instead a fight to see who can get to Berlin first.