• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Germans are definitely giving you a fit. Do you have a plan for stopping them?

@son of liberty: Yes, I have. At the moment I outnumber their forces in the Eastern Prussia. I'll try to attack Klaipeda, Tilsit and rush onto Koenigsberg. I hope it will force them to stop steamrolling my Polish provinces.

I hope they don't get to Moscow first ;)

The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire

scaled.php
Chapter One: 1914
Part V: The Great Retreat

My russkie!
S nami Bog!
My russkie! Russkie ne prodayut
Za Rodinu
Posledniy vzdoh!

(We're Russians!
God is with us!
We're Russians! Russians never betray
Their Motherland
For one more chance to breathe!)

On 7 of February the battle for Klaipeda-Memel was won, and Russian troops entered Eastern Prussia. Anyway, Warsaw was lost, at it was a great shock for citizens of the Empire.

We take Memel, but lose Warsaw

But the Russians didn't want to keep Polish capital in enemy hands - on the same day Russian army started a counteroffensive and attacked Warsaw.

Second battle of Warsaw

Russian general offensive in Galizia went on - main targets of new operation were fortified city of Przemysl (Peremyshl in Russian) and Stryj. The Austrians were supported by some German divisions (good sign for the Russian HQ - it means that Kaiser had less divisions in Poland), but the Russian army was still bigger.

Galizian general offensive, Peremyshl operation.

34.jpg

Russian cavalrymen

But all plans were spoilt - on 8 of September minor Austrian forces managed to capture undefended city of Lublin, and the Russians had to recapture the province.

Waste of time

Brusilov fights for Lublin

By 14 of September one more Polish city - Lodz - was in German hands. Russian strategic fails in Poland were called "The Great Retreat" by all European newspapers.

Lodz is lost

1507.jpg

Russian soldiers fall back from Poland

Military defeats raised Russian national dissent level - Russian society forgot about patriotism and manifestations, that they made in August. Only one month of war took about 150 000 of dead and injured men and 50% of Polish territories. It was a tragedy...But, anyway, on 15 of September Russians took Klaipeda.

Memel is taken

Meanwhile, in September Turkey entered the war. Together with the Central Powers. On 16 of September Ottoman fleet moved to the Black sea. Russian fleet decided to attack the enemy.

Ebergard moves out

The battle

In the Western front Germans captured Belgian town of Liege.

Western allies don't perform well too

On 17 of September the battle in Central Black Sea was won. Russian Black Sea fleet lost light cruiser Kagul, while the Turks lost their battleship Barbaros Hayreddin.

Victory

On 18 of September situation stabilized.

Russian ongoing battles

245.jpg

Russian pilots

In the end, Russian HQ decided to start the offensive chit and break the fronts. Offensive chit could help Russian armies to complete their strategic targets. It was a risky step, but Russian commanders together with the Tsar were sure, that it will help.

The offensive chit started!

First results of the offensive cheat appeared on 20 of September - the Russians won the battle of Przemysl.

March, march!

A day later the Germans started massive offensive agains well-doing Russian troops in Galizia - German army of 15 divisions attacked general Berkhman's forces in Tarnow.

Germans attack

404.JPG

Russians fight for Tarnow

The war continues
Waiting for your comments
Next update: October, 25

I lol'd a bit when I saw those Japanese units on the front. Given past events with the Japanese, its weird to think of them ever sending their soldiers to fight alongside you. :p

I will be following this AAR closely. It will be interesting to see how you will handle this, especially if the Germans keep giving you a thrashing (Germany is doing WAY better now than they did in your previous attempt!) and if dissent hits possibly lead to the Russian revolution taking place.

This aar finally made me buy DH by the way. :closedeyes:

Good updates. Waiting to see what happens next.

Last edited:
@Kaiser_Mobius: Yes, I lol'd too) And I simply don't understand how they managed to get there...Let's think that they were transferred by Trans-Siberian railroad a few weeks ago :D

scaled.php
Part VI: We will fight!

Slavny byli nashi dedy
I pro nas izvesten svet
Na srazheniya, na pobedy
Nas vsegda sam Tsar vedet

S nami trud on razdelyaet
Pered nami on v boyakh
Schastiem vsyak iz nas schitaet
Umeret' v ego glazakh

(Our grandfathers were glorious
And all the world knew about them
For battles, for victories
Tsar leads us always

He shares all duties with us
He's before us in fights
Everybody is happy
To die in front of his eyes)

On 24 of September the Austrians finally lost Przemysl. This fortified city was their main strongpoint since the start of the war.

Przemysl is lost

On the same day he Russians lost the battle of Tarnow and had to retreat.

We are defeated

By 28 of September Radom was in German hands. Russia was dangerously close to losing of all her Polish provinces. The Great retreat didn't stop.

The Great retreat, 28 of September

8.jpg

Retreat

The offensive in Turkey continued. Russian army of Grand Duke Nicholas attacked Ottoman forces in Trabzon.

Battle of Trabzon

October started with losing of Kuwait. The Ottomans annexed this little pro-Entente state.

Turks annex Kuwait

By 1 of October the Russians lost Ostroleka. Step by step, Russian soldiers were falling back.

We have to leave Ostroleka

On 3 of October Russian attempt to take Warsaw back failed.

They didn't manage to rake Warsaw

336.jpg

Results of the battle

By 4 of October Stryi was controlled by the Russian army.

Stryi is Russian!

173.jpg

Orthodox priest and wounded soldiers in Stryi

A day later the Russians started their offensive in Chust, Bessarabia.

We'll push them out!

Russian battles by October, 8

Tarnow was captured by 8 of October.

Galizia, 8 of October

By 10 of October the Russians started counteroffensive near Radom.

3rd battle of Radom

9.jpg

German POWs

On 16 of October Russian forces started new offensive near Tilsit.

Head for Tilsit!

On 21 of October after bloody and desperate fight Russian armies had to leave Belostok...

Defeat, one more

The war continues
Next update: October, 28

This looks bad, the offensive chit doesn't look like it accomplished much, aside from the capture of Przemysl. At least you didn't have a Tannerberg yet.
Also, this make me want to play a Russia game

scaled.php
Part VII: God save Russia!

Bozhe, Tsarya khrani!
Silnyi, derzhavnyi!
Tsarstvui na slavu
Na slavu nam!

Tsarstvui na strakh vragam
Tsar pravoslavnyi!
Bozhe, Tsarya khrani!
Silnomu dolgi dni!

(God save the Tsar!
Mighty and powerful!
Rule for glory
For our glory!

Rule to make our enemies afraid
The Orthodox Tsar!
God save the Tsar!
Give him long days of life!)

On 23 of October Russian counterattack near Radom failed with new German reinforcements.

Attack on Radom is over

Four days later, Russian forces reached Cernauti and started the fight against Austrians.

Battle of Cernauti

On 30 of October German troops took Biyalostok. Emperor was in bad mood, like the whole Stavka. Polish front was falling to the east...

Germans in Biyalostok

On 5 of November first dreadnought from the project - Sevastopol - was ready.

Good news for the navy

Sevastopol in Black Sea Fleet

By 11 of November the Austrians broke the front and captured Tarnopol once again.

Difficult situation

169.jpg

Dead Russian soldiers in Galizia

On 13 of November the Tsar was happy to hear that Tilsit was taken by the Russian armies.

Good news at last!

Next day, Russian forces from Stryi attacked Austrian divisions in Tarnopol in order to close the hole in the frontline.

Meanwhile, in the Western front everything was the same...

WWI.jpg

The trenches...

While in the front Russian armies weren't successful, Russian economy managed to prepare for the war and industry was working well. On 16 of November the Russians started creating reserve divisions from 3rd mobilization stage. Stavka decided to deploy 10 new infantry units. Also, new airfields were being built.

Russian production

And on 21 of November the great day began - Russian army of 21 divisions attacked the capital of Eastern Prussia - legendary Koenigsberg, coronation place of German Emperors. General von Val, commander of the Guard Corps, lead Russian troops against the Kaiser's soldiers.

This battle can be called decisive!

27.jpg

Russian HQ, some hours before the battle

Japanese soldiers, transferred by the Trans-Siberian railroad, provided some help, too. These expeditionary forces fought well, in spite of the fact, that during 1904-1905 they were Russian enemies. On 28 of November Russian army took one more attempt to recapture Warsaw.

Fight for Warsaw!

On 29 of November the second battleship, Poltava, was ready.

One more dreadnought

In the Turkish front the Russian HQ decided to start one more offensive on Trabzon.

2nd battle of Trabzon

342.jpg

Russian machinegunners in the Caucasus

The war continues
Next update: October, 28

Enjoying the read so far. Germans really seem to be giving you a kicking in Poland, but at least your doing well in Prussia. Dont you think perhaps it might have been better to build more land forces rather than continuing with the Battleships?

@DoomBunny: Thanks. It's not a simple question. Personally, I'm naval-oriented person, and I'm really sorry of tiny Imperial Fleet of 1914. :( Before 1904 it was 3rd-ranked, and these battleships could help me to keep the status of a naval state. Also, these ships were 70%-complete and I decided not to abort the production. Land units are important too, I ordered to build 10 of them, and I hope to build more.

I am also highly naval oriented, but I never play Russia/Sov for that. Their teams will always leave you behind from a tech perspective.

@son of liberty: Yes. That's why I so liked 1914-mod for HOI2. I had an ability to start in 1897 (when Russian naval techs were competitive enough) and to save the Russian fleet from death in Russo-Japanese war. Russian Empire was a naval giant during all her history, being 3rd ot 4th in the world. But in 1914 and during the Soviet era Russian navy is useless :(

P.S. It's funny, but during the OTL Great War the Russian navy won all battles against the Turks and Germans :D

Great ARR so far, things will get interesting once the civil war kicks in.

@Soulstrider: I hope there won't be civil war because it's not developed well in this version :D
@Kaiser_Mobius: Check the dates. It wasn't Imperial Navy, it was corrupted and discouraged Republican Navy, while Imperial Navy won all the battles: Cape Sarych (1914), Gotland battle (1915), Battle for Riga Gulf (1915), Battle of Pillau (1916) and so on. These victories showed how good Russian naval tacticians (Kolchak, Ebergard, Essen, Bakhirev) were. After the revolution without talented commanders and with rebellious seamen onboard Russian Republican Navy also lost Operation Albion :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Magdeburg
I also love this story :D

scaled.php
Part VIII: Blood, sweat and trenches

Brala russkaya brigada
Galiziyskie polya
I ostalis' mne v nagradu
Dva zheleznykh kostylya

Iz sela my troe vyshli
Troe pervykh na sele
I ostalis' v Peremyshle
Dvoe gnit' v syroi zemle

(Once upon a time a Russian brigade was fighting
For the fields of Galizia
And award that I received for that
Was two iron crutches

Three of us came from the same village
We were the best guys there
And at the moment in Przemysl
Two of us are rotting in the wet soil

On 7 of December Russian submarine flotilla started convoy hunting in the Baltic. The Germans were too busy with the English navy.

Bubnov starts patrolling the sea

By 8 of December fight for Tarnow wasn't successful at all - Russian forces lost their strategic initiative.

Counterattack stopped

A day later the Tsar was informed, that Gangut, third battleship, was finished. Naval ministry decided to deploy it into the Baltic fleet.

Gangut is ready for battle

December, 10 - Russian armies finally lost exhausting battle of Tarnow. This Galizian city wasn't an easy point to capture.

Epic battle of Koenigsberg also stopped on 12 of December - German had to move a lot of forces to secure the Russian breakthrough, so their offensive in Poland stopped. It could be called Russian tactical victory.

Pyrrhic victory for the Germans

337.jpg

Dead German soldiers near Koenigsberg

160.jpg

Destroyed bridge in Eastern Prussia

On 15 of December the Russians decided to take Biyalostok back - Germans moved a lot of troops to Koenigsberg and many provinces in Poland weren't defended well.

Second Biyalostok operation

By 17 of December Austrians captured Lwow. Russian army in Stryi was about to be taken into the pocket. This maneuverer of the Austrian army was their first successful operation since the start of the war.

Austrians capture Lwow

So, Stryi army had to fight their way to Lwow.

Battle for survive

On 19 of December the Russians managed to win the battle.

Victory, but we have to leave Stryi

And next day the pocket was finally closed. All Russian successes in Galizia were spoilt, the Galizian offensive turned into Galizian tragedy. The Russians had no other chances to save their army as to destroy the Austrians and to leave Stryi.

Horrible situation

On 1 of January the Russians started their desperate fight.

We have to save our corps!

The first year of war ended

1914 Strategic overview

130px-Flag_of_the_German_Empire.svg.png

German front:
That year wasn't successful for the Russian armies. The Tsar lost 90% of Polish territories, strategic cities of Radom and Warsaw. However, there were no tragic casualties and the front stabilized by the end of the year, and the Russians managed to push the Germans out of Baltic area. Also, Russian offensive in Eastern Prussia (Klaipeda and Tilsit captured, Koenigsberg besieged) helped both Russia and France to stop the rushing German armies.

The biggest victory: Battle of Tilsit
The biggest defeat: 1st Battle of Warsaw

The most successful commander:

General von Val, commander of Guard Corps - defeated German armies in the Baltic area, captured Tilsit and Klaipeda.

130px-Flag_of_Austria-Hungary_1869-1918.svg.png

Austro-Hungarian front:

Most of the year this front was the most successful for the Russian Imperial army - Russian forces captured Tarnow, Lwow, Stanislawow, Stryi, Przemysl and a lot of minor towns in Galizia. With taking of Przemysl the Russians broke their enemies' fortification network. Russian generals managed to defeat the Austrians in open combat, but with some tactical mistakes during Autumn campaign all results were spoilt, Russian armies were encircled in Stryi, most of captured cities went to the Austrian hands again.

The biggest victory: Battle of Przemysl
The biggest defeat: Encirclement in Stryi

General Brusilov - his mobile corps didn't lose a single battle during Galizian offensive.

130px-Ottoman_Flag.svg.png

Turkish front:

In the Caucasus the Russian offensive was slow and hard - Russians won all battles, but long, exhausting movements through the mountains worsened the situation and the offensive wasn't effective. Anyway, the Turkish fleet was twice defeated by the Russian Black Sea fleet.

The biggest victory: Battle of Trabzon
The biggest defeat: No defeats, only tactical retreats because of tired soldiers and bad supply

Grand Duke Nicholas Jr. - Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Imperial Army, uncle of the Tsar and supreme commander of the Caucasian front. Led Russian troops in the battle of Trabzon, defeated Ottoman armies.

The war will continue in 1915
Next update: October, 30

Last edited:

scaled.php
Chapter Two: 1915
Part IX: Fight and defend

Nastupaet minuta proschania,
Ty glyadish mne trevozhno v glaza,
I lovlyu ya rodnoe dykhanie,
A vdali uzhe dyshit groza.

Drognul vozdukh tumannyi i siniy,
I trevoga kosnulas' viskov,
I zovet nas na podvig Rossiya,
Veet vetrom ot shaga polkov.

The minute of leave-talking had come
You look in my eyes with anxiety
I feel your breath
While the storm is ready to break out

Blue and smoky air shivered
And disturbance touched my temples
Russia is calling us for battle
Regiments are marching fast

On 2nd of January the Galizian army was saved - Russian troops managed to take Lwow back, and the encirclement was broken. Commanders of 21st and 3rd Army Corps were awarded with St.George's orders.

Our army is free!

In the Caucasus the Turks moved all their forces to Trabzon. They wanted to prevent the Russian invasion, and they managed to do this - tired soldiers of GD Nicholas had to retreat.

It won't be easy to capture Trabzon

397.jpg

Turkish positions

On 6 of January after defeats in Eastern Prussia, the Germans decided to change the command - Erich von Falkenhayn was appointed as new commander.

New Head of Staff

Two days later, the Russian attempt to take Biyalostok back failed.

Biyalostok stills German

On 11 of January new operation in Galizia was announced - this offensive had to retake all Galizian provinces and to stabilize the Austrian front. The main target of the first battle was Tarnopol, because this city was strategically important for the Austrian breakthrough into Russian provinces. Stavka couldn't allow Austrians to attack Eastern Ukraine.

Tarnopol operation

Offensive in Galizia wasn't the single operation that the Russians started in January. With stabilized front HQ decided to continue taking Eastern-Prussian cities, but not to attack Konigsberg - Armies stormed Allenstein.

The Russians head for Allenstein

392.jpg

Christmas in the frontline (Orthodox Christmas is on 7 of January)

On 15 of January the British started naval blockade against German Empire.

That will help us

In the Serbian front things continued going well - Serbia didn't want to surrender and kept some Austrian provinces.

Serbian front

On 25 of January Sikorsky designed new interceptor for the Imperial Air Force - Sikorsky S-20.

New technology

s20-1.jpg

Sikorsky S-20 after the trials

Also, Alexander Kolchak started researching Concentrated Firepower doctrine for the Imperial Navy.

Russian scientific projects, 25 of January

A day later Austrians left Przemysl - Galizian operation went well.

Brusilov is victorious

On 7 of February German navy engaged Russian squadron in Danzig Bay.

Naval battle in the Baltic Sea

125.jpg

Russian heavy cruiser of Baltic fleet

The fight was long and difficult - the German squadron had 25 vessels, while Russian Beltic Fleet consisted of only 20. After desperate battle Russian fleet had to fall back, but tactically it was victory.

The end of battle

German casualties

Russian casualties

Battle of Danzig Gulf showed that the Russian fleet was able to sink German ships. The Russians lost 3 Destroyer flotillas (15 ships), 1 Transport flotilla (5 ships), 1 Light Cruiser (Bogatyr), 4 Heavy Cruisers (Rurik, Admiral Makarov, Rossia, Gromoboi) and 1 Battleship (Imperator Pavel I).
The Germans losses were heavier - 3 DD Flotillas (15 ships), 5 Light Cruisers (Freya, Arkona, Nautilus, Gefion, Bremen), 3 Heavy Cruisers (Hagen, Heimdall, Odin) and 2 Battleships (Mecklenburg, Schwaben).

The war continues
Next update: November, 1 November, 5

Last edited: