• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I couldn't help but notice that some of the above users have gone a bit far with their peace proposals (esp concerned with Balkanising Germany and the Ottomon Empire), as far as I'm concerned the weakest of the Central Powers seems to have been Germany with Austria and the OE actually fighting off the other allies and you pretty well and I hope this will be borne in mind when the time for a epilogue comes.

the reason behind that germany wasnt balkanized was because allies did not reach into german heartland well untill the end of war. but if they did, and Tzar was the one to march to Berlin, i believe, everyone would want have a share of it, of course western allies would want to have united germany to maintain the "ballance of power" but without consensus with the Tzar and the lack strong arm western allies like after ww2, unification of germany wouldn't work. Difference between north germany and south germany are so great, especially then, when many people still remembered times before unification in 1871. Eventually the local goverments would be replaced by different types of geverning, westfalia could become some kind of a workers republic, bavaria taken over by hitlers coup, austria turning fascist to repel both italian and russian influences.

of course the soviet of westfalia would sense it has no chances so it would play low, Russia and Preussen would love to attack, but the western allies would back Westfallen up.
Hitlers bavaria would seek chance to invade in germanic neighbors, probably Austria would be the first, westfalia second, since bavaria is not russia, and westafalia is commie.
So with Hitlers expansionism, it would eventually boil things hot enough for another war, but will western allies support Hitler or the Tzar?

well anyway i can't wait for the aar authors resolution of this :)

Thanks one more time for your superb proposals - let's see what I managed to do with that

The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire

scaled.php
Chapter Four: 1917
Part XXVI: The last steps

Tak gromche, muzyka
Igrai pobedu!
My pobedili!
I vrag bezhit, bezhit, bezhit!

Tak za Tsarya!
Za Rodinu!
Za Veru!
My gryanem gromkoe: Ura! Ura! Ura!

Music, play louder
Play for our victory!
We have won!
And the enemy runs, runs, runs!

So for the Tsar!
For Motherland!
For Faith!
We shout loudly: Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!

Russian offensive against the Germans and the Austrians continued with great success. On 29 of May Krakow surrendered.

Victory at Krakow

ww_austrian_prisoners_01.jpg

Austrian POWs in Krakow

On 1 of June Iasi was in Russian hands. Romania started showing teeth and fought together with Russian army. Austrian group of armies was still strong, but only in paper - really these corps couldn't compete with the Imperial army anymore.

Romanian front, 1 of June

On 4 of June Russian troops triumphantly entered Frankfurt-on-Oder. Kaiser ordered to save Berlin, but there were simply no loyal troops to defend the capital, rich people started evacuation from Berlin, all HQs and ministries left the city two days before. The mood of Berliners was panic - they were shocked and terribly afraid of "hungry Asian hordes from the Urals" - that's how German propaganda showed Russian army. But the Russians didn't worry about their image in German press - they marched.

"The Last Step" - to Berlin! 5 of June

BERLIN IS CAPTURED - 05.06.1917

On 6 of June Berlin was fully controlled by the Russian troops. General Shuvaev was the first one to enter the city on the horseback. Germans had about 14 divisions in Neuruppin, but they couldn't do anything. German government started preparations for capitulation of their Empire...

We're in their capital!

57055055_Dmitry_Shuvaev2.jpg

Shuvaev, the conqueror of Berlin

After only five days German Kaiser sent a diplomat to Russian HQ in captured Berlin. They asked for armistice and proposed peace treaty. German Empire lost the war, her industry, economy, army, fleet, aviation and prestige were ruined. Their Kaiser became hated by his own people. Their flag became a symbol of infamy. The great dream of "the place under the Sun" crushed in the swaps of Poland. Eastern front became a disaster for Germany. Russia simply killed her.

German capitulation, 11 of June

Germany left the bloc, but Austria-Hungary and Ottoman Empire decided to continue fighting. The war wasn't finished yet, and the Russian army had a job to do. German capitulation was celebrated with a brief parade in German capital together with the French and British troops - and then the armies went back to war. Nicholas II, George V and French President personally visited the Parade.

Diplomatic map of Europe after the Armistice of Berlin

308.jpg

Joint Russo-Franco-British parade in Berlin

parad1.jpg

Emperor Nicholas II and his victorious army, Parade in Berlin

On 30 of June, after two weeks of German capitulation, Austria-Hungary surrendered, too. She couldn't survive the fall of Nowy Sacz, and this empire, created by the mighty Habsburgs, fell.

One more enemy down

The last foe to beat was the Ottoman empire. To finally crush the Turks, Stavka launched a heavy 4-directional offensive to defeat the Sultan's army and force him to capitulate.

"General offensive in Anatolia"

Meanwhile, when the war continued in Turkey, Austro-Hungarian national tragedy began. The old empire started to collapce, and everything started with the manifesto of Emperor Karl's abdication. Emperor Nicholas didn't want to make Austria or Germany republics, but their governments were too unpolular amongst the citizens...

Karl is no more Emperor

On 7 of July Austria finally became a republic, and on 8 of July Hungary was independent. Galizia became Russian territory.

The death of the Empire

But Hungary wasn't the last country to be liberated. Russian diplomats forced weak Republican government to grant independence to Serbia and Albania, who were occupied during the war. Serbia united with Montenegro and got a lot of Austrian territories as a compensation, so Serbian king Peter I decided to make his country "The kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes" - the kingdom of Southern Slavs.

Dissolve of Austria-Hungary

Bulgaria didn't want to have the same fate as Austria, and they signed the peace treaty on 12 of July.

Bulgaria ends fighting

Peace treaty with Germany. Versailles palace.

Firstly, Germany liberated Luxembourg and Danzig.

Point one of the treaty

Secondly, Austria had to liberate Czechoslovakia (which became Russian protectorate - note the same color on the map).

Point two of the treaty

Thirdly, all lands of German and Austrian Poland (except Eastern Prussia and Danzig) were given to the Russian Empire, as well as Alsace-Lorrain to France.

Point three of the treaty

The war will finish soon
In the next chapter: End of war with Turkey, post-war diplomatic measures, new geopolitical strategy of Russia
Waiting for your comments
Next update: December, 4

Last edited:
Probably, I can't understand why the devs didn't fix it :) I'll do it soon - and here you should think that they're my protectorate :) BTW, new icons for chapters were updated in the first post.

Ah, the smell of victory in the morning.:D

Excellent victory! Now to finish off the Ottoman Empire and end the Great War once and for all! To Constantinople!

Great updates.

I also think that allensteing (prussia) should become one with russia - because the majority is polish and the only reason it didn't join poland originally was because bolsheviks where marching on warsaw, so they voted fro neutral germany. if there will be no russian germanic stadt... then i say, Tzar will want to save monarchy in germany and secede preussia from the reich :)

(just annex czechoslovakia :D )

Last edited:
I wonder who will win the chaos in Germany. Now that you stomped their asses early, history will change significantly.

Anyway, congrats my friend :).

Well, I'd like to give two proposals regarding Poland and Czechoslovakia. Incorporating them into Russia wouldn't seem a good idea. Poles in Galicia enjoyed a wide array of privelidges - in case of Galician incorporation, you'd have to either extend them to the Congress Kingdom, or restrict them. Both results would be dangerous - first may lead to further liberalisation of the Empire (remember the Bolsheviks are still lurking out there... And remember Alexander II's fate), the second would result in further antagonisation of the Polish population, which in turn may result in open insurrection.

My proposition on the Polish question; release Poland as a puppet kingdom, with Nicholas II crowned as the King of Poland - just like Alexander I did after the Congress of Vienna. Such state should include not only Congress Poland and Galicia, but also Poznan, Bydgoszcz, Katowice, Gleiwitz, Oppeln, Gdynia (which is ahistorical in this scenario - before 1920s the biggest city in there was Władysławowo, not Gdynia), Allenstein and Torun - provinces with high percentage of Polish population. I guess Gdansk would have to remain a Free City, since I believe the Entente would press on such resolution. The Prime Minister of Poland in such case should be Roman Dmowski - IRL he initially supported cooperation with Russia, but when it became apparent Russia has no chance against Germany, he reverted to France, which is not a case in this AAR.

As for Czechoslovakia - I'm not sure if tsarist Russia would be happy to see an ancient Hungarian state being dissolved in favour of a republican Czechoslovakia. Rather, I guess a triumphant Russia would push towards an allied Hungarian Kingdom, stripped of Transylvania, but with Slovakia still in its borders. I'd propose Michael Alexandrovich, Nicholas II's younger brother as the Hugarian king.

And one last thing - the Ottomans. Go for incorporation of whole historical Armenia and occupation of the Straits. Bulgaria could be punished as well - for example, by a behind-the-scenes coup d'etat that would put a Russian-backed tsar on the throne. My candidates would be either one of Ferdinand's sons, or Russian grand duke Cyril Vladimirovich, Alexander II's grandson and the 3rd person in the Russian line of succession.

@SovietAmerika, @loki100: Many thanks :)
@Jedrek: Good idea, but not with Poland. Nicholas would never let Poland go - even with Personal Union with Russia. He probably could release Western (former Austrian and German) Poland, but never lands of Congress kingdom. I'll just give them privileges like their own Constitution and Parliament (if I'm not mistaken it's called Seim). About puppet states - yes, I have an idea to create my own political bloc, but it would be difficult to include Russian Grand Dukes as new kings...Probably I'll wait for some time to let my country rest from the war, and after that I'll return to global politics.

Everybody, thanks for comments, next update will be ready tomorrow (with some surprise for you :) )

Well, I'd like to give two proposals regarding Poland and Czechoslovakia. Incorporating them into Russia wouldn't seem a good idea. Poles in Galicia enjoyed a wide array of privelidges - in case of Galician incorporation, you'd have to either extend them to the Congress Kingdom, or restrict them. Both results would be dangerous - first may lead to further liberalisation of the Empire (remember the Bolsheviks are still lurking out there... And remember Alexander II's fate), the second would result in further antagonisation of the Polish population, which in turn may result in open insurrection.

My proposition on the Polish question; release Poland as a puppet kingdom, with Nicholas II crowned as the King of Poland - just like Alexander I did after the Congress of Vienna. Such state should include not only Congress Poland and Galicia, but also Poznan, Bydgoszcz, Katowice, Gleiwitz, Oppeln, Gdynia (which is ahistorical in this scenario - before 1920s the biggest city in there was Władysławowo, not Gdynia), Allenstein and Torun - provinces with high percentage of Polish population. I guess Gdansk would have to remain a Free City, since I believe the Entente would press on such resolution. The Prime Minister of Poland in such case should be Roman Dmowski - IRL he initially supported cooperation with Russia, but when it became apparent Russia has no chance against Germany, he reverted to France, which is not a case in this AAR.

As for Czechoslovakia - I'm not sure if tsarist Russia would be happy to see an ancient Hungarian state being dissolved in favour of a republican Czechoslovakia. Rather, I guess a triumphant Russia would push towards an allied Hungarian Kingdom, stripped of Transylvania, but with Slovakia still in its borders. I'd propose Michael Alexandrovich, Nicholas II's younger brother as the Hugarian king.

And one last thing - the Ottomans. Go for incorporation of whole historical Armenia and occupation of the Straits. Bulgaria could be punished as well - for example, by a behind-the-scenes coup d'etat that would put a Russian-backed tsar on the throne. My candidates would be either one of Ferdinand's sons, or Russian grand duke Cyril Vladimirovich, Alexander II's grandson and the 3rd person in the Russian line of succession.

I don't think the liberation of Poland would make sense. Too many Russian soldiers fought and died over it. Also, Russia had at least some desire to annex the whole of Poland dating as far back as the Congress of Vienna, where they demanded they be given all of Poland IIRC.
I do agree that the Czar would be most likely to back monarchies against Republics. However, I do also think Russia should have taken East Prussia for itself. Makes no sense that they should give up a territory that many Russian soldiers fought and died over without a lot of international pressure from the Allies, which I don't necessarily see them making. This is because it would punish Germany and the French governments main aim at the Versailles conference was to punish Germany. Also, With out Wilson as a mediating influence, Russia and France would probably outvote Britain, who were only fighting for the Status Quo and might not want to see Russia annex East Prussia because they might think it would make them too powerful. The Russians and the French also did the bulk of the fighting IIRC, so their voice might carry a little more weight.

As for the Ottoman Empire. You should take Constantinople, because Russia always dreamed of taking it. You might decide to partition the Ottoman Empire along much the same lines as what actually happened. France should get Syria, Britain Palestine as a buffer to Egypt, and Russia should get all of or at least the half of Anatolia to connect Constantinople to the rest of the empire. If Russia doesn't take all of Anatolia, maybe give the Southern Half to France or Italy while you keep the northern half.

Last edited:
OK, looking forward to seeing the next update :) The Polish parliament is called Sejm, with "j" instead of "i". ;)

Just one more thing - countless Poles fought in the Imperial army IRL, including officer posts (good example is future general Władysław Anders, who took part in WWI as a Russian cavalry officer), and the battle for Poland was their battle as well. To clear things up - my initial porposal was not to establish an independent Poland, but a puppet state with some degree of autonomy and a joint Polish-Russian government under tsar's direct supervision. If I was to draw up such government for example, I'd surely put Anton Denikin (born in Włocławek in 1872) as a high ranking minister, perhaps even the chief of restored Polish army (just like general Felix von Barth oversaw the formation of the Polnische Wehrmacht in 1916).

OK, I guess my OT ends here. Can't wait to see post-war developments :)

OK, looking forward to seeing the next update :) The Polish parliament is called Sejm, with "j" instead of "i". ;)

Just one more thing - countless Poles fought in the Imperial army IRL, including officer posts (good example is future general Władysław Anders, who took part in WWI as a Russian cavalry officer), and the battle for Poland was their battle as well. To clear things up - my initial porposal was not to establish an independent Poland, but a puppet state with some degree of autonomy and a joint Polish-Russian government under tsar's direct supervision. If I was to draw up such government for example, I'd surely put Anton Denikin (born in Włocławek in 1872) as a high ranking minister, perhaps even the chief of restored Polish army (just like general Felix von Barth oversaw the formation of the Polnische Wehrmacht in 1916).

OK, I guess my OT ends here. Can't wait to see post-war developments :)

So you are talking about an internal arrangement and not releasing Poland as a puppet. If that is the case, it makes a lot more sense. Russia would NEVER have given Poland up willingly, even by releasing it as a puppet. IIRC, Russia lost 40% of its population in OTL when it lost Ukraine, Poland, Belarus. However, I do not know how much of that population lived where and much of that land, minus a large chunk of Poland, was latter retaken by the Soviets. However, I would assume a sizeable amount of that lost population lived in Poland. The only way I could see Russia even considering releasing a puppet Poland would be if threatened with a massive Polish revolt.

Last edited:

scaled.php
Part XXVII: Victory at last

Zapomni zhe nyne
Ty slovo moe:
Voitelyu slava -
Otrada

Pobedoi proslavleno
Imya tvoe:
Tvoi scit na
Vratakh Tsaregrada

And now remember
My words:
Warrior is pleased
With glory

Your name
Is glorified by victory
Your shield is on
Constantinople's gates

On 1 of August general Plewhe was just before Constantinople. His last step was to defeat 1 Turkish division in Izmit and to cross the Bosphorus. Russian commanders wanted to win the war against Ottomans as soon as possible...

Plewhe attacks Izmit

Five days later 2nd Caucasian corps was at the gates of Baghdad. Russian campaign in the Middle East was quite successful too.

Zuev moves out

Meanwhile, in Germany the revolution began. The Tsar didn't want to leave German Empire without a monarch, but his advisor suggested him not to be involved in the conflict. He said:
- Your Imperial Majesty, without Kaiser Germany would be weak, and we don't need strong Germany. Remember that we have some plans about her...
So, without any foreign support, Wilhelm II abdicated and fled to Holland. German Empire was no more...

Germany becomes a republic

melgunov_sergey_sudba_imperatora_nikolaya_ii_posle_otrecheniya_i_011.jpg

Ex-Kaiser

On 14 of August Izmit fell, and Plewhe moved out his corps.

One more victory of Plewhe

In the Middle East the British army said their word - they successfully landed in Palestina and launched a large-scale offensive (just like they did in Croatia in 1915-16). By 27 of August they had Hims in their hands.

English soldiers invade Turkish Middle East

A week passed, and new invasion occurred - Portugal, who was formally in war all these years, landed one division in Antalya and captured Aleppo. It was unexpected help against the Turks.

Portuguese naval operation

With all these successes of Russian, British and even Portuguese forces the Ottomans had to capitulate. They signed a peacy treaty on 6 of October. With this, the Great War was finished after 4 bloody years. Middle-Eastern lands of Turkey were separated between France and Britain, Russia gained Kars, Trabzon and Erzurum in Northern Anatolia.

Ottoman capitulation

Russia finishes mobilization

img_7_20_1_4.jpeg

Russian soldier finally returns home

THE GREAT WAR IS FINISHED!

On 2 of January secret protocol between Russia and Ottoman Empire was signed. The Turks gave Russian Empire Constantinople, the main dream of the Russian Tsars during the centuries. The Sultan realized that the strength of his army isn't equal to Russian, and if Russian Empire started a new war, Turkey would lose more territories. So, finally Istanbul became the Holy city of Constantinople once again.

Triple hoorah for the Russian Constantinople!

gw_constantinople_01.jpg

January of 1918, Russian squadron enters Constantinople

STRATEGIC OVERVIEW OF THE GREAT WAR (1914-1917/18)

cnp_brandenburg_gate_01.jpg

Participants

The Entente

Forces (after mobilization):

Russian Empire: 15,000,000

France: 7,000,000

Great Britain: 4,800,000 + ~ 10,000,000 from dominions

Serbia: 800,000

Montenegro: 85,000

Japan: 100,000

Italy: 5,900,000

Romania: 1,800,000

Portugal: 90,000

Casualties (killed, wounded and captured):

The Central Powers (Triple Union)

Forces (after mobilization):

Germany: 13,500,000

Austro-Hungary: 9,000,000

Turkey: 3,000,000

Bulgaria: 1,000,000

Casualties (killed, wounded and captured):

The war is won!
In the next chapter: Faces of war
Waiting for your comments
Next update: 5-7 of December

Last edited:

scaled.php
Part XXVII: Victory at last

VIDEO-TRIBUTE

[video=youtube_share;KobgTrOCiX4]http://youtu.be/KobgTrOCiX4[/video]​

It was a pleasure to read and the video is an excellent summary for all the effort the Russian Empire put in the war. :) I still hope there will be some post-war developments though...