• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Off/topic: Today the first snow has fallen in my city, hoorah :)

The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire

scaled.php
Chapter Two: 1915
Part XII: Broken dreams

Nas s nim v adu voina svela
Ona druzei ne spishet
Ya byl geroi, rval udila
On byl namnogo tishe

My byli razney vo vsem
Tsitata - led da plamen'
Shmelem kipel ya pod ognem
A on chernel kak kamen'

I razve tolko inogda
Kogda ya naezhayu
On otvechal mne: Erunda
Gospod' nas uvazhaet

We met during the war
Not a good moment to make friends
I was a "hero", willing to fight
He was very silent

We were so different
Naturally - like ice and fire
I was crazy under fire
He was like a stone

And sometimes
When I wasn't happy
He laughed and said: Nonsense, buddy
The Lord respects us

On 25 of April the Germans made a successful counter-assault and captured Siedlce - a Polish town liberated by the Russians a couple of weeks before.

The Germans are back

That step of German commanders was a desperate attempt to save the Eastern front - with French invasion in Colmar and British operations in the Dalmatian coast Kaiser didn't have enough forces to fight well against Russian divisions. Next day, general Zabelin attacked Siedlce.

The Russians are trying to take Siedlce back

On 27 of April the battle for Austrian Bessarabia stopped - the Russians were defeated and Chust wasn't captured. Anyway, for the Germans that victory was Pyrrhic, because their casualties were extremely high.

We have to stop here

333.jpg

The Russians fighting for the outskirts of Chust

By 29 of April German "pocket in Tilsit" was crushed, the enemies didn't manage to blockade Koenigsberg and stop the Russian offensive.

Great success in the Eastern Prussia

239.jpg

Officers of the Imperial army, Tilsit, April 1915

After deblockade of Koenigsberg, Stavka started new strategic operation in the North - attack on Elbing. That city was like the gates of Berlin. Guard Corps and 20th Army Corps attacked from Tilsit, while the main strike group - 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 18th Army Corps - marched from Koenigsberg.

3rd strategic phase of Eastern Prussia offensive

The German HQ realized, that losing Elbing (and whole Eastern Prussia with it) will be critical for their military. They transferred 11 divisions (vs. Russian 21), and long desperate battle began...

The battle of Elbing

155.jpg

German field commanders near Elbing

On 6 of May Austrian resistance at Tarnow was finally broken, and the Russians marched forward.

4th battle of Tarnow is won by the Russian army

On the same day, Zabelin managed to win the battle of Siedlce.

Well done

In the Black sea on 7 of May admiral Ebergard defeated enemy squadron and sunk Ottoman light cruiser Mecidiye.

Russian fleet is victorious

Famous Russian scientist and medic, Ivan Pavlov, started researching new hospital system for the Russian army. Nobel prize winner said: "At the moment my country is at war, and I must be a soldier."

pav-sitt.jpg

Ivan Petrovich Pavlov

Pavlov's hospital doctrine.

On 7 of May the Tsar appointed new navy commander - admiral Ivan Grigorovich. Previous commander, admiral Rusin, became naval advisor in Stavka.

New chief of naval forces of the Empire

Two days later, Russian army in Bessarabia attacked Cernauti, but the battle wasn't in their favor....

Battle of Cernauti

322.jpg

Fire!!!

The war continues
Waiting for your comments
Next update: November, 11

You havent quite broken them yet, but I get a feeling that the Central Powers are really on the ropes. If you can get a couple of good encirclements in, then perhaps they wont be able to recover.

Oooh, finally some "support attacks" rolling in! Intriguing.

Are you planning to roleplay Grigorovich's historical focus on the Baltic to the detriment of the Black Sea?

It appears Germany has the same IC as you. So things are definitely looking good for the Entente on the long term.

However once Serbia falls, the Central Powers will be able to send reinforcements to Turkey. Getting the Ottomans out of the war would be a huge advantage, but seems they are guarding the mountains well, and the British aren't doing too well either. ;)

But maybe now the UK landings and Italy will divert enemy troops and enable you to go on the offensive against the Austrians. Then if that gets Romania on your side, you would have a lot more manouver for offensives.

A very interesting game, though it is often very dissapointing to see Germany not making proper progress through France and Belgium (like now)... :/

there is no way you can force Greece and Romania into the war? :(

But i'm happy that i see, you standing ground against central powers, but i agree with Storm, Ottomans are a must.

@DoomBunny: I can agree with you - CP can't fight effectively on 3 (or even 4 if we mention Turkey) fronts.
@Dachspmg: Yes, Grigorovich will focus on the Baltic fleet.
@Storm501:

IC is nearly the same. It's good, I agree :)

Yeah, the Ottomans are doing well...I suppose they were overpowered a bit, because on DH-development forum there was a topic, in which Turkish weakness was described. The devs decided to fix early-surrendering Turkey and made them quite strong. I won the battles against them many times, but their fresh reinforcements are terrific.

Yeah, if the British could secure their positions in the Balkans, they would:
a) help Sebia and Montenegro
b) force Germans to move a lot of troops to save Austria
c) help me to beat Austrians and bring Romania to the Entente :)

@Deus Eversor: I'll try to make an alliance with Romania as soon as possible. That's my primary objective ;)

Looks like the overall situation for the Central Powers is looking more and more untenable. It will be interesting to see how they fare fighting a war on 3 fronts.

Russia seems to finally be making some steady, but slow progress. Galicia looks stable now, and East Prussia is falling into your hands. I expect that the Russian Army will soon march back into Warsaw as well.

You seem to also be on track to avoid the Russian Revolution as well. Although I can't help but admit, a part of me wants to see the Soviet Union become a reality. :happy:

Good updates.

scaled.php
Part XIII: The war is far from the end

A zhena poplachet
Vyidet za drugogo
Za mogo tovarischa
Zabudet pro menya

Zhalko tolko voiska
Da shiroko polyushko
Zhalko mat'-starushku
Da bulanogo konya

And the wife will cry
And marry another man
Marry my best friend
And will forget about me

I'm sorry only about the army
The wide field
I'm sorry about my old mother
And my dead horse

On 9 of May Russian naval engineer bureaus got orders from admiral Grigorovich to develop new type of battleship to create a new strong fleet. The researches started.

New battleship project

British operation in the Balkans continued - together with Italians they captured a lot of Austrian territories, and Italian army had a chance to invade Austria itself through Tirol.

Operation Rose, 10 of May

On 12 of May of May the Russians took Tarnow. It was a good step to discourage Central Powers, because with Tarnow all Galizia was finally lost.

Austrians lose Tarnow

The situation in Europe changed since 1914. Central Powers had difficult time - blockaded and encircled, they started losing their will to fight. There were many reasons for that - Russian reconquest of Poland & successful offensives in Prussia and Galizia, French/Belgian stative front, brave Serbia and Italo-British joint operation in the Balkans.

Frontlines of Europe by 16 of May

165.jpg

German soldiers leave Eastern Prussia

On 20 of May Russian submarine squadron under command of rear admiral Klochkovsky attacked Turkish convoy fleet. Transport flotilla was sunk.

One more success in the Black sea

Four days earlier the Russians attacked Suwalki, the city defended by only one German division. They didn't have many chances to prevent the Russian offensive. The Polish front was falling westwards every day...

The battle of Suwalki

291.jpg

Russian cavalry in a village near Suwalki

Meanwhile, on 25 of May the Germans defeated Russian army in Tarnow and forced them to retreat. The Tsar was really disappointed with general Berkhman's performance - he took Tarnow 4 times and lost it 4 times...

The Germans are still strong...

272.jpg

Russian POWs, taken after the battle

Defeat at Tarnow showed, that the war was far from the end. German army continued being very, very dangerous opponent for the Russians. By 29 of May Central Powers re-occupied that Galizian city once again.

Tarnow is under their control

But together with successful operation in Galizia the Central Powers got a disaster - Italian vanguard divisions captured Austrian city of Klagenfurt. It was a miraculous sensation - Austria was invaded first time since Napoleonic wars! Austro-Hungary was in great danger...

Italians capture Klagenfurt

attachment.php

Italian infantry

On 30 of May the fortress of Elbing fell - German retreat in Eastern Prussia became a catastrophe. The Germans didn't know how to step that crushing offensive, general Paul von Hindenburg said:

"In 1914 Russians had their Poland. In 1915 we have our Eastern Prussia."

Strategic victory in Eastern Prussia

72.jpg

Russian trophies after fall of Elbing - captured rifles

After that, the next stage of the operation began - German troops in Suwalki and Allenstein were under joint attack of the Russian forces.

The offensive continues

188.jpg

Battle of Suwalki

Battle of Allenstein - von Val does well

The war continues
Next update: November, 12

Looks like the Germans are really beginning to bend now. Perhaps you could force Plock and Torun and encircle some divisions?

Whatever the details, sound the charge and start to drive into the Central powers land!

Quick, encircle the Germans now and ensure a decisive blow to them! Do not let the Central Powers win.

scaled.php
Part XIV: More battles, more deaths

Russkoe pole,
Russkoe pole,
Skol'ko dorog
Proshagat' mne prishlos'.
Ty moya yunost,
Ty moya volya,
To, chto sbylos',
To, chto v zhizni sbylos'.

Ne sravnyatsya s toboi
Ni lesa, ni morya
Ty so mnoy, moe pole
Studit veter visok.
Zdes' Otchizna moya
I skazhu, ne taya,
Zdravstvui, russkoe pole,
Ya tvoi tonkiy kolosok.

Russian field,
Russian field,
How many roads
I had to pass.
You are my youth,
You are my freedom,
My dreams,
Dreams of all my life.

Forests and seas
Cannot compete with you
You're together with me, my field
The wind chills my temple.
Here is my Fatherland
And I have to say:
Hello, my Russian field,
I'm your thin spikelet.

Naval operations of the Black Sea fleet continued. Admiral Ebergard managed to absolutely destroy all supply lines between Turkey and Continental Europe. Every day Turkish and Bulgarian convoys were attacked by the Russian raiders. On 5 of June Ottoman navy tried to engage the Russians, but the battle finished tragically - Russian seamen destroyed battleship Turgut Reis and two light cruisers - Midilli (former German SMS Breslau) and Hamidiye. For poor and outdated Ottoman navy these losses were absolutely terrible.

Strategic victory in the Black Sea

On 7 of June most of Poland was still German-occupied. Russian society wasn't too much happy about this.

Dissent grows

To solve this problem, Stavka decided to attack Warsaw, the key point. Polish capital was well-defended (the Germans used fortifications, built earlier by Tsar's government), but Russian commanders were sure that they had enough forces to defeat the enemy. Warsaw operation began on 19 of June.

We must take Warsaw back

303.jpg

The Russians are getting ready for battle

Two army corps attacked Warsaw - 8th and 15th. General Zabelin was a skilled fighter and Stavka ordered him to lead the assault. Zabelin decided to storm the city from two sides - 8th Army Corps from the north and his own 15th AC from the south.

206.jpg

Russian observing position near Warsaw

Together with Warsaw operation one more battle was planned - on 24 of June troops of Moscow Military District, Grenadier Corps, 11th AC and 14th AC attacked Radom, another important city in Poland.

Radom, 24 of June

But the Germans understood the importance of Warsaw and decided to transfer their corps to the capital, not to Radom - and Zabelin lost the battle. His corps had to retreat.

Warsaw, we'll be back!

But in Radom everything went well - the Germans moved to Warsaw and left Radom without any defense. 20 Russian divisions launched a massive rush, and the Germans had simply nothing to do. General Berkhman, commander of the operation, reported that everything went perfect.

Battle of Radom, the Germans are losing

248.jpg

Brusilov, one of the most efficient commanders during the battle of Radom

On 19 of July 29 Russian divisions smashed the enemy at Plock. That city was earlier captured by Japanese exp. forces, but they lost it soon. The Russian army didn't want to do the same.

Attack on Plock...

...is an absolute success!

On 23 of July German U-boars sunk British liner RMS Lusitania with a lot of American citizens onboard. It was a terrible precedent of unrestricted submarine warfare...Everyone expected, that the USA will join the war - but they didn't

148.gif

The death of Lusitania

Meanwhile, in the Balkans things went very well - British corps entered Austrian city of Graz, Italians captured Innsbruck. Now Vienna was so close...

Operation Rose, Balkan front

dac329e8a722.jpg

English soldiers in Austria

But when Britain was victorious, Serbia wasn't. On 23 of July the Austrians captured Belgrade after bloody 6-hour street fight. The king left the city together with his army. Defeat of Serbia and Montenegro seemed to be almost certain.

Belgrade is lost!!!

Two days later, Russian army took Radom. Polish reconquest went on.

Radom is ours

307.jpg

The Russians enter Radom after a year

The war continues
Next update: November, 13

Last edited:
Looking at the Central powers lines in Poland, they seem very thin. Only Gdynia and Lodz have any real strength in them. Not wishing to jinx anything, but at this rate you have a good chance to be in Berlin by Christmas!

Vienna looks very close to being captured by the Brits. Maybe Austria-Hungary will fall sooner than expected?

@DoomBunny: Yeah, Berlin is close, but it will be dangerous to rush through Eastern Prussia without safe front in Poland, right?
@MastahCheeff117: Maybe, but I think that Vienna won't fall. At the moment Austrians are rapidly redeploying armies from Galizia, and the Germans can strike from the southern Balkans. Austria shouldn't fall so easy ;)

Let's end this war once and for all! On to Berlin! On to Vienna! (And no Russian Civil War pwease)

You forgot Poland Istanbul :D BTW, I don't think it's real to end WW1 in 1915 on Hard - Central Powers look weak, but I believe it's an illusion.

If the CP are real close to falling or cracking, make some "mistakes" - after all, not all wars are 100% successful, even in the end ;)

And by "mistakes" I mean leave some province unguarded, or attack a heavily-fortified province with small numbers of men

Do it in good ol' Russian fashion! Ura! :D

EDIT: And also Falconette, I give you HUGE kudos for your progress in the war so far. I just myself played a game as Russia in 1914, and although I easily halted the German offensive I had very tough battles in which I barely kept my army from being annihilated. I was about to capture Konigsberg by 1919 O_O your feat of 1915 is remarkable in my eyes :D so keep at it!

Last edited:

scaled.php
Part XV: Entente push

Sam Tsar' venchal dragun nagradoy
Dragunskiy kiver otmechal
Nagradoy, Tsarskoyu otradoy
Naveki polk zapechatlen

I pamiatnik tomu est' vechnyi
Shtandart Georgievskiy v stroyu
Pod nim umret dragun bespechnyi
Slozhivshiy golovu v boyu

The Tsar himself awarded the dragoons
Put signs on their shakos
It was a symbol of his pleasure
That our regiment got forever

And here's the ageless sign of that
Standard of St. George
Young careless dragoon
Would die under it

On 29 of July, when Radom was in Russian hands, another target for the offensive was chosen. It was Tarnow, maybe the most unstable town in the war - Russians and Austrians captured it five times for only one year! Tarnow was really important - it was a basic point, from which the Russians could start an offensive push towards both Germany and Austria.

One more battle for Tarnow

During the battle General Staff created new organization plans for Russian cavalry warfare - on the most mobile Eastern front cavalry divisions were still important, and the Russians often used them for the breakthroughs.

New cavalry doctrine

After that, Russian war industry started researches in other sphere - new light cruiser type became the next project.

Naval researches (blueprints are French or British)

While the Russians were storming through trenches of Tarnow, their allies continued fighting for the Balkans. By 10 of August some Austrian divisions were encircled in Salzburg, while the British armies reached Bjelovar (nothern Serbia) and had a real chance to save the Serbs from disaster.

Balkan-Tirol front, Bjelovar is taken, Salzburg is encircled

And then the great event happened - Italian corps crossed undefended German borders and took small borderline-towns of Landshut, Augsburg and even Munich!. It was a fantastic, unbelievable result - Entente forces entered the German lands!!!

Panic in Germany

Cadorna1.jpg

General Cadorna, conqueror of Bavarian Alps

Italian operation in Alps ("Operation Edelweiss") together with British offensive in the Balkans ("Operation Rose") broke Central Powers supply lines. Suddenly, Europe believed that the war would finish very soon...

On 16 of August Russia won Tarnow battle, while Italians took Nurnberg...

Offensive in German Alps continues

After 2 weeks English soldiers, facing no resistance, entered Slovakia and won the battle of Bratislava. Austrian empire was so close to agony and inglorious end...

Bratislava. British.

Frontlines of Europe, 6 September 1915. Austria & Germany suffer enemy invasions, while Russians and French don't let them to save their homelands

On 11 of September Austrians tried to save Tarnow, but failed, their reinforcements were defeated too, Russians were rapidly heading for this Galizian city.

Austrians can't stop us!

252.jpg

Imperial crown prince, HM Alexis, visits Russian army HQ in Galizia

Far, far away from the frontlines, in distant Mexico, general Huerta won the civil war. It was long and bloody fight for him.

Hoorah for Huerta, then

On 16 of September Greece refused to join the Entente (even with British successes in the Balkans against Austria). Diplomacy didn't help the French to involve Greeks into the conflict.

Greece won't join us

KONSTANTIN_I_Gretsiia2.jpg

Constantine I of Greece

On 17 of September Tarnow was finally captured. It could be optimistic news, but the Russians had already captured it five times, so Stavka wasn't enthusiastic about that victory.

Good, we're in Tarnow again

255.jpg

Russian army approaches Tarnow in September

By 18 of September Russian army had enough troops to retake Warsaw. 16 Army Corps consisting of 65 divisions - this power was thrown against German garrison.

Probably, the most terrific battle of 1915

367.jpg

Russian generals preparing for the epic combat

The war continues
Next update: 14-16 November

Last edited: