Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Goons

Goons

So what will happen when the goons find out about this game?

Permadeath+f2p+persistent world=goon magnet. They've caused havoc in a great number of games, even ones as big as Eve Online. I can only immagine what they will be able to do in this game...

Goons tried to run a protection racket in Haven & Hearth, but they were beaten down by a strong alliance and turned to more peaceful ways of playing.

Hordes of drunken Russians are another danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectacle View Post
    Goons tried to run a protection racket in Haven & Hearth, but they were beaten down by a strong alliance and turned to more peaceful ways of playing.
    My fear is that they will make something similar to what they did in Eve online, where they had enough cheap ships to "clog the barrels of our enemies weapons".

You might think an unarmed peasant won't be able to do much, but make it 100 coordinated ones all acting in unison and comming back no matter how many of them you kill. Where as your characters death and destruction of property stays very permament they can just create a new character over and over again.

You need to develop your character to a certain state to even unlock the skills that allow you to attack another player. That wont work in this game.

Goons already know about Haven and Hearth, and they already know about Salem. I would even bet you they will be a part of the alpha/beta testing. For long-term survival in H&H, you need to know how to defend yourself. I expect Salem will be the same. Anyway, in H&H there are worse factions than the Goons. Overall, I think their presence has been positive for H&H.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Lead and GoldMagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Sachaztan View Post
    So what will happen when the goons find out about this game?
    We'll ruin it just like we ruin everything else.

e: tbh barely any goons play H&H these days and there probably won't be a big Salem presence, unless it's a veritable goldmine of pubbie tears.
    Sola Virtus Invicta

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

SA has been on a decline for awhile now (Slowly but surely). As much as I like 'em, management sure knows how to alienate people...

In my opinion (I may be wrong of course) SA fags will be interested in Salem. There are two reasons for that:

1. I know these guys back in UO. Believe it guys, they are NOT just a guild...they are some sort of MMO secret society with its hierarchy, strict rules and traditions. Me and my friend tried to join them, and we actually did once, but they found our plans out (somehow) and kicked us out of the guild. UO is quite broing now, because it does not allow you to represent everything that a perfect MMO would. UO is an incomplete game as well, back in 97/98 OSI were planning a huge sandbox features for UO (including pickable house door locks, which is actually written in the release manual) but since there were tons of problems with connection, PK rage, bugs and other issues most of these great sandbox ideas were let go and the devs began to develope the game in a completely different way, turning it eventually into Trammel. Salem offers much more freedom than UO does, which is definately goon style and goons will be able to make a perfect underworld organization in Salem, what they've tried to do in many games, but since most of the games are quite limited (even very sandboxish ones) they never felt quite enough freedom et cetera. Salem sounds like it suits them more.

2.They are bane of any MMO game and with permadeath feature their protection racket and smuggling stuff will be very popular. They actually did some protection racket in UO and few shopkeepers were paying them tribute..but these were very weak players, because, as I said, UO offers little freedom and Salem offers quite a lot so their "offer that you can't refure" will be more effective in Salem..at least it should be.

3.Not really a reason, but since I know Goons at some point, most of them are pimps. They like to dress their characters with various clothing and different colors et cetera. UO is a perfect game for that. H'n'H sucks here, because all the players, rich or poor look equally. Salem offers various kind of the colonial century stuff to dress your char with. English suits etc. Kinda suits their mafia-style gameplay.

With all that being said, I am afraid that you guys should be bothered about Goons, because I highly doubt that you will be able to organize as powerful community as Goons are to have an opposite force against them. Goons exist for a while now and they are very organized, as I said, with its hierarchy and stuff. Not many of them even know most of their secrets. For example, you will NEVER...again..you will NEVER see or hear their leader or high-ranked members to give out orders directly to somebody. Instead they do it (as far as I know from spying on them in UO and some other games) in a chain..one gave it to another, that one gave to another etc so that when you guys gonna cry and break your keyboards on forums you wont be able to accuse key members of their community..you will only know little names, usually those who COMMITED the criminal act, but not those, who stand behind all this.

Think about that people..I know what I am talking about.

P.S. THe information above is not only from my personal experience..I was talking to some ex-goon members who also told me what they know. Again, most of the members don't even know about the structure of their society...only high-ranked members are most "enlightened" ones. Good luck
    Last edited by Bad Karma; 21-10-2011 at 17:06.

Btw, most high ranked members are known as honest players, or at least that they are not goons, because even the majority of goons do not know those, who are ruling that crime machine. I know that because once in one game, on one server, one day, a guy, who was very famous and was known as a honest player was exposed. People learned that he's one of the goons and since then he became one of the most hated members, because he was using cheats and he told the goon riders the locations of spots where ppl could be found, houses looted or where events were going so he could spy for them etc. What happened to that dude next I am not sure..but I heard that he was either kicked out of the goonswarm, because they no more needed him, cuz he was exposed...or that he started another char with another name.

Sounds like Bad Karma is a member of Something Awful forums.

Heh.

Naw...I actually want to make my own trade guild in Salem. Not sure if I will have enough free time/spur/will to play but thats one of my ideas. Why would I try to expose them if I was one of them lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
    Naw...I actually want to make my own trade guild in Salem. Not sure if I will have enough free time/spur/will to play but thats one of my ideas. Why would I try to expose them if I was one of them lol?
    You were posturing them as the video game equivalent of the Illuminati.

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    They should get a life... And we should be able to train dogs in the game to deal with low level griefers. Just like in real life.

"Our officers of cavalry have acquired a trick of galloping at everything. They never consider the situation, never think of manoeuvring before an enemy, and never keep back or provide a reserve."

"I didnít want to change society. I wanted to give society a chance to determine if it should change itself."

"Jeszcze będzie przepięknie."

Cities in MotionDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

These dogs actually seem to be a good idea :-D Just imagine it...a thief carefully opening doors using lockpicks just to get gangbanged by ten dogs :-D

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    If you keep supporting my idea, they will make the dogs premium... ;-)
    "Our officers of cavalry have acquired a trick of galloping at everything. They never consider the situation, never think of manoeuvring before an enemy, and never keep back or provide a reserve."

"I didnít want to change society. I wanted to give society a chance to determine if it should change itself."

"Jeszcze będzie przepięknie."

Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

If there are no goons why should groups, villages, towns, etc form? If you aren't afraid of anyone, you might as well just live in the woods alone.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Al. I. Cuza View Post
    If there are no goons why should groups, villages, towns, etc form? If you aren't afraid of anyone, you might as well just live in the woods alone.
    Wouldn't the environment be dangerous? It's not like the immigrants of old made villages because there were marauding bands of goons around. No, they were looking for comfort, sociality, and the protection and assistance of a village.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Goons knew about Salem before you did. Hope this helps.

Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    Wouldn't the environment be dangerous? It's not like the immigrants of old made villages because there were marauding bands of goons around. No, they were looking for comfort, sociality, and the protection and assistance of a village.
    Did they though? I was under the impression that most pioneers just wandered west on their own to claim land, make it habitable, sell it to the next group and press on.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast