• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It was bought from Direct2drive, and no i did not install it at steam at the time because direct2drive had a download link themself. however certain circumstances make it more convenient to have it on steam (auto update, achievements and the like)

Well, you can only install Steam games on Steam. Taleworlds will let you install their game with any installer as long as you got the code, but Steam is under no obligation to let you use Steam functions if you haven't given them their due part.

In short - if you want to install using Steam, you need to buy the disc version (which uses Steam) or buy a copy from Steam. (Wait for a sale)

You can, of course, install your D2D or Taleworlds version of the game and then add it to Steam as a "non-Steam game". This should allow you to access the chat interface, but you'll not have access to achievements...for that you need to buy through Steam.

this happened to me i bought my physical copy of warband and it doesnt work on steam

Hello TheErikosha,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Could you please PM me the CD-key and we will check why it does not work with Steam.

//BjornB

same problem here, with warband and with fire and sword
can I pm you?

Sorry I did not reply sooner. Are you having problem with adding physical copies in steam?

Hi.
I've got kind of the same problem.
I had bought Warband from GamersGate (and got 4x4 key from them) when it was just released, registered it both here and on taleworks forums, but never thought of activating it on Steam.
Now I just bought the Napoleon Wars DLC through GamersGate as well, and tryed to activate either of them on Steam, as it seems to be an "ingame regiment recruitment" requirement, but I'm unable to activate either of my keys there, it says "Invalid Product Code".
Does it mean, that I'll have to buy Warband and Napoleon Wars on Steam as well, if I want to have them in my Steam library?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi! I got a 6x4 key from the manual which does not work while installing. The steam installer does not accept it. The steam support says I get the proper key from paradox. Is it right? Could you send me the key or where do I get it? Unfortunately in the forums I only found solutions for 4x4 and 5x5 keys.

Don't know what you mean exactly.
1) I've started the installation on the CD. Steam starts and wants a product code. Entering the printed key results in a error message: "invalid product code". Installation stops.
2) In the steam program: "activate a product at steam...". After entering the printed product code: message occurs: "invalid product code"
3) In the steam program: "adding a non-steam game...". Some of my games appear, but not M&B. Of course, it's not installed yet.
Maybe my translation of some steam phrases are not correct.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or is steam just sh.. ?

Please help

Edit: My activation code contains small letters. Steam only inserts capital letters. Is this the fault?

Last edited:
Okay. I don't know how to help you I'm afraid. But if you check out/post in the Taleworlds forum I believe they have a good track record of solving these issues

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,6.0.html

I really hope it works out.

Best regards
BjornB

Hi! I got a 6x4 key from the manual which does not work while installing. The steam installer does not accept it. The steam support says I get the proper key from paradox. Is it right? Could you send me the key or where do I get it? Unfortunately in the forums I only found solutions for 4x4 and 5x5 keys.

Your problem seems to be the same as this threads, it seems: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,223985.0.html

It should have been fixed by now, but I guess it might not have worked for everyone.

So you should email your CD Key to support@taleworlds.com to let them know that there problem persists and that you want a new key as a workaround since an official fix hasn't been finalized with Steam.

You'll just have to wait. If you asked the ZenDesk, expect about 3 days+ till reply. Mine took a week.

Today I got a new activation key. I hope the game will run now...
For all who have the same problem like me (bought the game at Saturn or Amazon.de) :
You will get the proper key from hotline(at)kochmedia.com
Thanks for your advices