• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Welcome to this weeks dev diary for A House Divided! This time we are going to talk about the new system for declaring war.

Instead of the old system where you either have a casus belli or have to spend infamy to declare war you can now manufacture new casus bellis yourself. This is something that takes time and you can only do one at a time. The time it takes to produce a CB is dependent on a number of factors: relations, national status (uncivilized nations have an easier time to declare war on other lesser countries for example), your governments military policy, cultural tech level and the actual type of casus belli you want all matter. You can no longer declare war without a valid CB, but you will still be able to add more war goals once a war has broken out. If you lack CBs for this you will however accumulate infamy in the same way as before.

dd3_1.png

While we are working on justifying a war only you and your allies can see what you are up to unless it is somehow detected. There is a daily chance for this in which case it will be know to the world (in a new tab in the diplomacy screen), giving your target time to prepare. During creation several events can happen that modify the speed of completion, both to make it go faster, or to really slow down your efforts. Things like your press reforms matter a lot here, so as a peace-loving democracy with free press don't expect to be able to keep your plans for conquest hidden.

dd3_2.png

There are still going to be a few random events like border friction, but they will be much less common now with the new system.

While we are on the topic we have also added some new wargoal types, you will for example now be able to declare war on your master as a puppet and fight for freedom. A chance to shake off the shackles of outside control and a quite nasty prestige hit on your old master (prestige effects will now scale instead of being a fixed effect so prestige modifying wargoals should still be quite potent late game from now on).

See you again next week when we will be talking about some new political tools you can use as a player.

First!

How will the status quo wars hadle? Will atacker loose CB if quo enforsed?

Also how would alleis react to you creating wargoals?

Will we be able to create sort of "coalition" when country X and Country Y both cook wargoals against country C?

Will we get some general info on what exactly are the AIs dimplomatic intrests?

Last edited:
I really like this new system. It will probably make it easier for modders to guide countries to historical outcomes as well.

Nice new system, but what about single-province cbs?
I don't know about taking individual provinces, but a friend and I were talking about those wars that spend 20 infamy for one-province states(like Nice under S-P).

A state is usually made up of 4 provinces, so what if Paradox just made wars cost 2.5 infamy per province? Most states would fall under 10 infamy each, some small ones would be justified better, and bigger ones (like France's Providence has 5 (6 if you count Nice) provinces) would be justified too. It's still a whole-state system, but for Nice or other internationally divided states it would be a Godsend.

Then the Conquest CB could follow the same rule, except, say, at 150% the cost. So... a three province state would cost (2.5*3)*1.5 = 11.25 infamy rather than a whooping 20 as it is now.

Just some very wishful thinking for new content. :)

Ok I am confused

You can no longer declare war without a valid CB

If you lack CBs for this you will however accumulate infamy in the same way as before.

So can we or not declare war without a CB, like in vanilla Victoria ? If not will, will it be impossible for a conquer the world and ignore infamy rampage? And will make democratic nation unviable for aggressive expansions?

Ok I am confused

So can we or not declare war without a CB, like in vanilla Victoria ? If not will, will it be impossible for a conquer the world and ignore infamy rampage? And will make democratic nation unviable for aggressive expansions?

You cannot declare a war without CB, you can add wargoals to an already declared war just as before.

*works on fabricating a CB against PI - Force Release of AHD*

opps .. i was discovered! stupid free press :x

It's not free press, it's censored. Me and the other demi-mods are the censors. I think this:
(prestige effects will now scale instead of being a fixed effect so prestige modifying wargoals should still be quite potent late game from now on)
is going to be great for gameplay.

A state is usually made up of 4 provinces, so what if Paradox just made wars cost 2.5 infamy per province? Most states would fall under 10 infamy each, some small ones would be justified better, and bigger ones (like France's Providence has 5 (6 if you count Nice) provinces) would be justified too. It's still a whole-state system, but for Nice or other internationally divided states it would be a Godsend.

Then the Conquest CB could follow the same rule, except, say, at 150% the cost. So... a three province state would cost (2.5*3)*1.5 = 11.25 infamy rather than a whooping 20 as it is now.

Sounds like a great idea.

Scaled prestige effects sound great.

On the subject of seeing allies war justification progress, is there any way a GP ally can stop a minor or a spheree? Many a time have I been called to war when I should have had the chance to tell them to stop.

Hopefully there will be a world conquest war justification ;)

However, I see there a slow down for conquers, but also more plausibility. Especially when I get allies onto board before war starts ( and setting the alliance war goals ).
And will there be changes at war score peace deals ? At the moment, it's quite expensive to get big states from big countries or any other, changes at the costs ?...
Are there changes at war goals ? like release whole ukraine from russia or whole canada from UK at once ...
Are there new war goals ? like uniting Iberia, uniting south america, uniting arabic league ( I believe it was metternich, who said, that Italy is only geographic term ...), or dismantle their industries ? or destroying factories through war ?

And will be a high infamy ever be a bigger harm for big empires ?

However, like for more plausibility

edit:
oh, and will be there a bonus for the fight of independance ? normally it's hardly possible to beat as minor your master, except with some motivation and maybe an ally ...

Last edited: