+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AHD DD3 – War Justifications

Oberkommando HOI4 Paradox Dev Team podcat's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

AHD DD3 – War Justifications

Welcome to this weeks dev diary for A House Divided! This time we are going to talk about the new system for declaring war.

Instead of the old system where you either have a casus belli or have to spend infamy to declare war you can now manufacture new casus bellis yourself. This is something that takes time and you can only do one at a time. The time it takes to produce a CB is dependent on a number of factors: relations, national status (uncivilized nations have an easier time to declare war on other lesser countries for example), your governments military policy, cultural tech level and the actual type of casus belli you want all matter. You can no longer declare war without a valid CB, but you will still be able to add more war goals once a war has broken out. If you lack CBs for this you will however accumulate infamy in the same way as before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dd3_1.png
Views:	14708
Size:	605.2 KB
ID:	41039

While we are working on justifying a war only you and your allies can see what you are up to unless it is somehow detected. There is a daily chance for this in which case it will be know to the world (in a new tab in the diplomacy screen), giving your target time to prepare. During creation several events can happen that modify the speed of completion, both to make it go faster, or to really slow down your efforts. Things like your press reforms matter a lot here, so as a peace-loving democracy with free press don't expect to be able to keep your plans for conquest hidden.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dd3_2.png
Views:	14714
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	41038

There are still going to be a few random events like border friction, but they will be much less common now with the new system.

While we are on the topic we have also added some new wargoal types, you will for example now be able to declare war on your master as a puppet and fight for freedom. A chance to shake off the shackles of outside control and a quite nasty prestige hit on your old master (prestige effects will now scale instead of being a fixed effect so prestige modifying wargoals should still be quite potent late game from now on).

See you again next week when we will be talking about some new political tools you can use as a player.
    Reject reason to make the impossible possible!

First!

How will the status quo wars hadle? Will atacker loose CB if quo enforsed?

Also how would alleis react to you creating wargoals?

Will we be able to create sort of "coalition" when country X and Country Y both cook wargoals against country C?

Will we get some general info on what exactly are the AIs dimplomatic intrests?
    Last edited by 1alexey; 14-10-2011 at 13:27.

Looks nice. Will the speed of creating CBs increase in every country over time, or will advances help slow down the manufacture of CBs against you?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

funny I was just reading up on the war on terror and it’s justification
    FACTA NON VERBA - DEEDS NOT WORDS

200k clubCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Nice new system, but what about single-province cbs?
    1 Clerk
    Nationality: Catalan
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Liberal
    Issues: Protectionism / 5 Hour Max Work Day
    Current Work: Cement Factory
    Cash Reserves: Enough
    Revolt Risk: 1.8%
    Militancy: 4.3
    Consciousness: 7.8

Quote Originally Posted by CatalanNation View Post
    It was said NO long ago.
    For gameplay reasons.
    But i wouldn`t mind tool to re-map regions in-game.

Spme regions can make sence from wiev of one state(say Russia) but be totally ugly and non-acceptable for say Ukraine.

Fantastic! How will it work for the country that finds out though? Will they be forced to just build up and hope for the best or can they do things to discourage a manufactured CB? Do they get a CB in return?

71 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyDeus VultVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I really like this new system. It will probably make it easier for modders to guide countries to historical outcomes as well.
    Sages such as Yao and Shun and Tyrants such as Chieh and Chou come but once a thousand generations. Mediocrities follow on the heels of each other; the rulers of the world are invariably among them. -- Han Fei Tzu
    When the lips are gone, the teeth are cold. -- Han Fei Tzu
    I have not been tested (with the responsibility of high office), so I have learned many (lesser) skills. -- Confucius
    Simplified characters are an abomination. -- Me

The cost of Steam:
    PI games not bought because of Steam: 20
    PDS games not bought because of Steam: 1

PDS games bought despite Steam: 1

Major
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

*works on fabricating a CB against PI - Force Release of AHD*

opps .. i was discovered! stupid free press :x

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by CatalanNation View Post
    I don't know about taking individual provinces, but a friend and I were talking about those wars that spend 20 infamy for one-province states(like Nice under S-P).

A state is usually made up of 4 provinces, so what if Paradox just made wars cost 2.5 infamy per province? Most states would fall under 10 infamy each, some small ones would be justified better, and bigger ones (like France's Providence has 5 (6 if you count Nice) provinces) would be justified too. It's still a whole-state system, but for Nice or other internationally divided states it would be a Godsend.

Then the Conquest CB could follow the same rule, except, say, at 150% the cost. So... a three province state would cost (2.5*3)*1.5 = 11.25 infamy rather than a whooping 20 as it is now.

Just some very wishful thinking for new content.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Ok I am confused

Quote Originally Posted by podcat View Post
    You can no longer declare war without a valid CB
    Quote Originally Posted by podcat View Post
    If you lack CBs for this you will however accumulate infamy in the same way as before.
    So can we or not declare war without a CB, like in vanilla Victoria ? If not will, will it be impossible for a conquer the world and ignore infamy rampage? And will make democratic nation unviable for aggressive expansions?
    The Eternal State - a DH-KR Ottoman AAR - Dropped due to health reasons

Struggle for the Mediterranean - a BOR Punic War MP AAR
    - Dropped due to AGEOD leaving Paradox

One of these days I will actually finish an AAR

"Holy Roman Empire. Neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. But it doesn't have any oil so no reason for military intervention" -Voltaire.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrider View Post
    Ok I am confused

So can we or not declare war without a CB, like in vanilla Victoria ? If not will, will it be impossible for a conquer the world and ignore infamy rampage? And will make democratic nation unviable for aggressive expansions?
    You cannot declare a war without CB, you can add wargoals to an already declared war just as before.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

the second quote is about expanding your wargoals, not to starting wars

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    the second quote is about expanding your wargoals, not to starting wars
    Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    You cannot declare a war without CB, you can add wargoals to an already declared war just as before.
    Oh ok, you are right, my bad.
    The Eternal State - a DH-KR Ottoman AAR - Dropped due to health reasons

Struggle for the Mediterranean - a BOR Punic War MP AAR
    - Dropped due to AGEOD leaving Paradox

One of these days I will actually finish an AAR

"Holy Roman Empire. Neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. But it doesn't have any oil so no reason for military intervention" -Voltaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoschan View Post
    *works on fabricating a CB against PI - Force Release of AHD*

opps .. i was discovered! stupid free press :x
    It's not free press, it's censored. Me and the other demi-mods are the censors. I think this:
    (prestige effects will now scale instead of being a fixed effect so prestige modifying wargoals should still be quite potent late game from now on)
    is going to be great for gameplay.

BL-logic
    Event Team Leader
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold War
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneV2 AHD BetaPride of Nations
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Giordano View Post
    A state is usually made up of 4 provinces, so what if Paradox just made wars cost 2.5 infamy per province? Most states would fall under 10 infamy each, some small ones would be justified better, and bigger ones (like France's Providence has 5 (6 if you count Nice) provinces) would be justified too. It's still a whole-state system, but for Nice or other internationally divided states it would be a Godsend.

Then the Conquest CB could follow the same rule, except, say, at 150% the cost. So... a three province state would cost (2.5*3)*1.5 = 11.25 infamy rather than a whooping 20 as it is now.
    Sounds like a great idea.
    Game Developer East vs West - Event&Decision Team Leader
    Unless stated otherwise, the content of the above post is my personal opinion only.

Utilities:
    Victoria 2 Pop Maker Utility: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Maker-Utility
    Victoria 2 Order Of Battle Maker Utility:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Maker-Utility
    Victoria 2 Savegame Analyser Utility: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?638277-Victoria-2-AHD-Savegame-Analyser

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Scaled prestige effects sound great.

On the subject of seeing allies war justification progress, is there any way a GP ally can stop a minor or a spheree? Many a time have I been called to war when I should have had the chance to tell them to stop.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in Motion 2Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSword of the StarsRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Rise of Prussia500k club

"They are coming right for us!"

Oh god I laughed
    "Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"

- Voltaire

Hopefully there will be a world conquest war justification

However, I see there a slow down for conquers, but also more plausibility. Especially when I get allies onto board before war starts ( and setting the alliance war goals ).
    And will there be changes at war score peace deals ? At the moment, it's quite expensive to get big states from big countries or any other, changes at the costs ?...
    Are there changes at war goals ? like release whole ukraine from russia or whole canada from UK at once ...
    Are there new war goals ? like uniting Iberia, uniting south america, uniting arabic league ( I believe it was metternich, who said, that Italy is only geographic term ...), or dismantle their industries ? or destroying factories through war ?

And will be a high infamy ever be a bigger harm for big empires ?

However, like for more plausibility

edit:
    oh, and will be there a bonus for the fight of independance ? normally it's hardly possible to beat as minor your master, except with some motivation and maybe an ally ...
    Last edited by AlknicTeos; 14-10-2011 at 13:31.
    I really like state capitalism in vic2. A Party without can't stay in power.

My first AAR - The 3 nations of the world
    OMG, Chuck Norris @ wow spot and when MacGyver should ever make a commercial for wow I would play it again

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Kalelovil View Post
    Sounds like a great idea.
    Yeah, that would be a very good idea.

And good on the scaling prestige effects!
    Raph: 1 Beuraucrat
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: N/A
    Ideology: Communist - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Are you a leftist too? Join the Red Paradoxians!
    Issues: Planned Economy/Full Citizenship
    Current Work: Student
    Cash Reserves: 0£
    Revoltrisk: 50%
    Militancy: 5 (+0.15)
    Counsciousness: 10 (+1.00)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast