• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's time again, to fan the flames of speculation, chagrin and wonderment!

This week, I'll speak of buildings. In Crusader Kings, as you probably remember, you could build improvements in your counties; things like a library, a road network or money lenders. These would unlock as technology advanced in the county, and, once built, would improve stuff like taxation, defensibility and levy size. Crusader Kings II, not to be outdone by its predecessor, has a very similar system, except you do not build improvements per county, but per Holding (i.e. the baronies within a county. In Crusader Kings II, your Demesne does not consist of a number of counties, but of Holdings.)

You can click on any Holding in the game to inspect which improvements it has, the size and composition of its levy and garrison, its fortification level and its base tax. If the Holding is part of your own demesne, you can build new improvements there (if any are available and you can afford them.) Castle, City and Church type holdings have different sets of buildings consistent with their role (remember, for example, that Cities are burgher dominated, rich, with sizable ship levies, and so on.) Not only that, but many cultures have their own slightly different sets of buildings. Thus, some Mongol Castle improvements will increase the number of Horse Archers, whereas the corresponding German type would increase the number of Knights.

Another nifty feature of the Holding View is that you can change the name of the Holding if its lord is your subject - this has no effect on the gameplay, of course, but it's still fun (especially in multiplayer.) Naturally, you can also rename counties.

Crusader_Kings_2_DevDiary_111013.png

That's all for now. Until next week!

I think that Stockholm won't be able to build as many holdings as Constantinople and while Stockholm will have a maximum of perhaps 3 holdings Constantinople will have a maximum of 8.
He is talking about Constantinople the holding, aka the city itself, not the county of Byzantium or whatever the province is called.

So to summarize:

1) A holding works exactly like a CK1 province, expect that it does not appear on map.

2) The only differences between one holding from another of the same type are the improvements built.

3) If Johan's screen is correct, with "wooden palisade," and "dry moat" being options for a castle-barony, there are dozens of these, which will make Constantinople a much different City-Barony then Stockholm.

4) Counts will not be happy if you give them a County but keep one of the Baronies for yourself, and will have a valid CB on you.

Nick

I certainly hope it is dungeon. In the sense that my spymaster can do terrible things to people in said dungeon to unveil plots.

(And so I can smirk at the screen and say "Well at least I didn't use a SPOON")
Un donjon is the highest tower in castle. English speaking people like to use French words from time to time, I suppose that makes them feel like they speak a proper language ^^.

Ah, well we always have great modders in the commuinty and this is easy to mod right(unique buildings for 1 kingdom is possible to mod(?)).

Well presumably there's still Defensiveness modifiers, so one could give a local permanent Modifier to the city. That brings me to a very related question of modding.. Are local modifiers applied to a county, the barony or are there seperate levels so there's now both of those and national ones? Understandably a famine would hit more than one town, but other specific things (like the Walls of Constantinople) wouldn't make any difference for another city in Thrace. :)

I suppose that makes them feel like they speak a proper language ^^.

ಠ_ಠ What is this? I don't even..

Go back to your grammatically muddled mess. Master Language ignoring the universal useless traditions of both arbitrary counters and gendered words FTW (both of which have at least one of them present in all other languages to some degree). I say this as a Swede with Wallonian (French Belgium) heritage and a french surname. ;) One can hardly blame the english for being subject to Norman tyranny and disdain of the local culture!

*Wanders off muttering foul things under one's breath about the Normans severing the whole region from the Nordic sphere*

Last edited:
Un donjon is the highest tower in castle. English speaking people like to use French words from time to time, I suppose that makes them feel like they speak a proper language ^^.

Language? French is an actual language? Wow, never knew, thought it was a dialect ;)

Awesome as always... or, actually, more awesome than other DDs, as this one shows a notably new mechanic.

8 Settlement names per Province, summed with the possibility to rename them (as well as the province per se) will add a lot for both immersion and AARs (...and modding). THe research may be quite hard in some regions, though...

You also said the cultural diferences will be mostly on the big groups. Can we still expect (or at least mod in) differences between, say, the Germans, the Iberians and the British settlements?

And, some questions:
1)The capital of every county(ie, ruled by a Count rather than a Bishop or a Doge) has to be a Castle?
2)The count of a county is always the "baron" of its capital? The same for Bishops/Bishophorics and Doges/Cities.
3)Can a dynastic character (say, the Count of a province) be, at the same time, the "mayor" of a city within his own county (ie, a City or a Church can be part of a demesne?)?
4)If not, can we build buildings inside cities whose mayors are our vassals?
If we can't control Cities nor choose the buildings inside our "vassal" cities, it will be quite hard to specialize or even use properly the building system outside the Military settlements... but, anyway, it's looking quite awesome. I can imagine the italian cities to be FULL of little villages and churchs in the last years (it will not be hard to find names for them in this region, I'm quite sure).

Oh, and with such multiplicity of small holdings, I can see space for quite a lot of the surnames posted in the "Get your name in Cursader Kings II" thread.

And, some questions:
1)The capital of every county(ie, ruled by a Count rather than a Bishop or a Doge) has to be a Castle?
2)The count of a county is always the "baron" of its capital? The same for Bishops/Bishophorics and Doges/Cities.
3)Can a dynastic character (say, the Count of a province) be, at the same time, the "mayor" of a city within his own county (ie, a City or a Church can be part of a demesne?)?
4)If not, can we build buildings inside cities whose mayors are our vassals?
If we can't control Cities nor choose the buildings inside our "vassal" cities, it will be quite hard to specialize or even use properly the building system outside the Military settlements... but, anyway, it's looking quite awesome. I can imagine the italian cities to be FULL of little villages and churchs in the last years (it will not be hard to find names for them in this region, I'm quite sure).

1. Nobles are military leaders, so they might have to hold at least one castle. Not known exactly.

2. The Count of a county is always the Baron of its capital.

3. Yes, a dynastic character can hold cities and bishophrics, but less efficiently than a burgher major and a bishop. It seems that once you're a major or bishop, you're out of the succession game. At least if you do not hold a higher title at the same time - a Count can be reduced to one city for instance but will still be able to inherit.

4. You cannot build in a demesne of another ruler, albeit you can demand the holding from him, and have claim to take it by force if you hold the county. You can prop him up with money though.

I like the fact that characters can be, for example, an English lord but have French holdings. Ala John of Gaunt who owned about 30 castles in France or some damn thing.

But I did have a question, apologies if it has already been asked. But will English, Scottish or Irish 'counts' be known as Earls as they were in an earlier DD? Or will that tier just have the generic Count as it was in CKI?

I like the fact that characters can be, for example, an English lord but have French holdings. Ala John of Gaunt who owned about 30 castles in France or some damn thing.
From the pictures I've seen I kinda doubt if even an emperor would be able to have a demesne of 30 castles though...

From the pictures I've seen I kinda doubt if even an emperor would be able to have a demesne of 30 castles though...
if you owned 30 castles in one province the game would abstract that away into one very big castle though wouldnt it? so it could happen.

Is it possible to reset the name to its default without looking it up?

Sorry, Senate, you'll be stuck with Rome as "Colonia Lucia Annia Commodiana"!

*Coughs* ..Anyhow, yeah, I could see letting it revert to previous names in it's History file (since stuff like that is recorded. Re-type something in EU3 and check the Save afterwards). :)

This is a DD I have been eagerly awaiting! I have a few questions:

1.) It appears that local modifiers are by province and not holding, correct? The river icon appears to be a province-wide modifer.

2.) What do the green and blue borders around the holdings represent? Does green indicate a holding your character owns? And blue indicates a vassal, in the case of this king?

3.) What do the right and left arrows on the holding screen do? Does that cycle through each holding?

I'll definitely miss seeing the buildings from CKI, but CKII will definitely add a lot more complexity to buildings!!

And, some questions:

I think it was Doomdark that replied to me in a recent thread, maybe the buildings dev diary, that counts can control cities, but with reduced income from them. I'll assume the same goes for church holding.

As I understand it, cities and churches can easily be the county capitals. After all, if counts can control them, and there are republics and bishoprics, it would be weird if it wasn't possible.

But I did have a question, apologies if it has already been asked. But will English, Scottish or Irish 'counts' be known as Earls as they were in an earlier DD? Or will that tier just have the generic Count as it was in CKI?
What is surprising for a Plantagenet to have 30 castle in France ? They were French...

With the inclusion of mayors it would certainly seem like it, though I guess the Italian "mayors" especially in CKII will be representing urban aristocrats as much as non-noble burghers.

that doesnt seem right. bughers and peasents with noble surnames, of random noble, probably already established, noble dynasties marrying nobles and generally acting, working, having the responsibilities/privileges and generally being treated as nobles?

can anything be done about the spamming thing?