• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's time again, to fan the flames of speculation, chagrin and wonderment!

This week, I'll speak of buildings. In Crusader Kings, as you probably remember, you could build improvements in your counties; things like a library, a road network or money lenders. These would unlock as technology advanced in the county, and, once built, would improve stuff like taxation, defensibility and levy size. Crusader Kings II, not to be outdone by its predecessor, has a very similar system, except you do not build improvements per county, but per Holding (i.e. the baronies within a county. In Crusader Kings II, your Demesne does not consist of a number of counties, but of Holdings.)

You can click on any Holding in the game to inspect which improvements it has, the size and composition of its levy and garrison, its fortification level and its base tax. If the Holding is part of your own demesne, you can build new improvements there (if any are available and you can afford them.) Castle, City and Church type holdings have different sets of buildings consistent with their role (remember, for example, that Cities are burgher dominated, rich, with sizable ship levies, and so on.) Not only that, but many cultures have their own slightly different sets of buildings. Thus, some Mongol Castle improvements will increase the number of Horse Archers, whereas the corresponding German type would increase the number of Knights.

Another nifty feature of the Holding View is that you can change the name of the Holding if its lord is your subject - this has no effect on the gameplay, of course, but it's still fun (especially in multiplayer.) Naturally, you can also rename counties.

Crusader_Kings_2_DevDiary_111013.png

That's all for now. Until next week!

that doesnt seem right. bughers and peasents with noble surnames, of random noble, probably already established, noble dynasties marrying nobles and generally acting, working, having the responsibilities/privileges and generally being treated as nobles?

I'm not sure I get what you're driving at here...

You say you can only change the name of the holding if you own it, or if its your subject. Can you still change the name if it is a subject of your subjects? For instance, your a King, and a Duke has a Count under him - can you change the name of the Count's holding?

No, but we've toyed with the idea. However, you can give money to your vassals.

would have been cool if you could make requests of vassals: like reverse ambitions; or rather like demands for construction. There could be a reward for the construction of the improvement.

This way, perhaps my overlord is feeling a little weak, and wants everyone to pimp out their military holdings. He sends out a directive (perhaps only in the provinces with a Royal Post): Improvements to Castle Baronies will please the Count/Duke/King.

would it also possible to change the name of your Duchy or Kingdom?

It would be nice to be able to decide on your primary title, yeah, and not have to go through something akin to CK1-lameness of granting that title to your primary heir and cheat-killing your current character with "Die" in the console so the heir will get the current titles as secondary ones.

As for making up entirely new names for the Realms.. That'll most likely have to be done through modding. :p

I have a question. Will Templar and Hospitallers' holdings in europe be represented in this game?

I have a question. Will Templar and Hospitallers' holdings in europe be represented in this game?

It is perfectly possible as far as we know to script them into the game at the appropriate dates, but whether there will be events asking you to donate land to the orders is not yet known. Personally I consider it quite likely though and in CKDV (or was it only DVIP?) there were events where templars asked for a local presence, which could result in one of your provinces getting a templar house. I imagine that would be the most abstracted approach and an integration with the holdings/baronies/settlements system would be the most probable end result.

If you create a new holding in a county, how does the game name them? Is it similar to children's names, in that the game offers you a suggestion which you can change? Does the name come from a list for just that county, or just that duchy, or kingdom, or culture? Or something else?

If you create a new holding in a county, how does the game name them? Is it similar to children's names, in that the game offers you a suggestion which you can change? Does the name come from a list for just that county, or just that duchy, or kingdom, or culture? Or something else?

Doomdark responded to a similar question on the first page of this thread:
Will we be able to choose which Holding serves as our capital, or will it default to the richest holding similar to the first game?

Also, how will the game handle naming new holdings? Will it have unique suggested names for us, perhaps using context like the county name + a set of culture specific generic town suffixes (like 'ville', 'shire','field' for English)?
You can move your capital at will (with a cooldown.) The names are all prescripted, eight per county.

So I think names are assigned to the particular county and culture does not affect them. And since you can change names of holdings (at least) on their screen , it is just a suggestion ;-)

According to DD there are 8 names pre-scripted per county. I'd assume it picks one that isn't being used, at random. Regardless, since you are the one creating the Barony, and you can change the names of any of your holding at will, it's not a huge deal in gameplay terms.

I'm looking forward to being Baron of God, damn, Johan, for, making, this, Addictive, game and beingsosmart.

All I'll need is a character with a desmene limit of 9.

Nick

According to DD there are 8 names pre-scripted per county. I'd assume it picks one that isn't being used, at random. Regardless, since you are the one creating the Barony, and you can change the names of any of your holding at will, it's not a huge deal in gameplay terms.

I'm looking forward to being Baron of God, damn, Johan, for, making, this, Addictive, game and beingsosmart.

All I'll need is a character with a desmene limit of 9.

Nick
If we ever get playable Muslims I'm going to be the Sultan of Swing :D

Looks like I missed that part of the dev diary... Ah I see, posts 8 and 9. I don't think they've said how the names are prescribed, though.

The spooky part is that literally seconds before checking this thread I started playing Sultans of Swing.

It would be nice to be able to decide on your primary title, yeah, and not have to go through something akin to CK1-lameness of granting that title to your primary heir and cheat-killing your current character with "Die" in the console so the heir will get the current titles as secondary ones.

Assuming equal level titles, your primary one is wherever your capital is located, so you can change it by moving the capital.

Doomdark used that name as the OE in our EUIII MP once :)