+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II - Dev Diary 15 - Buildings

Project Lead/Game Designer Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ograv View Post
    "Base tax" - what does that mean? Base tax as in EU3?
    Well, similar at least. It's just the income that the Holding provides, nominally.

Is the levy type connected to the building, the province culture, or the holder? If a mongol horde ends up conquering syria, will the buildings change to mongol instantly? Or will the mongols suddenly end up with arab-style armies instead of horse archers? If so, how do you change it to your own type of levy?

If I go crusadin' and grab a mongol province (perhaps one of the syrian ones I mentioned), will I suddenly be able to field a horse archer army?
    There is a basic levy that everyone gets, but buildings of the wrong culture are automatically destroyed under certain conditions.
    Project Lead
    Game Designer

Abusus non tollit usum

"Base tax" - what does that mean? Base tax as in EU3?

Is the levy type connected to the building, the province culture, or the holder? If a mongol horde ends up conquering syria, will the buildings change to mongol instantly? Or will the mongols suddenly end up with arab-style armies instead of horse archers? If so, how do you change it to your own type of levy?

If I go crusadin' and grab a mongol province (perhaps one of the syrian ones I mentioned), will I suddenly be able to field a horse archer army?

When (not if ) I grab the Kingdom of Jerusalem area in the first crusade, will I (as in CK) have access only to arab armies, with arab sprites?

Thanks for another dev diary!
    They should end up with arab armies TBH.
    Because military is partly culture based and arabs are not naturally horse archers and thus not accepted in the mongol army as horse archers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Will it be possible for certain holdings be tied to higher titles? For instance can the lordship of Constantinople be tied to the title of the byzantine emperor?
    No. But it's scripted as their preferred capital.
    Project Lead
    Game Designer

Abusus non tollit usum

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultImpire
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

wow more thing to pour your money in. problem was that if done right (with tech advances) you get overflowing coffers @ ck1 thus only answer to spend your cash is to mass crusade so great job paradox , deus vult

Deus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant_Hogers View Post
    They should end up with arab armies TBH.
    Because military is partly culture based and arabs are not naturally horse archers and thus not accepted in the mongol army as horse archers.
    Feels a little weird as a crusader to rely only on my arab muslim levies to fight arabs. But then again, I'll have the military orders to help me.

Doomdark, thanks for the answer. Will army sprites be tied to province culture alone, or to these buildings? And will this mean I can somewhat easily recruit european-style heavy infantry/cavalry (knights) from my crusader states (by building european castles, Krak des Chevaliers-style)? Sounds nice!

Sergeant
    Rome Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    No. But it's scripted as their preferred capital.
    Ok that sounds good.

Another question would be: how well can city settlements be fortified? Some, like the aforementioned byzantine capital, had nearly-impregnable defenses, so I hope that it will be possible to heavily fortify cities too and not just castles.

PS Getting more and more excited with each dev diary, I'm really curious what else will be in that game by the time it ships in February.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by PdoxLP View Post
    Let's say I'm the HRE and the count of Holland is my vassal and I own a castle in the county of Holland. Does the count of Holland receive taxes and troops from my holding?
    No, he does not, but he will not be happy with the situation.
    Will it be a viable strategy to hold castles in this way? I quite like the idea of "royal castles" spread thoughout my realm. Would the objections of the local count be effected by whether the castle is held by his de jure leige - ie would it be easier for the king of England to hold a castle in Cornwall than it would be for the king of France?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

thats all awesome!! i assume events/decisions will change important counties names on cultural changes? as with alsace-lorriane in V2
    as for the culture thing, are there any differences or benefits say welsh over english? or is it just the big mongol/european/arabic groups thats have special qualities?
    Nationality: New Zealander
    Religion: Roman Catholic
    Ideology: Distributist
    Issues: Moralism/Full Citizenship
    How did some slip of a girlyboy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

Don't Press the O
    "There's nothing sicker in society
    Than a lack of liquor and sobriety!"

Quote Originally Posted by Orinsul View Post
    thats all awesome!! i assume events/decisions will change important counties names on cultural changes?
    as for the culture thing, are there any differences or benefits say welsh over english? or is it just the big mongol/european/arabic groups thats have special qualities?
    It's mostly the big culture groups.
    Project Lead
    Game Designer

Abusus non tollit usum

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficus View Post
    What the hell is a donjon?

*googles donjon*

Oh, it's a keep. Why not just call it a keep then?
    Donjon is also the origin of the term dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Ok that sounds good.

Another question would be: how well can city settlements be fortified? Some, like the aforementioned byzantine capital, had nearly-impregnable defenses, so I hope that it will be possible to heavily fortify cities too and not just castles.

PS Getting more and more excited with each dev diary, I'm really curious what else will be in that game by the time it ships in February.
    Cities can also be fortified of course, but not quite up to the level of military Holdings (castles).
    Project Lead
    Game Designer

Abusus non tollit usum

Cities can also be fortified of course, but not quite up to the level of military Holdings (castles).
    So constantinopel is no expection with it's doubel(triple?) walls?

Deus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

By the way, since you can only hold castle holdings (you can only hold castles as baronies.. right?), not cities or churches in your demense, what will happen if I end up with a claim to a city/church barony, or revoke a title to gain one? Will it change type, with special building being destroyed? Or is it even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant_Hogers View Post
    So constantinopel is no expection with it's doubel(triple?) walls?
    No, but I agree it is a unique case.
    Project Lead
    Game Designer

Abusus non tollit usum

By the way, since you can only hold castle holdings (you can only hold castles as baronies.. right?), not cities or churches in your demense, what will happen if I end up with a claim to a city/church barony, or revoke a title to gain one? Will it change type, with special building being destroyed? Or is it even possible?
    You can have the other types in your demesne as well, but they will not provide their full income.
    Project Lead
    Game Designer

Abusus non tollit usum

No, but I agree it is a unique case.
    Ah, well we always have great modders in the commuinty and this is easy to mod right(unique buildings for 1 kingdom is possible to mod(?)).

Financial Director tretii_sleva's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Nice preview but ideas like "Mongol castle" are big throw off. Aren't you even gonna consider some cultural differences that existed in real life, as Mongol Horde didn't quite build castles, etc?

No, he does not, but he will not be happy with the situation.
    Ok. Thanks for the answer.

I'm sorry but I have another question about this concept. What happens if I'm the count of Friesland and own a castle in the county of Holland? Do I pay taxes and troops in that case? Or to rephrase: do landed (in this case meaning count or higher) non-lieges pay taxes and troops for holdings they hold in someone else's county? Or to rephrase in another way: who pays taxes to counts and who doesn't?

I think the added layer below count and the resulting cross-vassalage is a great addition to the game.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Really excited about this, Gameplay wise it just keeps getting deeper...however those construction days and costs seem a bit arbitrary!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    Donjon is also the origin of the term dungeon.
    I certainly hope it is dungeon. In the sense that my spymaster can do terrible things to people in said dungeon to unveil plots.

(And so I can smirk at the screen and say "Well at least I didn't use a SPOON")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast