• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Puny AAR

Another fairly peaceful decade. Well peaceful for Carthage, for Pontus it is not as they are reduced to one province (the loss of Maeotae does however mean that the Siraces should no longer attack them over and over again bringing in their Seleucid allies, so Pontus may now possibly manage to survive for a bit, but they are extremely unlikely to accomplish anything of note). The Macedonians attack Egypt and conquer Thebes, Rhodes and Cyprus in a quick war. Unfortunately the Seleucids and Macedonians are beginning to catch up in income (while the Carthaginian manpower steadily grows).

wog0w.jpg

The Massyli recently ended up in a civil war, which is why they are at the top (it is rather obvious that their basic income is not ten times that of Carthage). The Allobroges are rather powerful in Gaul, so will not try to antagonize them. Well in 660 AUC, how does the world actually look? Well like this.

2vngos1.jpg

Civil wars in Nabatea and Massyli (in the latter one the rebels sadly did not take the one province I would be interested in securing). Carthage most powerful in the west, and the Seleucids hold the same title in the east, and with a nearly as powerful Macedonia between them that is in the process of conquering Egypt (who are allied to the Seleucids, so as things look it will be Macedonia that will eventually annex them). Allobroges and Getae appears to be the most powerful barbarians. What will the future bring. Probably more powerful Seleucids, Ptolemies losing more to the Antigonids and Carthage mostly sitting on a big pile of gold using it to build the occassional building.

-
One reason for Carthaginian passivity (apart from the fact that I'm not really the most aggressive player there is) is an annoying bug that might be related to the big size of the savegames (and the fact the computer I use isn't really that good), basically the screen freezes, but the game carries on (and I can fix it by just pressing the windows button, getting to the desktop, then click the EU:Rome icon and resume the game). Happened about one time (generally near the end) of the last two (I think) updates, but for this one it happened about 7 times. As it doesn't really do anything it shouldn't really affect much, but it does, and it is also part of the reason why the updates are getting as far apart (but the main reason for that is still that I just am lazy). Hopefully more will happen the next update.

Honestly the world is getting quite interesting, sooner or later there might be Roman scale civil wars if mass-conquering AI nations get a couple of bad events and rulers. Plus there is no more space to go on conquer spree soon.

Have the gallic nations already switched their governments to republic or monarchy?

Worrying the news of this bug which is plaguing your game, it must be very irksome to deal with. Nonetheless remaining passive at present, leaving the AI to rip themselves to pieces doesn't seem a bad idea. The only problem is that some nations are becoming rather powerful.

does look like at some stage you are going to have a huge tussle with first Macedon and then the Seleucids ... though is the appearance of Parthia a source of some hope in that respect?

Will try to avoid fighting both Macedonia and Seleucids. And Parthia has been there for quite some time now. They were one of the countries involved in the wars that looked like they would make the Seleucids completely collapse (but instead was followed by massive Seleucid expansion) after all.

Honestly the world is getting quite interesting, sooner or later there might be Roman scale civil wars if mass-conquering AI nations get a couple of bad events and rulers. Plus there is no more space to go on conquer spree soon.

Have the gallic nations already switched their governments to republic or monarchy?

Allobroges and Aedui are tribal republics, rest of the nearby tribes still have their basic tribal governments except the Carpetani who have become a tribal monarchy.

Worrying the news of this bug which is plaguing your game, it must be very irksome to deal with. Nonetheless remaining passive at present, leaving the AI to rip themselves to pieces doesn't seem a bad idea. The only problem is that some nations are becoming rather powerful.

Got the bug twice this time before even unpausing...
The downside of remaining passive is that Macedonia and the Seleucids simply doesn't look like they are going to war with each other, and since they are the only AIs capable of stopping or even slowing down the other, well I have to act fairly soon or hope for them suffering some truly epic civil wars unless I want to sit and do nearly nothing for the rest of the game.

A Puny AAR

The time for war has finally come. In preparation two new armies are raised, one 27,000 man strong in Africa that includes elephants, and 20,000 men in Southern Italy. The Italian army will invade Achaea, have decided to attack them as that would (likely) bring in the Seleucids while the Macedonians will be left out of the war. I could just declare war against the Achaeans and then do nothing at all against them, but that would just feel silly. The other army will obviously be used in the invasion of the Seleucids african provinces supported by the army we already have in the area if need be. Well as our armies are being trained the Ptolemies are further reduced in size, they now only hold Alexandria and Pelusion. As our armies are ready war is declared. As our army lands in Messenia the Achaeans have called in the first of their allies, the Aetolians.

2wfvb4l.jpg

The next month they ask Crete to join and finally after two months the Seleucids join the war. Which does prompt the Carpetani to stop paying their tribute. And our brave army in Africa invades the Seleucid provinces there. Then Rome decides that this is the time to attack us!

qox6xs.jpg

That war last for a few months, but in the end Rome is forced to pay tribute. Before that peace though, the Massyli stop paying tribute and a 16,000 man strong Seleucid army is completely destroyed in a single battle, only lost 2000 men. Unfortunately the Achaeans manage to strengthen their army enough to face ours, and our invasion force is destroyed. Worse is that the Seleucid fleet catches one of ours and destroy it, could have been saved if not for it fleeing in the wrong direction, away from friendly ports. 50 ships gone, slightly more then one third of our naval forces, this kind of thing is why I generally act defensively with my fleet and rarely ventures away from the coastal areas I do control.

Another Seleucid army is destroyed in Africa, took more then one battle this time though, and the Seleucids send in their best general, one Selagus Seleucid. Luckily I have an equally great one to face him. The fighting is fierce and in the end my great general dies heroically in battle while theirs is captured. Unfortunately they find a reasonably good replacement for Selagus (I also have generals a general of similar skill so leadership remains fairly equal with 1 or 2 good each, and the rest mediocre, unfortunately they do have a slight tech advantage, which is something that can really decide things at sea, and considering how decisive naval battles can be my fleet spends most of it time in port, which is what the Seleucid navy also seems to do).

Unfortunately their army can't be crushed and more Seleucid armies are arriving at Barca (after marching along the coast, luckily they do not try any landings, while I do keep reasonable armies defending the different parts of my country, their army is still larger then mine, and I prefer being able to focus on one area. And my local generals tend to be mediocre (not that theirs are much better)). The fighting is fierce, and although they slowly drive my armies back towards Leptis Magna and further, it is not without losses. As the fighting shifts from initially just around Corniclanum to Leptis, and later Oea and Sabratha their manpower is finally depleted. Unfortunately mine is going the same way and will be depleted shortly anyway. And their armies are still fairly sizeable.

Our Massilian allies decide to start a war with invading Lusitani. Well as the Lusitani is busy being beaten up by the Allobroges (who have reduced the Aedui to one province) I don't really need to do anything in that war, my local armies act defensively as to avoid attrition which would be experienced if I went to the offensive against the Lusitani. My navy is unfortunately caught and nearly destroyed, was careless and left it outside Leptis long enough for the Seleucids to respond with their navy. Rome goes to war again and is promptly beaten and forced to pay tribute again.

After seven years of fighting Carthage is hardly in a position to fight anymore. Leptis has fallen, there is no manpower and a Seleucid army has landed on Corsica, the remains of the Carthaginian navy not enough to discourage such actions, and I have even been forced to send my Sicilian army to Africa, luckily the main army in Italy has been enough to deal with the Romans. The Seleucids are not in any great shape either, with no manpower of their own, but their armies are still larger, and while large number of mercenaries could be hired and thrown into battle, further fighting would just increase the risk of invasion by the Allobroges or Insubres, while there isn't anyone that could be expected to invade the Seleucids, as their neighbours are all either too weak, or just too friendly with them(like the Macedonians). 50 gold is paid to get peace.

11rb3nn.jpg

Peace is also signed with the Lusitani who having been beaten up by Massilia agrees to cede Ceretani to us. There is peace and the new mission is one I agree with. Recover from the war. Carthage needs some peace, and hopefully will be able to get it.

107p0dv.jpg

So what of the rest of the world in 670 AUC?

2vccdbp.jpg

The Ptolemies was in another war with Macedonia but got away with just paying them, maybe Pelusium ended up occupied by some Macedonian ally. And the Allobroges have almost unified Gaul under their rule. Good for them.

Epic indeed, even if the result turned out to be a bit rough for you. Here's hoping they do a worse job recovering than you do.

Gotta love how the AI has created several proper empires to give you such a challenge.

This will get pretty massive if the greeks want to continue this way.

I just love the "opportunistic AI" in this game, "hey! They're a major ~40 province nation that has kicked our ass up and down before and we're TPM but they're at war with another big country, let's attack with one militia unit!!" :D

I am afraid to say that this AAR has ended. Technically I could resurrect it as I still have the savegames, but as it is I think it is unlikely that will happen. Things did look like they could become interesting, the Seleucid-Macedonian alliance had ended, in fact they went to war (got a CTD just after the war started, so the last save is before it, but only by a few months so not much time lost, no guarantee they would end up at war again but still there would be no alliance between them). Tried the savegame trimmer and while it worked (probably, I didn't try to load any of them but it did produce some smaller savegames) with my other savegames they were much smaller, trying it with this one just resulted in java running out of memory. Well it was fun while it lasted.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sad to hear that, especially with the interesting challenges still remaining. But thanks for the AAR, it was a really good one!

The last man standing fight between you and the east would have been great to see but perhaps it's good to let it end when everything is alright.

Thanks for writing and sharing this, now to start another one... ;)