• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Puny AAR

Thought I would start by showing who we are actually trading with at the moment, our relations with them as well as who are paying tribute to us and who are our allies. Our manpower has not yet recovered but it shouldn't take long (max is around 55k). Our technology is at about the same level as the Seleucids, while countries like Rome are around 15.

9tmxhe.jpg

Anyway, in the east the war between the Seleucids and Pontus end. Unfortunately it ended poorly for Pontus, and they lost Paphlagonia, Meskheti and Coraxi.

1zqtwyr.jpg

Well peace reigns for some more years, and then as our manpower has recovered we receive the wonderful news about civil war in the Seleucid Empire. The downside is that the rebels hardly seem strong enough and if that was not enough they don't have any provinces we want. Hopefully they can last, but for now war is declared on Rome. Rome has recovered reasonably well, their army might not be as large as previously but they do have some monetary reserves this time.

There is fierce fighting in Latium. I do win the first battle and lay siege to Rome, but the Romans keep trying to dislodge my army, and they eventually not only successfully beat my army, but manages to besiege and then occupy our cities in Campania. As the Seleucid civil war ends (as expected, one good thing though is that Macedonia no longer pay tribute to the Seleucids, unfortunately they are still allied) the Romans are in Lucania. I manage to defeat them and eventually crush their army, end up with only Apulia and Corfinium in the peace though, if I had occupied it would have tried to get Samnium as well.

ofovhv.jpg

So what about the rest of the world in 630 AUC? Well the Seleucids are strong, they annexed Pergamon during this decade as well as beating up Pontus as previously mentioned. The Allobroges are doing well if they plan to unite Gaul, they would still need to conquer Aedui to do so, which they surely seem capable of doing.

o767a8.jpg

Last edited:
Is the plan to diplo-annex your North African neighbors? Would it be worthwhile to conquer Mauri (since they are not tributaries)?

It seems that there are 2 un-colonised spots, 1 in spain(probably your neigboring provinces is too uncivilised) and 1 in north africa between Massyli and Garamantes. How about conquering Massilia's 2 provinces and then the Insubres + Boii so you have Rome surrounded? I guess this would mean you will border the somewhat strong Allobroges, who are probably allied to the barbaric tribes in the vicinity!

Awaiting for Lusitani and Allobroges to clash together... :D Would make one heck of a mess in the Iberia/Gallia area :p

Impressive how quickly Rome has been brought low. Doubtless they will be polished off soon and then you'll have a number of targets to consider next.

Is the plan to diplo-annex your North African neighbors? Would it be worthwhile to conquer Mauri (since they are not tributaries)?

Sadly there is no diplomatic annexation in Rome (there is a mod that allows it, but I do not use it). Conquering would only bring more money and provide nothing else, and money I do have.

Rome looks so small and vulnerable now ... it'll take 2 more wars, more or less at your leisure to finish them off, its a pity that civil war wasn't more destructive for the Seleucids though

Sadly Rome still has those two provinces in Thrace.

It seems that there are 2 un-colonised spots, 1 in spain(probably your neigboring provinces is too uncivilised) and 1 in north africa between Massyli and Garamantes. How about conquering Massilia's 2 provinces and then the Insubres + Boii so you have Rome surrounded? I guess this would mean you will border the somewhat strong Allobroges, who are probably allied to the barbaric tribes in the vicinity!

Massilia pay tribute so they will be left alone. The rest of the provinces near them though have no such protection. Will have to wait until after Rome is gone though.

Awaiting for Lusitani and Allobroges to clash together... :D Would make one heck of a mess in the Iberia/Gallia area :p

That would certainly be one result if they fought each other, or the Allobroges would just take those coastal provinces the Lusitani have in Gaul.

Impressive how quickly Rome has been brought low. Doubtless they will be polished off soon and then you'll have a number of targets to consider next.

Well did attack them at the right time. If not for that they would probably still be a real problem.

A Puny AAR

Peace is the easiest way to describe most of the next decade. At least for Carthage. Pontus gets beaten up by the Seleucids (and like practically all of their wars, the Seleucids did not start it, apart from the conquest of Pergamon I think they have not declared a single war, they are always brought in by allies). Well there are some barbarians in Africa that is defeated outside Sabratha (after they had wandered around in Massyli territory). Lusones is colonized and afterwards war is declared on Arevaci. No reason to let them live anymore. The siege of Numantia is drawn out but after just over two years it falls and Arevaci is annexed. During those years an Academy was constructed in Carthage to help our research. Our manpower is growing larger, thanks to all the slaves (especially around Carthage itself) that become freemen. The economical side effects of less slaves are not noticeable (we are still the wealthiest country by far).

So what of the rest of the world in 641 AUC? Well the Brigantes have united the British Isles, well as well as they can since they are way too barbaric to actually colonize anything. The Seleucids are growing stronger, an annoying thing is that the Garamantes decided to ally Egypt (who had recently suffered a civil war, the rebels won), Macedonia went to war against the Egyptians and of course (really annoying that the ai always calls in their allies even when it is not in their own best interested to do so, end result of this for Macedonia is that they failed to gain anything as the Seleucids signed peace with the then almost completely by Macedonia occupied Egypt) decided to ask the Seleucids (among others) to join while the idiots that goes for leaders of the Garamantes decided why not join this war on the obviously losing side in the end losing a province to the Seleucids.

219z0a1.jpg

the yellow blob is indeed ... both yellow and a huge blob, I'd forgotten about Rome's Thracian provinces, they are going to be rather hard to reach?

Perhaps it would be best to ally with the Getae (possibly Pontus, but they look a dead duck) and have them join you in your next war and let them annex Thrace. Your only other option is to annex them yourself but that means you have to go to the effort of invading them and then defending them in between a hostile pan-Hellenic alliance. Either that or Macedonia/the Seleucids may move in.

Great AAR by the way.

At this decade of peace has let Carthage recuperate quite nicely. Well, a decade of peace for Carthage and seemingly non-stop pointless war for the AI. I'm rather looking forward to when you take on the yellow blob.

Awesome AAR. Hopefully after a couple of wars, Rome will be nothing but a OPM struggling for survival. Hannibal would be proud

I wonder is Macedonia as strong as it looks like as not all of those Egyptian provinces should add more manpower to them due culture so they might be battling with the same problem as you are.

It would be very interesting to see some ledger stats or pictures to get a little what's going on in another countries ;)

Also how big is your navy and have you thought about the possibility to strangle the soon inevitable clash with the Greek blobs with it? Because you're most likely quickly out ran in manpower and units if they can attack your own soil or if you try to land on theirs..

the yellow blob is indeed ... both yellow and a huge blob, I'd forgotten about Rome's Thracian provinces, they are going to be rather hard to reach?

Yes, they are too far away for me (well could reach them if I tried, but I do not like long sea voyages away from friendly ports, would suffer more attrition then I would like).

Perhaps it would be best to ally with the Getae (possibly Pontus, but they look a dead duck) and have them join you in your next war and let them annex Thrace. Your only other option is to annex them yourself but that means you have to go to the effort of invading them and then defending them in between a hostile pan-Hellenic alliance. Either that or Macedonia/the Seleucids may move in.

Great AAR by the way.

Glad you like the AAR. As for an alliance with the Getae, certainly a possibility, though I think it may be difficult as I already have a large number of allies and the ai are reluctant to ally under those cirumstances. Though one can always hope they decide to attack the Romans on their own.

At this decade of peace has let Carthage recuperate quite nicely. Well, a decade of peace for Carthage and seemingly non-stop pointless war for the AI. I'm rather looking forward to when you take on the yellow blob.

It does certainly look like war is coming against them. And to think I started at the time they are perhaps at their weakest (before being restricted to just Syria) and that they had that nasty business where it looked like it would bring them down (which in the end only strengthened them as they managed to get Macedonia on their side).

Awesome AAR. Hopefully after a couple of wars, Rome will be nothing but a OPM struggling for survival. Hannibal would be proud

Almost there.

I wonder is Macedonia as strong as it looks like as not all of those Egyptian provinces should add more manpower to them due culture so they might be battling with the same problem as you are.

It would be very interesting to see some ledger stats or pictures to get a little what's going on in another countries ;)

Also how big is your navy and have you thought about the possibility to strangle the soon inevitable clash with the Greek blobs with it? Because you're most likely quickly out ran in manpower and units if they can attack your own soil or if you try to land on theirs..

My navy is big. 130 ships or so (two 50 ship navies, one in Carthage the other in Croton, and one 30 ship one in Spain) but could certainly be bigger, I could certainly afford it. As for the Macedonians provinces around Egypt, only Cyrene and Memphis are really worth anything. Cyrene by being Greek and actually providing some manpower and Memphis by being a very wealthy province. The rest are as you can figure out not that interesting, though every province provide some income.

A Puny AAR

Another decade, and with it is again time for war with Rome. First the Garamantes are convinced to pay tribute, should stop them to get into trouble by stupid alliances with the enemies of the Seleucids. Well on to the war. Rome does not put up much resistance this time, the Roman start off with a small army to begin with, and despite raising more men, the Roman consuls military capabilities are very limited meaning even the mediocre generals leading our armies in this war can deal with his army without much problem.

There is a civil war in the Seleucid Empire, unfortunately it does not seem to be likely to last long, nor do the rebels have the provinces I am interested in (those in Africa) so I can't just attack them to grab a few provinces. Well I keep my eyes open and watch for interesting developments, though nothing happens and the rebels are defeated after three years. But before that I end the war with Rome. By taking Tarquinii, Umbria, Picenum and Samnium, Rome is reduced to just Roma and their two Thracian provinces.

16gkbxd.jpg

As the civil war in the Seleucid Empire ends, they feel confident enough to actually declare war on someone. The unlucky country is Galatia, but it is their Nabatean allies that is forced to cede provinces in the end as the Seleucids retake Babylon and conquers Bostra.

Well time for some basic stats, ordered after income. As can be seen our lead is not as great as it used to be, the Seleucid conquest of Pontus has surely helped them, and the Macedonians are not doing bad either. On the plus side my manpower is steadily growing as more slaves are converted into freemen, luckily I have a lot of slaves in Carthage to convert, as most of my other provinces generally provide less of their manpower due to having different cultures (same group for Utica as well as most of what I started with so those provide some manpower, completely different for most other so no manpower from them). Unfortunately the conquest of Pontus has helped the Seleucids manpower as well as their income.

35kmkgm.jpg

So how does the world look in 650 AUC. Well the Seleucids are scary. Getae has expanded slightly and Rome is smaller. I am the most powerful in the west, and the Seleucids hold the same title in the east. Armenia is gone and Pontus is almost so.

33lgyty.jpg

I do like that everything seems to be steadily ever builing up for a future war against the Seleucids in what should prove a truly titanic clash. Still impressed by how deftly you dealt with Rome. Looking forward to learning of your next moves.

What will be the next move? Removing Rome from existence and preparing for the big clash?

Or have you planned taking the rest of African provinces?

given where you started, that is a pretty respectable manpower level for Carthage, but the Seleucids do look scary ... presume its unlikely they will come looking for you?

Yes, it is unlikely to come to war with us unless I start it (or they do end up in a fight with one of my allies), we may share a border, but as both of us are quite powerful, the ai is unlikely to start any war as neither of us have a casus belli against the other.

Eating Massalia looks like a tasty way to cement your absolute control of the western med. Just, you know, just sayin'.

Well they are already paying tribute (and I think I made an alliance with them as well), so probably not. And attacking them would just increase the risk of some barbarian (like the Allobroges) conquering the Massilia province (as I can't directly annex them due to them having two provinces).

I do like that everything seems to be steadily ever builing up for a future war against the Seleucids in what should prove a truly titanic clash. Still impressed by how deftly you dealt with Rome. Looking forward to learning of your next moves.

Now if there was anything important I wanted from the Seleucids (their provinces in Africa aren't really that good, so while I would not mind taking them, it is not something that needs to be done now) then a clash would be imminent. Oh, and if they weren't allied to Macedonia. Stupid Antigonids.

What will be the next move? Removing Rome from existence and preparing for the big clash?

Or have you planned taking the rest of African provinces?

Sadly Romes thracian provinces are a bit to far away for me to take, and as long as they have them I can't really finish them off. Conquering the rest of the African provinces would give me something to do I guess, but at the moment I am allied to those peoples, and several of them pay tribute (and there is trade, lovely trade), so probably not yet.