• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Eventually you'll have events in your event driven game, right?

At the moment it's looking as dull and lifeless as Sengoku.

The preview only covered two years of game time and we did see an event - the player's unlanded eldest son asking for some land.

It also looks like the plot system has a lot of room to create interesting gameplay that isn't event-driven.

Looks great as always. One little thing: the tester's machine gets bogged down around 6:20 in the video. I'm concerned that my aging machine will similarly struggle. Anything I can do to remove excess computation would be appreciated. To that end, will we be able to turn off the fancy fog? I'd rather have my aging video card displaying a higher resolution than wasting computation time rendering clouds that don't add much value.

I can't believe how polished this game is already looking. That whole bit with the main title screen showing the map of Europe, which then pans in when selecting a starting date -- very impressive. Paradox games have always had a history of being... wonderfully complex, but with a "spartan" graphical interface. CKII seems groundbreaking in this regard.

"an", as in "one"? Be still my giddy heart.

While I resent the tone I sort of agree. Thankfully, I believe there are several months worth of event-building left. Events are awesome, make many Paradox! =D

after watching the vid he clicked on a start date of stamford bridge but surely when he then clicks on full nations england should be saxon+ when he clicks on kings it seems that ireland owns parts of scotland, wales, brittany and england but in independent nations ireland is split into proviences can someone please explain why this is

ive also noticed the same in spain but that seems more logical as to my knowlidge the HRE had ownership of spain(couldnt find right word so used ownership)

after watching the vid he clicked on a start date of stamford bridge but surely when he then clicks on full nations england should be saxon+ when he clicks on kings it seems that ireland owns parts of scotland, wales, brittany and england but in independent nations ireland is split into proviences can someone please explain why this is

I'm Positively sure that Ireland dosn't own anything in either of those areas. I think it might be divided into: Kingdoms already formed, Dukedoms, and counties, because when he click on the second picture, you can clearly see western scotland going blue (which i assume is the dukedome of the isles), much of Germany gets coloured as well, as well as most of byzantium, and so on. Not entirely sure, but that's my best guess.

Oh and Lynchy, HRE had no ownership of Spain :)

So theres different background noise depending on which screen you are looking at. Nice touch, but I don't think I will be spending much time looking at the research screen:D

..Yeah, tone down such noises, Paradox. They're not kind to the ears. It at least doesn't need to be constant for the whole time the window's open.. @_@

Heh Nuril, it looks like they made Smålad pagan again on account of there being no playable duchies or counties in southern Sweden at the Stamford bridge start:D

Let's hope that's the correct interpretation of the map-modes, yeah!

And then hope the new "DLC system"-plan won't mean it's designed to disallow enabling non-Christians in order to make the DLC to enable them "required". Obviously releasing something with mechanics directed to make "Pagans"/Muslims more unique would be desirable on it's own without such an artificial crutch (especially since it's always "Muslims" that are the example, so there's also the issue of being a non-priority for such content in the first place). :)

Last edited:
What is the difference between choosing Marriage, Matrilineal Marriage, and Betrothal? Different effects?

The first one, you male keeps his name. The second one, the male takes the female name. The third one is a semi-marriage, soon to be marriage?

The map looks stunning as do the character portraits. I saw lots of variety in the portraits without the ridiculously large noses and chins that were so common in CK1.

Can't wait to pre-order.

A betrothal is a pledge to marry somebody. It is the way to arrange marriages for children before they are of age.

Also making the heir the mayor of a city excludes him from succession (11:33). Hmmm. So the heir needs his own castle? Or maybe being a mere baron is below the station of a duke's heir?

Last edited:
"an", as in "one"? Be still my giddy heart.
Do you really want to be spammed with multiple events per year? No thanks.
Events should be the spice on top of the gameplay, not the focus. Too many and the game becomes a random mess.

The available decisions are also neat:

Invite holy man to court.
Invite noble to court.
Present débuntante.

I wonder what the last one is. Maybe this creates a brand new female courtier? (In case you have need of one)

It also seems you cannot place women into advisory positions anymore except as chancellor if you pass the law. Wives add half their attributes to the ruler. So victory by simply shopping for the best female steward in the known world is not as effective anymore. Other traits might be more important now. Like whether she likes the ruler or not.

Last edited:
Oh my sweet Jesus, watching that video in HD made me almos horn...
Weeeell, looking forward so much to the summer of 2012 when I get to play with this (and hopefullt force my friends to join in a Byzantie intrigue based MP-game).

Speaking of the Byzantines, is it only me or does it seem like it's currently not possible to start as an empire?