• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, that makes sense. But for me to better understand it, how would I do it in 1.4, how do I get an idea of what is profitable?

1.4 doesn't have this screen, it's a new feature.

That's definitely something that I never considered doing. My nations usually do well to quite well in literacy, so I do well in technology. But if I did have the industry to corner that market, you're suggesting me to manually increase the national stockpile, and then flip from a Laissez-faire government into a government type that allows me to close Tank factories, is that it?

Pretty much, yes. This is something I occasionally did in vanilla. I can't speak for the possiblity/viability of the tactic in AHD.

Nice additions, both with the resources and the extra cost money and terrain wise to railways. The additional benefits to Laissez Faire can only help it from its current redundancy.

While I do want my Hedjaz Empire to conquer the globe, I have to admit I'd like maintenance cost to railways as well, if possible.

It should probably be unlocked via military tech. I'm saying this because Prussia was the first to use railways for military purposes in the 1860's and it gave them a massive advantage during the Austro-Prussian War.

Indeed. Russia also considered where to build railheads extremely important because of the need to rush troops from the interior to the conflict zones.

Good thinking, F34men00bz.

I like what I'm seeing so far. It should make for more realistic situations (Colombia and Ecuador being primarily raw export economies vs. industrial powerhouses is the first that comes to mind).

not sure what you mean. but I changed some of the display stuff for investor count during last patch for V2 to be more accurate.

railroads could be built without capitalists, right? i generally see 0 investor invests in railroads, i guess ordinary people do it.

railroads could be built without capitalists, right? i generally see 0 investor invests in railroads, i guess ordinary people do it.

that should just be how many have invested last day I believe

It's like Paradox read my mind. No more railroads through all of Africa by 1900!

It's nice to know that Paradox is also working on balancing the money situation.

These dev diaries are getting less chatty than in times past. Must be the current regime.
I may be mistaken, but I believe I see a whiff of influence here from concepts in Pride of Nations. That's not a bad thing, of course . . . . ;)
Slowing down the mad pace of industrialization can only be a good thing, in my opinion, but that combined with the big boost to capitalists under laissez fair may have the unintended consequence of greatly restricting the number of truly playable countries.

I wonder if its going to be easier to keep track of what goods you have, what you need and what factories to shut down or not now. I always end up not caring about that. And still managing to do fine...except for all wars of containment starting against me.

I'm not sure i agree with the 'where I can build' being based on RR tech. Perhaps being scattered more, like can't build RR in mountains without dynamite ( carve out the mountain side ) or perhaps based on the Life Rating of the province ( need medicine, machine guns and N&E to get all the good stuff ).
It seems a bit unfair to base the level of railroad with terrain modifiers. After all, an RR level 4 is much better than level 1 for benefits and if the cost is to be increased, wouldn't it make more sense for a level 4 to be a 4 everywhere, not a 2 in mountains, a 1 in desert and a 4 on plains? the trains and the rails would all be the same, after all, but by basing where they can be built on whether or not the builders can survive the building conditions, you are already pushing back the build time, which seems to be to be the chief purpose.
In summation, why not take the liferating of the provice/ state pre-colonized in to effect when determining if a rail can even be build instead of basing it on a technology which improves the track over-all?

Also, you could add a 'rail standardization' event, or something. Wasn't it the case that on the eastern front for WWI, one of the big problems in the push forward was the different gage of the Russian vs. German track, so that the Russian trains couldn't run on german laid track and vice-versa? Adding that as an option would also severely limit track usage, requiring an added expense to converting previous track to your current standard, and so adding more harsh realities to the RR, though that might be a difficult thing to put in to practice.

p.s. I know, they could build track in mountains before dynamite, just an idea for a technological bridge that needs crossing to connect the vast empires from sea to shining sea.

Nice changes :)

Thank goodness for these changes ^^

Now, while we are in the subject, how about a nice "build all available" button so us poor souls playing commies won't have to pause 40 mins each time a new railroad tech is researched? :)