+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: AHD DD2 – Railroads and Tradegoods

Paradox Code Kitteh Paradox Dev Team podcat's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
    Are railroads going to affect troop speed, as another commenter mentioned?
    sounds like a good idea.
    Reject reason to make the impossible possible!

Arnoldson Fnordgren Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Zealot View Post
    Yes, that makes sense. But for me to better understand it, how would I do it in 1.4, how do I get an idea of what is profitable?
    1.4 doesn't have this screen, it's a new feature.

Quote Originally Posted by The Zealot View Post
    That's definitely something that I never considered doing. My nations usually do well to quite well in literacy, so I do well in technology. But if I did have the industry to corner that market, you're suggesting me to manually increase the national stockpile, and then flip from a Laissez-faire government into a government type that allows me to close Tank factories, is that it?
    Pretty much, yes. This is something I occasionally did in vanilla. I can't speak for the possiblity/viability of the tactic in AHD.

50 games registered

A Game of DwarvesCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    DungeonlandEast India Company CollectionDivine WindHOI3: Their Finest HourImpire
    King Arthur IILead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarStarvoidThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Nice additions, both with the resources and the extra cost money and terrain wise to railways. The additional benefits to Laissez Faire can only help it from its current redundancy.

While I do want my Hedjaz Empire to conquer the globe, I have to admit I'd like maintenance cost to railways as well, if possible.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of Nations
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This change to railroads sounds nice. I'm also for maintenance-cost for them, because right now you'll simply have to much money on your hands.
    Rule Britannia - The British World Conquest, a gameplay AAR , a Victoria 2 - AAR with lots of pictures ideal to read in the morning while strolling around the paradox forum!

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Awesome... almost everything that I asked ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
    Are railroads going to affect troop speed, as another commenter mentioned?

It should probably be unlocked via military tech. I'm saying this because Prussia was the first to use railways for military purposes in the 1860's and it gave them a massive advantage during the Austro-Prussian War.

Arnoldson Fnordgren Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by F34rmen00bz View Post
    It should probably be unlocked via military tech. I'm saying this because Prussia was the first to use railways for military purposes in the 1860's and it gave them a massive advantage during the Austro-Prussian War.
    Indeed. Russia also considered where to build railheads extremely important because of the need to rush troops from the interior to the conflict zones.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Leviathan: WarshipsMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Good thinking, F34men00bz.

I like what I'm seeing so far. It should make for more realistic situations (Colombia and Ecuador being primarily raw export economies vs. industrial powerhouses is the first that comes to mind).

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

wait, didnt railroads already increase troop movement?
    You must gather your party before venturing forth!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by podcat View Post
    not sure what you mean. but I changed some of the display stuff for investor count during last patch for V2 to be more accurate.
    railroads could be built without capitalists, right? i generally see 0 investor invests in railroads, i guess ordinary people do it.
    You must gather your party before venturing forth!

Paradox Code Kitteh Paradox Dev Team podcat's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
    railroads could be built without capitalists, right? i generally see 0 investor invests in railroads, i guess ordinary people do it.
    that should just be how many have invested last day I believe
    Reject reason to make the impossible possible!

Great!

Finally we can say goodbye to the railroads on Tibet Plateau in 19th centry...

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

It's like Paradox read my mind. No more railroads through all of Africa by 1900!

It's nice to know that Paradox is also working on balancing the money situation.
    An ancient people reclaim their lost empire...
    The Land of the AARyans: A Zoroastrian Persia AAR
    Latest Update: The Rebellions of Mehrdad and Kurosh (1602-1606)

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisHoi 2 BetaEuropa Universalis IV

These dev diaries are getting less chatty than in times past. Must be the current regime.
    I may be mistaken, but I believe I see a whiff of influence here from concepts in Pride of Nations. That's not a bad thing, of course . . . .
    Slowing down the mad pace of industrialization can only be a good thing, in my opinion, but that combined with the big boost to capitalists under laissez fair may have the unintended consequence of greatly restricting the number of truly playable countries.
    HOI2, HOI3, Semper Fi, For the Motherland: Dirigierender Chefredakteur, Buchhalter der Rohstoffe
    Victoria - Revolutions: Fabrikknecht
    EU3: Reichskanzler
    Pride of Nations: Staatssekretär des Kolonialamtes
    CK2: Ausgebildeter (!) Lehrling

Is the idea of railroads require employis, like factories, under consideration?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I wonder if its going to be easier to keep track of what goods you have, what you need and what factories to shut down or not now. I always end up not caring about that. And still managing to do fine...except for all wars of containment starting against me.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I'm not sure i agree with the 'where I can build' being based on RR tech. Perhaps being scattered more, like can't build RR in mountains without dynamite ( carve out the mountain side ) or perhaps based on the Life Rating of the province ( need medicine, machine guns and N&E to get all the good stuff ).
    It seems a bit unfair to base the level of railroad with terrain modifiers. After all, an RR level 4 is much better than level 1 for benefits and if the cost is to be increased, wouldn't it make more sense for a level 4 to be a 4 everywhere, not a 2 in mountains, a 1 in desert and a 4 on plains? the trains and the rails would all be the same, after all, but by basing where they can be built on whether or not the builders can survive the building conditions, you are already pushing back the build time, which seems to be to be the chief purpose.
    In summation, why not take the liferating of the provice/ state pre-colonized in to effect when determining if a rail can even be build instead of basing it on a technology which improves the track over-all?

Also, you could add a 'rail standardization' event, or something. Wasn't it the case that on the eastern front for WWI, one of the big problems in the push forward was the different gage of the Russian vs. German track, so that the Russian trains couldn't run on german laid track and vice-versa? Adding that as an option would also severely limit track usage, requiring an added expense to converting previous track to your current standard, and so adding more harsh realities to the RR, though that might be a difficult thing to put in to practice.

p.s. I know, they could build track in mountains before dynamite, just an idea for a technological bridge that needs crossing to connect the vast empires from sea to shining sea.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by podcat View Post
    Next week we will be talking about one of the new major features for how to declare wars. Its going to be pretty neat.
    I'm in impatience. I wait the next.
    I'm sorry for my English.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Nice changes
    Imperium 1.4 (Mod for Victoria II)

Austria: efficient like the Germans, musical like the Italians and refined like the French.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Thank goodness for these changes ^^

Now, while we are in the subject, how about a nice "build all available" button so us poor souls playing commies won't have to pause 40 mins each time a new railroad tech is researched?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast