+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 130

Thread: AHD DD2 – Railroads and Tradegoods

  1. #1
    Oberkommando HOI4 Paradox Dev Team podcat's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Werfing Nebels
    Posts
    8,155

    AHD DD2 – Railroads and Tradegoods

    Welcome to this weeks development diary for A House Divided. First up we have added a new screen with more detailed information about goods:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	dd2.png
Views:	19094
Size:	957.7 KB
ID:	40793


    This is accessible from both the trade and production screens so will help both with deciding how to trade and what factories to construct or close. The much longer history graph should also be helpful for evaluating long term profitability and it lets you see how much of the total world production you are responsible for which clever players should be able to use to their advantage.

    We have also been working on some economic changes this week. Capitalists are getting a big boost (up to 3x in laissez faire) compared to governments when it comes to building factories and railroads cheaply. Overall though constructions are going to get a lot more expensive. It should no longer be a no-brainer to put railroads in each province. Currently costs are up 10x across the board, but we will see if they stay there after balance testing.

    Speaking of railroads, they are now affected by terrain. Different terrain types require a certain tech level for you to be able to construct the railroad there, so for example to build in the Alps you might be required to have level 4 researched. This minimum level also works as a penalty so a level 4 railroad in mountains will only effectively work like a level 1 basic railroad. These things combined should hopefully make for some more interesting choices on where to build your railway net.

    Next week we will be talking about one of the new major features for how to declare wars. Its going to be pretty neat.
    Reject reason to make the impossible possible!

  2. #2
    Historically plausible Dewirix's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by podcat View Post
    Speaking of railroads, they are now affected by terrain. Different terrain types require a certain tech level for you to be able to construct the railroad there, so for example to build in the Alps you might be required to have level 4 researched. This minimum level also works as a penalty so a level 4 railroad in mountains will only effectively work like a level 1 basic railroad. These things combined should hopefully make for some more interesting choices on where to build your railway net.
    Hmm, that's going affect RGO output in difficult terrain quite substantially, isn't it. Hope it doesn't make countries such as Japan all the poorer as a result of a lot of their terrain being mountainous and construction costs being that much higher.

    All in all though, I like the sound of these changes. Would like to see something more about the political game though.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

    Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

  3. #3
    Colonel Thracian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Byzantium
    Posts
    1,199
    nice changes to railroads
    can they still be constructed with 0 investors?
    You must gather your party before venturing forth!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by podcat View Post
    We have also been working on some economic changes this week. Capitalists are getting a big boost (up to 3x in laissez faire) compared to governments when it comes to building factories and railroads cheaply. Overall though constructions are going to get a lot more expensive. It should no longer be a no-brainer to put railroads in each province. Currently costs are up 10x across the board, but we will see if they stay there after balance testing.
    Great!
    1 Member of Parliament
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: Secularism
    Ideology: Green
    Issues: Climate/Peace
    Current Work: Comittees of defense and foreign affairs.

  5. #5
    Level 7 BRK's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonlandEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses500k club

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    519
    The screen's a very handy addition! I like the railroads change as well, lot more logical now.

  6. #6
    Excellent

    Can we hope that railroads might require maintainence costs as well? Those locomotives currently run on air and never break down...
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

    Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

  7. #7
    Mwahahahahaha s1234567890m's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,162
    I like the new stuff, snazzy

  8. #8
    Commissar BootOnFace's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Combined Syndicates of America
    Posts
    1,241
    so will infrastructure speed up troops for the controller and increase supply limits?
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
    -George Orwell

  9. #9
    General Ricox's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Latvia
    Posts
    2,223
    If economy is going to be as simple as in vanilla Victoria 2, then I don't see why would you even bother with "railroad networks", when you can just spam railroads in every single province like it's always done, because it's just so easy to earn money and keep tens of millions of pounds or whatever the V2 currency is and then build all you want, VRRP makes it a bit more realistic with actually high costs for ships, forts and other stuff, Paradox should take the example from that mod.

  10. #10
    Captain The Zealot's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by podcat View Post
    This is accessible from both the trade and production screens so will help both with deciding how to trade and what factories to construct or close. The much longer history graph should also be helpful for evaluating long term profitability and it lets you see how much of the total world production you are responsible for which clever players should be able to use to their advantage.
    How exactly will it help the players? Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but if there are two screens where I don't understand anything, are the Trade and the Pop screens. I mean, I know how to read them, but not how to interpret them and understand them. Looking at the data doesn't trigger anything in me, no "aha! I shall do this now and in one year time I will reap the benefits!" coming from the brain.
    ubik: "The biggest part of the Magna Mundi releases is we give the pleasure of waiting free of charge... "
    Gongji: "There is also that amazing easter egg where you must chase armies across the provinces over and over, they call it "ping ponging". It must be an easter egg as there is no way that is in their on [sic] purpose."

  11. #11
    Colonel Thracian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Byzantium
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricox View Post
    If economy is going to be as simple as in vanilla Victoria 2, then I don't see why would you even bother with "railroad networks", when you can just spam railroads in every single province like it's always done, because it's just so easy to earn money and keep tens of millions of pounds or whatever the V2 currency is and then build all you want, VRRP makes it a bit more realistic with actually high costs for ships, forts and other stuff, Paradox should take the example from that mod.
    you wont be able to build railroads anywehere you like as written in the first post
    You must gather your party before venturing forth!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricox View Post
    If economy is going to be as simple as in vanilla Victoria 2, then I don't see why would you even bother with "railroad networks", when you can just spam railroads in every single province like it's always done, because it's just so easy to earn money and keep tens of millions of pounds or whatever the V2 currency is and then build all you want, VRRP makes it a bit more realistic with actually high costs for ships, forts and other stuff, Paradox should take the example from that mod.
    Did you read the Developer Diary before posting?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Zealot View Post
    How exactly will it help the players? Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but if there are two screens where I don't understand anything, are the Trade and the Pop screens. I mean, I know how to read them, but not how to interpret them and understand them. Looking at the data doesn't trigger anything in me, no "aha! I shall do this now and in one year time I will reap the benefits!" coming from the brain.
    If you can see the price a good has been making over the previous 3 years, it'll give you a pretty good idea whether it's going to be profitalbe or not.

    Also, if you make 90 or even 100% of the worlds tanks... well, then you should stockpile them and shut down production during the war. You alone will have tanks.

  13. #13
    Oberkommando HOI4 Paradox Dev Team podcat's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Werfing Nebels
    Posts
    8,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Naselus View Post
    Excellent

    Can we hope that railroads might require maintainence costs as well? Those locomotives currently run on air and never break down...
    we have discussed it and we'll see during long term balancing towards the end of the project.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
    nice changes to railroads
    can they still be constructed with 0 investors?
    not sure what you mean. but I changed some of the display stuff for investor count during last patch for V2 to be more accurate.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ricox View Post
    If economy is going to be as simple as in vanilla Victoria 2, then I don't see why would you even bother with "railroad networks", when you can just spam railroads in every single province like it's always done, because it's just so easy to earn money and keep tens of millions of pounds or whatever the V2 currency is and then build all you want, VRRP makes it a bit more realistic with actually high costs for ships, forts and other stuff, Paradox should take the example from that mod.
    but didnt I explain that we have been upping costs 10x? as for large fleets and endgame balance it is something we will deal with once most features are in. But i agree its needed.
    Reject reason to make the impossible possible!

  14. #14
    People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Little Apple
    Posts
    10,573
    Are railroads going to affect troop speed, as another commenter mentioned?
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have finished, check out the winners!! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

    If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

  15. #15
    This should make railroads more interesting.

  16. #16
    General JimboOmega's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    Did you read the Developer Diary before posting?
    I think what he means is whether they cost 1,000 or 10,000, it does not matter, because of the scale of the tax profits.

    I also support the idea of some sort of maintenance/profit calculation. Maybe some value to moving goods or something, so capis will abandon infrastructure in the middle of nowhere (but command economies could subsidize rail corridors).

    BTW, I'm also interested to see how this would affect the profitability of factories - if they require 10 times as much steel, etc...

  17. #17
    Justified and Ancient Cinéad IV's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    1,250
    This is a fantastic development - no more level five Trans-Sahara railways! Yay!

    No more Trans-Siberian railways in 1860!

    Yet another one of those nagging wee things about Victoria that you see happening and think 'if only...' has been fixed. I salute the team unreservedly

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboOmega View Post
    I think what he means is whether they cost 1,000 or 10,000, it does not matter, because of the scale of the tax profits.

    I also support the idea of some sort of maintenance/profit calculation. Maybe some value to moving goods or something, so capis will abandon infrastructure in the middle of nowhere (but command economies could subsidize rail corridors).

    BTW, I'm also interested to see how this would affect the profitability of factories - if they require 10 times as much steel, etc...
    But this won't just reduce the cost of RR - it will make it much harder to build RR, which in turn will have a negative effect on the profitability of factories because of a lower infrastructure boost (or at least it would under the present set-up, remember I don't in any way speak for the devs and I could be completely wrong on this).

  19. #19
    Captain The Zealot's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    If you can see the price a good has been making over the previous 3 years, it'll give you a pretty good idea whether it's going to be profitalbe or not.
    Yes, that makes sense. But for me to better understand it, how would I do it in 1.4, how do I get an idea of what is profitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    Also, if you make 90 or even 100% of the worlds tanks... well, then you should stockpile them and shut down production during the war. You alone will have tanks.
    That's definitely something that I never considered doing. My nations usually do well to quite well in literacy, so I do well in technology. But if I did have the industry to corner that market, you're suggesting me to manually increase the national stockpile, and then flip from a Laissez-faire government into a government type that allows me to close Tank factories, is that it?
    ubik: "The biggest part of the Magna Mundi releases is we give the pleasure of waiting free of charge... "
    Gongji: "There is also that amazing easter egg where you must chase armies across the provinces over and over, they call it "ping ponging". It must be an easter egg as there is no way that is in their on [sic] purpose."

  20. #20
    Master of Orion delra's Avatar
    Commander: Conquest of the Americas

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    24,722
    Blog Entries
    98
    Very nice. I love the new screen and generally the idea of you working to improve the interface - most companies don't like to touch it in patches or even add-ons.
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts