Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV

Paradox Forum Manager Administrator Castellon's Avatar
    90 games registered

200k club500k club

Quote Originally Posted by James The 1st View Post
    It will need 5 more options!
    Yes but all 5 options should be the same.
    I have been dealt a good hand in life, now I am just looking for a few more cards!

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Romtos View Post
    You just, inadvertently, confirmed there is still Stability in EUIV.
    And events.
    Actually I just, advertently, made a joke.
    Relentless madman.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post
    The most important question is: Should it add another option to the Comet sighted event or start over with 1?
    The event should fire for multiple countries. The game will have to calculate the path of the comet (where the path angle distribution observed in our solar system is taken into account) according to the position of the Earth in the solar system at the moment of passing by. Then, it should be calculated how visible this comet is, depending on its proximity, size, and altitude above the horizon (when observed from the various places on Earth of course). Subsequently, the country's specifics such as the population density in the provinces where the comet is visible, the amount of sky observers the country has, etc etc, as well as how scary the comet looks to the locals (where there cultural specifics are taken into account), should be taken into account to determine the loss of stability associated with the comet.

There should of course also a possibility for the comet actually hitting Earth, thus inducing another ice age and plummeting human civilization back into another stone age.

I know. So was I. I guess mine was too hidden.

Close the worLd,.txEn eht nepO GAGA Extrem's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The most important question is: Should it add another option to the Comet sighted event or start over with 1?
    Yes, and please add a full scale 25 event spanning event chain for it!
    x)

PS: "I love the sight of comet in the morning!"

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

So you say the stability system gets reworked in EU:IV? Nice to hear!

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the Eagles
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

A 5 year old game is a five year old game (pun intended). I had seen the same declarations regarding Civ IV: graphics don't play role, release more mods and mechanics as patches and we will be happy, etc.

You can't honestly believe Paradox will win new customers with such old recipes. I am a latecomer myself, late 2011, and already see the "age" of EU3 in respect to newer iterations such as V2/HOI3. Let's not talk about Sengoku and its completely rotateable map.

The time is ripe for a EU4. And I agree that the time span should be shorter to better abstract concepts and stories...
    My AARs
    -------->>> The House of Zähringen <<<--------
    -------->>> Bismarck's Spirit <<<--------

A list of what I think:
    • Graphics are not important to me. I love the EU3 gameplay, keep that up! (When I remember the horrible game that was Sim City Socities)
    • I do not like Victoria II, I played it, it's far inferior to EU3 in my opinion. I want a game that makes it very very hard to unite Germany as Ulm, but still possible.
    • Keep the content rich. There are so many events, countries, provinces, missions and the game is pretty awesome with the latest expansion. (I couldn't go back to without expansions)
    • The AI is a bit predictable by now, but I have played EU3 for hundreds of hours, so it might be that.
    • Important: You can expand the timelife, but imo EU3 games are far less fun if you start after 1500 because by then Europe is already blobbed. Start a game with Napoleonic France and you will see how much the game will suck! There are million troops by all countries and all countries will have 20+ war exhaustion 2-3 years in the war and never accept peace. 1399 was a great start date, although bigger timeline is always better of course.
    • For me, I am a EU3-addict and would love to see a new expansion pack or EU4, but it's better to wait another 12 months with EU4 than to bring out a bad game.

200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2Naval War: Arctic CircleEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordV2 AHD BetaPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Is not time for EUIV imho

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldLost Empire - ImmortalsPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 Beta
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I think EU3 hands on itself pretty fine now. The graphics are somewhat outdated (DW solved the map ones) but anyway that's not the most important. I would say a new EU is not needed yet.
    However the big cycle is over with CK2, so the next Paradox games should be EU and EU:Rome, so time itself may say it's time for another EU. Paradox may however develop another "Rome" while EU gets a long development cycle. This "Rome" will be a new game focused on something that didn't exist before, I would say a first sketch of a new Cycle title - just like I think Rome was. In this case maybe a Dark Ages/post-WWII game (or Rome II before this one, or both).

Anyway, I think Paradox will make EU IV have a big developmente time to iron out everything and I think it's the correct thing, EU is one of the best selling/important titles and Paradox isn't allowed to fail, so they'll polish it beyond awesomeness.

Now, what I do think EU IV should have?
    1) More content outside Europe. Yes, the famous ROTW :P It's a shame such a wonder all-world game is so shallow outside Europe. Being allowed to play with minor random useless countries in the middle of nowhere are one of my favourite things about EU. It is not the "Play the big 5!" of general market. Replayability skyrockets. So please give us a ROTW where we can have e.g. a very funny campaign in Africa with only African countries (the number of provinces and countries is important, too few and it will become quasi-unreplayabale). But don't add Wastelands, all useful provinces. Make it tie to tech.
    2) Production is fine I think, but trade should be improved. In this age the big trade routes like the sea spice route were very important. I think some implementation of trade routes and their efficiency would be good. And of course regional prices, to make extremely interesting for the european countries to trade back to europe the spices/chinaware.
    3) Some mini-dynasty thing, with royal marriages. Forget faces, let just have a genealogical tree+text interface of the royal family and the available royal marriages to make, and to antecipate PUs.
    4) A pie chart for religion and culture for provinces for gradual convertions.

That's what I remember right now.
    Terra Universalis II
    For EU IV
    Another kind of whole world mod
    Magna Terra
    For EU Rome VV
    The way to be Imperator of all the Old World
    Umbra Spherae
    For Crusader Kings II
    Expand your faith and realm into all the Old World

EUIV can't start to early because irt won't accurately represent feudal society, that's what CK is there for.

Now if they could add mechanics from CKII into EUIV... after all, titles and nobility were still somewhat important...

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Arcvalons View Post
    EUIV can't start to early because irt won't accurately represent feudal society, that's what CK is there for.

Now if they could add mechanics from CKII into EUIV... after all, titles and nobility were still somewhat important...
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking actually. Playing as say Louis XIV and having all the court complexity, marriage alliances, all those sons vying for power, balancing four mistresses and the queen. That sort of thing. Or playing the Ottoman Empire and dealing with your harem, janissary revolts, and of course giving the order (or breaking with tradition for a -1stab) to have all your brothers killed on the same night with silken cords, but one runs away from Venice.

A major problem already mentioned I suppose is that outside the core countries (like France, England, the German principalities) everything feels a bit out of place or just generic. But this is a problem with any grand strategy game that lets you play any of say 500 nations.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

It should start with one option and each expansion should include one more.
    Shōgun ni naritai! Sword of the Samurai AAR

"It is because people's minds are not logical and enlightened that the Empire is in disorder. If the country is not properly ruled there will be no end to rebellions. And if anyone wishes to get the knowledge of how to rule it properly he will only find it in books. That is why the publication of books is the beginning of beneficient rule."

- Tokugawa Ieyasu

Soberanodeloepopeyico peregrino05's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

No please! no more EU please!! im tired of this game, focus on Rome or so!
    ""Spain is the strongest country in the world, the Spaniards have tried to destroy his country for centuries and they have not succeeded." O.V.Bismarck
    Monograficos ilustrados o animados hechos por mi.
    Ven al Foro Elite, Se de Elite!!
    Primer AAR español del HoI3 La guerra Civil. First spanish AAR HoI3 Spanish Civil War

unnecessary, EUIII is an amazing game alrerady. Rome II instead
    Byzantine.Hellenistic.Ottoman.Sogdian

I hope that EUIV will be a radical redesign. With simplified gameplay and console and tablet friendly controls. Preferably running on the new Bitsquid engine.

I shouldn't quit my day job...
    Not Enewald,
    Usually Elein.

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

We should re-image it into an FPS IMO.
    Relentless madman.

We should re-image it into an FPS IMO.
    Yay! EUIV - The MMOFPS with comets (5 of them)!

ObOnTopic: I think my feeling with EUIV is that I've come to cherish EU3, being the first paradox series I've extensively played. So whilst I still like Vicky, CK2 and Sengoku (never got the hang on HoI), I will probably always come back to EU. EU4 may or may not disappoint me, if it's too different or not different enough.

I do feel there's a point about shorter timespans. I've never been able to reach 1821, but have finished Vicky2. If you'd ask me what game I'd like to see next I'd start by taking EU, focus on the HRE between say 1517-1701, and work a bit more on especially the microstates in Hesse and Thuringia. Throw in a bit (not too much) of CK2, decisions/research á lá Vicky2, missions, comets, peasants and arts, and I'd spend my money....

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldLost Empire - ImmortalsPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 Beta
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by the_turtle View Post
    Yay! EUIV - The MMOFPS with comets (5 of them)!

ObOnTopic: I think my feeling with EUIV is that I've come to cherish EU3, being the first paradox series I've extensively played. So whilst I still like Vicky, CK2 and Sengoku (never got the hang on HoI), I will probably always come back to EU. EU4 may or may not disappoint me, if it's too different or not different enough.

I do feel there's a point about shorter timespans. I've never been able to reach 1821, but have finished Vicky2. If you'd ask me what game I'd like to see next I'd start by taking EU, focus on the HRE between say 1517-1701, and work a bit more on especially the microstates in Hesse and Thuringia. Throw in a bit (not too much) of CK2, decisions/research á lá Vicky2, missions, comets, peasants and arts, and I'd spend my money....
    Oh no, leave the timespan alone! One of the things I like the most about EU it's the big timespan, you have time to setup your country AND enjoy the benefits of this. In Victoria II when I get what I wanted it's already endgame. In EU when I'm in the 1700s I start to stress because time is ending. Pushing that earlier would stress me a lot more
    Terra Universalis II
    For EU IV
    Another kind of whole world mod
    Magna Terra
    For EU Rome VV
    The way to be Imperator of all the Old World
    Umbra Spherae
    For Crusader Kings II
    Expand your faith and realm into all the Old World

Quote Originally Posted by Camara View Post
    Oh no, leave the timespan alone! One of the things I like the most about EU it's the big timespan, you have time to setup your country AND enjoy the benefits of this. In Victoria II when I get what I wanted it's already endgame. In EU when I'm in the 1700s I start to stress because time is ending. Pushing that earlier would stress me a lot more
    I can certainly sympathize, reading lots of AARs. From a personal standpoint I've found it a stretch to continue to find goals once the early-game goals have been reached and the 'mmm, what shall/can I do next' phasse comes in. To some extent, missions help here, but getting 'build bigger navies than x' missions don't really help.

Ah well, perhaps I should just stop complaining and keep playing <g>.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast