• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your Xinjiang war is interesting. I have seen it start a few times but it has always ended with the swift annexation of Xinjiang for me. Did I understand correctly that this "escalation" still only means that Xinjiang and Xibei San Ma are involved, not the USSR and the Republic of China? Also, had the war ended when Xinjiang joined the Unified Front?

I remember a pre-WWII saying: "only a fool gets involved in Chinese politics." Now I see why. the unpredictability of HPP is by far the best feature of the mod for me.
BTW, has anyone ever seen the Poles give in in HOI3? I had that once in HOI2, playing as Germany. I got Danzig without having to go to war over it.

I also had that once, but as the USA! It pretty much screwed up the entire timeline, because by the time I got involved, they already finished off the USSR and I had to fight like 10 Panzer Divisions per province in Italy, along with 20 more Infantries... In vanilla HoI3 the Poles will never fold (the chance is 0). In the HPP, the chance depends on the British guarantee. If Poland is not guaranteed by the UK (ie. the decision was not fired) and they are not in any faction, then they have 50% to fold. Which won't save their ass though: Germany will still DoW them to get the remaining cores they have.

Did I understand correctly that this "escalation" still only means that Xinjiang and Xibei San Ma are involved, not the USSR and the Republic of China?

Yes. The USSR is at peace and the Republic of China is only at war with Japan.

Also, had the war ended when Xinjiang joined the Unified Front?

No. Right now Xinjiang and Xibei San Ma are both at war with Japan, they are both allied with China, but they are still at war with eachother. I'm not sure what kinds of anomalies this is causing for them though. I hope it's not too bad, because on paper it's quite an accurate representation of the historical situation in China at the time :)

Last edited:
I see you are researching something so far ahead its ineffective, what and why if I may ask?
Could that be the trouble why you can't keep up with all techs or is that just the missing Awesomeness status that is doing that?

If I had to guess, he's researching the education tech ahead of time, and possibly the research efficiency ones. In the HPP, the education tech triggers a SE that provides 0.25 leadership for every level of education you have researched, so 8 levels of the education tech would provide 2.00 leadership. Outside of the one minister, this is the only reliable way for a nation to increase its LS, since all but a few countries will likely be stuck at their international status law (main source of LS) for the duration of the game. Of the majors, Germany (which starts as a regional power with 8 LS), Japan, USSR, US, and possibly the UK have the best chance to raise their starting international status laws from Major Power (15 LS) to Great Power (20 LS). Germany, the US, and USSR have the best chance of gaining the Super Power status (30 LS), but the others might if they go overboard with IC building or conquer a lot to gain the minimum 300 IC required for the law.

I see you are researching something so far ahead its ineffective, what and why if I may ask?
Could that be the trouble why you can't keep up with all techs or is that just the missing Awesomeness status that is doing that?

I'm researching Idustrial Efficiency and Production ahead of time. Because I can ;)

If I had to guess, he's researching the education tech ahead of time, and possibly the research efficiency ones. In the HPP, the education tech triggers a SE that provides 0.25 leadership for every level of education you have researched, so 8 levels of the education tech would provide 2.00 leadership. Outside of the one minister, this is the only reliable way for a nation to increase its LS, since all but a few countries will likely be stuck at their international status law (main source of LS) for the duration of the game. Of the majors, Germany (which starts as a regional power with 8 LS), Japan, USSR, US, and possibly the UK have the best chance to raise their starting international status laws from Major Power (15 LS) to Great Power (20 LS). Germany, the US, and USSR have the best chance of gaining the Super Power status (30 LS), but the others might if they go overboard with IC building or conquer a lot to gain the minimum 300 IC required for the law.

You would be wrong, see above. Actually, in 2.0.4, it is not really a good idea to research Education ahead of time, it wouldn't be worth it. Even if you are not ahead, it takes months to gain one level, giving a mere 0.25 points, but if you are already up-to-date, it might take over a year for the same amount. The tech is useful for third world countries who need to catch up. And to be honest (ironically enough) I completely forgot about computers...

Chapter V - Fall of France and more
Chapter V

Fall of France and more

It's August 23rd, 1939, and the Second World War has just started in Europe over Poland's only noteworthy port, which happens to cut Eastern Prussia from the rest of Germany. Sucks to be them I guess. They will probably go down in a few weeks. There'll be a lot of stuff going on during that few weeks though, like the entire Commonwealth of Nations joining the Allies to fight the evil Germans, the Soviet Union backstabbing Poland but the Allies chickening out, etc. I'll spare you the details and the screenshots, it's really not that interesting.

What I will talk about is the US gearing up for war. Because we all know I will join sooner or later. Last week I would have said that it's not a good idea to gear up just yet. The decision reduces Neutrality by 5, and that would be brought back up to 100 in less than a year. But (and this is the part even I wasn't aware until I checked the files for a completely different reason last weekend): it also triggers a country flag that removes the Monroe Doctrine Strategic Effect! Unfortunatelly the tooltip is not clear enough on this, which will be fised in the FtM version. Anyway, the point is that it is in the best interest of the US player to use that decision right away, and that's what I just did. And I also left the Naval Treaties since everyone else left already anyway.

And here comes the interesting part: since China has lost over half of their territory, I can initiate the Lend-Lease Act right away! Sure, it was originally aimed mainly towards the Allies, but China and the USSR were also among the beneficiaries and in this timeline China will be the main (or at least the first) focus of the operation. The -10 Neutrality comes in handy for me: it brings my Neutrality to 85, meaning that I will lose the generic Neutrality Strategic Effect almost immediately as well, speeding up my gearing process quite a lot! Thank you, Japan! A rather subtle way of bringing the US into the war even earlier than historically! Highly appreciated :D

lend_lease.png

"Lending arms is like lending chewing gum. You don't want it back." - Senator Robert Taft.

China even has some ports to bring in the lent stuff. Neat. This also means by the way that I can make the "They went too far!" decision from now on, so after this Chapter, you can start to cast your votes whether I should do that or not. If it was up to me, I wouldn't to it just yet because of the insane Dissent I would get for it, but I will deal with it if I have to.

Meanwhile Isotope Research is finished, opening up the way towards Civil Nuclear Research. And it's only two years ahead of time! It will take over 400 days though, so let's start it right away!

I mentioned the USSR backstabbing Poland. Well, that's more like a backslapping I guess:

poland.png

Killing off your officers turned out to be a bad idea, huh? Who would have guessed...

Well, to be fair with poor Stalin (yeah, I know, the irony...), in-game that decision is pretty much mandatory unless you are willing to let the entire Soviet Union end up in yet another Civil War: they have a rather ugly modifier from the start of the game that continuously lowers their National Unity and in '37 they get another that lowers party popularity as well. It is probably possible to still avoid a coup but it will get harder and harder and there's no other way to remove the modifiers than either remove the opposition or remove Stalin himself. Which is pretty much impossible without a coup, so... You get the point. Anyway, during the Great Purge, the Russians get a metric shitload of negative modifiers to unit organisation, morale, etc. It's a challenge to win any wars with them until they get over it.

And this is the point where things took another interesting turn:

xinjiang.png

Are you sure that was a good idea?...

As a reminder, Xinjiang is still at war with Xibei San Ma but also with Japan and their lapdogs, Manchukuo, Mengjiang and China-Nanjing. Now, there's a rather stupid bug (or oversight) in HoI3: you can end up in a war where your allies are not involved but there's no way of calling them in. For the player, that is. It is not possible because the "Call to Arms" Diplomatic action is only available on the Diplomatic screen for the Axis. The AI on the other hand does not use the screen, it has direct access to the actions. There are a few cases where this wasn't thought through enough and thus the AI has access to actions the player wouldn't be. This is such an instance: the AI is able to "Call to Arms" even if not in the Axis. I'm not yet sure what will happen here but theoretically it is entirely possible that Xinjiang will call the Soviet Union to arms. The AI is usually willing to answer such calls, unless it would be against a major or someone in a faction and it is already at war with another major or faction. But the USSR won't be at war at all in a few days.

Poland surrendered (went into exile in London) on 14th of September. Using the opportunity, the Soviets negotiated for basing rights in the Baltic States. Lithuania had the balls to resist (despite the fact that the Soviets gave back all the Lithuanian cores from their Polish gains!), so that's another minor war for Stalin to fight with his completely disorganised officer corps. They were defeated quickly, but that's not all. The border-skirmish between the USSR and Japan ended with returning to Status Quo and signing a Non-Aggression Pact. But that's the past now:

non_nap.png

Tension is rising on the Soviet-Japanese border again.

On a lighter note, on 16th of October, I researched the RADAR. That's a fantastic invention that will allow me to keep an eye on basically the entire Pacific Ocean from my fortress at Guam. It's not much of a fortress just yet but I intend to turn it into one in the next year or so.

Fighting between the USSR and Japan flared up again at the Battle of Khalkhin Gol, another border incident. The outcome was a little funny:

khalkhin_gol.png

Even though the province of Khalkhin Gol was taken by the Japanese, the incident was credited as a Soviet victory overall and this time around they decided to go on with it.

Now that's interesting! I actually thought that this skirmish would be a short one as well and that it would bring the war between Japan and Xinjiang to an end as well, but that was not to be. Did Stalin chew on more than he could swallow? We'll see!

fall_of_the_dragon.png

The internal conflicts brought the downfall of China.

And this is not enough for the Emperor: they declared war on unsuspecting Tibet! The funny thing is, this automatically pushed Tibet into the Comintern! They are Paternal Autocrat, so this is not really good for them either.

In January, 1940, I recieved a new Vice-President, Henry A. Wallace. He is a Silent Workhorse, replacing a Pig-Headed Isolationist, so even though the timing is not really perfect from a historical sense (he should have replaced John N. Garner only in '41, after the election), I'm not complaining ;) That five percent gave me more IC than most American countries have all together! Anyway, since it's already 1940 and I've started gearing up for war already, I can now start training actual troops. But I won't. I'm still building some more IC. That will come in handy!

Now with the USSR at war with Japan, I can send Lend-Lease shipments to them as well. But I won't. Because screw them, they are communist scum and they will be moved down by Japan anyway. Or at least Japan will keep them occupied until Germany gets ready. At any rate, investing into them is not really worth my supplies.

So by now I recon there will be war with Japan sometime in the not so far future. Hence I have started the construction of Fort Guam:

fortress_guam.png

I'm also building Radars, but those are kinda like Ikea stuff, I can build them States-side, bring them over in boxes and then assemble them on the spot. Neat, huh?

Meanwhile, Europe was quiet. A little too quiet in the opinion of the United Kingdom, so they sent a freind of theirs to Norway called Wilfred.

wilfred.png

The idea was to provoke a German response so they could pose as the saviours. It worked a bit too well in history. Will it be any different this time?

German response didn't take long: Denmark was invaded on the next day with stunning efficiency. They surrendered within a day (or so). In a few more days Germany officially declared war on Norway (which they didn't IRL but that's how the game works...). The actual landing took a bit more, in fact, it didn't take place for quite a long time. In the meantime, Germany asked Sweden to use their railroads to transport some troops around but the request was declined! Sweden has some balls!

So, it's May, 1940, and my Industrial program is over. I have over 400 base IC with almost 350 effective already and about 80 from that is sitting idle on supplies. Time to start building up some forces.

I'll start with 3 Light Fighters. They are not really that urgent, but they take some time to form. Then I'll build three paralels of five serials of Tank Divisions with the following setup: 2xARM + 1xMOT + 1xH-ARM + 1xSP-Art. This division with the current techs has 5 Width (that won't change), 11 Hard Attack, 14 Soft Attack, 17 Defensiveness and 23(!) Toughness. Air Defence is pretty low though (3). With 40% Softness, this is a Combined Arms Division and it can take quite some punishment. Impressive, if you ask me. It has a cost though: a single Division like that eats 7.58 Supplies anf 7.6 Fuel! Which is the reason why I won't have too many of them running around. But I won't need to anyway! They are rather expensive, too, but I'm still on a Peacetime Economy, so my reserves are very cheap. Now here's the trick: in the HPP it costs a lot more to upgrade and reinforce your units than in vanilla. I'm not really sure how much it will cost me, but I'm sure it won't be as easy as it is in vanilla to exploit the reserve mechanic.

That two investations take care of my free IC completely for the time being. I'll need to either increase my economic mobiliziation or somehow get the Great Depression to fade away more quickly to get more IC. It's getting a bit annoying to be honest. I've been playing for four years now, keeping up the New Deal as much as I can but it's still as bas as it was in '36...

But at least in Europe things started to stir up a bit in late May with a German declaration of war against the Netherlands. At around the same time the Soviet port of Vladivostok fell to Japanese hands. And they thought this would be the perfect opportunity to start trying to lure me into the Axis. But as I stated earlier, I have no intention of joining that faction, so I started countering with aligning myself to the Allies. I'm still not sure if I will join them or not, but I want to keep the option open. Drifting away too much could make that impossible.

The German invasion of the Netherlands was quick and decisive. In a mere week they were able to force the Dutch into capitulation. The consequences were far-reaching. King George decided to get himself a new Prime Minister because the old didn't work out too well. Belgium began fearing for their lives and asked to join the Allies. Their request was accepted.

netherlands.png

What's not shown on the picture is the UK taking control of the Dutch East Indies. This is actually not WAD, but I'm not exactly sure what causes it...

Also, the French managed to outmaneuver themselves, as usual. The AI tends to freak out when a new front is opened and to reorganise everything it has when this happens. The first example for this are amphibious invasions where the defender will bring everything but the kitchen sink to defend on the new beachead and the other is when Germany starts to break through in the Low Countries and France brings the entire defence of the Maginot Line to defend on that front instead. The result is that the Germans are held in the Ardennes but they break through the Maginot like it was a house of straw. Quite unfortunate but it is supposedly much better in FtM.

With the ten levels of Radar finished on Guam, I've started building four paralels of three serials of Light Bombers. They will be my flying tanks, hopefully providing the required air support for my quick and decisive advance. At least that's the theory.

In the second half of June it almost looked like the Allies managed to hold up the Germans in both Belgium and France, but by the end of the month both fronts were breached.

breakthrough.png

Is it possible that the French Army will get encircled by the AI in the Ardennes? Well, let's be honest here: it is possible, but very unlikely.

Belgium capitulated on the 8th of July, but that doesn't mean that the country was completely lost, the United Kingdom took control of their remaining territory. And I think I know now why that happens: I messed up the event :rolleyes: I'll think of something better later. Anyway, the Dutch and Belgian colonies are under British control now and their European territories will be under German occupation soon. The war doesn't look good for the Allies. By early August, the Germans were on the outskirts of Paris. That's especially important because if they take the city, France will lose a lot of National Unity, which is vital to make them surrender.

By the way, I'm not sure when, but Italy has joined the war already and took over most of Tunisia. On the other hand they never actually landed in Albania. Odd. A few days into August my Neutrality gets below 70 (the Lend-Lease events helped a lot here, reducing it by 1 point every time!), allowing me to switch to Basic Mobilisation. This will increase the cost of my tank Divisions slightly, but it will decrease Consumer Goods Demand and the penalty on Resource production by 10%! Very helpful! At the same time I hire the Paternal Autocrat Henry Ford as my Armaments Minister. He is an Administrative Genius and he will help our economy immensely, giving over 40 additional IC! Actually, half of that goes to cover the increase in the cost of tanks, but still. I also appoint a new Foreign Minister, Charles Coughlin, a Paternal Autocrat Ideological Crusader. He will make me drift towards the Allies a bit more (which is somewhat contradictive, but that's how I roll!) and also increases the threat we generate, which is completely irrelevant. The others are alright.

Meanwhile in Europe, Germany is advancing relentlessly, although they forgot about Luxemburg. Maybe they were afraid that the tiny Duchy would turn out to be a world-conquering juggernaut... Well, actaully the reason is that the German AI no longer declares war on Luxemburg because it caused a lot of issues earlier (it is related to the issue I mentioned above, the AI bypassing the interface limitations). Now Luxemburg guarantees Belgium to get them involved but since Belgium joined the Allies instead of being DoWed, that didn't do anything. Anyway, this will no longer be an issue in FtM since the AI bug is fixed there.

Paris falls on August 31st. By that time the Germans are almost at Lyon and captured Cherbourg.

paris_falls.png

The fall of Paris soon brings the fall of France.

In other news, after the Bulgarian claims on Dobrogea, Romania suffered a right-wing coup and joined the Tri-Partite Pact (ie. the Axis). Bulgaria also joined the Axis on the next day. Tibet surrendes to Japan on the 6th of September.

Probably due to the distribution of Victory Points in France, it took another month to force the Vichy Armistice on France, on the 9th of October, 1940. It was a very interesting race! In the end, there were four French VP cities on the front, all of which could have pushed them into surrendering: Bordeaux, Toulouse, Marseille and Alger.

which_one.png

Which one of these cities will decide the fate of France? Guess the outcome and win a cookie!

So, this concludes the Fifth Chapter! As of now, my Neutrality is as low as 68, so very soon it won't actually make any difference to use the "They went too far!" decision... Still, using it now would cause 40 dissent and six revolts, while reducing Neutrality by only 20 points. Also with the Fall of France I will be able to use the Destroyers for Bases decision soon, reducing Neutrality by another 5 points. So, should I use the "They went too far!" decision? Cast your votes!

Last edited:
They have gone Too Far!

All shall fear the mighty Luxembourgian migrating horde! Oops, wrong AAR :)

I'd enact the decision after France falls and you get the Destroyers for Bases.

I am guessing Marseille for the city to fall and I am voting not to make the decision yet :)

Take a rain-check on the decision until you can make it without the revolts. Roosevelt loves his peeps and wouldn't want to anger them that much.

BTW, whats up with the Great Depression? You said it was as bad as the first day...in all my games as the US it got lot better by '40.

You should use more on hospitals and pension fond's, not so many weapons.
The people are suffering still.
If you give in to the militarists they will pay the price.

You should use more on hospitals and pension fond's, not so many weapons.
The people are suffering still.
If you give in to the militarists they will pay the price.

And what does this have to do with the AAR?

I assume he is still in character ;)

Anyway, to clear up some confusion: by my Neutrality gets so low that the people wouldn't mind the decision at all, it will disappear anyway. Which is very close mind you.

@moritza123: Yeah, well, that is somewhat random and it seems I'm rather unlucky. Still, as we get more and more on a war footing, the fading away will get faster and faster.

So far we have:
Let's teach them a lesson: II
We should take our time: IV

You are much less bloodthirsty overall than I expected :p

I don't see the benefit of 40 dissent. not ever.

man, this AAR is turning out quite spectacular and you're not even doing anything yet!

Your war is diverging from history somewhat... Interesting to see Japan and a puppet China at war with the USSR. That must surely make the German task a lot easier! Things are definitely looking good for the Axis - which is just perfect for a USA game! :D

My vote is to hold off for now. Oh, and I think Marseille will fall first.

That's two more for holding off for now and one more for getting into the fray ASAP. It's still 2:1 :)

Anyway, the wonderful thing about the HPP (if I may say so myself :D) is that eventhough it won't give you a historical timeline, the divergences make sense: the internal conflict of Xinjiang and Xibei San Ma distracted a large enough portion of the Chinese forces to allow for a relatively quick Japanese invasion (it only took about 2 years or so). As a result, Japan had the strength to achieve victory against the USSR in their border skirmishes (well, tecnhically speaking it was a Soviet victory for whatever reason, but the result was still favouring Japan). In turn it seems very likely that when Germany attacks them, they will have a very easy time. Japan on the other hand will probably be preoccupied and won't attack the colonials or me. But being that successful allowed me to start getting more interventionist much earlier than historical, so in the end they will still be the ones who bring the US into the global conflict.

This is sooo exciting, I can't wait for it to continue next week! :D

Wait Chuck Conghlin as FM? KILL KILL KILL KILL!

@moritza123: Yeah, well, that is somewhat random and it seems I'm rather unlucky. Still, as we get more and more on a war footing, the fading away will get faster and faster.

What are your current percentages? You start with -50% and -xx% resources, shouldn't you be down to -10% IC or something?

Would it be possible to tie infrastructure and industrial investments into the Great Depression SE? Higher investments lead to a quicker removal of the SE?