+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Sengoku-era Books & Movies?

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSengoku
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2

Best Sengoku-era Books & Movies?

I've watched Kagemusha, and recently finished the Hagakure, 47 Ronin (not really Sengoku-era, but an essential piece of Japanese literature) and am reading a great book now called 'The Nobility of Failure' by Ivan Morris.

Other thoughts?

Hate to do this man but as this is not game related, moved to history.

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSengoku
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2

Understand. I thought that the Sengoku-era focus would help folks, myself included, understand the spirit of the game better.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

You should take a look at this thread.

Captain
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and Gold
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2Majesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa, quite good. The main character in this novel is Hideyoshi, Oda Nobunaga underling.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesCK2: Holy KnightHoi 2 Beta
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Shogun, in terms of series, I would say. My own view is that it is "OK"... But if you are interested in the period, it is definetely worth seeing.

You may also be interested in checking this.
    Last edited by Tamerlan; 06-10-2011 at 21:51.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Shogun is great and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ran_%28film%29 Ran is a brilliant movie a japanese King Lear.

There's a Japanese "comic book version" - "Sengoku" - I found interesting.
    http://www.mangareader.net/1375/sengoku.html

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The manga Lone Wolf & Cub is Edo period, but it's the best fictional work about samurai Japan that I've seen on any genre.
    "It is because people's minds are not logical and enlightened that the Empire is in disorder. If the country is not properly ruled there will be no end to rebellions. And if anyone wishes to get the knowledge of how to rule it properly he will only find it in books. That is why the publication of books is the beginning of beneficient rule."

- Tokugawa Ieyasu

+ Reply to Thread