• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Installing Knuckey's mod is very simple actually. You just drop the namechange files in the events and localisation folders and you're away. :)

Arakhor

Unfortunately, I've played quite a bit already. I'll come back to the name-changing in a later screenshot, promised! :)

Chapter 12: Damn, featureless deserts

With Ireland now formed, what else was there for the High King Mathghamhain to do? Life was far from dull. Castillian diplomats arrived, asking for the invaluable Irish help in another war. Versus Benin.

153.jpg

King: "Come again?"

Advisor: "Benin, sire."

King: "No, not helping... Again, please?"

Advisor: "Benin, sire. Apparently it's a country."

King: "Never heard of it."

Advisor: "Neither have we, sire. But the Castillian diplomats were kind enough to hand us a map."

King: "Arrr... what a damn, featureless desert it is, out there!"

desert.jpg

Advisor: "Eh, the other side, sire..."

155.jpg

King: "Arrr... what a damn, featureless desert it is, out there! -- Oh no, wait! There it is, I see come colour!"

Advisor: "Yes, your majesty. That is Benin. Or so we have been told."

King: "Well, lucky for us we don't know how to get there, eh? Accept the Call to Arms, and follow the Irish Alliance Doctrine. To the letter!"

Advisor: "As you command, your majesty!"

The war turned out another great success for the Irish Alliance Doctrine. A peace treaty was signed by the Castillians soon after.

156.jpg

Soon afterwards, another Castillian diplomat arrived.

157.jpg

King: "Come again? Ashanti?"

Advisor: "Sire, that was the name the Castillian diplomats used..."

King: "Ha-hmpf. Show me the map. Arrr, it's a damn, featureless desert out there... oh, no... I see another blot of colour!

159.jpg

Advisor: "There is sire. We follow the Irish Alliance Doctrine again?"

King: "Options? None... Make it so!"

Another diplomat arrived, this time from Brittany. It seems Ireland now enjoys the protection of the Britannic crown. The irony!

158.jpg

In 1466, Irish philosophers proclaimed they had found a superior way to rule: The High King should be elected, like in the days of old. Mathghamhain I immediately set the reforms in place.

160.jpg

The only problem was, it seemed the philosophers would not let the king turn the country into a republic straight away. No, first he had to kill all philosophers, turning the country into a despotic version of its former self.

161.jpg

Then, with supreme despotic powers, Mathghamhain proclaimed the first Irish republic.

164.jpg

The election that swept over the entire country (well, let's be fair, over the entire court) saw Mathghamhain, the uniter of Ireland and father of the republic, elected as first Prince of Ireland without much fuss.

165.jpg

In a fit of roleplaying, I decided to keep Mathghamhain as Prince for his services to the country, even though his stats are only mediocre. Next on Ireland's Teardrop: More far-reaching changes of Prince Mathghamhain -- how long can he hold the crown?

Haha, I see the point re: featureless deserts. :D

Obviously, the reason the King couldn't see Benin because the Castillians didn't give him a tapestry!
Nice update, although rather featureless and deserted. :p

Why a noble republic? That would seem to imply a lack of personal unions and suchlike.

Why a noble republic? That would seem to imply a lack of personal unions and suchlike.

Same doubt here. Seemed so cute being King of Ireland! President of Ireland doesn't sound so good...
Maybe safferli envisages some benefits we do not see?

This line was absolutely classic:

The only problem was, it seemed the philosophers would not let the king turn the country into a republic straight away. No, first he had to kill all philosophers, turning the country into a despotic version of its former self.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that Noble Republics were eligible for PUs? I distinctly remember getting them in a past version of EU 3, so perhaps it is a recent change.

That was a magnificently funny update! :)

The changing governments thing struck me too. In the end...your people must be pretty damn confused about all the back and forthing. :p

Thats a very nice doctrine you've got there... it would be a shame if anything happened to it >:) Also, eventually your doctrine wont work very well, but you know that right? Also also, what are your ideas about colonising stuffs? Im sure that the whole world will benifit from an USIA(United States of Irish America)

Malurous

It's a Blackadder reference, episode "Private Plane". Well-recommended! :)

CivandEUIII

No-one can weave quite such delicate tapestries as the Irish! :p

Arakhor, Hastu Neon, Avindian, EktorGomes

Well, the decision for NR isn't that clear-cut. I decided to do so, because I like republics. I consider PUs far beyond borderline-gamey. Forcing PUs is superpowerful. Sometimes I do it, often not. For this AAR I will not be conquering in Europe, so PUs and thus monarchies are not needed. Plus, we're bringing the world democracy, freedom, and tapestries! :)

I like republics because you get nice rulers, can swap them out for whatever you need (Adm, Mil, Dip), and don't need to bother with legitimacy. As a republic you can even take the gamble and convert your ruler to a general -- I never do that as a monarchy. Ruler-generals die like flies! Plus, Administrative Republic is one of the most powerful forms of government there is. I plan to switch to that as soon as it is available.

And a Nobel Republic cannot force PUs. There is still the possibility of randomly getting a PU from your RMs, but that's nothing to strategise on, and I think it may be an oversight/bug. Republic = no PU, that's the rule I play with :)

loki100

Glad you liked it! Yes, there was some talk about "Inkas", although neither we, nor the Castillians know what, who, or where these things are...

Ashantai

The government changes were indeed strange. But the Irish are by now used to many things! ;)

Cthulufaic

Oh, the Irish Alliance Doctrine is tried, tested, and true. I think we'll keep it for the rest of the game! :)

I want to see the Irish colonize the Philippines before the Spanish do.

Malurous

It's a Blackadder reference, episode "Private Plane". Well-recommended! :)

I know, love that series. :) I just meant that, looking at the correct "side" here (i.e. the screenshot where you can only see Benin), I can understand why you'd think of that. :D

IMHO, "Noble Republic"is just an euphemism for the old Irish way: have a lot of small kings, call them "Nobles" and find the next ruler by intense and excessive infighting, aka "Election". To call the Emerald Isle a "Republic" is just a vain attempt to pacify the starving "common man" and make him think he really has a say in anything. That makes it easier for him to give tapestries to his natural rulers.

Anyway, Safferli, go on and cover Northamerica with red-haired children, whiskey distilleries and tapestries! Oh, and you definitley need to wage war against the Incas, Ireland needs the potato...

Status
Not open for further replies.