• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashantai

Thanks! :) And, yes, playing an Irish minor means you need to continuously hawk England, and find the correct moment to strike. And get lots of allies to do the work for you ;)

BootOnFace

Only the alliance leader can all further allies. Munster (still) is not the alliance leader! :)

loki100

There is strategic genius behind it, I'm sure. It's just that no-one sees it, not even the Scottish master negotiators. It's strange, usually the Scottish AI picks Northumberland or the other bordering province.

Malurous

Yes, that's the good thing about these wars. We might not get Meath, but England gets weaker and weaker.

Cthulufaic

Thanks you! :) You're pointing at a very difficult problem, here. At first, you want to weaken England, at any cost. But if you boost Scotland too much, you'll have the same problem again, just with inverted signs...

Selvetrica

I'll colonise north America, but not south. Once Ireland is formed and you've got the colonisation game running, you've pretty much won the game anyway :)

EktorGomes

Thanks, I sure hope to!

Chapter 8: Good things come to those who wait

So, Mathghamhain had promised to conquer Meath, but first he'll need to whip his country into shape. Trade income from all of the world was filling the coffers of his treasury.

095.jpg

At full minting, he could syphon off over 600 ducats a year. A vast improvement, given that his predecessors lived off less than 10 ducats of taxes a year.

095a.jpg

Immediately he set on a building spree. The infrastructure of all Munsterian provinces is improved, and a large fleet of carracks is commissioned in Munster proper, the only province with enough port facilities (and cores) to do so.

096.jpg

But not all was well. With all the luxuries from all over the world arriving in Munster it turned out that the Munster tapestries were not that luxurious at all. In fact, Mathghamhain realised that tapestries were supposed to be made of cloth, silk, finest linen, gold, and other valuables. Not of peat, as the Irish tapestry masters of old had always insisted. All old tapestries were thrown out of the castle, and with them the smell and fire-hazard went. It turned out that if you bought a tapestry for 2 ducats, you got what you paid for. Foreign, expensive tapestries were imported, but the king was unwilling to pay the horrendous price of 62 ducats a piece.

094.jpg

Supporting the Florentine School also increased to 230 ducats. Once you've got money, all kinds of beggars and freeloaders arrive at court...

Nevertheless, progress was inevitable. The new riches and cosmopolitan charm attracts many great men to the court. The master of the mint Mathghamhain FitzThomas (a brother of the king) proved especially competent. His reputation went beyond the borders of Munster, resulting in a Prestige gain. Far more important were his effects of battling inflation. Mathghamhain's (the king) spending was recklessly driving up costs of living for all citizens.

097.jpg

Meanwhile, drunk from happiness and spending, news came that England was in another war with Scotland, but Munster was somehow not invited. Are they coming on to the full extent of our Irish Alliance Doctrine?

098.jpg

Apparently not, as Castille asks for our help against the evil Novgorodians. Another war we can easily get into and apply the Irish Alliance Doctrine

099.jpg

England was forced to release Wales from the war Munster had no part in. Good for us, a country with provinces that share our culture!

100.jpg

We continue to shape the country to our likings. We have now reached the maximum limits of Free Trade propaganda possible and switch to supporting Free Subjects. Everything with "Free" in it sounds good to us, still not used to the new daylight-robbery prices of tapestries!

102.jpg

As an added bonus, our citizens are grateful and agree to charge less for our royal wishes.

103.jpg

Cores! We have played the waiting game for so long now, our recently-acquired Irish provinces are now considered part of Munster proper. No need to proclaim Ireland to get international recognition! Just surviving the wars against England for so long is also an accomplishment.

104.jpg

But it's time to expand. Meath (England) still looks strong, but Wales has two provinces that just happen to have our own culture... and they're excommunicated! Should we attack?

105.jpg

Well, better not... but you can see another cunning plan we've started, that will make our next war against England a bit more active!

Next time on Ireland's Teardrop: Will England finally fall? Are those Munster troops I see in Wales, on the border to England?

Don't forget to drive over the M4 before invading Wales. It's traditional! :)

on the subject of things on the border ... who is that lurking in Ulster? ... or are my eyes in terminal decline

not just due to their scary allies, think you are well to leave Wales - the only other likely threat to them are either (a) very confused scots or (b) a resurgent England - in case of (b) you're in trouble too - otherwise its for your taking at your later leisure.

must confess I'd never realised the advantages of making everything as 'free' as possible before, even if it does lead to inflationary prices in the tapestory markets

New tapestries? Excellent!

So, you promised to recover Meath in the next war. Basically what you are saying is:
you wait for England to be bogged down in another war (most likely against Scotland)
you station almost all troops you can muster to Wales
you declare war on England
you invade Meath with a tiny force while trying to gobble up as much of England with your forces quartered in Wales
you demand Meath and make peace with England hopefully before their other war is over

Good luck. Oh, and don't forget to guarantee Wales, if possible ally them! They could be a nice vasall to have in later times, being same culture and all!

Things are looking up I see. With a nice staging area like that and the Scots beating up England, grabbing Meath is suddenly looking very realistic.

However... Peat tapestries? *shakes head* :D

This continues to be one of my favorite EU III AARs! Is it possible, should you become wildly successful, to form Great Britain? (I suspect it isn't).

Arakhor

It is? :p We'll see what Roman roads we can find!

loki100

Free Trade and Free Subjects are my favourite slider positions. I almost always move them in that direction, and also in that order of priority. Free Trade is just great for trading, and Free Subjects gives you extra Morale and cheaper techs. Higher stability is a pain, but if you manage your country carefully, it'll be manageable.

Kerry

You've pretty much outlined the entire plan. A spy! An English spy! Burn him on a peat stake!

Malurous

Well, there isn't much else you can make tapestries out of in Ireland... Cattle perhaps :) And Irish peat is of an incomparable quality! Incomparable mainly because no-one else uses it...

Avindian

Oh, you make me blush... :blush: Munster cannot form GB, as we're in the wrong culture group. Scotland could, however, if we're not careful enough.

If you're already allied in a war with Castille then they will not be able to join Wales' war, even if you don't actively call Castille into the conflict. A neat little trick to get around nasty alliances. You'll probably want to keep them around for now though they're more useful as a place to store your troops than as territories you own, for now.

Great update! You'll get Meath soon!

Níl me Sasanach, tá me Gearmánach :( ;)
Damn you, Safferli, you inspired me to make another attempt on learning Irish while I should work on my Dutch.

BTW, whoever came up with these Irish names is taking pretty inconsistent, FitzThomas should be Mac Tomás ;)

Rabid

Ah, nice trick, I hadn't thought of that yet! Anyway, it's too late now, but I might use that in my next game...

Ashantai

Oh yes, we are!

Kerry

A German learning Dutch and Irish? If that's not a spy, then I don't know what else would count! :D FitzThomas is an English deserter, under constant suspicion of spying... ;)

Chapter 9: Once more, dear friends, once more!

Our last conquered Irish province is cored, so it's about time we grab us a new one!

106.jpg

But first, we need to rectify is glaring problem: We have practically zero manpower. After Prod. Tech 8 (workshops everywhere), we rush Land Tech 8, for the manpower boost.

107.jpg

Castille asks for our help again, and we invoke the Irish Alliance Doctrine. The war will end with a white peace for us.

108.jpg

Sometimes you can actually benefit from the random events. We centralise our holdings on our country. What's the Irish for "l'état, c'est moi"?

109.jpg

Castille is one of the first countries to be able to pick their second NI. They pick QftNM, so the race is afoot!

111.jpg

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for: We DoW England with our Conquest CB! No more nilly-willy sitting on our hands doing nothing! Our trusted allies are more than eager to help. We had stationed troops in Wales, to avoid needing to shuttle them over with a hostile Royal Navy around. Additionally, an army of mercenaries was recruited.

112.jpg

Scotland is not only doing most of the heavy-lifting in the fighting department, no they're also sending a few casks of whisky over to help feed our troops. Nothing worse than an Irish army without spirits (hard alcohol, not the magic-y type). It's not much, but every bit helps. To be honest, I'm surprised we still get war subsidies, as we're pretty rich now from trading.

114.jpg

But not only we have allies. England calls in their allies Portugal, who enter the war. Castille has brought in Bohemia as their allies, and Burgundy somehow entered the war against England as well. The more, the merrier, we say!

115.jpg

After Scotland fought one of the main English stacks, we help out destroy the retreating army. I missed the screenshot for this, sorry. But England is not yet beaten, many new units are recruited and ultimately slaughtered by our troops.

116.jpg

After the first weeks, things are going well. Scotland has cleaned the northern provinces of English armies, only a medium-sized English army in Lincoln remains on the island. Scotland moves to occupy English provinces.

118.jpg

Meanwhile, Irish troops are not idle. Mad Irishmen are at the gates of London!

119.jpg

Next time on Ireland's Teardrop: How will this war end? Can Munster unite Ireland? Irish armies are spread dangerously thin, and a 45-ship English fleet is blocking the home island... Be sure to return for the next instalment of the War for Irish Independence!

What's the Irish for "l'état, c'est moi"?

Is é an stát dom will probably do you

It does look Engliand is really not going to enjoy this particular timeline doesn't it ... nor, I guess, will Portugal as they seem to be at war with Castille

has Wales split in two in that last image?

Ah great. With that awesome coalition behind you, there's a good chance that any troops the English might have on the continent are out of the equation (I'm guessing, can't really know how the borders are down there).

Meath will be yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.