• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter 22: Nudges, and crossroads

As many have already pointed out, peacing out of the war left our vassal occupied by Scotland. Now, I thought that you cannot make peace with a vassal so it would all be good. Well, it's not the case... Northumberland is annexed. At least we managed to recruit troops to get our armies back to fighting strength.

302.jpg

Our Castillian friends do not only hand us blank maps with crosses marking the spot we need to send armies to, but sometimes also sea maps from the Castillian discoveries.

301.jpg

We still have a lot of WE from that last war where nearly all of our troops where annihilated. It's going down only slowly.

303.jpg

Naturally, as we're trying to stay low and let our WE calm down, Castillian diplomats arrive and ask for our assistance in yet another war.

304.jpg

The time is ripe for the Old Irish Alliance Doctrine -- if we didn't actually want peace to reduce our WE! We accept the fist white peace offer Mali sends us. Castille is in this war alone, with not even our moral support from the IAD.

305.jpg

Meanwhile, the chancellor of the exchequer is finding new ways to make even more money. We join the Venetian trade league just as we manage to get a monopoly in the Venetian CoT. Now, Venice can no longer boot us out of their own CoT, and we have an additional 5% of the CoT returns. Handsome sum of cash!

306.jpg

Our people are getting restless, they want Scotland attacked for getting too strong, and for annexing our vassal.

307.jpg

But first, we take the Grand Army NI. Our forces are too small to be able to fight the Scots easily. This turned out to be a waste of a NI slot. An extra 33% of Ireland's forcelimits is really not enough to justify a NI slot. Battlefield commissions would have been a better choice. Other other NI giving cash or other benefits.

308.jpg

Conchobhar Guelph, the king's High Fishing Advisor, finds the king dead in his chambers. He suffered from a tragic, tragic accident, accidentally strangling himself with his fishing rod. Guelph is elected new High King in Cathaoir Dongan's stead.

309.jpg

And before the people get too restless and revolt over the divine mandate to attack Scotland, Breton diplomats arrive and ask for our help against the evil kilt-wearers. Replying with the not very diplomatic joke "Why do Scots wear kilts? -- So that the sheep can't hear the zipper", Guelph accepts the CtA and pays the troops their salary to lift morale.

310.jpg

Next time on Ireland's Teardrop: War! How will Ireland cope this time? Can the Scottish threat finally be curbed? Can the Irish armies actually win fights this time?

Last edited:
Is it me or is the Irish royal house the most unstable thing ever?

The joke made both me and my wife burst out in laughter; good stuff!

I think your people have it right; Scotland is growing to the point where they might form Great Britain, and that's the last thing you need. It's nice of Castille to be so helpful and give you an excuse.

BTW, will this automatically trigger completion for your mission, or will it not do so because you (Ireland) didn't technically start the war?

Scotland is a beast now. Lets hope Ireland can pull off something amazing. Or else it might soon be the Scottish Throne you'd have to be loyal to!

Well, Conchobhar is clearly a war-time king.

It's lovely how EU III soldiers have such short memories, always willing to ignore the years of mistreatment whenever they've received their salaries the last couple of months. :D

Arakhor

The joke won me the "funniest team name" in a pubquiz once :)

CivandEUIII

Well, it's the traditional Irish fighting way. And as I intend to stay a republic, there'll be much, much more of this!

Avindian

Great to hear that your wife also enjoys the "maps game", as my girlfriend calls it ;) War with Scotland will trigger the mission success, no matter the reason. So, I get a new core from the IAD, at least.

Der Kantelberg

Yep, I could (still) easily NI-switch with Ireland. I'm pretty happy with my NI currently, though.

Sethanon

Scotland will need a big taking down. Luckily for us, the last war left both Ireland and Scotland with high WE. And the AI is terrible at getting WE down...

Malurous

Yes, it's the first time I picked the "military" option. Usually I think it's a waste, but I'll need all the help I can get. England didn't have Military Drill, Scotland has. And I had the help of the Scottish Military Drill troops against England, no help against the Scottish. Or are there other nations willing to help us... we'll see tomorrow! :p

EktorGomes

Hehe, thanks. Our troops need some cheering!

Der Kantelberg

Yep, I could (still) easily NI-switch with Ireland. I'm pretty happy with my NI currently, though.

Aaah, really?

I only told because of that:
But first, we take the Grand Army NI. Our forces are too small to be able to fight the Scots easily. This turned out to be a waste of a NI slot. An extra 33% of Ireland's forcelimits is really not enough to justify a NI slot. Battlefield commissions would have been a better choice.

War once again! Your 'allies' have a bad habit of landing you face first in the muck!

Great update...I loved the joke.

Out of the frying pan into the fire... Now Scotland is the bully of the isles. Hope you can trim them down a bit.
Unless Brittany is strong enough to put up a fight against the Scots, then you just have to get involved a bit to keep the balance between the two.

loki100

Let's hope so. I picked the military option specifically to get a boost against the Scots :)

Der Kantelberg

Yes, but my analysis was with hindsight. When I played that part of the game, I was pretty happy with my choices. ;)

Ashantai

Oh yes, I don't need to DoW in this game... my allies do all that for me :p

Kerry

Yes, it's a constant balancing with Ireland until you land enough colonies to make you a "big and mean enough" kid. :)

To all:

I have received a job offer that I will most probably accept. The job will start next week, so I'm taking the week off and going on a holiday with my girlfriend (the new job is in a different city). Sorry, but I won't be able to update until then. Have no fear, I have plenty of screenshots ready, and I'll resume regular updates beginning December 5th again. Thanks for all your support until now, and please return to this AAR once updates resume! :)

Congratulations on your new job! Have a nice week and we'll see Ireland bashing Scotland around soon enough! (I hope that's what Ireland is going to do anyway)

Congratulations getting a job!

So, I fail to follow your AAR for a few weeks and suddenly you changed England for Scotland as your main foe?

Congratulations getting a job!

So, I fail to follow your AAR for a few weeks and suddenly you changed England for Scotland as your main foe?

Isn't that the main goal for any Ireland player?

Isn't that the main goal for any Ireland player?

I thought you were supposed to help Scotland a bit until the Scots and English are about the same strenght and then make sure you are strong enough to conquer them both before they manage to get into the same alliance? Or make more of an effort to divide England equally between Scotland and yourself, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.