• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arakhor

You're right! They're probably Yorkshiremen cantankerous because they're getting dressed up as Northumbrians! :)

CivandEUIII

We'll see about that... but we'll fight to the end!

Avindian

Luckily for us there was no navy around. I have no idea where the Royal Navy is lurking. And believe me, I'd love to know. Lots of things would have been simpler!

Ashantai

Tell me about it... my general is 3-Fire, 4-Maneauvre and 1-Shock. Sometimes I hate the RNG...

blablablubbe, EktorGomes

England disbanded quite a few ships after their last war (no money for upkeeps I guess), but it'll probably have re-built everything by now. The English AI can print big ships, I swear!

Hah, good update, despite Ireland's loss. Time to wait for Charles I to pass and a less militarily able English king ascends to the throne.

The English AI can print big ships, I swear!
In Ireland:
"missing black ink
missing magenta ink
missing cyan ink
missing yellow ink
missing paper
missing printer"
and in England:
"print
Copies: 75000"
:p

In Ireland:
"missing black ink
missing magenta ink
missing cyan ink
missing yellow ink
missing paper
missing printer"
and in England:
"print
Copies: 75000"
:p

That legitimately made me laugh.

I work in publishing, so I refrained from commenting for fear of upstaging our dear author. :)

Qorten

Yes, one plan was to wait it out until Charles I dies. Sadly, that is now no longer an option, as you will see in the next update...

CivandEUIII, Avindian, Arakhor

Haha! :) Well, it's my terrible English language skills... that was a direct translation from a German idiom. Man, I need to brush up my English...

And no fear for upstaging me, please do so! Any joke is worth telling, no matter the costs or consequences, I always say ;)

Chapter 15: Northumberland and England united against a common enemy

With Irish troops evacuated from the British island, it's up to the Scottish to fight Charles I. They manage fairly well, but by racking up staggering losses.

193.jpg

Luckily for us, it appears we are now in a crusade. Castillian diplomats had shown the pope an empty piece of parchment and asked for help against the evil Kongolese. Suits us, we're in a crusade of our own. Against proper combatants, not people armed with fruits.

194.jpg

Sadly, the crusade is over before we can benefit from it in combat.

196.jpg

Scotland is regrouping. The army of Charles I had retreated to Northumbria, to assist the Northumbrian army in besieging their forgotten homelands. We've lapsed back into our old Irish Alliance Doctrine, the Scots even have to patrol our coasts!

198.jpg

But our navy is not sitting idle. When an opportunity presents itself, they gladly fight a single unarmed English merchantman.

200.jpg

We're just about done researching Government tech 11, for the next National Idea. After that, we're going to research Naval tech 9, to be able to blockade the English coasts. That way, winning wars will be much easier. Especially for our army...

201.jpg

With Government tech 11, we chose Military Drill. The English mean business, so they can blooming well have it!

202.jpg

Meanwhile, the Scots are taking the brunt of the attacks. The English are on the offensive, besieging Ayrshire and assaulting Cumbria.

205.jpg

After the fall of Cumbria, the English are more and more on the advantage. Charles I is now on his way to Lothian, and the Scottish capital.

206.jpg

Argh, I hate it. We take the stability hit, as that is still rather cheap.

207.jpg

The Scots are making a last stand! They've gathered all their troops in Ayrshire, desperately trying to fend off the English. They're winning -- for now. Charles I is on his way to relieve the English.

208.jpg

As soon as he arrives, the battle fortunes are immediately reversed.

209.jpg

England wins the battle of Ayrshire. Luckily for us, they also took heavy losses and regroup rather than chasing the Scots. Those brave Scots took even higher losses than we did, and the remains of their army is now on retreat into the Highlands.

210.jpg

How will this war end? Can Scotland survive the armies lead by Charles I? Will Ireland send another expeditionary force? All this, next time on Ireland's Teardrop!

Yeah, have to agree that human action is needed here if you can get the troops in (i.e. the Royal Navy isn't around). If Scotland gets beat up badly and signs a separate peace, they could become a non-factor, giving England free rein back home.

Intriguing updates, can't wait to see the results of this conflict.

This is not looking to good for the Brave Scots. I think you should intervene. How did England rope in Northumberland? I thought you couldn't do that to new allies during wars or is this some DW thing. Sounds very sneaky that you can first kick the crap out of your enemy and then force them to join you as a junior partner in a war.

Valiant_Hogers

I do have transports, but only 10. We had 10 troops got beat up badly, and these need to regain MP/Morale first. Plus, it's a little risky moving the troops over, because if I can't get them back, they're gone. But the situation right now calls for an Irishman to finish the fight!

VagabondvonLMG

Thanks! :) I just read your AAR, it's always interesting to see different strategies that other players use. We differ in our NIs and you've got a much stronger England to fight against!

EktorGomes, Malurous

Yes, by now we pretty much have no choice but to intervene -- we can't let England beat up our Scottish allies. It's always a delicate balance, as Ireland... so many enemies, all so much stronger than you.

Sweboy

The alliance leader can call other states into war. Northumberland as England's vassal will always join. And while they would have a truce against England from the war, they don't have a truce against me, as we fought on the same side. Bloody Northumbrians... :mad:

The alliance leader can call other states into war. Northumberland as England's vassal will always join. And while they would have a truce against England from the war, they don't have a truce against me, as we fought on the same side. Bloody Northumbrians... :mad:

had that once in one of my games, my great ally burgundy was weakened but eventually was vassalised. End of alliance.

Chapter 16: Outmanoeuvring Charles I

While the army licks its wounds, the Irish navy makes occasional sorties to protect the coasts from foreign invasion. In this case, Naples is sending a few galleys into the Atlantic, silly them.

211.jpg

Bravely, the navy immediately retreats into port. Stories of the English Royal Navy, owning hundreds of ships manned by zombies and driven by dark magic do not inspire confidence in the Irish sailors...

213.jpg

But, with the battles in Scotland going badly, we have no choice but to intervene. We need to keep Scotland in fighting strength, they're our most valuable ally against the English. We chose to make a landing in Lincoln, neo-Scottish territory currently occupied by the English. The small force of Yorkshire-Northumbrians is easily dispersed. The plan is to distract the English, and let them split their forces.

214.jpg

Meanwhile, we're not neglecting our economy, the only thing Ireland has going for itself. Better economy equals better military.

215.jpg

Meanwhile, back in Cumbria...

216.jpg

Things aren't going so well. While the Scottish armies were not annihilated, they are still very much smaller than the English armies, and less well-lead. We have no choice but to move our armies into this theatre of war. The war will be won or lost in Cumbria!

217.jpg

Luckily, Scotland was on the defensive, but Charles I is a formidable foe. Luckily for us, our approach was unnoticed, and we could attack Charles I flank (we rolled a 9 on the shock phase). We're actually winning this fight: the Scottish troops had already sufficiently battled the English troops. But the costs are enormous. Let us hope that this does not turn into a Phyrric victory.

218.jpg

We won! Costs are staggering, though.

220.jpg

But it turns out, Charles I is not accustomed to losing a battle. He manages his retreat poorly, and Eíhmhín Martyn can easily outmanoeuvre him.

221.jpg

Charles army arrives in Lancashire, but is too exhausted to fight -- they surrender immediately. Charles I is no-where to be seen. He must have deserted his troops. Scoundrel!

222.jpg

With Charles I out of the picture, and an entire English army bested, the Scots' fighting spirit is renewed and they fight the remaining English troops in Scotland. We're back on the offensive!

223.jpg

Lady Luck is a fickle mistress. Ireland is now on the offensive, but for how long? How will the war end? What can Ireland take home from it? And what shall we do with those good-for-nothing Northumbrians? All this and more, next time on Ireland's Teardrop!

Technically, it was the Scots who got there first, but I'm sure they were inspired by Irish leadership :) That's a mighty blow for the New Irish Alliance Doctrine! Do you have any short term goals with what you want to do with England?

Ah, the tide has turned. As long as you can keep the English from getting a new army together, you're free to do what you please with them. Looking forward to seeing what that is.

Technically, it was the Scots who got there first, but I'm sure they were inspired by Irish leadership :)

Technically, it was the English who got there first - from that screenshot it was actually them that were on the defensive side and the Scots went elsewhere. But hey, it's up to the winner to write the history, right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.