Closed Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland's Teardrop

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

The Irish kings seem very clumsy; you ought to keep an eye on them! Another great update, although you are facing quite the formidable coalition.
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have finished, check out the winners!! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Thats a lot of countries rushing to the defence. Good luck with that lol. Brittany is getting quite powerful btw, maybe it can rival Burgundy one day

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Arakhor

Hehe... it's the Irish way after all!

Malurous

Indeed, it turns out everyone on the island jumped at the chance to get back at poor Ireland...

Avindian

Oh, it's a good thing the kings are so careless. It encourages natural selection, and ensures that we get only the best rulers!

Sethanon

Yes, Brittany got quite a few provinces from failing France. But Burgundy has far richer, and far more provinces. Plus, Burgundy is the HRE... it'll prove to be quite a mouthful in a future update (hint, hint ).
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Chapter 19: Exploits galore!

So, our troops left the English island tattered. Luckily for us, our Irish navy can defend the home waters easily. We sortie to meet a Breton fleet landing soldiers on Eire.

We are too late to prevent the disembarking, but we manage to lock the enemy fleet in combat.

We win the battle easily, even though Northumberland sends ships (and an admiral) to help.

Castillian ships trap the fleeing fleet and engage. We decide to repair our ships in port and let our staunch allies deal with the nuisance.

Portugal offers a white peace after having lost a few provinces to Castille. We accept and have one less enemy to worry about.

The Castillians seemingly cannot end the naval battle in St. George's Channel. We sortie our fleet and help our allies defeat the Breton fleet. We even gain a prize ship: the Formidable!

England offers a white peace. We accept, we cannot fight all enemies at once. This allows us to concentrate on Northumbria (our main target for their past insolence), and on Brittany (our secondary target for their current insolence).

Speaking of Brittany... What follows is a quick guide on how to exploit AI weaknesses. Close your eyes if you want to keep your playing style "pure"!

Brittany had landed troops in Eire. Too many to easily combat with our meagre home troops, still badly beaten from the last landing in England. We move our army away, so that there is no adjacent army to the Breton one.

Like clockwork, the AI will now assault the province, losing men and, more importantly, morale.

With the assault done (it doesn't matter if the enemy won or lost, but if they lost their morale will be even lower), we move our army to attack the AI.

The resulting battle will (hopefully) be one-sided. We win, but the army is not yet annihilated. So we move after the fleeing enemy.

And finally win.

The English AI is so impressed by our gamey tactics that it immediately guarantees our independence. Even though we were just at war and bitter enemies. Well, suits us.

Meanwhile, Castille is taking care of Breton mainland. It seems we have the war leader defeated!

What now? Will Ireland drive the advantage home? Will Northumbria fall? Or can Scotland turn the tide? All this, next time on Ireland's Teardrop!
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Lucky you, England cowering out like that! Now show them who's boss and who rules the Isles!

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Ah, good to get those enemies out of the war. And your manpower pool isn't entirely shot either, you should have a good chance against the remaining alliance.

Of course, an added bonus with that tactic you used is the fact that even if the assault succeeds, the garrison will have 100 men or so when you arrive, making the province extremely easy to take back.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

That's a mighty big Brittany; I could learn much from you in the ways of defensive tactics.
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have finished, check out the winners!! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

No wonder Britanny is such a powerhouse. It has Paris!
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
    -George Orwell

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Yikes, I've missed a few updates.

This is a great AAR. I love how you're playing the Irish so well in a very hostile world. Many congrats for your victories over the enemy!
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

I'll no longer like you if you let Wales or Cornwall go without conquering! D:

Sethanon

Oh yes. I always prefer to concentrate on 1-2 enemies and crush these mercilessly. Then I can switch to the remaining riff-raff.

Malurous

Yes, manpower is a problem (we lost nearly our entire MP pool in reinforcements for that disastrous first attack), but given time it's replenishing. With Brittany out of the equation it's only Scotland left. Scary enough, those highlanders!

Good point on the exploit: even if you lose the province you can easily re-assault it later.

Avindian

Oh, I'm not that good of a player, it also takes a little luck. The good thing about Ireland being an island is that while the AI will send troops there, it's very bad at keeping up the pressure because it cannot mount co-ordinated naval invasions. That makes defending Ireland easy.

I'll have another gameplay "lesson" on scorched earth and retreating tactics later (at least a couple of updates).

BootOnFace

Yep, Brittany is basically the heir to France. They don't have a core on Ile-de-France, but it's a big boost already.

Ashantai

Thanks The most difficult part is uniting Ireland, because that entails winning against England. Once that's done, you've got a nice, defensible island and England was already beaten at least once. Makes the immediate threat to survival bearable.

In a "normal" game, I'd have already set out to colonise, which will give you a large advantage, and also quite some leeway in Europe because it's extra provinces the AI cannot easily reach.

EktorGomes

I think you'll like the peace treaty, then!

--

Great going, Saf.

Are you at all tempted to expand onto the European mainland?

Modern Psycho-General CivandEUIII's Avatar
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

There is a slight hint in his sig....
    Wait what happens if you cannot COLONIZE ALL THE AMERICAS?

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "I pity the fool who has to fill out 272 years of Indian history." - Cuthuthulu
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat
    "
    This ascii art is terrible." - Jacob Braughton on titin

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

first congrats on the PhD, second just caught up - looks like England is there for the taking by whoever can be bothered from now on, which leaves you and your noble Scottish allies as the grand fromages of the North West (esp as the BBB is also in a mess) ... in fact it looks like the various Irish doctrines have reduced North Western Europe to a complete shambles
    Remember, whatever the question, the answer on 18 September is Yes ...

Monzon

Thanks! No, I'm not tempted to expand into Europe. I plan to keep my nice and defensible island and Europe can go crazy over whatever issues they think is worthwhile. Too much landmass = too many armies. I cannot compete with those armies without a navy to hold them from my home provinces

CivandEUIII

If I can't colonise, I'll have to conquer! I had hoped that with my late colonisation entry the other European powers would have more colonies, so more interesting wars. With hindsight, I shouldn't have set my usual land province spread to 75 years. Oh well, next time.

loki100

Thanks Well, Scotland is getting too powerful to my liking. Plus, we are now no longer allied, because they decided to fight us But all the other countries are in a suitable mess, not posing much of a threat to me any more.

--

Chapter 20: Why does that Welsh flag have my mother-in-law on it?

The Irish navy is still busy protecting the home shores. We intercept a Northumbrian fleet with quite a lot of ships. How does the AI build up such a huge fleet so quickly?

The battle is, luckily, a rather one-sided affair. Sadly, we do not capture or sink any ships.

Scotland offers a white peace -- and, we accept. I could fight Scotland, but it's a major hassle. They have large armies, well-lead. I prefer to first teach Brittany a lesson. Besides, the Scottish and the Irish are long-time allies. Only the temporary confusion of the Scottish king in choosing which side to be on in this war put him on our enemy's side.

The war overview, we are now comfortably in the lead.

Brittany sees the pointlessness of this war and offers peace. They must be mistaken, just because we accepted every other white peace offer, doesn't mean we're going to accept every white peace offer! This one is soundly rejected.

And why should we accept? The war is going well. We are besieging a number of Breton provinces, and Castille has even sent troops to help us out! Note, Scotland has decided that it will attack England, seeing as they have a truce with us. The Hansa also decided that some English provinces are up for grabs.

We offer Northumbria a peace deal they cannot refuse. They will become our vassals for their previous insolence. No longer will they have any say in foreign matters!

With our original target out of the war, we can now offer Brittany (the war leader) peace. Wales is ceded to Ireland. Relatively poor, but still provinces of the same culture group. Plus, we might need a foothold in England for future wars. It's a risk: We cannot hope to defend the provinces against the armies of Scotland or England, and if they occupy the provinces that will be continuous WE for us. Still, I'm taking the risk, because the provinces will also give us more manpower, and more importantly, force limits.

Soon after the ink is dry on the peace treaty, Brittany guarantees our independence. Talk about short attention span.... oh! Shiny!

Castillian diplomats arrive, asking for our help in a war again. This time against Aragorn, which is allied to England. Luckily for us, England is still soundly beaten from the war against Scotland and The Hansa. We accept the call to arms.

While pondering on how to disguise the non-action of the Irish Alliance Doctrine this time, Castillian diplomats send news that the war was won after barely two years. Portugal was the alliance leader and was apparently only too delighted to give up Aragonese provinces for peace. They might have stolen a copy of the Irish Alliance Doctrine manual somehow...

We sell Northumberland Lancashire to give them a little boost. Plus, it nicely cuts the English island into two halves.

Brittany decides that it never again wants to be on the losing side of a war against us, and offers us an alliance. We accept. Also note the map of Western Europe in 1490. France is gone, and Castille is expanding steadily. England, while losing provinces on their home island by the minute, is stubbornly defending and holding on to its last remaining French province. Scotland is getting quite scary, we need to concern ourselves with them next!

Tune in next time, with more wars... only against whom? England? Scotland? Kongo? Find out in the next update of Ireland's Teardrop!

--

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

A successful Scotland, Bohemia and Brittany with my favoured Burgundians not doing too badly either. It seems a shame that you're likely going to wail all over at least one or two of them.
    Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Ancestor Moth scribe for CK 2: Elder Kings - can you rival Tiber Septim's power?
    Burgundy: A Dream of Lotharingia (a Death & Taxes AAR - in torpor)
    The Three Certainties of Life (a Byzantine D&T AAR - updated 19.02.14)

Cities in MotionDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Semper FiSword of the StarsEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Yes, Scotland must be regulated a little bit.
    But in the longer term, Burgundy and Denmark-after-annexing-Norway (as it usually does) will be your biggest foes for predominance.

A very risky scenario would happen if Burgundy beats the various French minors and Brittany and forms France. So, better not to weaken too much Brittany.
    As always, great updates!

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Nice gains in Wales. Other than the rising Scotland, things are looking up.

The remnants of England, those disconnected Scottish lands, Northumberland in the wrong place, Irish Wales, and Brittany and the Hansa have provinces too. England is a real mess.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

RIP France

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast